As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yep. I use it for work. Its great for those occasions where someone sends you a file that you stow somewhere then cant aven remember what it was called, let alone where you put it.

Given that I occasionally let others use my MBP - I dont use it at home, as I cant be bothered to set it up to not check any areas that I want to keep private.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I picked up a shiny new iMac last night. A modest 17 inches, but I'll be picking up a DVI-MiniDVI adapter for my 20" Cinema Display tonight after work.... sooooo much real estate, it's awesome.

I can't believe the difference the Radeon makes; it's like the first time I got a Voodoo card back in the day. Other than WoW, what games could I be playing on this?

Antishow on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Antishow wrote: »
    I picked up a shiny new iMac last night. A modest 17 inches, but I'll be picking up a DVI-MiniDVI adapter for my 20" Cinema Display tonight after work.... sooooo much real estate, it's awesome.

I can't believe the difference the Radeon makes; it's like the first time I got a Voodoo card back in the day. Other than WoW, what games could I be playing on this?

Bootcamp it (if that doesn't offend you) and you can play almost whatever you want. Other than that, you'll have the few titles that make it mac... Call of duty etc...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Haha... well it does offend me...

But not getting Half-Life 2? That's just mortifying.

When my Windows partition gets a virus... will that affect the mac side?

Antishow on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Haha... well it does offend me...

But not getting Half-Life 2? That's just mortifying.

Not unless it is a very hardcore virus.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just bought a black Macbook today (the 2.0GHz one is 350CAD cheaper because there's a 2.16GHz now). Took me 20 minutes to use my wireless network... which was rather disconcerting. The 'Assistant' didn't ask me for the WEP key and stuff and so it wouldn't connect. Eventually I found the place to put in the WEP key by luck. I dunno, I didn't find that very impressive.

Also, I'm used to just tapping on the touchpad to singleclick or doubleclick (instead of pressing on the button), how do I do that with the Macbook?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    Just bought a black Macbook today (the 2.0GHz one is 350CAD cheaper because there's a 2.16GHz now). Took me 20 minutes to use my wireless network... which was rather disconcerting. The 'Assistant' didn't ask me for the WEP key and stuff and so it wouldn't connect. Eventually I found the place to put in the WEP key by luck. I dunno, I didn't find that very impressive.

Also, I'm used to just tapping on the touchpad to singleclick or doubleclick (instead of pressing on the button), how do I do that with the Macbook?

It's under Apple (top left) -> System preferences -> mouse.
    keep in mind if you have questions wondering where other settings are, system preferences has a search.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I love the trackpad. Period. I have it set for two finger scrolling, and two finger right click, which makes everything a breeze. Sometimes I'll find myself using the trackpad for a few minutes before realizing I have a mouse that I can plugin. I just might ditch the mouse if I could use Expose and two finger scrolling, which I believe is not possible right now. Right now, the only reason why I use a mouse at all is because I have the extra buttons set to Expose, and I like to play Starcraft, :p

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited May 2007

It's under Apple (top left) -> System preferences -> mouse.
    keep in mind if you have questions wondering where other settings are, system preferences has a search.

Cool, thanks

Zoolander on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I must say: Google Desktop kicks Spotlights ass so hard.

except all your files are belong to google.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    oh, and macs own. Got my first one in October. Haven't found a single thing that I've missed from my windows machine. They just work.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    I love the trackpad. Period. I have it set for two finger scrolling, and two finger right click, which makes everything a breeze. Sometimes I'll find myself using the trackpad for a few minutes before realizing I have a mouse that I can plugin. I just might ditch the mouse if I could use Expose and two finger scrolling, which I believe is not possible right now. Right now, the only reason why I use a mouse at all is because I have the extra buttons set to Expose, and I like to play Starcraft, :p

You can use Expose with the trackpad if you want -- under System Preferences you can set it so that the display corners activate the Expose features.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Tossrock wrote: »

The Mac filesystem (HFS+) can't be read (let alone written) by Windows, so that would make this extra impossible.

Of course, if you have gone to extra trouble to install an HFS+ filesystem driver under Windows then what I just said does not apply to you.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fristle wrote: »

The Mac filesystem (HFS+) can't be read (let alone written) by Windows, so that would make this extra impossible.

Of course, if you have gone to extra trouble to install an HFS+ filesystem driver under Windows then what I just said does not apply to you.

Even then I'm pretty sure there isn't a virus in the wild that does this, and doubt there's even anything boiling away in someones lab.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    So, the other day - I'm preparing these photos I took to email them to a few people. I'm manually resizing them, being careful not to overwrite the originals etc. Then I read something about this "Automator" app that I've been meaning to explore. About 4 minute later, I now have the facility to right click on any image and have the option to resize them to a predefined size automatically.

No fuss, no muss. And here I was clicking away like a chump for over a year....

If you use iPhoto (if you don't, it's cool, it was a while before I learned to stop caring about things like directory structure and embrace the iLife apps), it can email resized versions of photos with a couple of clicks, without changing the original file or requiring you to create new down-sized temporary versions (which you then just have to delete when you're done).

It's also possible to do image manipulation with Quicksilver, for those times when even an Automator script is too much bother. 8-)

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

You can use Expose with the trackpad if you want -- under System Preferences you can set it so that the display corners activate the Expose features.

Ack, I wasn't clear, I already do have the corners assigned. There was a program that allowed you to assign the physical corners on the trackpad to Expose, so you could just move your finger to the top left, and have it go to Desktop for example. The problem was that it disabled 2 finger scrolling

lordswing on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    real virii don't write themselves to other machines. They exploit holes in programs running on other operating systems to get their code executed, which then doesn't need to know how the machine writes to its file system as the OS takes care of that for them.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Ack, I wasn't clear, I already do have the corners assigned. There was a program that allowed you to assign the physical corners on the trackpad to Expose, so you could just move your finger to the top left, and have it go to Desktop for example. The problem was that it disabled 2 finger scrolling

Wait, what? What did this program do that the hot corners doesn't? I have expose set up on the powerbook as follows: top left, Dashboard; bottom left, all windows; top right, app windows; btm right, desktop. My powerbook does two finger scrolling just fine, too, with the hot corners enabled. Is this not what you want to do?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It sounds like his program is set to work with the corners of the trackpad, as opposed to the corners of the display.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    It sounds like his program is set to work with the corners of the trackpad, as opposed to the corners of the display.

lordswing on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm posting at random from the Apple Store in Birmingham, AL. Testing out the Macbook (13" 2Ghz/1GB/80GB HDD) that I'm comtemplating getting for college.

I like the weight, the screen, the keyboard. I'd have to get used to Ctrl+/Apple+ again, since I haven't had a Mac in a good year or two. I'd probably walk out with this, the three year AppleCare and a bluetooth mouse.

I think I'm in love.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw Photo Drop on TUAW the other day and have found it to be very badass. You can drop a picture into it from the Finder and apply some cool little edits with it. It can apply cool effects like this with one button:
    pee.pngmoulin-rouge.png

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the video card or logic board or something for my Dad's iBook has burnt out. How much would it take to replace/fix it if his Applecare has expired?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I think the video card or logic board or something for my Dad's iBook has burnt out. How much would it take to replace/fix it if his Applecare has expired?

Most of the logic boards we buy (although it varies depending on model) are about $380.
    edit: You might want to check with Apple. I thought there was an iBook version of the problem they had with eMacs, something they fixed at cost or simply replaced with a new Intel iMac. Check the serial numbers on their site.

Just did a quick google and found that the extension on those iBooks is, more than likely, over. However...I found a dude who fixed his logic board/video problems in a most badass way.
    http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is there a cheaper alternative to Apple's mini DVI-VGA adapter? I've looked at monoprice, but couldn't find anything.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

Most of the logic boards we buy (although it varies depending on model) are about $380.
    edit: You might want to check with Apple. I thought there was an iBook version of the problem they had with eMacs, something they fixed at cost or simply replaced with a new Intel iMac. Check the serial numbers on their site.

Just did a quick google and found that the extension on those iBooks is, more than likely, over. However...I found a dude who fixed his logic board/video problems in a most badass way.
    I actually got my hands on the iBook today. From what I can tell, I don't think its a logic board issue. Instead of corrupted or strange video, I'm getting no video at all. Nothing on the screen whatsoever.

Any diagnoses?

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wonder if this should be its own thread or not, but what games do you guys have?

I ask, because Mac has about 1% the amount of games the PC has, and of that 1%, about 1% in turn is of commercial quality or actually playable.

Here's what I have in my Games folder:

Break Quest
    Cave Story
    Enigmo 2
    Frenzic
    Pangea Arcade
    Swarm Racer
    Tetris Zone
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    World of Warcraft

Not many (or any) hidden gems there, really... anyone know of any?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Most anything Ambrosia Software makes is worth a look.

But the reason I got a Mac again was to play games under Windows.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Where did you get it for 350 less than the latest model?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

I actually got my hands on the iBook today. From what I can tell, I don't think its a logic board issue. Instead of corrupted or strange video, I'm getting no video at all. Nothing on the screen whatsoever.

Any diagnoses?

Check out the link with the iBook on Fire. That is the exact problem.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Any diagnoses?

Check out the link with the iBook on Fire. That is the exact problem.

I'm off to find candles! 380 dollars is a tad too much.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    I wonder if this should be its own thread or not, but what games do you guys have?

I ask, because Mac has about 1% the amount of games the PC has, and of that 1%, about 1% in turn is of commercial quality or actually playable.

Break Quest
    Cave Story
    Enigmo 2
    Frenzic
    Pangea Arcade
    Swarm Racer
    Tetris Zone
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    World of Warcraft

-Call of duty 1 and 2.
    -All the Blizzard games of course: WC3, Starcraft, Diablo.
    -Homeworld 2 (it's a crime that the first Homeworld wasn't ported to the Mac. And no, I don't have an Intel Mac so I can't boot into Windows).
    -Age of Empires series, including III.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fallout2, though it'd probably be difficult to find nowadays. And Civ of course.

Antishow on
  • Options
    DolbyDigitalDolbyDigital Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got a pretty shitty surprise this morning when I opened up iTunes to play some music while I worked...

...all my mp3 are belong to ______.

iTunes could not find any of my MP3s. ANY OF THEM. I was like, WTF??? So I went to the iTunes music folder and ALL OF MY MP3s ARE GONE! Files, folders, EVERYTHING. WitF!?!?!?

Anybody had this happen? I checked the Trash, and did a search for ".mp3" and it didnt find any of them.

I did not delete them myself, as a) i am not an idiot, and b) my Trash is still full of other stuff...

I checked the permissions, and it says that I can read and write, and that the owner is <my profle name> and the group was "<my domain\domain users>" with read and write access. I changed that to admin, but nothing changed.

(i am on a corporate windows network on a macbookpro C2D)

thanks.

DolbyDigital on
    XBOX Live: xSUPERBUCKx (formerly BuckySuperJew - MS made me change it)
    PSN: BuckySuperJew

Spoiler'd GamerCards
    xSUPERBUCKx.pngcard5.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    oldmanken wrote: »

Where did you get it for 350 less than the latest model?
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10082616&catid=23016

Looks like this (and the English version) is sold out though.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    eobet wrote: »

Break Quest
    Cave Story
    Enigmo 2
    Frenzic
    Pangea Arcade
    Swarm Racer
    Tetris Zone
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    World of Warcraft

Ambrosia. Unfortunately all their best games are for OS 9, or not UB...

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got a pretty shitty surprise this morning when I opened up iTunes to play some music while I worked...

...all my mp3 are belong to ______.

iTunes could not find any of my MP3s. ANY OF THEM. I was like, WTF??? So I went to the iTunes music folder and ALL OF MY MP3s ARE GONE! Files, folders, EVERYTHING. WitF!?!?!?

Anybody had this happen? I checked the Trash, and did a search for ".mp3" and it didnt find any of them.

I did not delete them myself, as a) i am not an idiot, and b) my Trash is still full of other stuff...

I checked the permissions, and it says that I can read and write, and that the owner is <my profle name> and the group was "<my domain\domain users>" with read and write access. I changed that to admin, but nothing changed.

(i am on a corporate windows network on a macbookpro C2D)

thanks.

just a guess, but maybe IT deleted them.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Even then I'm pretty sure there isn't a virus in the wild that does this, and doubt there's even anything boiling away in someones lab.

I wouldn't count that out.

I'm sure there's a company somewhere that's trying to crack OSX.

Even if the difference is minimal, they would like the extra money.

Now if it's possible or not, I don't know. I doubt it, but I'm sure at least someone is trying.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So my Windows XP PC has a 250GB harddrive filled with a bunch of videos and stuff. How do I access that on my Macbook over the home wireless network? There's a router in the way.

Right now I'm thinking I have to get a FileZilla FTP server running on my PC and access that from the macbook, am I right?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So my Windows XP PC has a 250GB harddrive filled with a bunch of videos and stuff. How do I access that on my Macbook over the home wireless network? There's a router in the way.

Right now I'm thinking I have to get a FileZilla FTP server running on my PC and access that from the macbook, am I right?

you should be able to connect to windows shares from your macbook. Just share the files and you can mount the shares in OS X

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.