As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread derailed by train puns

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You played Dark Messiah yet?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just re-installed San Andreas days ago and after some messing abotu with Xpadder to get the 360 pad to play nice, it's incredibly awesome. I would definitely recommend it, despite being pretty old now. There's also Mafia. I know they're not quite in the same category as B:AA but they're as close as I could think of. Also Just Cause 2 but that won't run. Unless you get the first one which I thought was awesome but everyone else disagreed.

Oh and the Max Payne games, they ought to work.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Well i've always wondered if the demo was misleading compared to the real game. I've just not had the time/money to find out.

Some day find the time and $$. I've never before beaten a game and immediately restarted on the harder difficulty just because I wanted to play it again. And the harder difficulty actually makes the game better and makes you feel more like Batman.

I can't stress enough how much I fucking loved that game. And if you have an NVIDIA card that can support Physx it just makes the game look that much better. Man I wish I had an NVIDIA card. :(

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Tried the demo of B:AA when it first came out and I wasn't impressed by it at all. Got a more in depth play of it during a games conference. To me it just seemed to be a run of the mill corridor action game. Felt very linear and uninteresting.

I could be wrong >_>

That's probably the wrongest thing I read all month.

Oh, and the PC version is really, really good.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, and the PC version is really, really good.

Yeah, the PC version has cape physics, guys. Cape physics.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played AA a little, and it seems good, but not being able to change the key bindings is pretty annoying. I just can't adjust to WASD.

-1 port point for Rocksteady.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LewieP wrote: »

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic doesn't get anywhere near the love it deserves. It has the best first person hand to hand combat of any game I've ever played. Kicking orcs into spikes and off ledges is pure gaming nirvana.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played AA a little, and it seems good, but not being able to change the key bindings is pretty annoying. I just can't adjust to WASD.

I'm absolutely sure you can change them in a text file.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Even though people have said how great the KBAM controls are in Arkham Asylum, I prefered to use my trusty wired 360 controller.

That game is definitely one of my favorites from the past few years. Got it on PC first, did everything, then got it on my 360 and did everything again.

SteevL on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Because of my aforementioned older computer, I can't run Batman AA. Is there an older game with a similar play style on the PC? Every once in a while I want to play an action beat-em-up (Or whatever genre you'd call it), and this is one of those times.

It's in First Person, but Zeno Clash is a good brawler. Probably the only game I've felt has done first person brawling well, instead of kind of a mess which is what most games achieve when they try for first person melee. Would be worth checking out the demo.

It's also a Source engine game, and really bizarre. Like really really bizarre.

subedii on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A good bizarre, though. Interestingly alien, but it ends kind of...weirdly.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You change the controls in the launcher. Sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it is actually there. Unlike in Dead Rising 2.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A good bizarre, though. Interestingly alien, but it ends kind of...weirdly.

It starts and middles kind of weirdly as well.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    IdolNinja wrote: »

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic doesn't get anywhere near the love it deserves. It has the best first person hand to hand combat of any game I've ever played. Kicking orcs into spikes and off ledges is pure gaming nirvana.

I think it's let down by eventually having an over-reliance on traditional combat, and terrifying/samey spider sections. But it's one of the few games I've played where the physics just feels incredibly meaty - kick a dark knight down the stairs and into a pile of barrels and you feel properly violent, like ploughing your dumptruck though someone's house in RF:G. And it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Numen: Contest of Heroes has very quiety dropped to £1.60. A third-person action RPG set in Ancient Greece, which totally hasn't been done before. A quick Google reveals mildly positive things about it, but little in the way of quality journalism.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

I think it's let down by eventually having an over-reliance on traditional combat, and terrifying/samey spider sections. But it's one of the few games I've played where the physics just feels incredibly meaty - kick a dark knight down the stairs and into a pile of barrels and you feel properly violent, like ploughing your dumptruck though someone's house in RF:G. And it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Numen: Contest of Heroes has very quiety dropped to £1.60. A third-person action RPG set in Ancient Greece, which totally hasn't been done before. A quick Google reveals mildly positive things about it, but little in the way of quality journalism.

I have heard absolutely TERRIBLE things concerning Numen, which is supported by its long time low price tag. I'd stay away, since it'll be a blight on your games list.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Because of my aforementioned older computer, I can't run Batman AA. Is there an older game with a similar play style on the PC? Every once in a while I want to play an action beat-em-up (Or whatever genre you'd call it), and this is one of those times.

What are your specs?

AMD 3700, 2GB RAM and a Geforce 9600.

It can run Source engine games fine, basically, but starts to struggle with engines later than that.

Edit: I should point out that I'm not particularly infatuated with Devil May Cry.

Y'know, the system requirements on Steam list a SM3 NVidia 6600 card, which is quite a bit older than your Geforce 9600, isn't it? You might want to grab the demo, crank the graphics settings down a bit, and see how it runs.

Frem on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My issue with Dark Messiah are it's blatently predictable plot and it's over-reliance on fliping spiked walls EVERYWHERE ("The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks" indeed). Also, I wouldn't call the combat meaty. Enemies don't seem to have enough weight when you kick them for it to be meaty. It feels like you're kicking a literal ragdoll.

Still a great game though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Even though people have said how great the KBAM controls are in Arkham Asylum, I prefered to use my trusty wired 360 controller.

That game is definitely one of my favorites from the past few years. Got it on PC first, did everything, then got it on my 360 and did everything again.

Pfft. I got you beat.

I bought Bioshock for the PC day1. Beat it on Normal, then Hard. Then picked it up on the 360, beat it on Normal then Hard. THEN I bought it on PS3, Hard then bought the DLC and beat that. :P

Got my money's worth, that's for sure. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Pfft. I got you beat.

I bought Bioshock for the PC day1. Beat it on Normal, then Hard. Then picked it up on the 360, beat it on Normal then Hard. THEN I bought it on PS3, Hard then bought the DLC and beat that. :P

Played Batman twice on the 360 and then once on the PS3 and now again on the PC for the fourth time, this time going in straight with hard mode. You know you've played alot of the game when you can read the lines before the characters.

In the beginning I'm trapped in the little area where Zsasz is doing his thing and as Batman walks toward the vent I actually said "Harley thinks she has me trapped in here".

Also, I'm running everything on high/maximum with the exception of the AA, that's on 2 right now and causing a bit of stutter so I'll probably take it off completely. My gpu is a Radeon 5570hd (low profile card) and cpu is a AMD 5600+ 2.9ghz. That's a medium to shitty machine and it does damn well with B:AA.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My issue with Dark Messiah are it's blatently predictable plot and it's over-reliance on fliping spiked walls EVERYWHERE ("The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks" indeed). Also, I wouldn't call the combat meaty. Enemies don't seem to have enough weight when you kick them for it to be meaty. It feels like you're kicking a literal ragdoll.

All of these things you're saying that you don't like about the game are the reasons why I do like the game.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I would consider Zeno Clash to be the superior first person melee game, but Dark Messiah is definitely the best that has swords in it. And magic. And hybrid RPG mechanics. And greatness such that everyone should play it at least once.

I want to jump on this Batman deal. I do. And normally I would. But amazing releases are so dense right now and I'm already spending more than I probably should. And I don't know when I'd actually go back and play it, given that I've already beaten it on hard and would probably boot up my 360 copy to finish challenge rooms before I would do a full replay.

Monger on
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Picked up The Polynomial after watching the giantbomb quick look, does the game run incredibly slow for anyone else? I'm getting 2 frames a second on my decent (read: most games on max settings) pc.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Pfft. I got you beat.

So did 2K, ba-dum kish!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Since you brought up Rise of the Argonauts, I just have to pop in and say how fucking awesome that game was. There were large sections of dialog, though, and some people disliked the game because of those long breaks between action. Since I felt the characters and story were so interesting, that didn't bother me at all.

I want a sequel from them but since the game didn't do well I suppose that will never happen.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You can play it that way if you want, but it's not required.

Here's my fondest memory of the game:

I was playing a priest. I saw a group of orcs around the bend there. I decided to mind control one of them. He attacks his buddies, who get pissed and then it's a big bru-haha. I'm grinning feeling like a genius and then they accidentally knock down the wall they're fighting under and they ALL die.

It was so beautiful that I was stunned. I didn't even know you could knock down the wall.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

Since you brought up Rise of the Argonauts, I just have to pop in and say how fucking awesome that game was. There were large sections of dialog, though, and some people disliked the game because of those long breaks between action. Since I felt the characters and story were so interesting, that didn't bother me at all.

I want a sequel from them but since the game didn't do well I suppose that will never happen.

Yes! I actually completed it last week (after having picked it up for £2 in the Summer sales, hooray for the backlog), and was astounded at the level of characterisation and production values given all the negative press it had received. And it's a game all about conversation and exploration - fights are only tossed in for a bit of a break, really. In fact, despite being given a wealth of different special powers and weapons, it's entirely possible to get through everything barring boss battles by mashing heavy attack on the mace - but the appeal of watching people's heads dissolve in slow motion never really wanes.

As an undemanding adventure with a well-presented story (with surprisingly good voice-acting!), there's far worse things to spend £5 on right now. An Xbox controller made it much more comfortable for me though.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Since I just finished Deus Ex(sure took long enough), I'll probably indulge and get Batman tomorrow.

Gives me some time to finally start Bioshock.
    (Yeah, I'm eternally LTTP)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Since I just finished Deus Ex(sure took long enough), I'll probably indulge and get Batman tomorrow.

Gives me some time to finally start Bioshock.
    (Yeah, I'm eternally LTTP)

Yeah but they're the best parties without doubt.

Also RE; Risen criticism.
    All of the negative stuff was down to the 360 version. Sadly most places tend to just review a single format version and label the other format editions with the same shitty score. I know Eurogamer were pretty much dragged back to their computers and forced to re-visit the game on the PC for a proper review that would do the game justice. They still gave it a 6.

But yeah, 360 version is boo and PC version is YAY!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the tip about B:AA's controls chaps! Not sure how I missed that one.

As for Dark Messiah - I have nothing but good memories of the game, mainly because it has so many elements, that are well crafted: The varied weapons, the tricky but satisfying combat, the decent physics, interesting story, set-pieces, beautiful environments (the cliffside one springs to mind)...
    The downside is that I can't get it to work on my PC, it's a bit buggy.

Finally, I also enjoyed Rise of the Argonauts. Although I understand the criticism. It wasn't particularly memorable.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I did start Bioshock, first time ever.

This is basically System Shock 3. no doubt. So many throwbacks.

Re: Big Daddies -

D:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So I did start Bioshock, first time ever.

This is basically System Shock 3. no doubt. So many throwbacks.

Re: Big Daddies -

D:

They're only scary until A) You find some electrical ammo or B) (Not really a story spoiler but gameplay experience):
    Death has no penalty. Just throw yourself at it with a wrench or something for a few lives.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    UK Only

CIV V

£2.35

Confirmed working. Legit, and from a trusted retailer.

You pay them the money, and they give you a code to plug into Steam.

GO GO GO

http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/10/23/civilization-v-pc-2-35/

LewieP on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    UK only :(.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wut?!? Does that work in the US?

e: fuuhh.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've just tried to buy another to see if I could pass codes on, but it looks like you can only buy one per account, and I only have one card that I can pay with, so I can't set up another account. Sorry guys.

LewieP on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hopefully it's a sign that Civ 5 might get a radical price cut during the holiday sale or something.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's more likely that the keys are from China or around there

I think Valve started invalidating super cheap game keys purchased this way

tofu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's actually from Ztorm (it said so when I registered it), who are a Nordic digital distribution firm.

EU law would make it illegal for Valve to block serials bought from one EU country and used in another, so I think it's pretty safe.

LewieP on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    It's more likely that the keys are from China or around there

I think Valve started invalidating super cheap game keys purchased this way

Yup. Expect these to stop working.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's actually from Ztorm (it said so when I registered it), who are a Nordic digital distribution firm.

EU law would make it illegal for Valve to block serials bought from one EU country and used in another, so I think it's pretty safe.

Last I checked America wasnt in the EU

Buttcleft on
This discussion has been closed.