As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play FEAR Perseus Mandate - Set 6 7 8 - Update time!

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Let's Play Fear Perseus Mandate

77262247.jpg

The last one of the three original FEAR games. If you have ever played any of the others, you should know exactly what to expect here:

Ninjas
Scary girlys
Super shotguns
Horrible Jump Scares

Good stuff!

This will be played blind (to maximise the scares) so as usual, I have no idea whats coming up.

On with the videos!

Videos

Set 1
Set 2 - Use your zappy gun
Set 3 - Shrooms!
Set 4 - We love giant robots
Set 5 - Earth shattering kabooms
Set 6 - Foot lovers
Set 7 - Oh, Hello
Set 8 - More FE less AR

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This should be good.
    If I may suggest something: Don't ditch the pistols for anything else than grenade launchers or rocket launchers (or lasers, lasers are cool). They're pretty good in F.E.A.R., and we like to see some Matrix-style-FPSing :P

valgomir on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's no shotgun like the F.E.A.R. shotgun. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I'll give my advance condolences to you on the horrible and gruesome deaths that your two team mates will no doubt suffer before this LP is done.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You complained about the subtitles, and the funny thing is, They're so small, because your resolution is so HIGH. I have to knock the resolution down alot to get the game running without a HORRID framerate, and the subtitles are fine for me.

I like to call your teammates Steve Blum and Ensign Expendable. Mostly just because I enjoy giving silly names to things that are going to die.

About the weapons. I didn't quite like the grenade launcher. The properties of the grenades it fires seem almost IDENTICAL to normal grenades, so other than the fact that you can carry more, it didn't seem that much better. Of course, I might just be crazy. The advanced Rifle, on the other hand, is amazing.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    heenato wrote: »
    You complained about the subtitles, and the funny thing is, They're so small, because your resolution is so HIGH. I have to knock the resolution down alot to get the game running without a HORRID framerate, and the subtitles are fine for me.

I like to call your teammates Steve Blum and Ensign Expendable. Mostly just because I enjoy giving silly names to things that are going to die.

About the weapons. I didn't quite like the grenade launcher. The properties of the grenades it fires seem almost IDENTICAL to normal grenades, so other than the fact that you can carry more, it didn't seem that much better. Of course, I might just be crazy. The advanced Rifle, on the other hand, is amazing.

Ah right yeah, that makes the most sense.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh... I was somehow under the impression that you'd said that you were done with the FEAR franchise. Maybe it was just FEAR 2, I don't remember.

Regardless, good to see you back so soon Helloween! :D

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

Ah right yeah, that makes the most sense.

On the other hand, if you keep the grenade launcher, it is essentially more fun times.

For us.

Not for you.

What with the whole blowing yourself up thing.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, I had my suspicions, but up until now, the only evidence I had was those giant railings in set or two. But now, after playing up to where Helloween is again, I found enough evidence.

fearmanthemidgetresizeresize.png?t=1288561977

FPS Moses is a very tiny man.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy fuck, all of a sudden a new Helloween LP with not one but two sets pops up in here?

Fuck yes!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Helloween... I had a copy waiting for you. :(

Brilliantly cheesy isn't it? :D

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Helloween... I had a copy waiting for you. :(

Brilliantly cheesy isn't it? :D

Its fantastically cheesey :D

I'll do another set today folks, had to go and watch the 49ers win (!!!) last night at wembly. Good times.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, Helloween... with all this F.E.A.R., you gotta play FEAR2 and FEAR Reborn as well. You know you want it even if Klyka did it :winky:

Yogo on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think he's already stated that he doesn't want to play FEAR 2, somewhere at some point.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think one of the main reasons is that it would be BORING. He's already PLAYED FEAR 2.

He wouldn't be scared of anything.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WTF Helloween, this only came out like 3 years ago. You have to wait at least 5 years before LPing something. :<

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think one of the main reasons is that it would be BORING. He's already PLAYED FEAR 2.

He wouldn't be scared of anything.

I feel it should be more from a completionist POV that he should play FEAR 2 and Reborn. Not because he would be scared.

Yogo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hell and me keep saying it every time but here it is again: If you want to see "Helloween's" FEAR2 LP, watch mine. It's his copy of the game with me playing it and I got the "Helloween Slag Sign of Approval" for it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    WTF Helloween, this only came out like 3 years ago. You have to wait at least 5 years before LPing something. :<

oh noes D: I am the worst.

It'll be uploaded around 2am gmt.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If everyone's so dead set on a British man LPing F.E.A.R 2 rather then watching Klyka's which is pretty good, look up ThatEnglishDude's F.E.A.R 2 LP from last year, it's also pretty good.

I'm cool with Helloween doing other games, as much as I would probably really enjoy him doing number 2. Besides, we should really be poking him to do F.E.A.R 3 when it comes out.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just hope that FEAR 3 brings back a GOOD shotgun instead of FEAR 2's.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just hope that FEAR 3 brings back a GOOD shotgun instead of FEAR 2's.

FEAR 2 did have a bad one AND a good one, didn't it?

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Im freakin out man D;

Set 3 - Shrooms!

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Those magic men who can DODGE SHOTGUN BLASTS AT POINT BLANK are hands down the most ANNOYING enemy in this game, at least to me. True story, when I first played this game, almost EVERY TIME I fought those guys, I died multiple times.

That and that choke point there with the turrets. My strategy for that is lob all my grenades in there, and then pick off the stragglers.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ahh, another FEAR title, aka "You're fucked, you're fucked too, you are double-fucked, you only survive because you're nowhere near all this, those chopper guys might as well crash now and save everyone time..."

But goddamn is the shotty one of the best game guns ever made. Anyhoo, good stuff so far Hello. Checking out set 3 now :D

Edit: "It's hard being FPS Moses. Sometimes you actually have to do stuff!" Hello, you still got it :^:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No need to feel sorry for not paying attention to the storyline... it's not cannon so I guess I now else did either.

Honestly perseus mandate was probably my least favorite section of the series. It felt like a un-original retread with few scares and the few it had were either retreads themselves or were out of place with no built tension.

But enjoy your shrooms. Great sets so far.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    No need to feel sorry for not paying attention to the storyline... it's not cannon so I guess I now else did either.

Honestly perseus mandate was probably my least favorite section of the series. It felt like a un-original retread with few scares and the few it had were either retreads themselves or were out of place with no built tension.

Damn shrooms, wrecking all my scares.

But yeah, it really feels like a 'by the numbers' game so far.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    MahoneMahone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I enjoyed the Amnesia reference when non-descript "too old for this shit" captain was bossing you around. Good stuff.

Mahone on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    npc.EXE wrote: »

Damn shrooms, wrecking all my scares.

But yeah, it really feels like a 'by the numbers' game so far.

It's funny that the characters said 'It looks like we have a unique situation on our hands', when you were walking into the armacham building.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is Alma even in Perseus Mandate?

And yeah, this was regarded as the worst expansion. I liked the first one though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

And yeah, this was regarded as the worst expansion. I liked the first one though.

She's in the last bit of Helloween's 3rd set of the game, briefly. So far, it's been pretty quiet though.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

She's in the last bit of Helloween's 3rd set of the game, briefly. So far, it's been pretty quiet though.

Nah, that was just a coat rack with a red hoodie on it.

Also, following Helloween's LPs is like some unholy ritual now. I can't freaking stop.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wasn't that laser rifle (Well, hell, maybe both of them, both the zappy gun and the lightning-in-your-face gun) from FEAR 2? Or was it from the first game? It's been a long time since I watched Hell's playthrough and I've seen Klyka's LP, so I'm kind of getting them confused in my head, maybe.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fear 2 might've used a similar, or maybe the same gun. Though, the laser rifle wasn't in the original, it's one of the weapons added to the expansion, I believe. Not sure about the lightning zappy gun though.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The lightning zappy gun is definitely in the original FEAR. It was one of my favorite weapons, in spite of its limited ammo.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, I don't think it actually is. Everything I'm looking at says the lightning gun was only perseus mandate.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the type-7 particle weapon, AKA the multicultural skeleton maker?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Set 4 - We love giant robots
    Chicks dig giant robots

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We enjoy all sorts of robots here. Yes we do.
    METAL GEAR <3

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was HOPING you'd get to there this set. See, when I was playing through this again, I got to the part where those people are talking. Then when I turned around, I saw....this.
    monitorscanFLYresize.png
    THE MONITORS CAN FLY
    (Like I said, it's of a part we've already seen, so it's safe for looking at)

It was rather traumatizing at the time. Also: I got the best graphical bugs. Shame I didn't get any more.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm kinda surprised that Helloween's squad-mates haven't been pureed by Alma.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised that Helloween's squad-mates haven't been pureed Alma.

She doesn't seem that bothered with us this time eh

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There was so much hilarity in this set, I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to list all the moments that made me laugh.
    This was the best set in a long time; I actually couldn't stop laughing for those 25+ minutes. Thanks for that :D

valgomir on