• Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    124861108_059dea7993_m.jpg

Wise_a on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Look, if we're being technical, virtually no "zombie movie" features real zombies.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to refer to the infected in 28 Days/Weeks Later as "zombies", although it may not be wholly accurate.

naporeon on
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited May 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Look, if we're being technical, virtually no "zombie movie" features real zombies.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to refer to the infected in 28 Days/Weeks Later as "zombies", although it may not be wholly accurate.

your mom's a zombie

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DaySleeper wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »

your mom's a zombie

yo momma's a pajama

Wise_a on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    your mom's a zombie
    She certainly was after that Hoodoo Snuff film I made of her last year.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    ChaodoomChaodoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, if you were in the shitter during that scene with Peter O'Toole.

When he gets Hector's body back?

Laaaame.

Chaodoom on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Callius wrote: »
    your mom's a zombie

:^:

I really liked Skeleton Key. Maybe it's because I don't watch a lot of that genre, but I liked the portrayal of the bayou and the presentation of the real-world evils (like the lynching) along with the mystical stuff.

Defender on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Don't you dare turn my thread into a Half-Life thread

Defender talking about crowbar ninja action made me think of Gordon Freeman almost automatically. :P

Basically, turning any character into a crowbar wielding hardass is OK because it brings them more in tune with Freeman.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Don't you dare turn my thread into a Half-Life thread

Defender talking about crowbar ninja action made me think of Gordon Freeman almost automatically. :P

Basically, turning any character into a crowbar wielding hardass is OK because it brings them more in tune with Freeman.

Yeah I felt the same way about Freeman. At first I was like "OK I'm taking down these dumb alien animals with a 9mm. Apparently I can shoot OK, and the suit is protecting me."

After I gunned down a squad of four soldiers, I was like "wait a second, I shouldn't have been able to do that." Awesome game, though.

I heard that in HL2, Breen at one point yells at his people and is all "HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ANY MILITARY TRAINING, HOW IS HE WINNING?"

Defender on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Callius wrote: »
    your mom's a zombie

:^:

I really liked Skeleton Key. Maybe it's because I don't watch a lot of that genre, but I liked the portrayal of the bayou and the presentation of the real-world evils (like the lynching) along with the mystical stuff.

Plus, Peter Sarsgaard is dead sexy, though the accent he had in that movie was kinda annoying.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    Fuck defender. Liking a movie because it's fun and keeps you entertained is good enough reason for me. Either you like it or done, who gives a shit why.

Yeah, either you like it or done. Who gives a shit why? Why bother to understand what you think? Why be able to communicate it to others in terms more meaningful than thumbs up/down? Why try to get anything more than the absolute bare minimum out of the experience? I think it's great to spend your money on something and get as little joy from it as possible, so basically I eat crappy food and wolf it down so fast I can't taste it, and I watch crappy movies and just shut my brain off so I can't get anything more than "there was fighting and computery-graphicy stuff huuuhhhhhhh!"

Dude, being entertained is not the bare minimum of joy.

If it's entertaining, I get lots of joy out of it.

I'd rather be entertained and joyful than watch a deep, philosophical and emotional film and get all depressed at the state of the world.

Yeah, being entertained IS the bare minimum. Every film should be able to keep your attention and keep you entertained. In that way, it is part of the bare minimum.

Also, something that provokes thought is not necessarily depressing. Fight Club, for example, was a really fun, stylish film that was just plain fun to watch. But it also had deeper value. And that deeper value may have caused people to think, but it wasn't (at least for anyone I've spoken to who's seen it) depressing at all.

I didn't say it was necessarily depressing.

You didn't literally say that, but you did characterize films that are more than entertaining in a hyperbolic way, including calling them "depressing." My point is that we can break this into three groups:

Not even entertaining (bad)
    Entertaining (bare minimum)
    Entertaining and contributing some other value (good)

I think you think I'm saying that movies that entertain me are "good."

I don't.

I think they are entertaining and I like them.

Sheri on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sunshine looks terrible.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Sunshine looks terrible.

D:

Sheri on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm willing to give sunshine the benefit of the doubt because of the man helming it

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So far Sunshine has been getting a lot of praise

The trailer was kinda butt so whatever

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My point is that we can break this into three groups:

I don't.

I believe in supporting only things which I believe are "good." The underlying idea here is that whatever I pay money for, whatever I feed...that thing will appear later in greater numbers. Now, I'm not the biggest spender and I don't comprise 50% of the first-world economy, but each dollar is a vote and each dollar counts, so I am careful to spend mine only on things I want to see more of.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The whole idea behind the movie makes no sense.

Solar Winter? Reignite the sun?

I don't think any of that shit is even possible. If the sun died out we would just float away from it because it's made of gas not a giant fiery rock or some shit.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't.

I believe in supporting only things which I believe are "good." The underlying idea here is that whatever I pay money for, whatever I feed...that thing will appear later in greater numbers. Now, I'm not the biggest spender and I don't comprise 50% of the first-world economy, but each dollar is a vote and each dollar counts, so I am careful to spend mine only on things I want to see more of.

You think too much.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't think any of that shit is even possible. If the sun died out we would just float away from it because it's made of gas not a giant fiery rock or some shit.

suspension of disbelief

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    WITHOUT MEDIOCRITY WHAT CAN WE CONSIDER GOOD

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So far Sunshine has been getting a lot of praise

The trailer was kinda butt so whatever

Trust me its brilliant.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't.

You think too much.

Whether or not a person thinks does not change the underlying principles. Thinking merely gives a person the ability to exercise greater control over the world through the principles, and to understand the world and oneself more thoroughly.

I don't think too much.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Borfase wrote: »

suspension of disbelief

That's partially the viewer's job and partially the movie's job. If you want me to believe in magic and elves and orcs and all that shit, I can do it, but you need to uphold your end.

Defender on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

suspension of disbelief

That's partially the viewer's job and partially the movie's job. If you want me to believe in magic and elves and orcs and all that shit, I can do it, but you need to uphold your end.

I'm totally confused as to why people are enthusiastic about Sunshine. There's no antagonist even, just horrible accidents that happen on a space ship that's going to somehow get the sun burning again. I don't even know how you'd do something like that unless you have a nearly-inexhaustible fuel source and if you had that then "solar winter" wouldn't really be a problem would it?

Also the sun is supposed to grow very large before it goes out, so I'd imagine the problem wouldn't be that the sun is fading out, but rather that it's engulfing Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars before going totally super-nova.

And this takes place in 30 years or something? Wow, the batteries on that gas-ball sure died fast huh?

Core's plotline made more sense than this movie. I am not impressed with the CGI enough to want to see it. What is the draw? I assume you people have a reason for liking this beyond it looking purty or being another global disaster flick.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man vs Nature

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

suspension of disbelief

I'm totally confused as to why people are enthusiastic about Sunshine. There's no antagonist even, just horrible accidents that happen on a space ship that's going to somehow get the sun burning again. I don't even know how you'd do something like that unless you have a nearly-inexhaustible fuel source and if you had that then "solar winter" wouldn't really be a problem would it?

Also the sun is supposed to grow very large before it goes out, so I'd imagine the problem wouldn't be that the sun is fading out, but rather that it's engulfing Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars before going totally super-nova.

And this takes place in 30 years or something? Wow, the batteries on that gas-ball sure died fast huh?

Core's plotline made more sense than this movie. I am not impressed with the CGI enough to want to see it. What is the draw? I assume you people have a reason for liking this beyond it looking purty or being another global disaster flick.

Seriously, ignore all of your bullshit assumptions, it is amazing.

A: There is no antagonist? Actually there are two. Apart from the psycho killer aboard the wrecked first ship the film portrays the sun in a menacing way as a second protagonist. It really begins to become an enemy in itself for the crew.

B: In the film they mention the bomb they are carrying has the mass of Manhattan Island and took 7 years to mine the entire earths supply of fissile material. Its really fucking huge is the point. Originally Garland wanted it to be the size of Kansas I think, but that was undoable.

C: Jesus, its a sci fi film. Suspension of disbelief is written on the ticket when you buy it.

Its great. Noone ever critisised Alien for being unbelievable at the time, it was just really fucking scary.

One thing to note. Sunshine isnt an action film, in any way. IT is pure horror. There are no guns, no sirens, no random countdowns, no explosions. Its a very tense and scary claustrophobic film.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man vs nature isn't the problem. It's that the "nature" side is too ridiculous to excuse.

Defender on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

think of it like a gas cooker

the nuclear bomb is like the match
    the real film is not about the premise but about the journey and interactions and such

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

What the..? Are you really this dumb? What does the fusion reaction taking place have at all to do with the mass of the sun?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    so like why were you and defender standing around topless anyway callius

There was a "no shirts, no shoes, no Shoe" room. Interestingly enough, that room later became Shoe's bedroom when he moved in there. We had both been in there, and it was pretty hot, so I did not feel the need to put it back on. You can see by my hair, which is ordinarily a lighter brown (I was Hitler-perfect blond as a kid), that I'm kinda sweaty there. Also I had just driven like four hours or something to get there and was pretty weary from that.

you thought it would increase your chance of scoring with callius huh? cool

bongi on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The cast of Sunshine is pretty... umm... asian? Yeah.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    C: Jesus, its a sci fi film. Suspension of disbelief is written on the ticket when you buy it.

Its great. Noone ever critisised Alien for being unbelievable at the time, it was just really fucking scary.

I think that this is important. This is the part about the film's half of the "suspension of disbelief" bargain. The audience is supposed to go in and not be all "ALIENS AREN'T REAL THESE ARE JUST ACTORS" but the film is also supposed to create a reality that they can believe, and be consistent, and not have terrible special effects or bad acting or huge plot holes. Apparently, the whole "sun's gonna burn out and we have to relight it" thing is just so scientifically retarded that people look at it and go "it's a big, burning fuel source...it will not run out unless it runs out of fuel."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    blah

B: In the film they mention the bomb they are carrying has the mass of Manhattan Island and took 7 years to mine the entire earths supply of fissile material. Its really fucking huge is the point. Originally Garland wanted it to be the size of Kansas I think, but that was undoable.

blah

Man, what?

They are going to bore a whole into the sun and blow it up, Armageddon style? That's even stupider. After it blows up is something supposed to fuel it to keep the whole sun burning?

Also, lets say this was actually possible, I think the bomb would have to be like 10 times that size for it to work.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

There was a "no shirts, no shoes, no Shoe" room. Interestingly enough, that room later became Shoe's bedroom when he moved in there. We had both been in there, and it was pretty hot, so I did not feel the need to put it back on. You can see by my hair, which is ordinarily a lighter brown (I was Hitler-perfect blond as a kid), that I'm kinda sweaty there. Also I had just driven like four hours or something to get there and was pretty weary from that.

Really just bending over would be sufficient.

Defender on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't see how you needed to bother posting in the thread then.

Yeah, because I disagree with your dumbass opinion, so I shouldn't post. Right. Hold on while I get right on that whole self-censorship-when-Scarlet-doesn't-like-it idea.
    Cool thanks, PM me when you're done.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007

Really just bending over would be sufficient.

sufficient and painful

bongi on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    blah

blah

Man, what?

They are going to bore a whole into the sun and blow it up, Armageddon style? That's even stupider. After it blows up is something supposed to fuel it to keep the whole sun burning?

Also, lets say this was actually possible, I think the bomb would have to be like 10 times that size for it to work.
    You're just pulling random bullshit out of your ass, aren't you?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    oh amn debating the science behind a sci fi movie now

wonderful

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »

What the..? Are you really this dumb? What does the fusion reaction taking place have at all to do with the mass of the sun?

It's like this:

If the sun burned out that means there is no gas left to fuel it.

So there is nothing for us to be gravitationally attracted to.

So we would all die and our planet would like, float away.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg