As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: The Emperor Strikes Back!

1545556575860»

• Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Stilts wrote: »
    Also, 1:1 sentries will beat mutas. I think 1 sentry might even beat two mutas.

Really?

If that's true, it'd be pretty great. Build Sentries to counter the Mutas, then spend the excess minerals on Zealots to protect the Sentries from Lings.

I really wouldn't mass sentries. One or two with you Stalkers is better as dumping that much gas is a waste when you need HTs and Colossi to deal with the other mass of crap.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'm not saying mass sentries, just saying they are good against Mutas. I think stalker/sentry mix will overall be better in pretty much all situations.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's a replay I knocked out this morning before work

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/95915-1v1-terran-protoss-jungle-basin

Things I already know I did wrong from watching it

1. Should have rebuilt my natural quicker after it was destroyed.
    2. Floated a lot of minerals for a substantial portion of the game, could have sustained higher zealot production out of 1 or 2 more gates
    3. Was extremely slow transferring workers when my natural was rebuilt.

Things I did that I like

1. Lots of observers, and had one of the watch towers nearly the entire game. Gave me great map awareness, I saw a lot of things coming before they did anything.

2. I knew I was behind after I lost my natural as I guessed he'd build his own, so I threw down a third expansion at the same time to claw back ahead. I think it worked.

3. I had a lot more workers than him the entire game.

If I missed anything I'd love some constructive criticism.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A single sentry loses to a single muta, let alone two.

You need to be ahead in upgrades and have guardian shield up to beat mutas for cost (in gas, which is what limits you with these units) with sentries. Larger numbers of mutas will hit and run, making sentries alone a very poor choice (which makes sense—after all, they're not a primary combat unit).

Before the sentry nerf they could defeat mutas for cost right out of the box.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Something a lot of Protoss players forget is that Zealots, as well as tanking a lot of damage and being able to close gaps very quickly once upgraded to chargelots, can do a fuckload of damage with +1 or +2 weapons.

If a zerg player has a ton of mutas, sometimes you can be better off building a few sentries at home to discourage the mutas (oftentimes Zerg are very timid with their mutas and won't engage even if they could beat the defending units) and send 20-30 zealots into his base. If they're chargelots nothing can kite them and if they're upgraded a bit they'll melt buildings. Even if he pulls his mutas back you an do a lot of damage before the Zealots go down because they're so tanky.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A single sentry loses to a single muta, let alone two.

You need to be ahead in upgrades and have guardian shield up to beat mutas for cost (in gas, which is what limits you with these units) with sentries. Larger numbers of mutas will hit and run, making sentries alone a very poor choice (which makes sense—after all, they're not a primary combat unit).

Before the sentry nerf they could defeat mutas for cost right out of the box.

Yeah, maybe I'm mixing up my knowledge with the way things were back in beta.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was playing a 111 into fast cloaked banshees openeing and getting killed in most games. I hit a 3 game losing streak and said "Fuckit, i'm going mmm". I then won the next 5 games in a row.
    The zerg I just played had complete map contol, had 5 bases to my 2 and i still steam rolled him. wtf??
    I'll post the replay if anyone's interested, it's nice to win but...why do I feel so dirty?

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was playing a 111 into fast cloaked banshees openeing and getting killed in most games. I hit a 3 game losing streak and said "Fuckit, i'm going mmm". I then won the next 5 games in a row.
    The zerg I just played had complete map contol, had 5 bases to my 2 and i still steam rolled him. wtf??
    I'll post the replay if anyone's interested, it's nice to win but...why do I feel so dirty?

What league are you in? MMM is very very strong against players who are not experienced.

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Gold league, oh and the zerg was "slightly favoured".

chuckleberryfinn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

What was the zerg player doing?

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a few +1 gas free zealots and some force fields is all you need for the lings. mutaling is definitely not the best strat against toss.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here's the replay, any comments would be welcome.

chuckleberryfinn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Muriden wrote: »

What was the zerg player doing?

Not making banelings. :)

chuckleberryfinn on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There has been discussin in the Diablo 3 thread about bnet and rather than further derail that thread, I wanted to vent here...

Is Blizzard going to change custom game lobbies? The way it is set up is horrible. Like, why can't I make my own room and title it something like "Terran looking for protoss" or something like that. Or at least give the guy hosting the lobby the ability to kick. That way I can at least ask for them to play a specific race or else I'll kick them. Right now, if you want a particular matchup you can ask, but if they don't change, you have to logout and log back in and repeat or just settle for a game you don't feel like playing. Seriously, there are a million ways they could address this, but I haven't heard that they even consider it an issue.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Goddamn, BOTP:
    Olorin wrote: »
    There has been discussin in the Diablo 3 thread about bnet and rather than further derail that thread, I wanted to vent here...

Is Blizzard going to change custom game lobbies? The way it is set up is horrible. Like, why can't I make my own room and title it something like "Terran looking for protoss" or something like that. Or at least give the guy hosting the lobby the ability to kick. That way I can at least ask for them to play a specific race or else I'll kick them. Right now, if you want a particular matchup you can ask, but if they don't change, you have to logout and log back in and repeat or just settle for a game you don't feel like playing. Seriously, there are a million ways they could address this, but I haven't heard that they even consider it an issue.

I can't be the only one who wants this...

Maratastik on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goddamn, BOTP:

If you want to play against a zerg just tell me where and when... well I know where, so just tell me when.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Goddamn, BOTP:

If you want to play against a zerg just tell me where and when... well I know where, so just tell me when.

Unfortunately, it's usually zerg I'm trying to avoid...:P

I just don't enjoy the matchup.

Though I will certainly let you know if I'm ever itching for it...

Maratastik on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Goddamn, BOTP:

Unfortunately, it's usually zerg I'm trying to avoid...:P

I just don't enjoy the matchup.

Though I will certainly let you know if I'm ever itching for it...

If you need a Terran, I need a Protoss. Bulwark.955.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beating zerg just seems much easier overall. I think it's because I can easily break the game into "stuff I can do better" and "stuff he can do better", which shifts it into more strategy and less execution.

I do pretty well against zerg and about average against terran, but I get smashed whenever I run into another toss.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    a few +1 gas free zealots and some force fields is all you need for the lings. mutaling is definitely not the best strat against toss.

Roach/Hydra/Corruptor all day everyday

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is Terran dead or something because Ive only seen like one Terran in the past 20 games or so, with 10+ of those games being zerg.

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so do you think day9 is starting an hour early or going an hour longer

ps it's almost page 97 someone steal the thread from mnc dover

Jars on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so do you think day9 is starting an hour early or going an hour longer

ps it's almost page 97 someone steal the thread from mnc dover

And if you do, call it, "Starcraft 2: Brought to you by the number J"

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Starcraft J: J Days to Destruction

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Stilts wrote: »
    Vicktor wrote: »
    use the whitera strategy. stalkers beat mutas for cost so go kill their fucking base if they build up a bunch of them
    This.

I was watching that game, and even the commentors were like: wow those are alot of mutas, not much can stop 4-base muta once it gets going. Now the Zerg has a critical mass of mutas and can take out the gold expan... wait... Oh, or Protoss can send a billion stalkers into the zerg base and destroy the disorganized attempt to defend.

To be fair, there was some very nice blink micro and focus firing going on by Whitera there. I'd have to look more closely, but it was so one-sided that I suspect the mutas weren't being microed well. But I don't know (they're hard to micro against stalkers because of the range difference, chasing down hurt stalkers means you take free hits, so I don't know what the best micro tactic is in that situation).

And if you can get a few Sentries in there, even better. Guardian Shield significantly cuts the damage of the Mutas' bounce attacks.

Muta attack is 9-3-1, GS makes it 7-1-0. Sentries are way underrated against mutas.

in bw, you could never bring an attack down to zero. it would always do at least 1 damage. did they change this in sc2?

Ketherial on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Something I learned playing funay monday is that you can get a pair of cloaked ghosts behind your opponent's mineral line really early with a kinda wacky build order. Considering that ghosts 2 hit probes and protoss get screwed if they don't have detection when cloaked things show up, it might be a pretty viable strategy against them in a 1v1. Maybe not, I dunno, but it's an interesting thought.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    Trus wrote: »
    Name for the new thread: Don't you put it in your mouth

- important advice for Werra recruits

Too soon.

On the internet it is NEVER too soon.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    McSnuggles wrote: »
    Is Terran dead or something because Ive only seen like one Terran in the past 20 games or so, with 10+ of those games being zerg.

that could be a number of things. chance? maybe the game is avoiding mirrors? not sure

of course, its highly likely alot of people are overreacting to changes ("WHAT?! My whole strategy HINGED on medivac acceleration!!!!!!!!"). No one plays zangief on sf4 online anymore after they fiddled with his stupid good spammy move, so this could be similar. I haven't played recently enough to notice

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    repimg-33-160644.jpg

Wow, Thors + SCV = I beat you?

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    repimg-33-160644.jpg

Wow, Thors + SCV = I beat you?

AnalGrinder is an acceptable BNet name?

Topia on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you can't beat em, report their inappropriate name.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Analgrinder makes me think of like...a butt hoagie.

Ass sub.

Rectal footlong.

3cl1ps3 on