As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Drascin wrote: »
    Ha!

Finally took down the goddamn boss in Floor 10! Trick was to forget about the rest of the party and Provokes and such, and simply Bodyguard the Prince every single turn. With the Hoplite healing himself for 50 every cast, and the Prince healing the whole party for 46 every turn (I had been thinking of going for Ad Nihilo. Said screw it and went for maxing Veil first), I did so very much better.

Those four extra points in Giant Kill didn't hurt, either. 350+ damage shots do help :P.

And now, finally, to keep exploring!

EDIT: So the plot thickens.
    So I met Kujura down in B11F, and he forced me to go back, and I heard out the Senatus. I'm starting to guess the kind of choice I'm going to have to make in the last floor, and I'm dreading it, because I figure that for siding with King Schizophrenic ("The voices tell me to kill the Deeeeep Oooones...") instead of Princess McSuspicious and her overly enthusiastick sidekick hag I'd get the useless Yggdroid, but as is I'm not sure which side I'm going to fall in - on one hand, "power of man" is like the whole damn theme of Etrian Odyssey, but on the other, I actually quite like the King Schizo dude and would feel bad getting kicked from his city. Ah well, we'll see if things look otherwise as I progress...

Why don't you just do both?

Neither ending is the 'true' one anyway.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What boss on floor 10? When you meet
    the deep one and he summons two minions?
    ?

I just made it to BF11, and man a new floor ALWAYS overwhelms me. I get all happy with my map on the floor above, and then you step downstairs. BAM empty map grid again.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Why don't you just do both?

Neither ending is the 'true' one anyway.

Because the chance that I'll have the patience to make a New Game+ and redo the whole game again just to see the other story and then find about how to get that true end thing... well, it probably will happen, but likely a few months down the line after some rest.

And yeah, Tcheldor. That one. Mostly, the whole Zone Icicle spam - 70-80 damage to everyone, every single turn, was really rather harsh for a party with so little staying power as mine before this little preparation stop.

And man, Floor 11 is a bitch to map. Think I'm approaching the end, though. I mean, there's not much screen left :P.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And man, Floor 11 is a bitch to map. Think I'm approaching the end, though. I mean, there's not much screen left :P.

It took awhile, but I enjoyed mapping floors 11 and 12. Moreso than 9 and 10, at least.
    I hate damage floors. Even when I have the skills to almost completely negate the damage.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, yeah, can't disagree there. I was just grumbling how much lava there was in this place, because having to change my brush continuously is a bit annoying, nothing more. In any case, I'm through already - whole floor (except for this one little corner with a chest I don't know how to reach) in one sitting, not bad :mrgreen:.

Now, to think about which way to head...

Drascin on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    University is getting in the way of my sweet, sweet EO3 playtime!

This shall not stand, good sirs. This shall not stand.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I play too cautiously in this game, my main party is level 11/12 and i'm venturing to floor 3 now, the monsters down there are pretty easy to kill too, I can also beat up the FOEs on level 2 with no problems

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    KurushelKurushel Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Just beat the fifth stratum yesterday. I'm torn between completing the sixth or starting a new game+...

Kurushel on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I play too cautiously in this game, my main party is level 11/12 and i'm venturing to floor 3 now, the monsters down there are pretty easy to kill too, I can also beat up the FOEs on level 2 with no problems
    If your party set-up is any good, you could easily beat the first stratum boss at your level. No joke. Stop grinding and make some progress.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I still haven't finished the first quest... Where the hell is a good napping spot?

Also, how the FUCK do you get the conditional drop from Namer? Should I just come back when I'm super powerful and get one-shot him?

Taking him down with my full team horrible (fuck his earthquake).

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So, I still haven't finished the first quest... Where the hell is a good napping spot?

Also, how the FUCK do you get the conditional drop from Namer? Should I just come back when I'm super powerful and get one-shot him?

Come back when you are at the 3rd stratum when his attacks just don't do that much damage, beat him down with your main damage-dealer. My Gladiator didn't have any trouble.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow... where did some of my words go in my post...

Anyways, that sounds reasonable to comeback later. What are the FOEs in his area now? Are those the bug things that person talked about?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow... where did some of my words go in my post...

Anyways, that sounds reasonable to comeback later. What are the FOEs in his area now? Are those the bug things that person talked about?

Yeah, they aren't particularly exciting. They have some kind of drop, so pick off a couple of them sometime. They stick around after you are done with Narmer.

As for a napping spot, I think it was one of the rooms in the north-west area of the first floor? I dunno, it was just one of the rooms.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

first quest:
    you already mapped this out, see the 3x3 room in the top left corner of the first floor? see the path directly to the right of it? its the dead end up there

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I probably mapped that out first and never went back. Welp, time to collect my 100 en and lame exp.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The XP from quests is pretty great. Best addition ever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    While we're talking quests, I still have that Messages From Aeons Past thing in my questlog - says I have to find a fossil node in B5F, but I could swear I've checked everything I can access on the floor to no avail. Anyone remember where it was?

Drascin on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's in a hidden room in the north west if I remember rightly.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    If your party set-up is any good, you could easily beat the first stratum boss at your level. No joke. Stop grinding and make some progress.

I don't think of it as grinding if I'm trying to step on every tile and unlock everything in the shop :lol:

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Allright, this is getting ridiculous.

Anyone know where the second cannon is?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While we're talking quests, I still have that Messages From Aeons Past thing in my questlog - says I have to find a fossil node in B5F, but I could swear I've checked everything I can access on the floor to no avail. Anyone remember where it was?

Its in the lower southwest corner. There is that blank spot right next to the stairs down. The entrance is in the square room with a foe just to the right of that. Like D-3 or theres about I think?

Edit: Current party is Hopelite/Monk, Monk/Princess, Princess/Monk(Just a placeholder til I unlock Yggdroid, then its Yggdroid/Monk tyme~), Ninja/Gladiator and Arbalist/Zodiac.

Down to the 3rd stratum thus far, plundering as I go. I'm rather content with the ninja ability to output damage, even if people seem to be obsessed with ninja/zodiac and such. Bunshin>Vow>Tagen Battou = Win.

So, does Healing Qi actually effective the royal veil regen amount or is it a set number?

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Its in the lower southwest corner. There is that blank spot right next to the stairs down. The entrance is in the square room with a foe just to the right of that. Like D-3 or theres about I think?

Got my north and south mixed up because that definitely sounds right.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, B10F is completely ridiculous. If I ever meet whoever is responsible for the design of this floor I'm going to slap them.

On the other hand, Zodiac/Arbalist with singularity and an elementally forged crossbow is equally ridiculous. Right now he can do damage equal to my Arbalist when he can hit an elemental weakness.

Healing Qi only affects Negotiation and Protect Order. All of the Prince's other abilities heal a set amount.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Allright, this is getting ridiculous.

Anyone know where the second cannon is?

You get it after you find Aeaea. If you need any help, I can provide directions or hints to reach there.

Mihashi on
    MihashiBonne.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I literally just figured out a good way to get there. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Part of the confusion stems from the bit about ships in the second post. You don't get the carronade until after you get to Aeaea, so the route that uses the Carronade is bad advice to say the least.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The sailing stuff is starting to irritate me. Question: if you have the sail that lets you move 2 spaces and you sail over a point that would normally bring up a dialog for diving into the water for a swim, will it stop you half-way into your move? I need to know if I've pretty much missed out a ton of shit because of that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, you need to stop on something to interact with it.

Also I'm thinking that Ninja/Pirate is better than Pirate/Ninja. Sure, Trickster is built in but the Ninja's class skill will do basically the same thing for the cost of one turn and allows you to use rapiers in the back row if you so choose.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No, you need to stop on something to interact with it.

FUCK

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Later on you'll have 28 movement and enough money to make ocean voyages trivial even with single move. I found three swim points today just finishing the map. :P
    The last Sea Quest is annoying as hell.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm fucking irate over this because a ton of my mapping was done with the double-move sail. So now I have to backtrack every single goddamn space of sea to make sure I picked up the proper items all over the place. God fucking damn it that's going to be tedious.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm fucking irate over this because a ton of my mapping was done with the double-move sail. So now I have to backtrack every single goddamn space of sea to make sure I picked up the proper items all over the place. God fucking damn it that's going to be tedious.

Why is it a big deal? I haven't gotten anything actually important from diving yet. Unless something you get is required to make all the discoveries, I'm just not going to worry about it.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I could've sworn one or two dive items were necessary for trading for goods.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh all my dudes are level 15ish but I can't beat Namer. I slowly wear him down but he drains my resources to the point where after he runs I don't have any items or TP left, so I can't deal with the rest of the fight much less all the FOEs he summons.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Prince
    • Monk (Ascetic deeds brings HP recovery on skill use, more TP friendly than Monk/ Prince)
    • Ninja (Double prevent order. Double Attack Order. Double Guard order. Great idea if you don't have a spot for your summon. Ninja is a decent subclass when you can't think of one.)
    • Buccaneer (A quirky but pretty cheap build for a back row prince that uses guns. Someone has to use them.)

Gladiator
    • Shogun (chase-all skill does ludicrous damage alongside the Shogun/Buccaneer combo)
    • Buccaneer (gladiator's natural might + rapier skill chasing)
    • Arbalist (passive increased accuracy really improves Nine Smashes)
    • Monk (Fist skills, fist kills.)

Buccaneer
    • Gladiator (Uses Wide Hit and superior Club and Sword weapons to become the ultimate one weapon normal attacker)
    • Arbalist (Using Trickster and keeping the costs of your skills down. Also could become a decent elemental chaser with the Z/A build. Not a bad idea by a long shot.)

Hoplite
    • Ninja (evasion, create a second hoplite to dual-line cover and element protection, also spears for back row clone)
    • Monk (HP regen on skill use, monk restore abilities rule, fist skills are go.)

Monk
    • Prince (Monk's higher TEC and Form Qi make for bigger passive heals)
    • Hoplite (spear mastery allows good attacks from back row, shield mastery for higher defense, and can remove binds from self, all with minimal skill point investment)
    • Ninja (Use cheap clones to proc death abilities)

Zodiac
    • Arbalist (element-forged weapons with singularity for bigger damage, HP return on kills aside from just TP, and chance to have double-cast of single-hit attacks)
    • Gladiator (Charge+High wATK value on Meteor=Destruction rains from the heavens, name him/her Lavos.)
    • Monk (Can see just how far an absurdly high TEC can take you, also gives you a decent back row attack option.)

Wildling
    • Hoplite (Wildling gains own offensive abilities with spear skills, Ability to equip a shield for 1 skill point.)
    • Farmer (Uses the Wildlings negation of enemy bind resistances to good work when not summoning.)
    • Ninja (Ignore clone abilities, used for good status effects and binds with a higher rate.)

Farmer
    • Ninja (Possibly the ultimate binding/status unit.)
    • Wildling (Uses the farmers luck to really increase the chance of the interesting Wildling abilities to work.)
    • Hoplite (Shield and huge weapon upgrade for a grand total of two skill points.)

Ninja
    • Zodiac (Dark Ether for 1 TP can almost completely remove TP issues for the entire party, 1TP meteors)
    • Prince (easily keeps all buffs up on entire party with a clone indefinitely)
    • Monk (TWO healers in one, easy benefits off "killed party member" skills)
    • Buccaneer (Another bind, full damage in backrow, great clones for a chasing party.)

Arbalist
    • Zodiac (Increased damage when hitting a weak point makes the elemental barrages a powerhouse against mobs; stick with Arbalist element attacks; singularity works on weapon-type weakness)
    • Shogun (chase-all skill does ludicrous damage alongside the Shogun/Buccaneer combo)
    • Gladiator (Giant's Kill is even better then Endless Battle+Back row protection for Charging up.)

Yggdroid
    • Arbalist (Lack of Giant's kill aside this unit is probably your best bet for Mortaring, though Dark Ether support would be nice.)
    • Hoplite (Slightly better bulk but loses the awesome Guardian skill.)
    • Farmer (Might as well put the two worst classes together, although it does give the farmer what it needs in terms of stats and equipment without losing much.)

Shogun
    • Buccaneer (Swashbuckling while dual-wielding causes a huge number of regular attacks. Combos with anyone who can chase each attack for big damage. Also, Shogun auto-death can proc on any extra hits)
    • Arbalist (Yes you can equip two bows)

Color coding as follows:

GOLD= The gold standard. Best in class. Every class has one.
    LIME= The second best option, usually slightly quirky. It's better then gold standard because it proves what a bad ass individual you are using something slightly out of the box. You hipster you.
    RED= A good idea on paper. The reason it hasn't been tested is that the one of the two classes involves probably sucks. Just like how annoying red shows up on this blue background.

NOTES ABOUT BUILDS:

Some builds only work right at higher levels. Either they need the right number of skill points to gel, or you need to unlock the class, or sometimes your equipment options just aren't enough to keep them alive. Some examples.

The Warrior Might Ultimate awesome combo. Every member of this team is fragile, from the Shogun Buccaneer missing the equipment slot to the Gladiator/Shogun spamming skills that lower his hp and def every few turns. You need to make absolutely sure you can protect them or kill anything before they can attack. Not meant for regular parting.

Ninja/Zodiac: Takes forever to get the stat points for the meteors. You'll basically be a dark ether tossing fool in any random encounter.

Zodiac/Gladiator: See above but with the added bonus of not even having a good back row weapon.

All Class skills are good, but some are better then others. Arbalists, Ninjas, Wildlings and Gladiators should max their class skill right away. Hoplites should consider it. Zodiacs should if you want to cast elemental spells. Monks need theirs as well, but you might want to get unbinding and status out of the way first. Princes can wait, and if you're going to put a farmer in your battle party you might as well go for that first.

ABOUT RESTING AND RETIRING

RESTING: Lose five levels and your sub class. Regain your skill points, adjusted for your new level plus any retirements. Also note that you will unequip all your equipment and your limit break when you do this.

RETIREMENT: Lose half your levels and your subclass, get a fresh recruit that you can rename or reclass with bonus skill points and stat points as follows. Note that these points are IN ADDITION the standard 2 points you get for a level one character.

Level 30-39=+4 skill points, +1 to each stat.
    Level 40-49=+5 skill points, +2 to each stat.
    Level 50-59=+6 skill points, +3 to each stat.
    Level 60-69=+7 skill points, +4 to each stat.
    Level 70-98=+8 skill points, +5 to each stat.
    Level 99 =+10 skill points, +7 to each stat.

SUB CLASSING:

Available after the second stratum this gives you the ability to learn the skills of another class. You immediately get five free skill points for choosing a sub class and can spend those on any available skills. Your sub job becomes the second tab on your skill customization screen. You can learn every skill other then the unique class skill, and you cannot sub class Yggdroid for obvious reasons. If a class skill is a weapon or shield mastery then putting one point into that skill allows a character who normally could not equip a weapon to equip it. In battle all sub job skills appear as blue.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Okay I guess XoB went ahead and took care of that.

Edit - And the game skips +9 skill points on retirement.

Henroid on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aistan wrote: »
    Ugh all my dudes are level 15ish but I can't beat Namer. I slowly wear him down but he drains my resources to the point where after he runs I don't have any items or TP left, so I can't deal with the rest of the fight much less all the FOEs he summons.

If you're wearing him down, to the point when he runs, you're doing it right - don't forget about the secret passages on either side of the room to let you move about the area a lot faster, and if you skip out of the room to camp at the nearby campsite, Narmer doesn't recover his HP.

From there, remember what the Zodiac said - use the terrain to your advantage, because hes going to try and run from you; but with those secret passages, you can surprise him AWAY from the extra FOEs - they won't try to join your fight, because they'll path back and forth, so you can fight Narmer alone and take all the time you need.

Keep up on your Joint Skills, and if you haven't yet, pick up some of the latest armors for your party, as well.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if I can beat a dragon before I retire, then roll those next ten levels into beating the next one.

All I can say is that this game has the best final boss by far, also the last stratum can eat a dick. (I love it but man is it a nightmare to map.) Pretty easy fights though, but you need to be on your guard.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How high is the Yggdroid HP compared to Gladiator? Has anyone found out?

I was surprised to see the Hoplite gains HP slower than the Gladiator.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Stats are surprisingly hard to find on this game. I had to do research using resting and retiring to find the stat bonuses for example (in fact I'm not sure if the 99 stat bonus is accurate seeing as I don't have a 99 to test out on.) but going by base they should be pretty good.

Also a friend of mine just beat the ng+ in about an hour by rushing up his farmer party and going through all the levels, switching out for boss fights. Awesome.

Xenogears of Bore on