As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: done for September, use the next thread

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Draper wrote: »
    And I think the old republic looks good. What's there to say that it'll be terrible aside from what this guy says?

I thought Warhammer Online looked good before it launched too.

And Aion
    And Age of Conan

Ect ect

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Old Republic will probably make its money back based on the license alone.

Possible, but I think Lucas and EA are really overestimating the draw of the Star Wars franchise. Lucas has been wrecking the Star Wars license for so long that's it's not exactly uncommon knowledge that it sucks now. I used to love the Star Wars stuff, but Lucas has managed to turn all that enjoyment into complete disgust; if I had kids, I wouldn't even let them watch that awful CG series. Not even because of a crazy grudge, but because I expect shows to have quality standards above "pretty lights" and "writing for 5-year-olds".

And I'm not saying the Old Republic MMO will be necessarily terrible, but I haven't seen any developers out there who I think are capable of wresting even a reasonable fraction of people away from WoW. I'm not sure it's even possible for a Star Wars MMO to crater as badly as something like APB, but I doubt it'll ever come close to the expectations EA has for it. So even if the Old Republic doesn't end up bad (which I'm doubting), it's still not going to get EA what it wants.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

If it did have a 300million budget, they would have to sell 6 million boxes just to break even. For a pc game.

WoW is only up to what, 12 million sold including expansions, after 6 years?

Morkath on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

If it did have a 300million budget, they would have to sell 6 million boxes just to break even. For a pc game.

WoW is only up to what, 12 million sold including expansions?

PROTIP: MMOs usually have rather pricey monthly fees that accompany them.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The fee is the easy part. The hard part is convincing people to either start paying it or keep paying it.

So even if Old Republic only sells, say, two million, it would have to keep all two million of those people playing for 3-4 months (using the WoW price scale) in order to break even. Hardly impossible, but WoW is still the main MMO super-saturating the market and Old Republic is going to have to be damned good to convince people to either give up on WoW or split time between the two. And by "damned good", I mean good enough to tempt the likes of myself despite alternating between indifference towards and contempt of MMOs in general. And right now, most people not playing WoW fit into those categories rather than the category of people just waiting for a better MMO to come out so they can join in.

Companies need to just stop right now with attempting to pull away people in any significant numbers from WoW with big-budget new releases. WoW is just so firmly entrenched now that the only thing which will kill it is time and a gradual loss of players, not the next killer MMO. It won't die, it will just fade away.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Ok so lets put a more realistic spin to this;
    Lets say they sell 1.5 million boxes in the first month at $50(Possibly a little low, SC2 sold 3 million in the first month, and people are fanbois about that game), they still have $225,000,000 to break even. If they got 750,000 subscribers after the free month they would need 20 months at $15 to break even.

Now with a probably more likely 400,000 subscribers at $15, they are making 6 million a month, and would need 37.5 months to break even. That is over 3 years; to break even.

Mind you they are still just paying back money they have already spent, this is not counting continued development/server costs which will just make this whole process take longer. Also none of this is taking into account decreased gains from monthly plan discounts, or further boxed sales/subscriptions if the game is a success.

If this game doesn't do amazingly out of the gate, I wouldn't be surprised to see dev support cut and the game kept on life support to wring as much money out of it as possible.

I am NOT saying "zomg tor is doomed!" I am just saying, this game has a ridiculously inflated budget.

Morkath on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They will release a glowing,force powered mount for 25$ and make all their money back in a day or two.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can see ToR being really good, but with their focus on fully voiced multi branching storylines it seems like a very content pressured game.

It just seems like it will be a game that a month or two from release vast swathes of the playerbase will go "That was awesome, but I finished up my storyline for now so I cancelled my account, I might resub when some content patches come out or something" And with each bit of new content they get a sharp boost in subs followed by an equally sharp decline a week later.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I can see ToR being really good, but with their focus on fully voiced multi branching storylines it seems like a very content pressured game.

It just seems like it will be a game that a month or two from release vast swathes of the playerbase will go "That was awesome, but I finished up my storyline for now so I cancelled my account, I might resub when some content patches come out or something" And with each bit of new content they get a sharp boost in subs followed by an equally sharp decline a week later.

I agree, except I don't think the players will come back. If/when the sales dip after people finish the content, it's not going to get more funding to create more content to bring players back. They will just keep bleeding money that way.
    It will get put on life support and squeezed for as much money as possible while providing as little as possible.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think it will make it's money back fairly easily, but I doubt it's long term success will be anything more than middling. It depends at what cycle in WoW's life it's released. If it's anywhere around an expansion launch it's going to suffer greatly, but towards the end of an expansion cycle it can easily charm a few months out of burned out WoW-ers regardless of overall quality.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

WoW is only up to what, 12 million sold including expansions, after 6 years?

It's actually 12 million active subscribers, not units sold.

reVerse on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I agree, except I don't think the players will come back. If/when the sales dip after people finish the content, it's not going to get more funding to create more content to bring players back. They will just keep bleeding money that way.
    It will get put on life support and squeezed for as much money as possible while providing as little as possible.

The thing that annoys me about this is that it's possibly going to be one of the best single-player RPGs ever. Assuming Bioware holds firm on not inserting time drains or repetitive quests between the real bits of content, we're talking about hundreds of hours of compelling adventuring with top-notch production values, across a multitude of different playstyles...until it eventually runs out.

At that point, everyone who was interested in the singleplayer-only content leaves, and they hope they've ensnared enough people to form a viable MMO community to continue paying the fee. And you have 1) a group of singleplayer-focused users who are both miffed at losing access to their singleplayer game (but not to the extent that they'll continue paying for something they're not using), and 2) a multiplayer community that will get restless when new content of comparable quality isn't forthcoming.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd also question Bioware's ability to maintain an MMO, specifically the technical side. It's one thing to build a house, it's another to keep the lights on. Blizzard for years was notorious for this. Everybody knows the horrors of "patch day", and even now they still haven't managed to master it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All this TOR talk is making me sad, because I want it to be good, but of course I'll just have to wait and see. I was hoping FF XIV would blow me away too, but that took about three days of beta for me to lose interest.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    According to a French website, SCEE is price cutting the PSP:
    PSP 3000:

down from 169 euros to 119 euros for the standalone

down from 189 euros to 139 euros for bundles

PSP go:

down from 250 euros to 179 euros, still with 10 free games to download from PSN.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish it were true...

Tim Schafer says Originality is the only way to success.

Then again, there are a lot of FPS games out there, and a lot of them are tanking *Cough, MoH, cough*. He cites Grand Theft Auto. I hope he's talking about III, because that was a massive triumph of originality, and it founded the Sandbox. Then they cranked out sequels, and they were all awesome. And while people were feeling the franchise was going into decline, Rockstar turns around and makes Red Dead Redemption, and provides everyone with something fresh again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    PSP 3000:

PSP go:

down from 250 euros to 179 euros, still with 10 free games to download from PSN.

Wait, the PSPGo was 250 euros while it was 250 US Dollars? That's a crazy rip off.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

My understanding is that if people are playing the entire storyline to their character within a couple months they're one of those play-for-16-hours-a-day types.

I'm not joking. Like this shit is suppose to be lengthy.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PSP 3000:

PSP go:

It'd be nice if SCEA did the same thing. NOT COUNTING ON IT.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

My understanding is that if people are playing the entire storyline to their character within a couple months they're one of those play-for-16-hours-a-day types.

I find that extremely hard to believe. I'd love to be wrong, though.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

The only way it's going to be that lengthy is because it's an MMO and it's going to be one big grind fest from start to finish. "Oh, want to see the next part of your personal storyline? Why won't you go grind on those womp rats for twenty levels, then we'll see if maybe you're worthy of advancing the story".

reVerse on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only way the story can be "months long" is if the few story scenes are put in between ridiculously long grinds and fetch quests.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wish it were true...

Then again, there are a lot of FPS games out there, and a lot of them are tanking *Cough, MoH, cough*. He cites Grand Theft Auto. I hope he's talking about III, because that was a massive triumph of originality, and it founded the Sandbox. Then they cranked out sequels, and they were all awesome. And while people were feeling the franchise was going into decline, Rockstar turns around and makes Red Dead Redemption, and provides everyone with something fresh again.

Seems rather ironic for Tim Schafer to be talking about success. Have any of his games not bombed commercially?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So...Medal of Honor looks fairly fucked.
    http://ps3.ign.com/objects/037/037293.html
    GameSpot 10/13/2010 7.5 /10 7.5
    GameSpy.com 10/12/2010 3 /5 6.0
    IGN.com 10/12/2010 6.0 /10 6.0
    1UP.com 10/12/2010 B /A+ 8.0
    Giant Bomb 10/12/2010 3 /5 6.0
    Metacritic has it at about 75 right now, but Steam's showing fewer people playing than Killing Floor or Garry's Mod.
    Yikes! 2,200 peak on steam release day 1. That is tragic. It is also released on consoles, but this does not bode well.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    So... Reboot?

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They shouldn't have launched so close to CODBLOPS, methinks.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wish it were true...

Seems rather ironic for Tim Schafer to be talking about success. Have any of his games not bombed commercially?

Full Throttle did fine, I think? Still his best work.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5662886/gran-turismo-5-delayed-now-coming-this-holiday-season
    I bet you thought that Polyphony Digital was going to stick to the release date for the Playstation 3's Gran Turismo 5 unveiled at E3 earlier this year? Boy were you wrong.

Sony confirmed this morning that the game will not be available Nov. 2
    We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches.

We'll have more information for you in the near future.2, but said that it will be coming this "holiday season."
    Hahahahahahaha.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    The only way the story can be "months long" is if the few story scenes are put in between ridiculously long grinds and fetch quests.

They've apparently put in some ridiculously obscene amount of dialog, all spoken.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5662886/gran-turismo-5-delayed-now-coming-this-holiday-season
    I bet you thought that Polyphony Digital was going to stick to the release date for the Playstation 3's Gran Turismo 5 unveiled at E3 earlier this year? Boy were you wrong.

Sony confirmed this morning that the game will not be available Nov. 2
    We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches.

We'll have more information for you in the near future.2, but said that it will be coming this "holiday season."
    Hahahahahahaha.
    Does anyone have any budget estimates for GT5? They must be astronomically high at this point.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

They've apparently put in some ridiculously obscene amount of dialog, all spoken.

Going to be such a shame when nobody even reads it and clicks right through as with every other MMO.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    re: GT5

Hahahaha.

I so called it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The Mass Effect games have ridiculously obscene amount of dialog, all spoken, and it doesn't take months to beat them.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GT5 kinda has a Duke Nukem Forever thing going, huh?

Gearbox is going to have to step in eventually I think.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    About GT5.....Bwahahahaha, this is almost becoming a parody on how 'not' to launch a new game in a highly respected franchise. :lol:

Step 1: Announce game
    Step 2: Release 40.00 demo
    Step 3: Delay the game numerous times
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: PROFIT!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    About GT5.....Bwahahahaha, this is almost becoming a parody on how 'not' to launch a new game in a highly respected franchise. :lol:

Step 1: Announce game
    Step 2: Release 40.00 demo
    Step 3: Delay the game numerous times
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: BLAME PIRACY FOR LACK OF PROFIT!

Fixed that last step for you.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Going to be such a shame when nobody even reads it and clicks right through as with every other MMO.

"We require your aid! The imperials are making advancements towards our area, and we are running low on supplies of tauntaun hides to keep us warm. Go out and collect ten tauntaun hides. You may find them to the north of here."

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

"We require your aid! The imperials are making advancements towards our area, and we are running low on supplies of tauntaun hides to keep us warm. Go out and collect ten tauntaun hides. You may find them to the north of here."

And once you get there you discover that only one out of eight tauntauns have a hide.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn skinless Tauntauns.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Damn skinless Tauntauns.

Nah. You don't have quests to kill those until you are around level 43.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.