As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Phalla] Ends With You - Game Over

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woohoo! Good game everyone. Thanks for running it Green!

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, so this was fun, but for future reference, un-masoned mafia almost never works unless they are ABSURDLY powerful and in high numbers.

Which we weren't, in either capacity.

Still a fun, chaotic, ridiculous game though! But I doubt the Reapers could have won unless we got really lucky.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The game suffered severe balance issues (and odd play by "neutrals") but I want to say that you're a good host Green.

In that you execute well and are on top of things.

I'd like to see another game from you.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cheez wrote: »
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    cheez wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Apparently there were two groups of 6 masons also... O_o

No, REG Rysk was just a dork and thought that everybody who got the Player role PM with him was masoned with him.

Including me.

My bad for fail clarification from Green? He told me something I knew couldn't be true.
    Green wrote:
    1. If your Role PM contains the name of another player, then you know that player's one (and only) Role.

Obviously a lie, since I was the Proxy and I got two role PMs. What the hell kind of clarification is that?!

Haha dude, everybody got the player role PM. If you got a second one, that was your real role. How is that so confusing?

I count 8 names in the Player role PM. Did you count 50? Because if you did, you can't count. Other groups of people got similar PMs. If he made that clarification, and did similar PMing of roles to other people, it looks like masons to me.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There were balance issues, but overall I was engaged. Granted I got to have a more fun role than I could have , thanks to the person I was basically serving Dragon to (vagrant_winds).

I enjoyed it , Green.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I count 8 names in the Player role PM. Did you count 50? Because if you did, you can't count. Other groups of people got similar PMs. If he made that clarification, and did similar PMing of roles to other people, it looks like masons to me.

He did a clarification early on. Its less common now a days, but it was fairly common practice for the "vanilla role" to get mass-pm'd to save the GM time in the past.

Egos on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It was interesting mechanics, but the mafia had essentially no chance of winning without taking control of GM on day 1 or 2.

We had no reliable kills and a win condition that required killing 40ish people in 7 days.

Sticks on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sticks wrote: »
    It was interesting mechanics, but the mafia had essentially no chance of winning without taking control of GM on day 1 or 2.

We had no reliable kills and a win condition that required killing 40ish people in 7 days.

And we had no idea who each other was so we could very easily have been voting for each other and killing each other with no knowledge.

Separate, masoned mafias works well, but one big un-masoned mafia doesn't work. And in a game this size there should have been more than 8 of us, unless we had like 5 kills a night.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Was the game intended to be more Composer+ Producer+Conducter+ Reapers vs Players?

I could see it being doable then, especially if you got a reaper as gm or someone very unfortunate in the position :I

Egos on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Night 1: Seered CJ as the Producer. Allied with and trusted/tested Egos and to a lesser extent Kime.

Night 2: Seered Infidel as a Reaper. Allied with CJ. Found out Infidel was The Conductor. Chose to vig him and let mafia damn themselves with voting records. Suspected and pushed 3clipse and Sticks (right on both counts). Egos gets seered by Duna. Network now has two village aligned seers.

Night 3: Seered Rysk and cleared him. Roman gets seered as a Reaper.

And Night 4 happened as you saw it.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Obviously the game did not go quite how I expected it. D:

I did intend for this game to be played with a rather agressive mafia (as the Reaper boards figured out) as just waiting things out was definitely not a winning strategy. The Reapers essentially had to slaughter 40 (38) people in a week, but were given very little in direct ways to accomplish it.

I was expecting at least a few casualties in most of the missions, especially once the Walls went up. You guys are very lucky Egos got in the GM spot. :P

Speaking of the GM spot! Infidel was two votes away from GM on Day 2! I was pretty surprised he didn't kill Egos to claim it. In fact, NOBODY ever tried to kill Egos or kime, despite the fact that the GM could be killed by any of the top three specials. (Conductor, Composer, Producer)

In hindsight I should have given the Reapers a bit more power (originally the plan was 5 regular Reapers, giving them each 5x vote to begin with and a massive 25-vote block for the nightly kill, which I changed at the last minute) and an idea that occured to me too late was to make their final-day kill multiplicative too. That would have been a good incentive for the more traditional "wait it out" play style, I think. The Noise Reapers I know are a bit useless because of the completely random nature, but I intended them to be sort of wildcards that would throw off any village analysis.

There are an INSANE number of specials in this game. Of the 48 players, only 12 don't have some kind of ability. I did want to try and give everyone something, but just keeping track of everything already in place (and 3-4 daily votes! WHAT WAS I THINKING) was a big enough task already.

There was a fair bit of confusion over things like win conditions and abilities, and I tried to help out as much as I could without giving some of the secrets away. I'm sorry if my responses led to some of you making the wrong choices, this is only my second time hosting and my first time hosting a bunch of Phalla veterans. D:

In short, I know the game was kind of flawed, but I still hope you guys had fun with it. I had a great time watching all of you play, especially when the Missions came around. Thanks for playing everyone! :D

Green on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The romanqwerty wagon actually pointed out to me a fatal flaw in the way Phalla players think, which is that someone says "SEER SAYS THEY'RE MAFIA!" and then everyone goes "OH SHIT!" and votes for them without validating the source.

There was no reason to trust Egos's post. It was true in this case, but that willingness to assume seer validity strikes me as something that a clever mafia could abuse quite easily.

EDIT: It was definitely fun Green! Awesome setting to begin with, and you did a great job really making the phalla feel like it was part of the Game. Just needed some balancing, but that comes with experience xD

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Night 2: Seered Infidel as a Reaper. Allied with CJ. Found out Infidel was The Conductor. Chose to vig him and let mafia damn themselves with voting records. Suspected and pushed 3clipse and Sticks (right on both counts). Egos gets seered by Duna. Network now has two village aligned seers.

It was actually durax. Dunadan was his proxy. I recommended roman to him after he made contact with me. After talking to Falcon and learning of the insane mason group, there was a limited number of players left. Falcon seemed off, asked him to seer him. Rysk preferred a more hands on approach (e.g. to straight off kill him).

The roman wagon would have waited, but CJ wanted to get a kill in since he was going out of town. And Rysk seemed in trouble of getting bw'd. And I made a deal with the composer to make sure Rysk wasn't in trouble, so had to do the roman thing earlier than I wanted. Granted seeing how split the mafia was. Not much info would have been gained.

Sticks was the name I gave CJ for the kill. V_W was suspect of him. I wasn't so much, except that he y'know voted green for Infidel. The fact that my vote didnt get any attention raised suspicion...granted my logic wasnt great. And the whole 3clipse/Rysk/Sticks clusterfuck. With MaxFrost in there hehe. I started to agree..

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Night 1: Seered CJ as the Producer. Allied with and trusted/tested Egos and to a lesser extent Kime.

God dammit, there is no reason that should have worked.

We didn't even know about each other, so my incriminating vote record was bullshit.

Just one more straw on the pile i suppose

edit: and my green vote on infidel. More incriminating "evidence" of me just voting like a normal villager.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Green wrote: »
    Speaking of the GM spot! Infidel was two votes away from GM on Day 2! I was pretty surprised he didn't kill Egos to claim it.

Why would you expect me to kill someone to obtain a position that I do not need, which would only bring attention down directly on me and attach my name to his death, when I'm one of the biggest seer targets in the game and my VC is to survive mostly? :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    The romanqwerty wagon actually pointed out to me a fatal flaw in the way Phalla players think, which is that someone says "SEER SAYS THEY'RE MAFIA!" and then everyone goes "OH SHIT!" and votes for them without validating the source.

There was no reason to trust Egos's post. It was true in this case, but that willingness to assume seer validity strikes me as something that a clever mafia could abuse quite easily.

Well you are not aware of one thing. There was a very large network.

Egos on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Uh, but Egos was obviously networked. How would anybody have had reason to doubt him?

And even aside from this game, if somebody names a seered mafia, you vote for them. Because if it's actually a mafia ploy, well, you've got an obvious mafioso to vote for the next day. 1 to 1 trades are to the village's advantage.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I've pointed it out before, especially since I've used it to win as a mafia member.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There was every reason to trust Egos.

He saved our asses by making sure the GM missions were at opportune times and we were prepared for them with subtle hints.
    And him calling The Producer's kill on Mr. Big Bad Reaper Infidel.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It might have been a bad coincidence 3clipse. But you were suspect for reasons backstage because when the fluff mission was handed out and I was asking for fluff people around you were previously ultra hyper and you kinda disappeared from the thread. Despite being very active before. And I saw the gold (I'm on sign).

Also knowing you had a green Infidel vote. It wasn't 100%. But it wasn't just luck :I It might have been coincidence though.

Egos on
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I just confused everybody.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It might have been a bad coincidence 3clipse. But you were suspect for reasons backstage because when the fluff mission was handed out and I was asking for fluff people around you were previously ultra hyper and you kinda disappeared from the thread. Despite being very active before. And I saw the gold (I'm on sign).

Also knowing you had a green Infidel vote. It wasn't 100%. But it wasn't just luck :I It might have been coincidence though.

No, you guys don't get it, it's totally unrelated.

Because I am not a fucking reaper, as I told you repeatedly.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    Speaking of the GM spot! Infidel was two votes away from GM on Day 2! I was pretty surprised he didn't kill Egos to claim it.

Why would you expect me to kill someone to obtain a position that I do not need, which would only bring attention down directly on me and attach my name to his death, when I'm one of the biggest seer targets in the game and my VC is to survive mostly? :D

You'd have gotten 2 extra kills, posted the mission at some ungodly hour without notice (or fake a mission), and rally other Reapers to vote to keep you in power. I just had this mad, wonderful dream of a Reaper seizing power and crushing the players. :D

Green on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Role PM: "You are a Clairvoyant Player! Each day, you may PM me to Scan 1 other player."

At the start I had thought there would people who could avoid the scanning ability, but I guess that warning was there just to implicate the neutrals?

durax on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MaxFrost wrote: »
    I think I just confused everybody.

Not at all. Your reveal let the network further damn suspects when they pushed you instead of the two other bandwagons.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So it was purely coincidence and you guys werent working together? I was under the impression you were?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You'd have gotten 2 extra kills, posted the mission at some ungodly hour without notice (or fake a mission), and rally other Reapers to vote to keep you in power. I just had this mad, wonderful dream of a Reaper seizing power and crushing the players. :D

My point is that that goes entirely against my win condition that you gave me of laying low. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So it was purely coincidence and you guys werent working together? I was under the impression you were?

Infidel had to kill the Composer, Proxy, and survive. The Reapers had to kill everyone.

Green on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

He was neutral though.

For future games, if the mafia NEEDS to act boldly and make a play for the GM role....make it clear from the get go. Add something into their role PMs about time being of the essense, bold actions, etc etc.

Make it absolutely CLEAR that the normal wait and see approach will not work, because wait and see is 99.999999999% of the time going to be what the mafia does.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Infidel had to kill the Composer, Proxy, and survive. The Reapers had to kill everyone.

So just wondering was there any contact between Infidel and the reapers?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was the only neutral playing such correctly.

I was in touch with the reapers (since I seered one day 1) and the "network."

Unfortunately the other neutrals were geese.

So I said fuck it and gave the reapers all the info I had when they decided to backstab me.

Just to emphasize how powerless the mafia were, this had no meaningful impact on the game. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So just wondering was there any contact between Infidel and the reapers?

cheez contacted him after you publicly revealed him.

Sticks on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Green, would you post all the Role PMs?

I'd like to see who I might have been.

durax on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Oh, but I too was a clairovoyant player!

Day 1: Scanned Shalmelo as a trendy player. introduced myself, he got RNG mafia killed the next day :(

Day 2: Scanned CJ as the Producer, got scanned by both Infidel (conductor) and Spoit (the composer). Spoit introduced himself first as a scanning villager, then after he mentions too many seers I get suspicious of him and he spills everything about being the conductor. Hooked up himself, CJ, and Rysk (spoit also scanned Rysk) over the course of the next day and a half, got Infidel's name passed on to Spoit for his victory condition, CJ and Spoit eliminate him in fear that infidel is some kind of super reaper.

Hook up with Egos to an extent since he tells me that infidel is a reaper independently and spoit has seered egos as trendy player. I decide he's trustworthy enough to establish some contact.

Infidel reveals he scanned me and kinda yells at me for a while, being pissed at the craziness that occured. I think infidel is aligned with the Reapers and get worried. Still manage to avoid letting "teh mafias" (read: an infidel about to die) know I'm in contact with the producer, proxy, and composer.

Day 3: Scanned phyphor as a vanillager. /yawn

Some network craziness and kime being kime (claimed to be composer to Egos) led to me panicking and asking Spoit for confirmation that kime was a contact for him, Spoit told me that kime was also a seer.

Seeing an unbalanced game that I'd win as long as I survived to the end, sold out kime to romanqwerty in an agreement to keep me from being mafia killed, oblivious to the fact that reaper kills were RNGed and all reaper kills would be gone after he died :lol: :twisted:. Learn from conversations with RQ that he was almost certainly not masoned with Infidel, but can't reveal that as it's rather incriminating towards me :whistle:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The unmasoned mafia wasn't a bad thing in itself but when combined with no real mafia kill we had utterly no chance.

If the vote manipulation was meant to be useful, why make us unmasoned since now the vote manip group can't really steer anything because they don't know who anyone is.

Not to mention, we weren't told that we'd gain anything from the GM spot, only hints from the thread.

You mention that we should of have removed the GMs in power? How? The only people who had targetted kills weren't even directly aligned with us.

The game was a good idea and you ran it very well but i'm having a hard time seeing how it could ever be envisioned as balanced.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    STANDARD VILLAGER PM
    Welcome to Shibuya...

You're suddenly standing in the middle of a bustling Japanese crosswalk, completely unaware of how you've gotten here or why everyone seems to be completely ignoring you. Looking down, you see a strange pin at your feet...

HNI_0024.jpg
    [tiny]y=current day[/tiny]

As you pick it up and fasten it to your shirt, you notice a large group of people waving you over to join them. Every single one of them is wearing the same strange pin. Hoping to gain some answers, you rush to join the group.

...you have 7 days.

Your Win Condition:
    Survive the week.

PROXY PM
    You are the Proxy! As the Composer's chosen representative in the Game, you've been granted certain powers to aid you in survival.

-You Scan as a regular player to almost everyone.
    -Each day, you can PM me to EITHER Scan 1 player OR Erase 1 player.

COMPOSER PM
    You are the Composer! You are the creator of the Game and master of the Underground. After betting on the outcome of this game with the Conductor, you've secretly joined as a player in order to ensure that your Proxy (_______) survives the week. You've severely limited your power in order to avoid detection, but you're still far from powerless.

-You Scan as a regular player to almost everyone.
    -You cannot be Erased except by the village vote, or the GM.
    -You do not need to Pact with another player to survive.
    -You are unaffected by Brands.
    -You may guard the Proxy from Erasure (from any source) once. This guard is automatic (you don't need to PM me to use it) until it is used.
    -Each day, you can PM me to EITHER Scan 2 players OR Erase 1 player.

Your Win Condition: Erase the Conductor, Pact with the Proxy and maintain this Pact until the Game ends. (The Pact can be temporarily broken, as long as it is restored before the end of Day 7.)

TRENDY PLAYER PM
    You are a Trendy Player! Each day, your chosen Brand automatically switches to that day's most popular Brand.

SELFLESS PLAYER PM
    You are a Selfless Player! Each day, you may PM me to guard 1 other player. If they are targeted for Erasure, you will be Erased instead.

CLAIRVOYANT PLAYER PM
    You are a Clairvoyant Player! Each day, you may PM me to Scan 1 other player.

POPULAR PLAYER PM
    You are a Popular Player! You cannot be Erased by the village vote. Your fellow Popular Players are __________

REAPER PM
    Unseen by the others, your Player Pin shimmers and reveals its true colors...

HNI_0023.jpg

You are a Reaper! Under orders from the Conductor, the 4 of you (__________) have infiltrated the Game disguised as players to make sure that none of them survive the week.

-Each of your votes for Erasure is multiplied by however many of you remain in the Game. (i.e. 4 Reapers = 4x vote, 3 Reapers = 3x vote, etc.)
    -On Day 7 only, each remaining Reaper can PM me to Erase 1 player.

Your Win Condition: Erase all non-Reaper players before the Game ends.

WALL REAPER PM

HNI_0023.jpg

You are a Wall Reaper! Under orders from the Conductor, the 2 of you (__________) have infiltrated the Game disguised as players to make sure that none of them survive the week.

-Each day, you may PM me to create a Wall. This reduces the time to complete the next day's Mission by 50%. If both Walls are used on the same day, the Mission time is reduced to 25%. Missions with an "All day" time limit are unaffected.

NOISE REAPER PM

HNI_0023.jpg

You are a Noise Reaper! Under orders from the Conductor, the 2 of you (__________) have infiltrated the Game disguised as players to make sure that none of them survive the week.

-Each day, you may PM me to summon Noise. The Noise has a 5:10 chance of Erasing a random non-Reaper player, a 4:10 chance of doing nothing, and a 1:10 chance of Erasing a Reaper player (excluding yourself).

CONDUCTOR PM

HNI_0023.jpg

You are the Conductor! After betting on the outcome of this game with the Composer, he has agreed to step aside and let you run this game in his stead. In order to ensure the outcome you want, you've secretly joined the Game yourself. You will do anything it takes to win this Game, including Erasing the Composer himself.

-You scan as a generic Reaper to almost everyone.
    -Your vote for the GM counts as 5x the normal vote.
    -Each day you may PM me to EITHER Scan 1 player OR Erase 1 player.

Your Win Condition: Erase the Composer, Erase the Proxy, and survive until the Game ends.

PRODUCER PM

HNI_0023.jpg

You are the Producer! You've seen the destruction wrought on the Underground by the Composer and Conductor's constant fueding, and fear that it will soon tear Shibuya apart. You've joined the Game unbeknownst to either of them, determined to prevent the Conductor from winning this Game and usurping the Composer's power.

-Each day you may PM me to BOTH Scan 2 players AND Erase 1 player.

Your Win Condition: You, the Composer, and the Proxy all survive until the Game ends.

GM PM
    Congratulations! The payers have elected you as today's Game Master. In addition to any abilities you already possess, this position grants you the following:

-During your time as GM, you can only be Erased by the Composer, the Conductor, or the Producer.
    -If you're a Reaper (i.e. If your Role PM had a red pin) you can PM me to Erase up to 2 players. This does not reset if you are elected GM again.

You are also responsible for posting daily Missions for players to complete! The Mission can be posted at any time prior to 1 hour before vote close. If the Mission is not posted by this time, you and 3 random non-Reaper players will be Erased. You cannot complete the Mission yourself.

Today's Mission (copy & paste into thread)

Green on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Even if we had been masoned, we couldn't have used our voting block to get someone elected GM. the 4 regular reapers ability only counted for the red vote. With 4 of us alive, each of our votes counted as 4. With 3 alive, our votes counted for 3, etc.

Sticks on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also with the amount of seers there were, we'd only have gotten someone GM for one day at the cost of one of us.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The unmasoned mafia wasn't a bad thing in itself but when combined with no real mafia kill we had utterly no chance.

If the vote manipulation was meant to be useful, why make us unmasoned since now the vote manip group can't really steer anything because they don't know who anyone is.

Not to mention, we weren't told that we'd gain anything from the GM spot, only hints from the thread.

You mention that we should of have removed the GMs in power? How? The only people who had targetted kills weren't even directly aligned with us.

The game was a good idea and you ran it very well but i'm having a hard time seeing how it could ever be envisioned as balanced.

I might have been influenced by the way SE++ games usually went, as that was my main source of experience when 99% of the game mechanics were written

Green on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There was every reason to trust Egos.

He saved our asses by making sure the GM missions were at opportune times and we were prepared for them with subtle hints.
    And him calling The Producer's kill on Mr. Big Bad Reaper Infidel.

Yeah, the number 1 thing (besides that there were way too many seers making networking ridiculously easy) that unbalanced the game was that Egos was way too freaking helpful as a GM. I asked/suggested as such on the 2nd day that there should have been consequences for helping out the village as such.

I vaguely remember one of the characters in the game getting erased for helping the players?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png