Options

Video game industry thread: we're done here, move on to the next one

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just make audio/video wireless. No more hassle.

No, I don't care about the logistical impossibility of transmitting a 1080p/7.1ch stream of data wirelessly. This is the future dagnabit!

We're actually not that far. an N transmission is capable of it, as evidenced by Netflix and things like that. Now whether or not it could keep up with a 60FPS stream? Who knows.

Part of me still wants to see wireless power, but... that is going to be tricky.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are we now talking about those add-on screens that didn't really make the console more portable? The ones that still required some kind of power source and wall plugs are about the only answer?

Those things made them portable, but not much more portable than packing the console and cables every time.

They were 100% designed for car journeys.

Of course this ignored how easy it was when having the thing in your lap for the power plug to get pulled out.

Leitner on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    As much as people joke about it, the GC handle did prove useful for me every once in a blue moon.

While the handle certainly isn't an obstacle, I don't think it really gets around the actual practical limitations of a portable console compared to a laptop computer--namely, handle or not, you're going to have to drag along a heavy battery pack or diesel-fueled generator, along with a display of some sort.

The GC is easier to carry (for those people whom holding a console is an insurmountable obstacle), but it's not really any more portable, as far as I can tell. Except for being smaller.

This is true. My point was just that it made the GameCube easier to lug around when needed. Obviously when I got there I still plugged it into the TV :P

Unless you lack fingers, I doubt the handle helped overcome any major obstacles. :P

As cool as wireless audio/video solutions sound, I don't think we're anywhere close to overcoming the cost barriers involved...unless everyone agrees that 1080p is the absolute ceiling for the next 10 years.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not even the ceiling now. My 5 year old monitor says hi

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still prefer my really old CRT monitor. I prefer the colors.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

No, I don't care about the logistical impossibility of transmitting a 1080p/7.1ch stream of data wirelessly. This is the future dagnabit!

We're actually not that far. an N transmission is capable of it, as evidenced by Netflix and things like that. Now whether or not it could keep up with a 60FPS stream? Who knows.

Part of me still wants to see wireless power, but... that is going to be tricky.

Well all the tech including wireless power exists. The problem comes that it will take years to get a standardised system that everyone can agree on and then what companies will fully support it?

Wireless audio video is quite easy to get and a few high end TV's do have the tech already, but seeing it in practice shows lag and broken video/audio.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm surprised it took nearly 30 minutes for somebody to show up and say how awesome the PC is...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As much as people joke about it, the GC handle did prove useful for me every once in a blue moon.

While the handle certainly isn't an obstacle, I don't think it really gets around the actual practical limitations of a portable console compared to a laptop computer--namely, handle or not, you're going to have to drag along a heavy battery pack or diesel-fueled generator, along with a display of some sort.

The GC is easier to carry (for those people whom holding a console is an insurmountable obstacle), but it's not really any more portable, as far as I can tell. Except for being smaller.

This is true. My point was just that it made the GameCube easier to lug around when needed. Obviously when I got there I still plugged it into the TV :P

Unless you lack fingers, I doubt the handle helped overcome any major obstacles. :P

It helped overcome my laziness in regards to holding the thing properly :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I'm surprised it took nearly 30 minutes for somebody to show up and say how awesome the PC is...

what? Or I was making a valid point in response to the post above me that the only way the cost barrier would be worth breaking for that tech would be if we didn't pass up 1080p as our standard for hi-def. The hardware already exists to project visuals at higher resolutions than that, whether it's a TV or a computer screen. I just said it in a dumb jackass kind of way.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

what? Or I was making a valid point in response to the post above me that the only way the cost barrier would be worth breaking for that tech would be if we didn't pass up 1080p as our standard for hi-def. The hardware already exists to project visuals at higher resolutions than that, whether it's a TV or a computer screen.

The point was about whether or not televisions would remain with 1080p as the max. Not whether it was possible. Televisions generally need to remain at a kind of static tech level for console development to catch up with some kind of wireless a/v capability.

Saying that a PC monitor does better than 1080p now misses the actual point entirely. Which makes your post come off like somebody touting the superiority of hardware that already exists but would be incompatible with the technology theory being discussed. We already know PC monitors have better resolution display capability. But that doesn't mean anything for the future of consoles.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Broadcast tv isn't even up to 720p compliance, let alone 1080p.

TVs are going to stay around this mark for quite some time.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We don't even have full saturation for HDTV and they're already trying to push 3D.

I certainly wouldn't claim that they'll stick with 1080p.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, I guess I did sort of miss that point then. i didn't realize how much it was limited in that manner

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The bandwidth needed for 1080p is already intensive, anything going over that is just absurd.

I'm not saying 1080p is the ceiling, but considering its not even the standard for television I wouldn't hold my breath for a replacement, especially not with glasses 3D tech.

That is going to be a fad. Good Goggleless 3D is probably decades off.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!
    http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2010/10/4-4
    Ok, well this is a pretty vague news article, but it'll have to do for now.

We have just received word that a major consumer electronics company will be revealing/teasing something gaming related later today (yeah yeah, an announcement of an announcement). The company and product can't be revealed until later, though both will likely be a bit of a surprise.

The tease will apparently happen later tonight on the MTV show Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory that will air tonight at 9:30PM ET/6:30PM PT. Not the typical place you would see a videogame announcement, but that's where it will be happening.

And that's all we can say for now.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is the worst kind of "journalism".

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

The Book of Atrus...I would watch a movie of that.

Oh why would I watch a movie of that...?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I care :(

Though I don't know if I care about a movie, so there's that too.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The bandwidth needed for 1080p is already intensive, anything going over that is just absurd.

I'm not saying 1080p is the ceiling, but considering its not even the standard for television I wouldn't hold my breath for a replacement, especially not with glasses 3D tech.

That is going to be a fad. Good Goggleless 3D is probably decades off.

True enough. But I still won't make any kind of blanket statement over the long term future of TV specs. When the other shoe drops and the 'replacement' to Blu-Ray shows up in another couple of years, it'll just be the same kind of thing. The tech moves whether we want it to or not.

If the TV people are already pushing a new kind of standard, whether or not it takes hold, then they're just as likely to push higher res max TVs.

It's all theoretical anyway because I've been waiting for solid state HDDs for at least 15 years. God only knows the whens and whys.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

We have just received word that a major consumer electronics company will be revealing/teasing something gaming related later today (yeah yeah, an announcement of an announcement). The company and product can't be revealed until later, though both will likely be a bit of a surprise.

The tease will apparently happen later tonight on the MTV show Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory that will air tonight at 9:30PM ET/6:30PM PT. Not the typical place you would see a videogame announcement, but that's where it will be happening.

So someone is announcing an announcement on an irrelevant show on an irrelevant TV station?

Awesome.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

So someone is announcing an announcement on an irrelevant show on an irrelevant TV station?

Awesome.

SKATE 4 for Kinect WOOOOOO!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bit of a surprise means no one will care, but because they didnt care, it is unexpected.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

Just imagine the bitching which goes on right now about cell phones and cancer. Can you imagine the kind of bitching which will happen over the imaginary cancer waves pouring out of the wall into your household devices and your brain? I almost would rather just have to plug things in rather than have to try and rationally explain to people how EM radiation is already everywhere and it wouldn't change anything if you could figure out an efficient way to transmit power over short distances using the right tech.

But seriously, wireless HD for my TV should be entirely possible. There's really no good reason that my TV has about eight different inputs of three or four different types rather than the capacity to accept an HD stream from my computer network. Nobody should have to bother with things like network media boxes or Slingbox or anything like that; it should just be built-in by now.

Also, 3DTV needs to die if for no other reason than I'm tired of watching the tragedy of another entry in the long, long list of terrible TV ideas. Sure, it's no rotary TV, but at least that had the good grace to die quietly and be forgotten. Companies these days are going to spend years kicking this horse which was dead before it even got out the gate.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

Awesome. I was just wondering when I would be able to play fart apps from the comfort of my couch.

Valleo on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So something could go down somewhere in some way at some point in time.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Something horrible is going to happen near you sometime soon! More at 11!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Something in your kitchen is murdering your children.

We'll tell you more after these messages!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Valleo wrote: »
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

Awesome. I was just wondering when I would be able to play fart apps from the comfort of my couch.

An Apple console? Will it be a gimped iMac, or will we actually get something worthwhile this time.

(Super Marathon is an awesome console game, by the way)

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Something in your kitchen is murdering your children.

We'll tell you more after these messages!

Tomorrow on Doctor Oz: Three things in your bathroom that could be killing you RIGHT NOW! And Wednesday, Martha Stuart drops by to give us healthy eating tips. Next time on Doctor Oz.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

Get with the times, Unbreakable.

It's come and gone.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Couscous on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

Get with the times, Unbreakable.

It's come and gone.

YOU ARE LATE!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you guys forgetting that Sony is also a major consumer electronics company?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I know, I know. Beat'd.

Everybody remember this beauty?
    Pippinfront.jpg

Honestly, even I think it'd be hard for Apple to fuck up as bad as this. But they could totally half-ass it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MEGATON!

Finally

An Apple console

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

That's certainly an interesting controller design.

Valleo on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can only hope this means we're getting another CD-i.

You could play Space Ace, but in 3-D.

They'll call it the 3D-i.

I'm going to dust off my old CD-i now to get ready. I got mine with the digital video card so I could play all of my digital movies, like Four Weddings and a Funeral, the only one I have because they sent it to me for free.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906