As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop Buying Advice (also hate)

InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
So, my sister is getting a new laptop as a present, and it falls to me as the nearest technically competent person to pick out the damn thing.

The budget is £800, and the requirements, in descending order of importance, are:
1) Must be pretty
2) 17" screen with a decent resolution
3) As future proof as possible

£800 seems like way too much for a laptop to me, but fuck it, these unchangable edicts have been handed down from on high. What is really pissing me off though, is that the best laptop I can find for the money is a goddamn Dell.

I don't know if Dell are still generally despised, but I haven't liked the fuckers ever since I tried to replace a power supply and graphics card on one of their old desktops. But I digress. Anyone know of a good alternative to this offering from the masters of lies?

gBpkw.jpg
Insanity on

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ziggymon on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll second a VAIO; they seem to be pretty future-resistant. I bought mine 2 yrs ago with a Core2Duo 2.26, 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8), Blu-Ray, discrete graphics and a 500GB HDD. Can't say I have any problems with it running any applications I put on it today

It may not output 1080p to the screen, but it does via HDMI (and I think the new ones do 1080p to the screen)

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Good find on the Vaio =)

Looking at benchmarks it seems like a pretty significant performance hit on both the CPU and GPU, but it's much prettier. Definitely a viable alternative, thanks muchly.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How sure are you that a 17" screen is absolutely necessary?

Unless its going to sit on a desk almost all the time it'll be a pain to carry around that weight and size of a laptop, also keep in mind that bigger screens drain batteries a lot faster.

I don't know how experienced you/your sister/your parents/whoever made the decision that it needed to be 17" is with laptops, but I find a lot of people go 17" for their first laptop, and then want something smaller for their second.

EDIT: But if you do decide to go 17", that vaio is a great option.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    She has a 17" currently, it gets used for playing movies/TV pretty much daily. That said, she does complain about the weight and the short battery life, but I can't get her to connect the dots =P

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    17 inches is way too much. Convince her to go down to a 14 inch.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425