As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to remember a particular game (I think it was an RPG) where if you beat a guy at the end, he beats up the final boss for you. Maybe it was a Dragon Quest game, I keep thinking it is, but I'm not sure.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That reminded me of the Odin and Seifer battle in FFVIII.
    You beat Odin earlier in the game and the Seipher kills him...and then he becomes Gilgamesh and takes out Seifer.

Rinder on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay so I know there's a PBWT event going on in Demon's Souls until the end of the month

But I'll be damned if I can get Boletarian Palace to go pure black, here

Is there a trick? I've already beaten Phalanx, it's one step up from Black, I wanna go down there and get brushwood armor damnit!

Ledneh on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not working for everyone. It's buggy. And if it goes PBWT, you'll be up against Black Phantom Miralda.

Good luck with that!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to remember a particular game (I think it was an RPG) where if you beat a guy at the end, he beats up the final boss for you. Maybe it was a Dragon Quest game, I keep thinking it is, but I'm not sure.

Dragon Quest VI. Beat the optional bonus boss and he goes and does that. It's hilarious.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pata wrote:

Dragon Quest VI. Beat the optional bonus boss and he goes and does that. It's hilarious.

If/when they remake DQ6, I hope they keep that in.

EDIT: Turns out they did remake it, let's hope they translate it.

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Persona 2 Innocent Sin remake for the PSP.

Most excellent. Maybe we'll get a port of it this time. Atlus USA is all about milking the Persona cow these days. And the Persona remake on the PSP did fairly well from what I can remember.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I'm playing Nier now. It's alright so far. I'm about 3 hours in. The music is excellent.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So how come in Nocturne Chakra Drops just fall off the face of the earth about the time you reach Mantra HQ

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So how come in Nocturne Chakra Drops just fall off the face of the earth about the time you reach Mantra HQ

Get Mana restore skills ASAP. They will always be scarce.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cj_iwakura <~ We're playing Persona 3 FES now if anyone wants to see it in action.

Spoilers, yo. (November)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What demons generally have those skills? I'm in Ikebukuro, headed back to Ginza.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There's a Magatama that teaches Life Drain, that's the best start. Eventually you get better ones like Mana Refill and such.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    At this point I would almost say I'm digging Nier. I've not traveled very far from the start point but the combat is pretty fun. The story is pretty....decent.

It's better then I expected it to be.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    have you got to the point where you can equip spears and two-handed swords?

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    gurusloth wrote: »
    have you got to the point where you can equip spears and two-handed swords?

No I have not. I just learned to fish.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The gameplay keeps improving along the way, same with the plot.

The music never fails. Make sure you do the sidequest with the two sisters' duet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kinda losing enthusiasm for Nocturne

I picked up P3 FES with some trade ins and also got God Hand on the cheap. It's hard to go from God Hand to Nocturne

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's a love or hate kind of game. If you have a moment, I can show you something from my file on the stream.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Careful Zombiemambo...

ackbar.gif

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The hell?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nier is turning into a pretty good example of a game that was unfairly given pretty bad reviews. It's a good game. I'm not sure what everyone's problem with it was.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    there's some janky parts in it, animations and such, also a lot of grinding for materials I could have done without (fuck you Phoenix weapons), but I think it's a better game than the reviews gave it credit for.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    that's what happened to God Hand, which just so happens to be the best game of all time

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are apparently a lot of people (including game media types) who hate God Hand or at least don't think it's good, which is almost impossible for me to believe. It was so good, so good.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    There are apparently a lot of people (including game media types) who hate God Hand or at least don't think it's good, which is almost impossible for me to believe. It was so good, so good.

Oh there are tons. It got a 3 from IGN, I believe. Still, it's metascore is in the low 70's so somebody at least thought it was ok

they're all wrong though, because God Hand is a mighty fine game

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nier is turning into a pretty good example of a game that was unfairly given pretty bad reviews. It's a good game. I'm not sure what everyone's problem with it was.

It was goofy.

The voice acting, the animations, the main characters. All goofy, and I couldn't take it seriously, and I didn't want to play it.

That was my problem with it.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can tell this game is Japanese because you can drift while riding a fucking boar.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I tried god hand for about 30 minutes and couldn't make head or tails of the controls, and kept getting my ass stomped. I put it back on the shelf until I could devote some time and patience to it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I tried god hand for about 30 minutes and couldn't make head or tails of the controls, and kept getting my ass stomped. I put it back on the shelf until I could devote some time and patience to it.

It has tank controls - pressing up moves you forward in the pointed direction and backwards moves you back. left and right pivot. L1 is a 180 degree turn. If you've played RE4, it's identical.

there are basically two sets of fighting controls - the square button has your combo mapped out (which is fully customizable) and the other "set" consists of triangle, back + triangle, X, back + X, and back + square (also customizable). R1 activates the God Roulette; you are given a set amount of time to move through the list of moves (by tapping R1) and select one. God Roulette moves require 1-3 Roulette Orbs that are acquired via cards that drop from destructibles. R2 activates the God Hand when the God Hand meter is full. L2 is taunt, which if done correctly adds to the God Hand meter.

it sounds complicated but it's really not. Give it 10 to 20 minutes and you should be fine.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I swear I remember seeing a review where the reviewer thought the game itself was okay, its just that he found the gay stereotype badguys so incredibly offensive he had to lower the score.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I swear I remember seeing a review where the reviewer thought the game itself was okay, its just that he found the gay stereotype badguys so incredibly offensive he had to lower the score.

the gay stereotype bad guys are my favorite characters in the game

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My secret shame:

I own FFVIII, FFXII, Chrono Cross, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest VIII and have never finished any of them.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never finished FFV or DQ7, in both cases I got obsessive about leveling every job and eventually forgot what to do next and quit playing.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    IpseDixit wrote:
    My secret shame:

I own FFVIII, FFXII, Chrono Cross, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest VIII and have never finished any of them.

I am swamped by unfinished (and in many cases) completely unplayed RPGs.
    FFVII (just outside Junon)
    Chrono Trigger (17 hours in)
    Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King (saw the king)
    Star Ocean Second Evolution (just recruited Ashton)
    Drakengard 2 (did the first mission thing)
    FFX-2 (going for bad ending)
    Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
    Rogue Galaxy (saved just before first boss)
    Shadow Hearts From The New World
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
    Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
    Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
    Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
    Breath of Fire III
    Tales of Eternia (played about an hour of it)
    Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World
    Final Fantasy II
    Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
    Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (grinding)
    Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (played some, forgot where I was)
    Tales of Vesperia
    Eternal Sonata
    Lost Odyssey
    Blue Dragon
    Nier
    Resonance of Fate
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
    Magical Starsign (almost to the end)
    Contact (saved before big rock guy)
    Infinite Space
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    that's
    a lot of video games

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have so many steam games to play

so many

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My journey to complete Nocturne continues

I've finally gotten to the point where the demons are becoming more interesting

instead of little pixies and floaty paper thingies, I've got Baphomet and the Japanese god of war

how cool is that

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone tell me how much I have left in Chrono Trigger?
    'm just now in the Surviving Village. Crono. :(

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you can choose to beat the game now or do a bunch of side quests, power up and beat the game later

Franko on