Options

[Mass Effect] DLC On Sale Oct. 11th - 17th (Xbox Live Gold)

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    i hate that line paragon Shepard has

"I won't let fear compromise who I am."

aghhh Shepard this isn't about you!
    No. It's about the Illusive Man.

And his giant, people-pureeing, mind-controlling base of doom.

Another reason to blow it up. This is Mass Effect, not The Illusive Man's Excellent Adventure. Keep it about the main character.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is NO GOOD reason at all to keep the base

AT ALL

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I mean the thanix canon was reverse engineered from reaper technology, right? That seems to have worked out well.

Although I am having a hard time imagining the uses of a human smoothie machine

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Well I mean the thanix canon was reverse engineered from reaper technology, right? That seems to have worked out well.

Cafeteria refreshment seems like the obvious choice.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

AT ALL

Except.. you know. The giant doom robots coming to kill us all.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Cafeteria refreshment seems like the obvious choice.

Was this all just a ruse on my part to make posting this comic somewhat relevant?

............maybe.

smoothies.jpg

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a little freaked out that that's exactly where my mind went as soon as you brought that up.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bet it's hard to get the taste of people out of that thing.

Lux on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AT ALL

Given that one of your crew owes their life to reverse engineered reaper technology I'm going to have to disagree.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    I bet it's hard to get the taste of people out of that thing.

lilith is the best spice

engineer insanity update: i've reached that point in time where the class is starting to feel like a more fragile sentinel. i'm shotgunning foes, freezing them, breaking them....

it's all starting to run together, but fortunately i'm near the end.

i seem to have a compulsion to mash spacebar while doing miranda's loyalty

none of the dialogue during that mission is even remotely interesting after the first time. about the only funny part is if you bring jack along, and on insanity that's not the best idea. bleh.

after this, though, it's back to mass effect 1 for my canon femshep playthrough - vanguard with no cooldowns, custom armor, and hyper-sprint speed. it will be beautiful

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Always-RainingAlways-Raining Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn you were way ahead of me there Didgeridoo.

Always-Raining on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AT ALL

please hand over your thanix cannon and EDI and cybernetic upgrades

people talk about booby traps, but remember that the base didn't even have an alarm system. They didn't expect anyone to get there.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Their alarm system was killer bees.

Orca on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    which are dead

we know that reaper tech can be scrubbed free of indoctrination too

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just not by Cerberus

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AT ALL

people talk about booby traps, but remember that the base didn't even have an alarm system. They didn't expect anyone to get there.
    Fair enough. There are good reasons to keep the base. However, you do not get the option to keep the base. You either destroy it or hand it over to Cerberus.

Handing anything over to Cerberus is not a good idea. Ever.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Complete with the experiment breaking loose and destroying everything.
    It's all making sense now -- Cerberus is descended from the Umbrella Corporation.

So what your saying is the Illusive man is space Wesker.

Kyoka Suigetsu on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AT ALL

Fair enough. There are good reasons to keep the base. However, you do not get the option to keep the base. You either destroy it or hand it over to Cerberus.

Shepard should just say fuck it and move in.

With some nice drapes the collector base could be a cozy space home

override367 on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AT ALL

pretty much

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wonder what would happen if Cerberus opened their ranks and allowed the Quarians to join them. It would be like a giant black hole of failed operations and slaughtered personel.

Orca on
  • Options
    SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited September 2010
    So serious question: Why is the Cerberus held up as the model of ineptitude and yet the Alliance gets a free pass even though for all intents and purposes in Me1 the Alliance pretty much had Shepard on speed-dial to take care of every little thing that they couldn't?

For all the terrible things Cerberus may have done, you have to admit they also:
    1.) FUCKING RESURRECTED SHEPARD
    2.) Have the best information network in the galaxy (The Shadow Broker rifling through the crew's e-mail is hardly what I'd call amazing information gathering when compared to Cerberus practically divining where the Collectors are or are going to be at numerous occasions)
    3.) Built the most cutting edge ship in the galaxy controlled by the most benevolent AI entity we've seen up to this point.
    4.) Created (potentially) the most powerful human biotic
    5.) Possibly figured out a way to counter the Geth should they ever go hostile (or become controlled by Reapers)

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So serious question: Why is the Cerberus held up as the model of ineptitude and yet the Alliance gets a free pass even though for all intents and purposes in Me1 the Alliance pretty much had Shepard on speed-dial to take care of every little thing that they couldn't?

For all the terrible things Cerberus may have done, you have to admit they also:
    1.) FUCKING RESURRECTED SHEPARD
    2.) Have the best information network in the galaxy (The Shadow Broker rifling through the crew's e-mail is hardly what I'd call amazing information gathering when compared to Cerberus practically divining where the Collectors are or are going to be at numerous occasions)
    3.) Built the most cutting edge ship in the galaxy controlled by the most benevolent AI entity we've seen up to this point.
    4.) Created (potentially) the most powerful human biotic
    5.) Possibly figured out a way to counter the Geth should they ever go hostile (or become controlled by Reapers)

Because the Alliance's fuckups didn't leave %95 percent of their personnel dead. Not to mention most of the situations the Alliance had you go work out weren't caused by their own incompetence(Except probably the Luna mission).

Not to mention of the list you gave.

1. Was successful but still ended with most people dying.
    2. Speculation but maybe
    3. The SR2 design was based off the original Normandy, they just made some minor improvements and added a AI, so they can't take full credit for that.
    4. Yeah...that worked out great.
    5. Well, still fell into Cerberus fail criteria and we don't know what is going to happen because it never went anywhere.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well yeah...except that the Alliance created Cerberus in the first place D:

Orca on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah. I forgot about that...

Well, I guess you can say that was a really big fuckup.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Because the Alliance's fuckups didn't leave %95 percent of their personnel dead. Not to mention most of the situations the Alliance had you go work out weren't caused by their own incompetence(Except probably the Luna mission).

Yes, because the Alliance contacted you before they had a chance to fuck things up. At least Cerberus tries without Shepard and considering the results they produce actually do pretty well. The Alliance doesn't even try to tie their shoes without petitioning Shepard to help them do the bunny ears.

Again, Cerberus is pretty much the leader in tech in just about every area above and beyond other organizations. As far as I'm concerned, those cells are exploding with all the awesome they are putting out. And it's not like each cell failing is really hurting the organization. The way TIM has things set up actually completely prevents a failure in any one cell to effect any of the other cells in any way, shape, or form. Hell, I straight up bet he sabotages more than a few himself when they outlive their usefulness.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yes, because the Alliance contacted you before they had a chance to fuck things up. At least Cerberus tries without Shepard and considering the results they produce actually do pretty well. The Alliance doesn't even try to tie their shoes without petitioning Shepard to help them do the bunny ears.
    =

Umm...you seem to be confused by what I mean.

The Alliance sends you to fix stuff, yes, but they weren't the cause of most of those things to begin with.

Most of the stuff Cerberus has you fix was pretty much their own fault.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The amount of times you have to "fix" a Cerberus project gone wrong is really really overblown.

I can only remember Overlord and the Derelict Reaper off hand. Any other notable examples?

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes the only one I can think of that was actually the alliances fault was the Luna mission, so they have a much better track record than cerberus for fuck ups of epic proportions.

Saying that though both organisations are comprised of wankers so focused on pushing humans as far up the food chain as they can that they are blind to the hatred felt towards the entire human race by the rest of the galaxy.

They could just prove what humans are made of by actually helping out the other races and slowly gain respect for our species but noooooooo..... that would take too long. Mr mcwankpants wants to be a universal leader in his lifespan thanks.

Always-Raining on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Saying that though both organisations are comprised of wankers so focused on pushing humans as far up the food chain as they can that they are blind to the hatred felt towards the entire human race by the rest of the galaxy.

They could just prove what humans are made of by actually helping out the other races and slowly gain respect for our species but noooooooo..... that would take too long. Mr mcwankpants wants to be a universal leader in his lifespan thanks.

Why do you hate freedom?

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I love freedom! Which is why I think that humans as a whole are being greedy little buggers in the ME universe for slowly taking freedom away from the other races.

Always-Raining on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The amount of times you have to "fix" a Cerberus project gone wrong is really really overblown.

I can only remember Overlord and the Derelict Reaper off hand. Any other notable examples?
    Well, in ME1 they fucked up pretty big with the Rachni, causing outbreaks of wild, uncontrollable Rachni hives on several planets.

They also experimented on Thorian creepers. Who all went nuts and started killing people the moment Shepard took down the Thorian (so this one may not technically be Cerberus's fault, but still... experimenting on the Thorian creepers?).

Then there was that minor matter on Akuze. Possibly a success for Cerberus, though eventually one of the survivors hunted down and murdered all the scientists involved.

Those are off the top of my head.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If other races want to stagnate and die, that's their consern. Humanity is aggressively expanding into areas no one wants, fighting off threats, and is becoming stronger as a result.

About the only race we've 'stolen' terrority from are Batarians.

I ask you Sir, are you a Batarian lover?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hahaha no this woman is not a Batarian lover as such, though I do whole heartedly believe there are some good ones out there.

I agree about the stagnation thing don't get me wrong but it's a balancing act between progress and respecting other cultures. At the moment it seems like humanity is basically trying to be the lone wolf when they could do so much better with the other races backing them up.

I just think a little repsect is due to other races too.

Always-Raining on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, in ME1 they fucked up pretty big with the Rachni, causing outbreaks of wild, uncontrollable Rachni hives on several planets.

They also experimented on Thorian creepers. Who all went nuts and started killing people the moment Shepard took down the Thorian (so this one may not technically be Cerberus's fault, but still... experimenting on the Thorian creepers?).

Then there was that minor matter on Akuze. Possibly a success for Cerberus, though eventually one of the survivors hunted down and murdered all the scientists involved.

Those are off the top of my head.

Well I'd like to point out that each of those situations was not something Shepard had to fix and in some cases she was the one who caused it. I'm not going to fault Cerberus for Shepard kicking their ass and fucking up their projects.

My point is that the Alliance doesn't come off as very hyper-competent themselves in comparison. However, no one seems to bring up that the Alliance as being inept even though they are constantly depending on Shepard to resolve issues for them. Also, in spite of their "failures" Cerberus is still bounds ahead of them in terms of actual tech.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well I'd like to point out that each of those situations was not something Shepard had to fix and in some cases she was the one who caused it. I'm not going to fault Cerberus for Shepard kicking their ass and fucking up their projects.
    Except the wild Rachni thing. That one was all their fault.

Also their tendency to perform horrific, unethical experiments and then not clean up properly or retain adequate control (see: Jack; Akuze). I consider such incidents Cerberus fuck-ups as well.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

AT ALL

pretty much

I've personally come to this conclusion:

There are some artifacts that could be delivered to Cerberus that are not obviously dangerous. For example, something they already have (like a toothbrush). Or something that, by itself, is not inherently dangerous (or does not appear as such), like a Reaper IFF. Now, knowing Cerberus, there's a good chance that handing either such thing over them might result in them killing off a large number of their own personnel and TIM sheepishly using the word "yoomanity" to dismiss it, but hey, no skin off your nose.

On the other hand, there is the Collector Base. The primary function of which is to facilitate the kidnapping and liquification of hundreds of thousands/millions of people. And Cerberus just happens to be an organization who's MO is the kidnapping, torture, and/or murder of tens of thousands of people (entire colonies, etc.). Giving them something that could make their little hobby that much easier seems like a bad idea.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so i couldn't resist, i fired up an old ME1 save just to try out some choice mods

you can equip the mako cannon

YOU

CAN

EQUIP

THE

MAKO

CANNON

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Except the wild Rachni thing. That one was all their fault.

Also their tendency to perform horrific, unethical experiments and then not clean up properly or retain adequate control (see: Jack; Akuze). I consider such incidents Cerberus fuck-ups as well.

Akuze wasn't really a "fuck up" since there's really no indication to us that the project was a failure. I don't think the Jack project really went terribly either from a practical standpoint since they achieved their goal of making the most powerful human biotic and then had her contained on Purgatory until they needed her, where she presumably played an important role in the Suicide Mission. It's not likely they lost any of the knowledge gained from their project, so who knows if they have an army of biotic super soldiers just waiting. Of course, I'm speaking purely from a standpoint of "did they succeed at what they set out to do". Not a "was that the right thing to do" because morally speaking, obviously not.

I'd argue that their pure technical superiority over all other organizations or races is directly related to their willingness to perform horrific, unethical experiments. If those projects seem to fail often, it's only because they work at breakneck unsafe speeds to be the very best. And evidently we have to assume it pays off in one way or another since there really is no competition in terms of cutting edge tech.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Of course, I'm speaking purely from a standpoint of "did they succeed at what they set out to do". Not a "was that the right thing to do" because morally speaking, obviously not.
    Maybe so, but nevertheless, Cerberus did lose scores of scientists, soldiers and equipment which they didn't have to lose if they were at all competent.

Once the Akuze experiments were over, they could've just killed the remaining test subjects. Instead those Cerberus morons just let 'em go (or allowed them to escape if you're feeling charitable). And then one of them came back and murdered all the scientists - an easily preventable waste of Cerberus human resources.

Ditto Jack. Sure, all those kids were powerful biotics, but they were still kids. They should not have been able to start a revolt that ended up killing everybody in the facility, except Subject Zero, who went MIA (because the Illusive Man apparently doesn't have a single fucking clue about what the people in his own organization are doing). I also don't think Jack ended up Purgatory because Cerberus placed her there for safe keeping, she ended up after finally getting caught after years and years of rampaging through the galaxy.

But no, Cerberus's staggering incompetence led to a great number of completely needless deaths on top of the supposed necessary deaths. Perhaps you could almost argue that their experiments delivered the desired results. You cannot argue that Cerberus has sufficient control over their experiments.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i couldn't resist, i fired up an old ME1 save just to try out some choice mods

you can equip the mako cannon

YOU

CAN

EQUIP

THE

MAKO

CANNON

This bodes well for my Elcor ME3 companion fantasies.

BlackDove on
This discussion has been closed.