Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Progress on the new map continues, Lava Land is basically done.

AWESOME PICTURE

Gah, I cannot wait for this.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Patch update: Added a map generator with Biomes that makes the herculean amounts of work Ein's doing moot.

Calling it now.

Ein on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AWESOME PICTURE

Gah, I cannot wait for this.

Agreed. I'm starting to get bored with building by myself, not to mention that I'm not as creative as everything else I've seen.

I'd rather build a small little structure of my own, and then go and help building other people's things.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    newmap2.jpg

But which one is fire island? :lol:

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    It just dawned on me that using the water elevator from a few pages back could allow you to make a tracked boat ride as far as you want, just build a new elevator when you get too low.

Very astute.

And here's what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ot39sgEMic

well thats about 1000 times better then what i had in mind but at least i know what i'll be doing this week. *cough* sick for work tomorrow i think.

It takes a long time to do. I made a miniature one that I threw a picture up of. Mine goes up, then drops down into a cave, then back up to the sky and leads out into the ocean. It took me about 3 hours to do the basics. An extra hour from there to work out the kinks with the water.

Pictured again.
    14444a4e.png

DekuStick on
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Patch update: Added a map generator with Biomes that makes the herculean amounts of work Ein's doing moot.

Calling it now.

At least it won't render lava land pointless :lol:

Enclave on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How do you make it go in a straight line?

Couscous on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is the kind of server you can have a world on, fully built with seperate towns and roads.

*Swoon*

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    It just dawned on me that using the water elevator from a few pages back could allow you to make a tracked boat ride as far as you want, just build a new elevator when you get too low.

Very astute.

And here's what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ot39sgEMic

well thats about 1000 times better then what i had in mind but at least i know what i'll be doing this week. *cough* sick for work tomorrow i think.

It takes a long time to do. I made a miniature one that I threw a picture up of. Mine goes up, then drops down into a cave, then back up to the sky and leads out into the ocean. It took me about 3 hours to do the basics. An extra hour from there to work out the kinks with the water.

Pictured again.
    14444a4e.png

How does the water elevator work? just all source blocks?

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lavaland has had the vast majority of it's dumbass redstone ore deposits replaced with diamonds for the brave and industrious digger.

I'm doing much the same to the frozen north, only with iron instead. Replacing sandy shores with ice looks rad as shit.

I'm hoping in about 2-2.5 hours to have the map ready to drop stuff into.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lava isn't hard to deal with. You just need to be cautious and ready to use stone to block off the source.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I used source blocks for my proof of concept elevator.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Won't the ice melt?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Lava isn't hard to deal with. You just need to be cautious and ready to use stone to block off the source.

I don't think you fully apprehend the scope of the source.

lavaland.jpg

BLOCK THAT OFF, BITCH.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, Ein? I'm unsure why people are submitting their steam accounts. In order to gain access to this land of awesomeness do I need to set up a steam account?

Enclave on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

lavaland.jpg

BLOCK THAT OFF, BITCH.

WTB floating fortress of evil made of cobblestone and obsidian hovering over the center of LavaLand.

That be pimp yo!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein, can you jump on for a minute? Someone broke the roof on haephestus (which is fixed) but there's a giant lava fountain in the middle of the room that i can't seem to get rid of.

PaulTheAfraid on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apprehend? He can't arrest those source blocks?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BLOCK THAT OFF, BITCH.
    Does look that hard.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein,again,your PM inbox is full and I would really like to check out the server :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lavaland has had the vast majority of it's dumbass redstone ore deposits replaced with diamonds for the brave and industrious digger.

I'm doing much the same to the frozen north, only with iron instead. Replacing sandy shores with ice looks rad as shit.

Dig in the water at the coast. Make your way down and under all the lava up top. Block off the water so your cave doesn't flood.

On a side note Ein might I recommend designating an island specifically for mining and not really building on. Basically where everyone can easily mine for materials they need, without needing to scar the landscapes of the build areas with caves, that people only build the simplest of buildings for chests, furnaces and work tables.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

Dig in the water at the coast. Make your way down and under all the lava up top. Block off the water so your cave doesn't flood.

On a side note Ein might I recommend designating an island specifically for mining and not really building on. Basically where everyone can easily mine for materials they need, without needing to scar the landscapes of the build areas with caves, that people only build the simplest of buildings for chests, furnaces and work tables.

I have doubts that all the lava is on top of the world.

Enclave on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Have you forgotten?

Half the fun of Legos is breaking your creation down to rubble to build newer and grander designs.

I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Currently, you can barely move in the hills around rapture/columbia without falling into someone's poorly marked and poorly excavated hole to the center of the earth.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok. I played around with the free Classic version in the browser, and after a few hours, got motion sickness. "Old looking" games tend to do this to me (Descent, Duke3D). Anyone else have this problem? Do some of the other texture packs help? If so, I'll probably pick it up.

Houn on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Have you forgotten?

Half the fun of Legos is breaking your creation down to rubble to build newer and grander designs.

I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Currently, you can barely move in the hills around rapture/columbia without falling into someone's poorly marked and poorly excavated hole to the center of the earth.

Agreed.

I logged on and immediately got overwhelmed and had no idea where to go.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I don't think we need that much restriction. We basically have 3 rules.

Don't fuck up Rapture or Columbia.

Don't go too far away from the major cities.

Don't be a dick.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Don't be a dick.

I don't mean a restriction so much as just an area I can devastate for materials without ruining the scenery.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I believe if you only back up certain world-chunk subdirectories, you can have your routine backups and still allow exploration. Then the only remaining downsides to letting people explore are brief server lag when a new chunk is being generated, people not on backed-up chunks don't get rollback protection from griefers, and if lots of people get too far apart the memory footprint for those far-away players is higher.

I don't really plan to explore or build anything huge, so I don't have a personal stake in the decision. I just wanted to make sure you understood you CAN do partial backups.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    Ok. I played around with the free Classic version in the browser, and after a few hours, got motion sickness. "Old looking" games tend to do this to me (Descent, Duke3D). Anyone else have this problem? Do some of the other texture packs help? If so, I'll probably pick it up.

oh man that happened to me too, i just thought i was being a pussy. Like i had to lay down for an hour before i could start up again.

Witchdr on

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Don't build a dick.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    burnbombburnbomb Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

lavaland.jpg

BLOCK THAT OFF, BITCH.

Don't think you'll be blocking anything with that wooden block, there.

burnbomb on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I have this glass cube/ball thing (supposed to be a disco ball) that I want to fill with water, but I suck at manipulating liquid in this game. Does anyone have any idea how I could do this? Print screen is being really lame and not letting me cap it, but it's fairly big.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Start from the bottom and fill up each block with water.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah if water or lava are flowing still keep adding more. It seriously took me over 40 buckets of lava to get a 9x9x1 square to stop flowing and become free standing.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is the incredibly long and tiresome way.

The better way is make a flat layer just below the top, cover that with source blocks, then mine out the flat layer. It'll all flow down and become non-moving liquid if you can completely fill it without leaving air pockets in bulges at the sides.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What? Fuck that.

Is it a cube or is it a ball?

You do not have to fill each block by hand, thats crazy. Screen shot time, hold on.

EDIT: Yeah, What UncleSporky said.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Huh, I ran out of rock that I have mined and stuck into chests. I probably should have calculated how much stones a 30X30 pyramid would take to build. Or even that it was possible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

Don't build a dick.

We'll probably have an island dedicated to Wang construction.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Have you forgotten?

That hole is fucking awesome.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

Don't build a dick.

We'll probably have an island dedicated to Wang construction.

Christ, I just realised some of the things I'm sure people will do with giant floating wangs. All these things involve either water, many gold blocks or many cotton blocks. D:

With this new knowledge in mind, I agree with the need for wang island, just to keep that stuff away from the rest of the world. Ideally, wangs are only allowed to be built in underground caverns on said island. :P

Enclave on
This discussion has been closed.