Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    Howlin' Mad MurphyHowlin' Mad Murphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Ein, what editing program are you using? I wanted to try my hand at making some mirkwood/lothlorien type of thing.

There is no one superprogram. NBT Forge is okay for 'brushing' in terrain, but it's GUI sort've sucks. MCEdit is super because it's in 3d, but it can't really terraform things - just replace/edit/change existing blocks.

Ah, gotcha. Sounds like NBT Forge is what I'll need to use if I want to make a super forest. I'll mess around with it later and see what I can come up with.

Howlin' Mad Murphy on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm making the following offer, for when I do eventually move Columbia and Rapture over to the new map I'm working on.

If you have any really treasured shit that you've built that you can't live without, let me know and I will see what I can do to move it over to Freebuild Island.

Knowing where it is [meaning, your thing] would also be a big help.

I'm not doing this to everything I want a mostly clean sweep. I'm very serious about this - only really treasured shit, please.

Things I am planning on keeping, aside from Col/Rap:
    • Poultry_Geist's Obsidian Whale

Ein on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein, have you you found a way to cut off the world from further exploration yet? A sea of lava and a giant wall of adminium might do the trick. :]

You can build over seas and up to the top of walls. The only way to do it successfully is a complete box of adminium with a hole where spawn is (required to have proper spawning and nobody can build there anyway). And even then somebody will find a way to do it by blasting themselves up with TNT.

Yeah ultimately there's no way to fully prevent people from getting out.

Ein, what editing program are you using? I wanted to try my hand at making some mirkwood/lothlorien type of thing.

There is no one superprogram. NBT Forge is okay for 'brushing' in terrain, but it's GUI sort've sucks. MCEdit is super because it's in 3d, but it can't really terraform things - just replace/edit/change existing blocks.

Ah, gotcha. Sounds like NBT Forge is what I'll need to use if I want to make a super forest. I'll mess around with it later and see what I can come up with.

You might want to also look at this tool:

pinetrees.png

MC MapDeleter / Pine Tree Generator

(don't crank it passed dense, or it has a tendency to crash)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Ein, have you you found a way to cut off the world from further exploration yet? A sea of lava and a giant wall of adminium might do the trick. :]

You can build over seas and up to the top of walls. The only way to do it successfully is a complete box of adminium with a hole where spawn is (required to have proper spawning and nobody can build there anyway). And even then somebody will find a way to do it by blasting themselves up with TNT.

pinetrees.png

Been thinking about using that for the arctic north, actually.

Can I use it only on particular SECTIONS? Or does it do the whole map. I don't need alpine shit in lavaland.

Ein on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I just had a thought, with these map generators like cartographer.. couldn't we do something like google maps?

For example, using http://openlayers.org/ you could create images using some minecraft map image generator on say a nightly scheduled basis so the map is kept up to date etc.

It'd be a pretty cool way for people to find their way around, you could open minecraft in one window and the browsable map in another.

EDIT: Ooooh...

http://smp.em32.net/map/

holy crap, that was awesome to zoom into.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finished a water elevator.
    ddb0267a.png

It's pretty simple. A little bit of trial and error with the flow. At the bottom to the left I made a staircase so the water would flow down and back to the lift water. Just use a staircase fashion to get the flows right and it'll go well.

Bonus shots.
    89ab8877.png
    329f32ca.png

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

pinetrees.png

Been thinking about using that for the arctic north, actually.

Can I use it only on particular SECTIONS? Or does it do the whole map. I don't need alpine shit in lavaland.

Yes, you select which chunks you want it to generate on. But with a map as large as yours Ein, I'd limit how many trees you generate with it (ie not too dense). It seems to hurt rendering performance and increase the likely-hood of crashing. It seems to be mostly fine with lower density tree generation though.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I just had a thought, with these map generators like cartographer.. couldn't we do something like google maps?

For example, using http://openlayers.org/ you could create images using some minecraft map image generator on say a nightly scheduled basis so the map is kept up to date etc.

It'd be a pretty cool way for people to find their way around, you could open minecraft in one window and the browsable map in another.

EDIT: Ooooh...

http://smp.em32.net/map/

holy crap, that was awesome to zoom into.

This is excellent, and I will attempt to set one up for the new server once I'm done moving us. Maybe later tonight.

Ein on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has it ever been proven that exploration slows servers? I know it adds to the size of the world files, but does the server need to do anything with those areas if no one is using them? Was there something from Notch or some kind of performance test?

I've noticed that it doesn't simulate the monsters and wildlife of an area until you show up.

( I realize that Ein's world is being recreated not only for this reason.)

slugabed on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, you select which chunks you want it to generate on. But with a map as large as yours Ein, I'd limit how many trees you generate with it (ie not too dense). It seems to hurt rendering performance and increase the likely-hood of crashing. It seems to be mostly fine with lower density tree generation though.

Yeah, I'm not going to go too crazy with it, but I might add some.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sluga: The biggest problem with exploration, from my end, is that it makes the map files huge and the regular backups that I run become a wholly unpleasant affair while the server is running. I could take backups less often, which I've been doing, but that's hardly the best solution.

Also, it will lag the server while it's generating terrain. That's pretty solidly proven. It probably doesn't cause problems when nobody's around, though.

Ein on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm making the following offer, for when I do eventually move Columbia and Rapture over to the new map I'm working on.

If you have any really treasured shit that you've built that you can't live without, let me know and I will see what I can do to move it over to Freebuild Island.

I'm not doing this to everything I want a mostly clean sweep. I'm very serious about this - only really treasured shit, please.

You know, I've realized that so long as I can generate a diamond pick and a stack of torches on command, I don't care if I lose my entire cache of chests.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just had an awesome idea that would be an epic undertaking.
    stardestroyer.jpg

Ein, I need info on your server please.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bought the game last night on a whim.

5 hours later.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, while unlimited terrain is nice for single player, I think multiplayer needs to at least have the option to limit the terrain size. I mean it doesn't have to be small by any means, but as you say Ein, the endless generation of tiles is what gets you in trouble.

Not sure how to reasonably prevent exploration on Colrapture, except for a giant premade lake of lava that's big enough to dissuade people from leaving the island. At best you can just stall them from generating new terrain long enough for someone with mod abilities to put the kibosh on their rule breaking ways. But that in itself increases the file size and makes the map look less pleasing, so not an ideal solution :?

Of course its a lot easier to box people in when you're creating a giant cave system ;-)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone could make it their job to build a massive border fence. This will at least stop the reasonable people from accidentally going too far. Well, the reasonable people who are above ground anyway.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So If I want to just make a local server-world for my girlfriend and I to work together in, I'm going to need to buy two copies of this, right? I'm not trying to screw Notch out of bling bling dolla dolla, but I'm not sure if two-copies for my household is my best solution.

It probably is, though.

Also, on my singleplayer game, I made an iron door with a redstone lever to close off my Lava Garbage Disposal, to make sure no one would accidentally die in hot lava.

Then I remembered I was the only one alive in my world, and was sad.

Is there a list somewhere of all the differences currently between SSP and SMP?

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe a bedrock wall that surrounds the area, but is only 1 block above ground on the surface? Might take some editing time, but it will prevent tunnelers, and serve as a polite reminder to surface builders without ruining the view.

You're not going to stop people who want to break rules anyway, but this way you could safely ban anyone found outside the wall.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Someone could make it their job to build a massive border fence. This will at least stop the reasonable people from accidentally going too far. Well, the reasonable people who are above ground anyway.

Witchdr's great wall of chincraft is going up baby keep those god damn mongolians out.
    ( kidding)

Though how funny would it be to just start a wall somewhere and keep going?

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god, why did I just get the idea that:

gamecus.jpg

Is something that needs to be built out of obsidian, complete with surrounding city-scape terrain.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Man, I know this needs to be done and I am excited about the new island, but it really kind of sucks at the same time. I've spent a good 7-8 hours mining out my cave system on the edge of the island and it's all going to be lost. It's obviously not worth moving to the new server, I know that, so I won't ask that it be saved.

Also, I really think the rules should be updated regarding building things in Columbia/Rapture. What I mean is that it would probably be better if all building designs were signed off on by a mod before they began. I don't personally build in either Columbia or Rapture, but I've seen a couple examples on the server where people built buildings, only to have them torn down by the admins/mods in order to make something better.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts that the buildings probably did need to be torn down. That being said, it would save a lot of time and headache for the person building if they had some kind of assurance beforehand that their work was actually wanted and wouldn't be torn down later on.

I don't mean for this post to sound whiney. I love your server Ein and I can't wait to try out the new map. In fact, I'm more than willing to give up my little hidey hole (it kinda sucked anyway) in order to be able to explore the new map.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It would require near constant attention, but if you have a list of all currently connected people, you could teleport yourself to them one at a time and ban those who aren't in sight of the main building area.

That's probably the only non-destructive method. The problem is that teleporting to them won't give enough information if they're deep underground.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sluga: The biggest problem with exploration, from my end, is that it makes the map files huge and the regular backups that I run become a wholly unpleasant affair while the server is running. I could take backups less often, which I've been doing, but that's hardly the best solution.

Also, it will lag the server while it's generating terrain. That's pretty solidly proven. It probably doesn't cause problems when nobody's around, though.

I know you don't like the idea of building Admium walls to cut off exploration. But what about just creating an "end of the world" drop off? Make it about 10 blocks wide and then have terrain generated past it so that from a distance everything looks fine, but when somebody reaches the drop they know not to go past it?

Enclave on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Enclave wrote: »

I know you don't like the idea of building Admium walls to cut off exploration. But what about just creating an "end of the world" drop off? Make it about 10 blocks wide and then have terrain generated past it so that from a distance everything looks fine, but when somebody reaches the drop they know not to go past it?

And then someone epically builds a set of stairs. Course you'd notice eventually.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

And then someone epically builds a set of stairs. Course you'd notice eventually.

Then you go and blow it away.

You'll never be able to fully stop people from doing stupid shit. However if you do something like this it'd be non-disruptive and the majority of people would know not to go past that point. People who do? Well if they're caught, first time: warning, second time: banned. Also Ein wouldn't even need to give any warning when he decides to blow away land past that point since nobody should be out there anyways thus the new land shouldn't ever actually be generated, so any generated land and things built over there, clearly those are expendable.

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I know we don't want to mar the landscape too much, but I feel some indicator would be good.

Do your editors make it easy to create a row of signs that say "Don't go past here" around the edge of the map?

I wish you could make terrible "end of the world" whirlpools full of krakens and sperm whales.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Re: Obsidian. As someone who's spent far too much time setting up farms and building a 3 story mini-castle out of it, it's not possible to make an infinite harvest point. I have a cave with a lava fall and a water fall virtually next to each other, and making the lava fall into a pool and then dropping water on it only makes cobble. Even if it's deep, for some reason the lower lava blocks never register as at rest. I hope this is changed at some point but meh.

Re: Someone mentioning a 30x30 temple, unless you thought about it I strongly recommend making your buildings odd numbers across as this makes it way easier to have a clean looking mid point. I made my shit 10x10 to start and it fucked me up when I thought about making arches and domes and shit.

Re: Ein's server. I don't mind losing my shit but we seem to undergo cataclysm every few days. It would be nice if there was some stability other than "oh shit has it been three days? everything but rapture/columbia is getting nuked!" My initial crappy mini-hovel/mine was lost in the trimming, so I moved to the walls next to Columbia, and now even that's on the out. Don't know how much interest I have in gambling on another time sink to be disposed of.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

This may well be what I end up doing, or something similar. A giant chasm straight down to the adminium bedrock that's just sheer drop on all sides of the map.

t Fight: The "oh shit we have to start levelling stuff" was my response to Rapture and Columbia rapidly exceeding the bounds I thought I was generously giving them. I literally carved the biggest canyon in existence thinking "naw, no way we'll fill this" and three days later, we're up against the rock walls. I need to make an even bigger biggest rock canyon now. :P

Hopefully this new map will alleviate all the issues, though. Free building will have it's place, and won't be in any jeopardy.

Ein on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys its important to note that at this point there are like 5 public serves and a ton more private ones. If you really, really don't want your stuff nuked, play on one of the other servers. They've got awesome stuff too, and you can always visit Colrapture.

Also, its worth mentioning that a lot of servers are using "Mob SMP Release" as a chance to reset servers. So you may not have that much time with your creations as it is.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait for mobs in mp. I never built anything in rapture and probably never will since it's so fun to run around.

Is it possible to make a infinite lava generator or no?

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It just dawned on me that using the water elevator from a few pages back could allow you to make a tracked boat ride as far as you want, just build a new elevator when you get too low.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I figured out how to copy SP worlds into MP and put mine on a local server. Now not having a diamond pick is no longer and issue.

Plus, I can have people actually see my work when I want to.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Howlin' Mad MurphyHowlin' Mad Murphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

pinetrees.png

Cool, I'll definately check that out.

What I really want to do, however, is make huge trees with a 5x5 block trunk, going all the way up to the sky map with a large canopy. I'm in the process of making one on my tree city map but it would take too long to make a forest of them in-game.

That program will be good for filling in the ground beneath the huge trees though.

Howlin' Mad Murphy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    It just dawned on me that using the water elevator from a few pages back could allow you to make a tracked boat ride as far as you want, just build a new elevator when you get too low.

Very astute.

And here's what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ot39sgEMic

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait for mobs in mp. I never built anything in rapture and probably never will since it's so fun to run around.

Is it possible to make a infinite lava generator or no?

Seems like only in SMP

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=24934

belligerent on
  • Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Guys its important to note that at this point there are like 5 public serves and a ton more private ones. If you really, really don't want your stuff nuked, play on one of the other servers. They've got awesome stuff too, and you can always visit Colrapture.

Also, its worth mentioning that a lot of servers are using "Mob SMP Release" as a chance to reset servers. So you may not have that much time with your creations as it is.

And that's fine, but the server post should at least be updated to reflect the fact that, unless your addition relates to Columbia or Rapture, there is a pretty good chance it will be erased at some point. It might seem obvious to you that this is the case, but to someone who is starting out and is just going off of the information in the post, it's kind of a shock when all their work is erased.

I don't want to keep harping on this though. It's just the nature of things for now. We'll all have just as much fun rebuilding everything again.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »

Very astute.

And here's what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ot39sgEMic

well thats about 1000 times better then what i had in mind but at least i know what i'll be doing this week. *cough* sick for work tomorrow i think.

Witchdr on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Progress on the new map continues, Lava Land is basically done.

newmap2.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I smell an exciting Friday update coming...
    Good morning! Mails have been read. Lunch is about to be consumed. Then SMP will get worked on.

:^:

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I smell an exciting Friday update coming...
    Good morning! Mails have been read. Lunch is about to be consumed. Then SMP will get worked on.

:^:

All my dicks and all that. Sounds good!

Can't wait.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.