Options

Video Game Industry Thread: August's done, go to the new one

• Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Well, I guess Kinect now has two Killer Apps... Dance Central and Steel Battalion.

I, for one, would buy a Dancing Mech game

How do you think Steel Battalion is going to be played?

To contemplate that is to stare into the abyss.

Beware!

I'm calling it now, on-rails shooter. You point (with your arms) to shoot.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The box for Steel Battalion will come with a cardboard foldout that transforms into the cardboard equivalent of the original Steel Battalion's controller, and Kinetic reads where on the box you're pretending to push buttons.

Lars on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    In order to start the game you have to speak to your Kinect.

"Reactor; online. Sensors; online. Weapons; online. All systems nominal."

No wait wrong mech game.

"BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!"

Couscous on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    The box for Steel Battalion will come with a cardboard foldout that transforms into the cardboard equivalent of the original Steel Battalion's controller, and Kinetic reads where on the box you're pretending to push buttons.

Well Let's Tap was a crazy sounding game but I think this is in a league of it's own.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    In order to start the game you have to speak to your Kinect.

"Reactor; online. Sensors; online. Weapons; online. All systems nominal."

No wait wrong mech game.

"BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!"

Oh GOD I could just imagine pumping my arms forward and back to simulate sliding his joysticks to punch.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Activision Declines Use of In-Game Ads Out of "Respect"
    Activision's apparent new stance on in-game advertisements is that they aren't necessary.

Just when evidence had come out indicating that in-game advertisements have a positive effect on consumer spending, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has indicated a reluctance to use them at all. In comments made at a media conference today, Kotick stated that in-game ads are disrespectful to his customers.

Despite a perception by some that Kotick is all about profit, he alleges that Activision is not focused on making that profit through in-game ads. "There was a time where we thought advertising and sponsorship was a big opportunity, but what we realized is our customers are paying $60 for a game or paying a monthly subscription fee and they don't really want to be barraged with sponsorship or advertising," Kotick said. "So being very respectful of our audiences, unless it's something that's really authentic and will enhance the game experience, we're generally not going to include something in the game."

"There may be future opportunities where you might offer a consumer an advertiser-supported experience so they wouldn't have to pay for it," he continued. "But as long as our audience is paying $60 for a game or a subscription fee I think we're going to limit the amount of advertising or sponsorship incorporated into a game."

This could go a long way for Kotick's image in the eyes of gamers. In-game advertising makes sense in certain titles, like Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero that use real-world products. On the other hand, it really can be strange when you're questing through a game like Diablo III and you see a Pepsi can monster that shakes himself up and fizzes on you as an attack. Thankfully, Activison has no plans to implement such a thing.

Man, whoever this Kotick guy is, he sure sounds like he has the finger on the pulse of the gaming community.
    :wink:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Out of respect, ads will only mention how awesome Axe body spray is every five seconds instead of every two seconds.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just to clarify, I didn't imagine the video of the character you play as in the GH: Warriors of Rock demo drinking a bottle of Coke as he walked on stage, did I?

Unless using Pepsi would have been disrespectful.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I guess Kinect now has two Killer Apps... Dance Central and Steel Battalion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjMFYAdvHJc

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Make it like G Gundam.

I for one, would buy it instantly if I could do the Shining Finger.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    New Steel Batallion.

New Panzer Dragoon.

thumb_happycry.gif

Sheep on
  • Options
    KarkadinnKarkadinn Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    this might be getting off topic, but you counted overlords as a zerg unit? you might as well count supply depots as a terran unit.

They act as transports still, don't they?

...And scouts. And detectors. And creep generators. And they can morph into spellcasters.

There is no comparison between depots and Overlords, other than 'they both generate food'.

To expand on the point a bit....

If you count out the units one by one, Zerg doesn't seem particularly far behind. But if you actually analyze what the units do and what their roles are in the game, it quickly becomes painfully obvious that Zerg are left with a much more restrictive army composition. Queens were nerfed specifically to prevent them from being able to form an effective part of any offensive army, their primary use is simply to serve as a biological equivalent of what other races do for base management. Overlords (who cannot detect anything in Starcraft 2, btw) can serve as scouts, yes, but so can a Terran's flying barracks. That doesn't mean we should count buildings that can lift off as viable army units! The spellcaster they upgrade to is limited to weak non-combat support spells.

Now take a look at Terran units on the list, and ask yourself how many of them are non-combat non-offensive support units. We could also make comparisons to the two race's dropships, or discuss the nature of creep, but I think I've made the point sufficiently without getting into all that. Bottom line, Zerg has fewer viable army compositions by far.

Apologies for going off topic.

Karkadinn on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

How do you think Steel Battalion is going to be played?

Who knows. I could see it being on rails and I also see From Software going crazy and trying to get you to interact with the controls shown on-screen. Can't imagine that'd work too well, given some of the problems Kinect's had.
    Sheep wrote: »
    New Steel Batallion.

New Panzer Dragoon.

thumb_happycry.gif

Not Panzer Dragoon, just inspired by it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I dunno, I'm a huge blizzard fanboy and I still can't say with 100% certainly that Blizzard's decision to split SC2 into three parts wasn't due, in part at least, from Activision meddling. It just fits into Kotick's "Spam the shit out of every franchise" plan too well.

At this point, I'm just hoping the quality stays high.

My take is that maybe the Activision side suggested it initially, but it probably was a Blizzard decision overall. Honestly given how excellent the final product is, I can't really say it was a bad one. I don't even see how they would have done the Terran campaign at 1/3 the size - they'd have had to cut pretty much all of the non-essential missions (i.e. all Tosh and Ariel missions probably for sure, and then a few others).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. Steel Battalion without a controller. You know, at first it didn't make sense to me but then I realized they're just moving the control scheme from "awesome mech fantasy" to "Power Ranger style."

Enjoy the controller-less future, kiddies.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    320 Gig PS3 coming to Japan on 10/21

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Does it still count as trolling when you say something intended to get a reaction out of a specific person, but you know they won't be able to see it?

Unco admitted he's not actually ignoring me a few days ago, and I meant it as a lighthearted tease rather than a troll (since he absolutely loathes the new direction, and I'm sure this will make him even less happy with it--it did me, so I share his pain).

Pretty much. I haven't been shy of my dislike of Capcom since they lost Kamiya and Mikami but this is an absolute joke. Someone on GAF described Capcom as Sega in slow motion and it seems like a pretty apt comparison to me.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Does it still count as trolling when you say something intended to get a reaction out of a specific person, but you know they won't be able to see it?

Unco admitted he's not actually ignoring me a few days ago, and I meant it as a lighthearted tease rather than a troll (since he absolutely loathes the new direction, and I'm sure this will make him even less happy with it--it did me, so I share his pain).

Pretty much. I haven't been shy of my dislike of Capcom since they lost Kamiya and Mikami but this is an absolute joke. Someone on GAF described Capcom as Sega in slow motion and it seems like a pretty apt comparison to me.

Capcom still has Phoenix Wright. But he has spikey hair, is blue and has a problem being focused on less in favor of his shitty friends. Crap.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Capcom's fine

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lots of mainstream Kinect games coming out of TGS. I bet the folks at NeoGAF are pissed.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh hey

I knew if I waited long enough they'd port Muramasa over to the HD consoles. And Odin Sphere, cool.

And as downloadable titles too, neat!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capcom's fine

Yeah and so is Sega...
    Lots of mainstream Kinect games coming out of TGS. I bet the folks at NeoGAF are pissed.

Steel Battalion and Suda 51 games are mainstream?!

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capcom at least still has a few good series

Sega has two and one they've all but abandoned for the moment, while they switched the other to PSP so nobody in North America can even give a shit less

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sonic's PSP only? :P

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I said good series

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Activision's apparent new stance on in-game advertisements is that they aren't necessary.

This could go a long way for Kotick's image in the eyes of gamers.

In-game advertising makes sense in certain titles, like Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero that use real-world products.

Give me a break. In-game "real" guitars sponsored by Fender or whoever? Fine.

But in Guitar Hero 3, there was a venue where the camera started out focused on a bunch of buckets of KFC chicken before panning out to the stage. Yeah.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You gotta Double Down™ before the big show, man

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'd go for a KFC venue.
    You playing on top of a giant bucket while chicken showers the audience.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Actually

They could very well just make Buckethead a playable character, and stick a KFC bucket on his head

And that would actually make a lot more sense

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually

They could very well just make Buckethead a playable character, and stick a KFC bucket on his head

And that would actually make a lot more sense

and also a lot more awesome

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They don't have that in the game already?

Lame

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capcom at least still has a few good series

Sega has two and one they've all but abandoned for the moment, while they switched the other to PSP so nobody in North America can even give a shit less

Hence why Capcom are Sega in slow motion. They haven't fucked up all their franchises at once, they're doing it one at a time.

Would I be wrong if I said Virtua Fighter's the only Mega Drive/Saturn franchise Sega's got that's survived being shitted upon? The only other good franchises they've got these days they got well after the DC collapse (namely Yakuza, Valkyria and Total War).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, you wouldn't

The two I was referring to are, in fact, VF and VC

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Make it like G Gundam.

I for one, would buy it instantly if I could do the Shining Finger.

I was gonna say, a Kinect giant robot game makes so much more sense with Super Robot stuff, not Real.

I mean, it even has a mic you can yell awesome attack names into!

ROCKETO PAAAANCH!

And then you punch your TV

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capcom's fine

Yeah and so is Sega...

Steel Battalion and Suda 51 games are mainstream?!

Mainstream as in "not mini-game collections or dancing games"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fairly sure those things are the mainstream.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you've got it pretty backwards there max

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You fellows do remember that blizzard's done the "Stuff the game cutscenes directly on a DVD and sell it for $$" in the past right?

http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Entertainment-Collection-Warcraft-Starcraft-Pc/dp/B00006SG4T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1284617374&sr=8-1

This isn't exactly new territory.

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you've got it pretty backwards there max

When I think "mainstream" I think of "mainstream games", as in "games that people that populate NeoGAF want to play".

Mostly because the term "Hardcore" is just plain silly.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ReaperSMS wrote: »
    You fellows do remember that blizzard's done the "Stuff the game cutscenes directly on a DVD and sell it for $$" in the past right?

http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Entertainment-Collection-Warcraft-Starcraft-Pc/dp/B00006SG4T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1284617374&sr=8-1

This isn't exactly new territory.

Yes, but that's not being marketed as a feature length movie. It knows what it is, and people buying it know what it is.

Kotick thinks you can take that box, rename it Warcraft: The Movie, and have a mega blockbuster on your hands. Which is flat out retarded.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."