As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As long as it gives a wider view of the battle, that's fine.

What funny is, this comes right after an interview where they say Dragon Age lets you play in your face actiony and top down, pause-and-play strategically.

It's like their PR people don't actually know what's going on with the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    Dialogue wheel, a button to attack, and no overhead camera.

This is like Mass Effect all over again, guys.

Do you also have companions that fight with you? Can you choose different abilities?

Fuck it's like the same exact game.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how Kotaku's attempts to point how how "We're totally not changing it for the PC version Guys! Really!" were almost all points about what was streamlined to accommodate action sensibilities. Especially the overhead camera point :rotate:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    An isometric view makes it much easier to aim spells.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yep I'm curious how aiming the reticle across the room for things like fireball or blizzard will turn out now.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Really, I'd rather have a zoomed in isometric camera than a height limited free camera

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There aren't even spells in this one, guys.

You just mash X as fast as you can, and once you've hit it thirty times, everything dies.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Preordered and canceled.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

You just mash X as fast as you can, and once you've hit it thirty times, everything dies.

So it is Kingdom Hearts.

Edit: Am I the only person who thinks that crossbow looks really stupid?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Well maybe... maybe the lightning is mapped to X and you spam it to shoot out more bolts?
    Couscous wrote: »
    Edit: Am I the only person who thinks that crossbow looks really stupid?

Looks like a Swiss Army Bow to me.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    but guys:

The creators of the game want to ensure that each button press makes "something awesome happen."

sigh.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    GalactusGo wrote: »
    but guys:

The creators of the game want to ensure that each button press makes "something awesome happen."

sigh.
    11760047497063169.png

: the Game

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    but guys:

sigh.

Because awesome things suck and directly detract from the fun of the game.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That thing looks more like a harpoon gun than a crossbow to me. The character design definitely looks better than DA:O to me.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    That thing looks more like a harpoon gun than a crossbow to me. The character design definitely looks better than DA:O to me.

I just hope that the focus on pre-made NPCs doesn't too negatively effect the designs of "generic" NPCs like they do in ME

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    but guys:

sigh.
    I too hate for my games to be responsive and awesome.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

I just hope that the focus on pre-made NPCs doesn't too negatively effect the designs of "generic" NPCs like they do in ME

The generic NPC's thing is a problem for every RPG. The Witcher, Fallout, and DA:O all have very generic RPG's. I'm sure it won't be hard for you to use your imagination and suspend some of your disbelief. You seem to be able to do it with the main character's voice, so this should be a non-issue.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The generic NPC's thing is a problem for every RPG. The Witcher, Fallout, and DA:O all have very generic RPG's. I'm sure it won't be hard for you to use your imagination and suspend some of your disbelief. You seem to be able to do it with the main character's voice, so this should be a non-issue.

NPCs in DAO have faces generated in a very similar manner to the PC's facegen, as does FO for that matter. Non-combat model NPCs in ME are clayfaced monstrosities with clothes you can see the individual pixels of the textures

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I literally can't wait to play Dragon Effect.

Not even joking. Bwahahahaha.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If that's true I will honestly struggle to play this game without a top down view. The camera will have to zoom out a good two or three times as much as Origins to be functional for full party control.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010

NPCs in DAO have faces generated in a very similar manner to the PC's facegen, as does FO for that matter. Non-combat model NPCs in ME are clayfaced monstrosities with clothes you can see the individual pixels of the textures

What? Didn't the Mass Effect NPC's use the face gen as well? I remember it being less limited in scope but I never found the textures to be that bad.

finnith on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey guys, help me out with something:

I want to take advantage of the pre-order stuff for DA2 PC. However, I got DAO on Steam. If I buy a retail copy, will I be able to transfer my save from my Steam DA to DA2?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey guys, help me out with something:

I want to take advantage of the pre-order stuff for DA2 PC. However, I got DAO on Steam. If I buy a retail copy, will I be able to transfer my save from my Steam DA to DA2?

I'm pretty sure the saves are in My Documents no matter the version, and if not, you can always copy them wherever

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Saying that something awesome has to happen when you press a button is just stupid. A constant stream of "awesome" shit just results in another Michael Bay movie. The best shit has a nice crescendo as the shit is connected to other shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

What are you talking about, I speak out every line my character says.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    but guys:

sigh.
    I too hate for my games to be responsive and awesome.

I think that slowly stripping a beloved genre of its core gameplay elements to boost sales and broaden the audience is criminal. Well maybe not criminal but shitty. I enjoyed the hell out of Fable and I enjoyed the hell out of Mass Effect and I enjoyed the hell out of Dragon Age Origins. All for different reasons. I don't like the trend of homogenizing gameplay for mass appeal. Call me wacky but I don't want the same mechanics in every game I play. sad face.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I pressed thus one button, and my inventory reorganized itself, and I was like WOW.

And I pressed a couple more and I was able to adjust my party's combat tactics WHIZZZZZBANG.

That's what they mean, right?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This game still has stats right? ME2 was incredible the way they changed it, I really liked it. I should say though that I beat ME about 4 times and I only beat ME2 once, and started a second play through. I don't think it is bad that they are trying something new, to me The Elder Scrolls were always much better RPGs in that sense, these games always felt like an on the rail shooter compared to TES.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

What? Didn't the Mass Effect NPC's use the face gen as well? I remember it being less limited in scope but I never found the textures to be that bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Spoit/MassEffect22010-11-1717-54-00-58.gif
    Linked for size. Compare the face to even generic merc faces, and more importantly look at the shirt (which is not that noticeable in this particular shot since it's cut off by the bottom of the screen)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saying that something awesome has to happen when you press a button is just stupid. A constant stream of "awesome" shit just results in another Michael Bay movie. The best shit has a nice crescendo as the shit is connected to other shit.

Yeah but they are interested in pitching their game. A more honest comment would be "we're trying to make it so that when you hit buttons some cool stuff happens but the game is also functional."

That's not cool and that's not going to sell them copies. When somebody tells me that awesome shit will happen ON THE REGULAR when I hit buttons their game, they have my attention.

Can't fault them for trying to be good businessmen.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So have they confirmed how we transfer our character from the original DA: O into this? Can't wait to continue my character's adventures :D

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yeah but they are interested in pitching their game. A more honest comment would be "we're trying to make it so that when you hit buttons some cool stuff happens but the game is also functional."

That's not cool and that's not going to sell them copies. When somebody tells me that awesome shit will happen ON THE REGULAR when I hit buttons their game, they have my attention.

That sounds suspiciously like intelligent thinking and not frothing mass hysteria.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So have they confirmed how we transfer our character from the original DA: O into this? Can't wait to continue my character's adventures :D

You cannot.
    D:
    You play as Hawke in DA 2.

Maou on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maou wrote: »

You cannot.
    D:

BAD ENDERS

BAD

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

That sounds suspiciously like intelligent thinking and not frothing mass hysteria.

I guess when it comes out you and I can PM each other and talk about actually liking it?

hi5!

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not me. I'm gonna precancel my reorder.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Its not mass hysteria its love and respect for a genre. BG2 was changed a bit with NWN, then from NWN to NWN2 then NW2 to DA:O. I enjoyed the improvements and progressions from BG all the way to DA:O because at the heart of it the mechanics were true to the roots. I think DA2 will be a heck of a game, I loved MA2 and I'm sure DA2 will be awesome as well, its just that its not going to be what a lot of people have come to love. DA:O carried that old crpg torch into the next generation and its sad to see it getting extinguished in favour of mass appeal. I'll still buy it and play hell out of it and they will get my money but I'm still going to cry about it.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You cannot.
    D:

oh my...

ohmygod...

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You cannot.
    D:

oh my...

ohmygod...

This is not new. We have known this for a while. Like for as long as we have known about DA2 we have known about Hawke.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You cannot.
    D:

oh my...

ohmygod...

And there's another cancelled preorder.

stevemarks44 on