As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Online CB has more teething problems than a sack full of puppies

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The best part about the Durasteel Wang/Regenerative Biosteel Limbs combo is the reroll when you use your wang as a ranged weapon.

No, the best part is splitting the Durasteel Wang down the middle and letting both regenerate into Dual Wielding Durasteel Wangs.
    Think bigger.

We could be quad-wielding thrown Durasteel Wangs.

Get your head in the game.

Let's not get into thrown weapons here. A Durasteel Wang would have to be a Heavy Thrown, and that's taking the weapon out of the DEX stat where it really belongs.

EDIT: Just look at the Wang Mastery feat. Requires 20 DEX. You really want that extra chance of crit in the late game.
    A Zombie Robot could swing 20 Dex by Epic no problem. They'll probably want it for feats like "Duck Headshot" anyway.

But at that point you're really dumping your Will defense. And how are you going to handle the inevitable Mutant Hackers? I mean, unless you like putting holes in your friends with your own Durasteel Wangs once they override your neural net and send you into floor model mode.

And seriously, if your DM sees you going for this kind of build, there's no way he's not going to throw some Mutant Hackers your way.
    No brain, no Will defense. No defense, no successful attacks.

Try to keep up.

You're forgetting Gamma World Handbook Chapter 9 Subsection C Paragraph 2 Clause 4:

"All Robots are considered to have a Will Defense for the purpose of negating any subversive program or hacking attempt on their processors. This represents the chance of the robot's software or hardware to be of a sufficiently alien nature that the attack cannot succeed."

Looks like someone needs to back to Gamma World School. Besides, if that were the case, why would there be Mutant Hackers with powers that specifically target PC robots?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The best part about the Durasteel Wang/Regenerative Biosteel Limbs combo is the reroll when you use your wang as a ranged weapon.

No, the best part is splitting the Durasteel Wang down the middle and letting both regenerate into Dual Wielding Durasteel Wangs.
    Think bigger.

Let's not get into thrown weapons here. A Durasteel Wang would have to be a Heavy Thrown, and that's taking the weapon out of the DEX stat where it really belongs.

EDIT: Just look at the Wang Mastery feat. Requires 20 DEX. You really want that extra chance of crit in the late game.
    A Zombie Robot could swing 20 Dex by Epic no problem. They'll probably want it for feats like "Duck Headshot" anyway.

But at that point you're really dumping your Will defense. And how are you going to handle the inevitable Mutant Hackers? I mean, unless you like putting holes in your friends with your own Durasteel Wangs once they override your neural net and send you into floor model mode.

And seriously, if your DM sees you going for this kind of build, there's no way he's not going to throw some Mutant Hackers your way.

Try to keep up.

You're forgetting Gamma World Handbook Chapter 9 Subsection C Paragraph 2 Clause 4:

"All Robots are considered to have a Will Defense for the purpose of negating any subversive program or hacking attempt on their processors. This represents the chance of the robot's software or hardware to be of a sufficiently alien nature that the attack cannot succeed."

Looks like someone needs to back to Gamma World School. Besides, if that were the case, why would there be Mutant Hackers with powers that specifically target PC robots?
    Ah HA! But you're forgetting that the Litigation Subjugation Mutation quality allows me to ignore one clause in any of the core books of my choosing.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Gammaworld is DnD Calvinball, I take it.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    My second game with ravensmuse's group was last night. We were exploring goblin-infested tunnels. Our intel told us that there was a hobgoblin patrol going around. I suggested we send a scout ahead who could do a hit-and-run and then lead the patrol into an ambush. Looking back, I still think it was a good idea with the information that we had.

The scout -- an archer ranger --went ahead stealthily. The rest of the party hid down the hallway, about 10 squares, around a corner. The archer found some goblins. Not the goblins we were looking for, but some goblins. All was going more or less according to plan, so he used his surprise round to twin strike a couple goblins. He had a screaming bow, so it made an unmistakable sound. But that's OK -- the plan was, after all, that the ranger would be a lure. Two of the goblins went down (minions) and the ranger retreated.

However, instead of following the ranger as planned, the goblins stood their ground. This was because the ranger's screaming bow caught the attention of two trolls and a cave bear the next room over. Our plan to isolate and ambush totally backfired, and we ended up chaining together three different encounters at once.

So in one encounter we fought a troll, a cave bear (elite), some sort of goblin controller, and -- to our surprise -- a goblin shaman who turned out to be a solo.

Fortunately the monsters were not friends. Our strategy was tactical retreat, letting the monsters fight each other.

We did fine.
    I'm surprised you didn't go into my girl's assassin totally staying in character and trying to book it out of the caves - only to return heroically to shove healing potions down the ranger's throat.

For the record? Yeah, it was great that we tried to do the encounter on our terms. What wasn't great? It ended up in a four hour slugfest of "okay, hit it - d'oh, too low!"

I was totally on Zed's (party wizard) side: we should have handled it the way Team Special handles any problem. Charge in, and damn the torpedoes. It's kind of sad the troll and Winnie the Pooh did all the work for us, and things didn't really shift in our favor until I hit with my Daily...

On the other hand, I think I'm going to revise Jotun.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    So Gammaworld is DnD Calvinball, I take it.

Their houseruled version of it seems to be.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    @ravensmuse

Frankly, I am still kind of unclear on how charging in with no plan would have helped us. In fact, we would've been even more cooked, since our tactical retreat would've been harder. Whether we were trying to gain surprise or not, the ranger's screaming bow was going to go off at some point and attract those fucking trolls.

Maybe the DM just decided to punish us for trying to get an advantage.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

Try to keep up.

Ah HA! But you're forgetting that the Litigation Subjugation Mutation quality allows me to ignore one clause in any of the core books of my choosing.

This thread has official come off the wheels.

But that by know means should stop it.

Sorta like how the Exotic Wang Proficiency feat allows you to subsitute your Durasteel Wang for any limb that many have been severed, albiet at a -2 penalty to all rolls, due to the lack of an opposable digit.

UNLESS, you took the feat Extra Genital Digit, in which you can ignore the -2 penalty, of course.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

Try to keep up.

exploding_head_.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Announcing the D&D Class Compendium

A new Dungeons & Dragons player-focused character class book debuts in February, 2011 with the release of Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell. This product compiles information and important rules updates for the original Player’s Handbook versions of the Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Warlord, and Wizard. Utilizing the new 6x9 digest-sized Essentials-style presentation format, new players looking for more options beyond Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms can easily dive into this Class Compendium. It incorporates the original class builds, which have been totally updated and recast in the new presentation format, along with feats that allow the original class builds and the new class builds to work together. It also features more feats, rituals, and rules for multiclassing.

Going forward, we want to ensure that players using either the printed products or the D&D Insider Digital Tools have the same access to rules updates and other game material. Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell helps us achieve that goal while also making it easier to expand your options for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game.

I would imagine this is good news for people who were worried that Essentials was "replacing" the old stuff!

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Think bigger.

Try to keep up.

exploding_head_.jpg

And thanks for reminding us how stupid this entire thread is. Quad wielding Durasteel Wangs is pointless when the entire high level game in Gamma World is dominated by Mutant Brainomancers and their stupid "Save verus Brain Explosion or Die" effects.

"Did you roll a natural 20? Too bad *KABOOM*. Here's a fresh character sheet."

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C[noparse]D:[/noparse] Kord is nice BTW. Buncha backgrounds, some fluff, and a few Skill Powers. Like this one:
    Kord’s Force Athletics Utility 6
    Summoning all your training as well as your might, your
    effort exceeds what strength alone could gain.

At-Will
    No Action Personal

Trigger: You would make a Strength check.
    Effect: You make an Athletics check in place of the
    Strength check.

It's not particularly super-powered, but I do so love "no action at-will" - it's my favourite combination.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

Try to keep up.

Mornington Crescent.

Rius on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone pick up the Dungeon set yet? Thinkin' about picking it up tonight but I'm not sure if it's just awesome or if it's so awesome.

SJ on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you talking about the tiles? I just got them yesterday and they seem nice.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

A new Dungeons & Dragons player-focused character class book debuts in February, 2011 with the release of Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell. This product compiles information and important rules updates for the original Player’s Handbook versions of the Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Warlord, and Wizard. Utilizing the new 6x9 digest-sized Essentials-style presentation format, new players looking for more options beyond Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms can easily dive into this Class Compendium. It incorporates the original class builds, which have been totally updated and recast in the new presentation format, along with feats that allow the original class builds and the new class builds to work together. It also features more feats, rituals, and rules for multiclassing.

Going forward, we want to ensure that players using either the printed products or the D&D Insider Digital Tools have the same access to rules updates and other game material. Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell helps us achieve that goal while also making it easier to expand your options for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game.

I would imagine this is good news for people who were worried that Essentials was "replacing" the old stuff!

So is it supose to be more-or-less the Rules Compendium of PHB1 (or at least for the classes in Heroes of the Fallen Lands + Warlord), or is there going to be new stuff in it?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you talking about the tiles? I just got them yesterday and they seem nice.

yep, the dungeon set that just came out not too long ago

SJ on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

So is it supose to be more-or-less the Rules Compendium of PHB1 (or at least for the classes in Heroes of the Fallen Lands + Warlord), or is there going to be new stuff in it?

Whilst having an erratered version of the classes in a book is going to be nice, this does essentially (no pun intended) replace the PHB1. So is it still going to remain in print? I know they said before it was but this would be the beginnings of making it somewhat redundant. (Still a couple of classes left in it...)

Call me old fashioned but I'm going to be sad about D&D without PHBs and DMGs. It still seems weird saying to people their first purchases should be some boxset not called 'Players Handbook'...

Lezta on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lezta wrote: »

Whilst having an erratered version of the classes in a book is going to be nice, this does essentially (no pun intended) replace the PHB1. So is it still going to remain in print? I know they said before it was but this would be the beginnings of making it somewhat redundant. (Still a couple of classes left in it...)

Call me old fashioned but I'm going to be sad about D&D without PHBs and DMGs. It still seems weird saying to people their first purchases should be some boxset not called 'Players Handbook'...
    Welcome to 1986.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    This is annoying. Psionic Power is in the Builder, but not the Compendium. Heroes of the Fallen Lands feats are in the Compendium, but not the builder.

HotFL's updated ability scores are in the Builder because they were part of the errata-before-last. Whoopeee.

This...uh, this makes no fucking sense. I could see something in the Compendium not being properly implemented in the CB yet....but the other way around?

Uh, what the hell?

I had this silly thought that maybe WoTC has separate teams working on the Compendium and Builder, and so each team didn't contact the other team enough to ensure everything was included with each other's product. But, that would be silly.

Then again, WoTC and the Internets. :?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lezta wrote: »

The book itself might be replaced by this and future releases like it, but I guess what I meant is that the classes and builds from PHB are apparently not going away and are not just going to be ignored in favor of the Essentials builds. I do wish that they were including all the PHB1 material in this book though, it seems kind of silly to exclude just a few classes.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heh. I've been playing Planescape: Torment for the first time, and have been mulling over treating a Deva's past lives like the Nameless One's past incarnations. Kinda neat to see a Features article echoing some of my thoughts.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heh. I've been playing Planescape: Torment for the first time, and have been mulling over treating a Deva's past lives like the Nameless One's past incarnations. Kinda neat to see a Features article echoing some of my thoughts.

I have a deva character who has almost or HAS fallen as a Rakshasa, come back as a Revanant, then come back to being a deva.

Also he is an Invoker.... of LOVE. Who used to be the Warlord of Love until his fall and rise made his wisdom and charisma swap places.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I have a deva character who has almost or HAS fallen as a Rakshasa, come back as a Revanant, then come back to being a deva.

Also he is an Invoker.... of LOVE. Who used to be the Warlord of Love until his fall and rise made his wisdom and charisma swap places.

Then there's a question I must ask you.

Has he ever been a Gangster of Love?
    SteveMillerBand-01-big.jpg

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nah.

He's more modeled after Ruby Rod.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

To be honest, I barely even know what a Deva is, and almost none of those words make any sense to me... but that sounds awesome.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Devas are basically angels incarnated in flesh (having made a pact with the Primal Spirits to do so) so that they could live as mortals do. When they die, they reincarnate into (usually) new, fully-formed devas. If they die while evil, they instead reincarnate into rakshasas.

To flesh it out a bit more: My character started off as an Angel of Love, an extremely charismatic but brash leader-type angel who fought in the Dawn War, defending the world and mortals that the gods so loved. Once the Dawn War was over, he became a Deva. During one of his lives, something or someone caused him to shift toward evil. A particular woman either caused him to become that way, or brought him back to unaligned, possibly both. In the next life, he took on the shape of that woman, but as a revenant, so that for the whole of that life, whenever he saw his reflection, it was THAT woman he saw. During that life, his uber charisma and lowish wisdom flipped... he lost his personal magnetism but gained the profound insight that allowed him to step toward salvation. In his current life he is a deva again, and unaligned. But there are still signs of the rakshasa influence... his deva markings are stripes that show up only where he would normally be covered by clothing, and (using druid multiclass) he can wild shape into a tiger. He'll eventually start picking up charm-oriented abilities as he continues to skirt the line between deva and rakshasa, though his only motive for going in either direction is love for the world.

I make a point of making his invoker powers thematic. For example, his "Offering of Justice" power is "Offering of Love" and actually summons one of his old angelic subbordinates OR a version of himself in a past life that has one rakshasa hand hidding behind its back, and one normal hand offering the "love." When an enemy chooses to refrain from attacking, they get the temp HP from the power as an embrace, if they attack someone and take the auto-damage, they get the rakshasa claw through their heart.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You're making me miss playing Penurius Fides, my Deva Invoker of Mystra, who when she died (in the prelude to 4E Forgotten Realms) went down a self-destructive road and became completely disillusioned with all the gods. In the game, he drew his power not from any one god, but from whichever god happened to be in favor of his actions at any given time. He decided that rather than focus on the whims of Immortals, he would do what he could to improve the state of the world that most of the people had to deal with. He also pretty much hated the gods, and during an encounter where he spoke directly to the Raven Queen, called her out for being the huge, pulsating vagina she is.

It didn't hurt that he was also balls-to-the-wall awesome mechanically. Preserving Invokers are great secondary Leaders, and this guy even took a Cleric MC feat to gain Healer's Mercy as an encounter power. And then of course he went Divine Oracle, possibly the most bananas PP in the game. You really notice that encounter power to make any hit into a crit when you've got a Barbarian in the group. Since it was a Maptools game, I took to drawing a little cloud of doom over the target to denote his soon-to-be-deceased status.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, my deva is also a preservoker. It's really a wonderful set. Currently planning on taking Keeper of the Hidden Flame. It'll go very well with our charge-happy barbarian, tactlord, and uber defensive paladin.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Silly character builder. I'm trying to make an 11th level defender, and when I add some nice +3 Gith armor, it suddenly weighs 250 lbs and is causing me to lose AC and Reflex defense for being "heavily encumbered."

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    Silly character builder. I'm trying to make an 11th level defender, and when I add some nice +3 Gith armor, it suddenly weighs 250 lbs and is causing me to lose AC and Reflex defense for being "heavily encumbered."

Should have picked Dwarf.

streever on
  • Options
    snypersnyper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Did you add level appropriate funds? The builder doesn't factor them in until you either add or buy an item, then you suddenly have hundreds of pounds of gold in your inventory.

snyper on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I actually got rid of all the money. Gith fullplate and heavy shield seem to not like each other or something.

Since I like pencil and paper anyway, I'm doing it by hand!

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I actually got rid of all the money. Gith fullplate and heavy shield seem to not like each other or something.

THREE CHEERS FOR LUDDISM! <3

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2010

THREE CHEERS FOR LUDDISM! <3

I don't think it's Luddism if I have a back up plan for when technology fails.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    turks

when donuts responds to a post of yours with a one liner like that

maybe ignore him because probably he's just acting out to get attention

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to live in a world where this whole "No Essentials in the CB" thing is a majestic and Kaufman-esque homage to the retro styling of the Red Box.

I'm pretty sure this world isn't it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    turks

This.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    turks

Ignoring donuts is hazardous to one's health.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    turks

Ignoring donuts is hazardous to one's health.

I thought obesity was the health risk?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last time I ignored donuts he killed forty people with a single grenade. True story.

I'm going over to Newcastle next week to play an intensive three-day campaign with some old friends. My 4E experience has been rather limited but I'm pumped- I don't think there'd be a better introduction (well not my first time but you know what I mean) than playing it with the group who used to do 3.5 with me. Beer and pizza and DECAPITATED ORCS all the way!

Although I suspect it might be wise to brush up on the mechanics a bit more before it starts. I usually latch on to new systems really easily but it never hurts to be prepared...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png