Options

Activision's GoldenEye: James Bond Will Return (on PS3 & 360)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2010
    You can't beat it on 00 agent without hitting Xenia. It's impossible.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can't beat it on 00 agent without hitting Xenia. It's impossible.

Tube on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man I quickly double checked by youtubing control... and it brings back memories of how much I hated the non-silenced d5k. Wish you could get the phantom on a mission other than frigate :(

Frigate was probably my most replayed level. I used to run through it with invis and all weapons and had a progression down that netted me over 100% accuracy. I spent days on that level perfecting that run.

I was at a cousin's place for my grandparents' 50th anniversary and they were having a load of trouble with unlocking Infinite Ammo. They asked me to do it because I managed it on my own cart. I managed to get it done on the first try rather easily and all mouths in the room were on the floor.

I had to use a load of Gameshark cheats to unlock the two hidden levels and some of the cheats. Stuff like explosions not doing damage, bulletproof Bond, etc. I don't know if I would have ever managed unlocking the stuff otherwise.

My main gripe playing Goldeneye now are the controls. I'm so used to dual stick controls now that Goldeneye's controls feel incredibly awkward. PD XBLA fixed this, and now the game is as fun as I remember it being. If the original got updated controls I'd be all over it.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    According to noted video game person Jeff Gerstmann, who got a hands-on demo complete with some split screen multiplayer, this new Goldeneye game is pretty good, but it is pretty much a literal copy of Call of Duty with James Bond in it, at least in the way it controls and the way it handles persistence in online multiplayer

Depending on how cynical you are there are a number of ways to interpret this:
    • It's a blatant cashgrab from the Company To Hate this year, taking an old beloved license and filtering it through one of their most popular franchises
    • It's the only way to bring Goldeneye into the modern day and still expect it to sell well to people who have never played Goldeneye
    • It's a boring Call of Duty clone while the original Goldeneye pushed shooters on consoles forward, and the lack of innovation is a sign of stagnation within the genre
    • It's pretty good, so really what does it matter
    • Oddjob throws his hat instead of grenades

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Um. Invincibility is definitely the hardest, seeing as it relies on a Dr. Jerkass spawning in the right place.

Hm. I seem to almost be able to recall his name, but it's just slightly eluding me.

edit: Doak. AKA Dope, Dork.

Imo invincibility was all about tricks. And it was short, so very spammable.

Control, on the other hand, was wayyy more frustrating (even if not actually "harder").

also, if you controlled goldeneye properly (d-pad to move, analogue stick to look) it was way easier.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    According to noted video game person Jeff Gerstmann, who got a hands-on demo complete with some split screen multiplayer, this new Goldeneye game is pretty good, but it is pretty much a literal copy of Call of Duty with James Bond in it, at least in the way it controls and the way it handles persistence in online multiplayer

Depending on how cynical you are there are a number of ways to interpret this:
    • It's a blatant cashgrab from the Company To Hate this year, taking an old beloved license and filtering it through one of their most popular franchises
    • It's the only way to bring Goldeneye into the modern day and still expect it to sell well to people who have never played Goldeneye
    • It's a boring Call of Duty clone while the original Goldeneye pushed shooters on consoles forward, and the lack of innovation is a sign of stagnation within the genre
    • It's pretty good, so really what does it matter
    • Oddjob throws his hat instead of grenades

Yeah QoS was also a CoD4 clone. It used the same engine but still. I think in online multi it was a combo of CoD4 and Counter-Strike where you gained levels but you had to purchase new weapons and mods at given unlock level.

Still think its lame they are doing this and wish they'd go for a more original adventure.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It was more like CoD and Gears of War because of the cover system. It even had the facility, so that should be good news for this one.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For those who reserve the game at walmart.com
    thumbgoldeneyegwpwalmar.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    For those who reserve the game at walmart.com
    thumbgoldeneyegwpwalmar.jpg
    Cute. Very cute. You can't very well say that nowadays, though, what with actual working controls for aiming and looking.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oddjob now only wears the hat, so you don't want to look down.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some new stuff on this game. It wasn't really on my radar but I have to say it's starting to look up a bit.

Giantbomb Quick Look. They seem to enjoy it. Shows a lot of game modes and customization. (Paintball, sticky bombs, headshots only, invisibility...)

Gamesradar article extolling the virtues of this game.
    For once, we don’t have to put in the dreaded back-handed compliment of looking good for Nintendo’s little white box. The production values in the game are almost up there with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Built on a revised Dead Space: Extraction engine, GoldenEye’s moody lighting, superb character models and impressive particle effects (wooh!), really separate it from the vast majority of Wii titles.

Bunch of new screens.
    screenshot_33010.jpg
    screenshot_33009.jpg
    screenshot_33008.jpg
    screenshot_33007.jpg
    screenshot_33006.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004844047_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004845235_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004846235_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004847328_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004848609_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004849750_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20101006004851000_640w.jpg
    goldeneye-007-20100913100150593_640w.jpg

Screens as usual don't show what it looks like very well, lots of new single player videos here.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Bond Craig change is dandy but losing Sean Bean is really really wrong in this. So weird.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well Sean Bean wasn't that present in the original, there was no voice acting after all.

Tube on
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Near as I could tell, this is the only GoldenEye thread for Wii...

Doesn't this come out today? Anyone checked it out?

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm picking it up after I vote in the morning. Apparently reviews are on lock down till afternoon.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    I'm picking it up after I vote in the morning. Apparently reviews are on lock down till afternoon.

This is not usually a good indicator of quality, in my experience.... :(

EDIT: Having briefly played some of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition, I was impressed by how well implemented the "hardcore game feel" translated to the Wii adaptation. I've realy not been much for first-person shooters (I usually get my trash kicked by others in them), but GoldenEye brings back fond memories, and I understand "GE-make" (has that been coined yet?) borrows a lot of modern FPS conventions from the Call of Duty: MW installments. I would like to check it out, but I'm looking forward to seeing the review scores (likely 6's and 7's, I'm guessing) before investing.

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

This is not usually a good indicator of quality, in my experience.... :(

Lock down until launch day? I don't know, that's not too bad. Plus every preview has been overwhelmingly positive, I don't think they anticipate it getting poor reviews.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When has a game preview from your typical videogaming channels ever been negative, though? I'm not saying the game is going to be bad or anything, but I've never seen any videogame previews that weren't positive or gushing, or at the very least optimistic.

But the game may actually be good, hell if I know.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm talking more along the lines of the Giantbomb Quick Look. Compare it to other Quick Looks and you'll see why it looks like this one's decent. A bunch of their previews have shown games that are underwhelming, if not embarrassing, and you just don't get that vibe here.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Still ranking this as "cautiously optimistic". The multiplayer Quick Look video shows that Eurocom still has great respect for the single-console multiplayer that made the original so great, and the gameplay videos are looking pretty darn good. Hopefully when the reviews are available the overall picture will become clearer.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm talking more along the lines of the Giantbomb Quick Look. Compare it to other Quick Looks and you'll see why it looks like this one's decent. A bunch of their previews have shown games that are underwhelming, if not embarrassing, and you just don't get that vibe here.

It was a little awkward when they went "Oh man, we have to go Facility, that's THE classic goldeneye map!" and then when they got in it was a map that bore absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to facility.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

It was a little awkward when they went "Oh man, we have to go Facility, that's THE classic goldeneye map!" and then when they got in it was a map that bore absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to facility.

Yeah, that was basically nonsense

There wasn't even a bathroom

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2010

There better be a bathroom somewhere on some map. That was the best part.

Also are they allowed to use the old maps?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

There better be a bathroom somewhere on some map. That was the best part.

Also are they allowed to use the old maps?

I seem to recall an interview or a preview (or maybe just fan speculation based on what HAS been said) stating they couldn't use them verbatim, and that was why they're all modified as much as they are. I get the feeling that they're trying to get it as close to Rare's original as possible without a potential lawsuit (Klobb renamed Klebb, for example--although, since there's a Bond character named Klebb, that worked out conveniently for them).

UPDATE: Game Informer.com's Review (at least, the score, anyway): http://gameinformer.com/games/goldeneye_007/b/wii/default.aspx ....aaaaaand it's a 6.5!
    (Thanks to Mockingbird on NeoGAF)

DOUBLE-UPDATE! IGN Review, much more positive: http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1131501p1.html They gave it a 9.0.

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    6.5 from Gameinformer.com: Pointer controls are horrid, play with classic controller.

9.0 from IGN Nintendo: Pointer controls are amazing and are the best way to play the game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is this Wii exclusive?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    For 360 James?

No, For Wii.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is this Wii exclusive?

For the consoles, yes. But there's also a DS version (no word yet on its quality, though).

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "007 Classic Mode" sounds like it'll be a blast - a wonderfully sadistic, skill-testing blast. Nice to see they added that little touch.
    For 360 James?

No, For Wii
    :lol::^:

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh god, it's going to be one of those

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    burnbombburnbomb Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    According to Gameinformer, GE cannot compare to "modern shooters". Only those shooters are probably on other systems...not on the Wii.

burnbomb on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually I fully expect Game Informer to be the outlier on Metacritic.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I hope you're right on this, UncleSporky. If it's roughly as good as Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition, I'll be pleased...even if it is barely related to the N64 source material.

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I hope you're right on this, UncleSporky. If it's roughly as good as Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition, I'll be pleased...even if it is barely related to the N64 source material.

I'm actually glad they didn't stick that close to the source material (which is probably because they actually couldn't). Sounds like they put a lot of effort into making it a decent game on its own, and they're also using the name for nostalgia purposes.

I don't mean to be so superlative about it, I don't even know if I'm going to buy it. I just think it's looked pretty good so far, I like what the devs have done with the property.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Haven't played online yet but single player is a blast. So being stealthy actually helps.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For 360 James?

No, For Wii.

Lame and also bad

(The fact that it's exclusive, not your post)

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm waiting on my review copy to arrive, I'll def post impressions when I get around to doing everything for the day.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I can't believe that anyone is surprised at a Goldeneye remake being a Nintendo exclusive.

Tube on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just hope they've updated the gameplay. Goldeneye's gameplay is so bad now.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's not a remake in the normal video game way. It's a completely new game based on the movie...if the movie came out today and had the modern bond in it.

It's done by Eurocom who have previous Bond experience and uses roughly the same engine and has roughly the same game play as Call of Duty:MW REFLEX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_yhlHOzp78

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsVLRUcGhE

Xenogears of Bore on