Options

2010 Midterms AKA The Crying Game and lame ducks

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Religious belief and politics have never been wholly separate entities.

Hell, the church used to be the only political game in town.

Thats not what I'm saying though, only that religion in and of itself does not have a place in the political spectrum
    Religion as a concept does not, no.

But holding to the tenets of any given religion does a very good job of defining believers politically.

In either direction, and not reliably in one.
    It varies by denomination, yes.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Religion is a huge part of politics therefor it is part of any decent political spectrum. You cannot separate religion from politics with the possible exception of deism or whatever.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Religious belief and politics have never been wholly separate entities.

Hell, the church used to be the only political game in town.

Thats not what I'm saying though, only that religion in and of itself does not have a place in the political spectrum
    Religion as a concept does not, no.

But holding to the tenets of any given religion does a very good job of defining believers politically.

In either direction, and not reliably in one.
    It varies by denomination, yes.

So if some people interpret liberal positions form their religion and some conservative then we can't say that the basic idea of religion itself has a position in the political spectrum.

And hell, it differs even within denominations. My grandparents, old fashioned catholics, cite their religion as motivation for their 50 years campaigning for democrats in California and championing liberal causes. My grandmothers sister refused to attend her daughter's wedding because she wore a sleeveless dress.

Fun fact actually, my grandfather drove Robert Kennedy to the event he was assassinated at.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Various Religions hold views that place them along an ideological spectrum. Or at least, those denominations prioritize their beliefs in such a way that they become politically predictable.

But that doesn't place religion as a whole on the spectrum at some point, nor does it bar individual believers from breaking step with their fellow churchgoers.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Various Religions hold views that place them along an ideological spectrum. Or at least, those denominations prioritize their beliefs in such a way that they become politically predictable.

But that doesn't place religion as a whole on the spectrum at some point, nor does it bar individual believers from breaking step with their fellow churchgoers.

Just like how plenty of people break with the general category even if they consider themselves conservative, Republican, etc. General categories are just general categories.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Are we still arguing about anything at this point?

Because we all just seem to be restating each other.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are we still arguing about anything at this point?

Because we all just seem to be restating each other.

D&Ds been slow today.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Agreed.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The really disappointing thing with the whole (overgeneralized) "Christians are right wing" thing is that the whole welfare, healthcare, collective action, money corrupts message of Christ seems to have been completely brushed under the rug in favor of all the most hateful stuff from the old testament.

This is one of the reasons I quit identifying as a Christian. Not that I ever really was, mind you. It was just an easy shorthand for the morals I'd picked up and the mythology I knew.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    The really disappointing thing with the whole (overgeneralized) "Christians are right wing" thing is that the whole welfare, healthcare, collective action, money corrupts message of Christ seems to have been completely brushed under the rug in favor of all the most hateful stuff from the old testament.

This is one of the reasons I quit identifying as a Christian. Not that I ever really was, mind you. It was just an easy shorthand for the morals I'd picked up and the mythology I knew.

I think a lot of it is just the most hateful and vitriolic right wing Christians are dominating the message for the rest of the country.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's helped along by the fact that the more conservative congregations tend to be the largest.

There are a lot more Baptists and Evangelicals than there are Lutherans.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2010
    A true "Christian Nation" would have the most kickass welfare, rehabilitation and healthcare systems in the world.

We also would have our political leaders having monthly sit-down dinners with moneylenders, prostitutes and criminals to find out how they have been wronged, and to forgive them their sins.

Oh shit...

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I guess it's worth pointing out that both Jimmy Carter and Al Gore are baptists.

Baptists with a strong charity and stewardship focus.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Martin Joel Erzinger will not be charged with a felony because "Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession," according to District Attorney Mark Hurlbert.
    That is an excellent reason to charge him with a felony or is running over a person and then fleeing the scene supposed to not have drastic consequences now?

Well, you see he has money. Lots of it. Therefore the rules are different for him.

Also, is there a profession where a felony conviction wouldn't have serious job implications?

Senator.

Tell that to Ted Stevens.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Martin Joel Erzinger will not be charged with a felony because "Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession," according to District Attorney Mark Hurlbert.
    That is an excellent reason to charge him with a felony or is running over a person and then fleeing the scene supposed to not have drastic consequences now?

Well, you see he has money. Lots of it. Therefore the rules are different for him.

Also, is there a profession where a felony conviction wouldn't have serious job implications?

Senator.

You guys barely voted him out!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to run for congress on a platform composed of slogans and sports metaphors just to see what happens.

MKR on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess it's worth pointing out that both Jimmy Carter and Al Gore are baptists.

Baptists with a strong charity and stewardship focus.

And, you know, a soul.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, Atlas Shrugged is not some kind of right wing Bible. Ayn Rand is just stupid and neither necessarily right wing or left wing. Moreover, a huge fucking group of Republicans, the religious right-wing, obviously are against that idea.

No, Randian ideas are pretty solidly right wing. And while the religious right and large groups of other right wingers may profess notions of inherent equality their actions and actual policy beliefs are something else entirely.

Randian ideas like there being no god are sooooooooooooooooooooooo right wing.

Every single other aspect of Randian philosophy is the cornerstone of right wing thinking in America today

Atlas has been pushed on Fox by the same people who sit and cry about war on Christmas and prayer in schools and "separation of church and state isn't in the constitution"

The reasoning? These people don't actually give a shit about Christianity. They are playing religious middle America like a goddamn fiddle. It's wrong to blame the victim here, I think, so I'm not angry at Christians over the state of affairs (except that they seem to have collectively forgotten that Jesus talked about tolerance and charity and how being excessively wealthy made it hard as hell to get into heaven), I'm angry at the conservative leaders for being frauds.

override367 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Single nitpick:

It was the simple fact of being rich that made it hard to get into heaven, it was the attitudes and lifestyle usually accompanied by huge amounts of wealth.

Continue...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Single nitpick:

It was the simple fact of being rich that made it hard to get into heaven, it was the attitudes and lifestyle usually accompanied by huge amounts of wealth.

Continue...
    I would disagree.

Christ was collectivist enough that the act of being wealthy while others went poor probably would have been called sinful.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Senator.

You guys barely voted him out!

He was probably the most popular politian, in regards to his homestate, in the entire US. And that felony STILL make him lose to a Democrat. That's no small feat, my good man.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, Atlas Shrugged is not some kind of right wing Bible. Ayn Rand is just stupid and neither necessarily right wing or left wing. Moreover, a huge fucking group of Republicans, the religious right-wing, obviously are against that idea.

No, Randian ideas are pretty solidly right wing. And while the religious right and large groups of other right wingers may profess notions of inherent equality their actions and actual policy beliefs are something else entirely.

Every single other aspect of Randian philosophy is the cornerstone of right wing thinking in America today

Atlas has been pushed on Fox by the same people who sit and cry about war on Christmas and prayer in schools and "separation of church and state isn't in the constitution"

The reasoning? These people don't actually give a shit about Christianity. They are playing religious middle America like a goddamn fiddle. It's wrong to blame the victim here, I think, so I'm not angry at Christians over the state of affairs (except that they seem to have collectively forgotten that Jesus talked about tolerance and charity and how being excessively wealthy made it hard as hell to get into heaven), I'm angry at the conservative leaders for being frauds.

Eh, not really. They didn't throw Christianity out. They threw out Rand's hatred of religion and kept the rest of her stuff because it lined up with what they wanted to believe. Plus, you know, Rand is basically Prosperity Theology minus God and they fucking LOVE their Prosperity Theology type shit.

The Right Wing in the US just added God back into Rand and called it a day.

shryke on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    shryke wrote: »

Eh, not really. They didn't throw Christianity out. They threw out Rand's hatred of religion and kept the rest of her stuff because it lined up with what they wanted to believe. Plus, you know, Rand is basically Prosperity Theology minus God and they fucking LOVE their Prosperity Theology type shit.

The Right Wing in the US just added God back into Rand and called it a day.

No I'm saying that the average right winger who is religious and a randian because they heard of it on Beck or something just hasn't read the book or is willfully ignorant. The leaders of the right wing who are champions of this, beck, hannity, etc - those guys know full well that Randian philosophy conflicts with Christian philosophy. In fact the two are almost polar opposites! They use Christianity/WWJD/etc whenever it's useful for their arguments, but they certainly aren't Christians themselves.

override367 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wow, it really has been slow today.... i'm not really sure what all i just read....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Famous people pick and choose points of philosophies to support in order to garner attention and increase their fame. Also to keep the low/middle class voting and working against their best interest.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like only 17% of voters cared about health care when voting. Behind the economy, party affiliation and individual candidates. And apparently a significant number of people that support the law decided it wasn't worth their time to vote. Which goes a long way in explaining why Democrats running away from their platform didn't really help their campaigns.

anable on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    anable wrote: »
    Looks like only 17% of voters cared about health care when voting. Behind the economy, party affiliation and individual candidates. And apparently a significant number of people that support the law decided it wasn't worth their time to vote. Which goes a long way in explaining why Democrats running away from their platform didn't really help their campaigns.

HCR was a fantastic bill to run on in general as long as you could frame it right.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

HCR was a fantastic bill to run on in general as long as you could frame it right.

And nobody could because they're all terrible at that.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

And nobody could because they're all terrible at that.

Its true.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I want to run for congress on a platform composed of slogans and sports metaphors just to see what happens.

A comedian in Denmark ran for parliament as a joke on a platform of putting nutella in soldiers field rations, wind in your back on the cycling paths and sunny sundays.

He got in.

Our soldiers did get the nutella though.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Evan Bayh and Kent Conrad are joining Pete Peterson in his usual quest to destroy social security. Bayh is irrelevant in two months except as a Fox News talking point (even liberal Democrats like Evan Bayh, who was among the socialist President's Vice Presidential finalists...) but Conrad is kind of important, being on the debt commission and the chairman of one of the various budget committees.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What liberal Democrat likes Evan Bayh?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm saying that's Fox News talking.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If the Democrats eviscerate Social Security I won't vote for them on the federal level.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why? You can't seriously think you'll ever draw Social Security can you?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Its emblematic of the party heading the wrong way.

I'm in rough agreement with Brian on this, and I've spent several years as a professional Democrat.

Social Security is the kind of thing we need to be moving towards, not away from.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

A comedian in Denmark ran for parliament as a joke on a platform of putting nutella in soldiers field rations, wind in your back on the cycling paths and sunny sundays.

He got in.

Our soldiers did get the nutella though.

The Internet was invented so I could learn this fact.

Its purpose is served.

Shut it down.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why? You can't seriously think you'll ever draw Social Security can you?

If you can read a damn actuarial chart you should expect to. The idea that social security is insolvent is the biggest lie in modern American politics.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the current incarnation is pretty much doomed to failure.

For good reason it doesn't really build up a "bank" of funds but because of that very lack of a bank it is going to be raped by the Boomers. Of course, when I say "It" I mean me and my contemporaries or else the debt is going to get flat out absurd.

Unless you can shoot every fucker who thinks "Starve the Beast" is good I don't see how to make the current system work.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SS isn't fucked.

Just remove the cap on income taxation and you're golden.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.