As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stephen Scott's [chat]ada

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    mass effect 3 vanguards will have a headbutt attack

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were some top tier voice actors in Fable 3. John Cleese, Simon Peg, Stephen Fry. And they actually used them. I'm always reminded of Fallout 3. Let's cast Liam Neeson and then give him like 2 dozen lines and have him vanish for the first half of the game.

300px-UrielSeptim.jpg

Ah, they have a history of this.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    From all the Turian lore in ME1 and ME2, the Turians seem to basically be The Roman Empire IN SPAAAACE.

If anything, outside the aesthetics they're more the British Empire, IN SPACE.

(the humans are America)

Leitner on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just realized... Mass Effect is Star Trek.

Except not nearly as retarded.

While I've been playing, I've basically decided that they should just retire the Star Trek franchise entirely and divert the resources into Mass Effect TV shows and movies.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Is Tracey Morgan and the blond chick the only actors on 30 Rock's TGS or do we just never get to look at the other cast?

For the first couple of Seasons, there's a third actor named Josh who does terrible impressions. He just... stops being a character on the show eventually.
    He gets fired I believe.
    There's an episode where he nearly leaves, but he ends up staying on the show. I don't recall an episode where he's explicitly fired.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One thing I did hate about ME2, and a lot of other Xbox 360 games for that matter, is just giving away achievements.

I'm not an achievement hunter, but I don't like them just handed to me either. I mean you get five points for "starting a new game" which is bullshit.

Gears of war, you got achievements for beating the specific chapters at all difficulty levels, and then everything else was ridiculous to farm online stuff or finding hidden secrets.

One playthrough in ME2 gave me roughly 75% of the achievements.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

less flute playing, more headbutting aliens

Shepard, Captain. Normandy. Stardate 33458.6

We've been assigned a mission on Luna, Home Earth's official closest moon. There's a form of distress signal coming from a base, and we're to discover the means behind it...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I liked earning the achievements after completing some loyalty mission or something

it felt right

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Feral wrote: »

While I've been playing, I've basically decided that they should just retire the Star Trek franchise entirely and divert the resources into Mass Effect TV shows and movies.

Oh God no. They'd fuck it up so bad.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    reapers = borg

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I liked earning the achievements after completing some loyalty mission or something

it felt right

I'm fine with that, it's a sidequest and a bonus, but getting an achievement for "reading the tutorial logs" is fucking stupid.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    One thing I did hate about ME2, and a lot of other Xbox 360 games for that matter, is just giving away achievements.

I'm not an achievement hunter, but I don't like them just handed to me either. I mean you get five points for "starting a new game" which is bullshit.

Gears of war, you got achievements for beating the specific chapters at all difficulty levels, and then everything else was ridiculous to farm online stuff or finding hidden secrets.

This might not be game designers' fault.

I remember Jonathon Blow talking about making Braid, and he had to fight Microsoft to let him make his game as he wanted it. It is SOP for Xbox Live Arcade that the first thing that pops up is the menu. Period. Regulation makes it so. He had a 'vision' for his game, and fought, and they let him do what he wanted, which was for the game to just start with the character in that silhouetted intro with the city on fire.

It would not surprise me if Microsoft mandated that there must be achievements attainable by just beating the game. Benchmarks, checkmarks, progress for anyone. It would make sense, part of their "Everyone is a winner!" "Everyone gets their fun!" bit.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    From all the Turian lore in ME1 and ME2, the Turians seem to basically be The Roman Empire IN SPAAAACE.

(the humans are America)

The humans are always America.

It'd be great if once the humans would be Scandinavian.

The galaxy would fear our fearsome mix of cold detachment and depression.

Everything would be running at optimum efficiency though, it'd be fantastic.

Daxon on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What I really want is to walk down to The Creperie and get garlic fries with decadent dipping sauces and a glass or two of red wine, but it's 11:34 so that feels inappropriate as a meal and I'd fall asleep an hour later.

Maybe I can do a light lunch and then do that as an early evening snack kinda thing.

desc on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Achievements are forced down developers' throats, it's hard to blame them for just throwing them in wherever.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

This might not be game designers' fault.

I remember Jonathon Blow talking about making Braid, and he had to fight Microsoft to let him make his game as he wanted it. It is SOP for Xbox Live Arcade that the first thing that pops up is the menu. Period. Regulation makes it so. He had a 'vision' for his game, and fought, and they let him do what he wanted, which was for the game to just start with the character in that silhouetted intro with the city on fire.

It would not surprise me if Microsoft mandated that there must be achievements attainable by just beating the game. Benchmarks, checkmarks, progress for anyone. It would make sense, part of their "Everyone is a winner!" "Everyone gets their fun!" bit.

I get that it's Microsoft, but it's invading more and more games and getting more and more ridiculous.

I mean, Alan Wake (which granted is an Xbox only platform) has an achievement that's only attainable by buying the limited edition version of the game. That's like grounds for a boycott if there ever was one.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I agree

ME2 cheapened those completely meaningless points

Elendil on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm racist against the inanimate.

I firmly believe that inanimate beings are inferior to me and that I am the master over them.

Sometimes when I get extremely frustrated or angry I take out my frustration with physical violence against the inanimate.

It's not even a crime. That should tell you something.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Oh, for sure. But it's interesting how one simple shift of perspective turns "side missions" into "episodic adventures."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mass Effect The Television Show: Season Three: Planet Scanning

Ep1. Scanning a Planet
    Ep2. Scanning the Planet
    Ep3. Still Scanning the Planet
    Ep4. Oops Damnit Fell Asleep for a Second There
    Ep5. Scanning the Planet

Galahad on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Faster 2 and a half stars from the ebert, pretty good rating for a movie that wouldn't appeal to him.

He does tend to be fair to movies that don't appeal to him and simply judge them on what he thinks the goals are. I kinda wanna read his review for why it got such a so-so score.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

it felt right

I'm fine with that, it's a sidequest and a bonus, but getting an achievement for "reading the tutorial logs" is fucking stupid.

the loyalty quests are really more mainquests than sidequests

but seeing that ding with some joke title related to the quest

it was beautiful

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

(the humans are America)

Maybe you guys should make some decent video games if you want to cast yourselves as the heroes...

I mean, I'd play it as long as it was translated into English.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Y'know, concerning the Reapers of the ME franchise:

(Major ME2 spoilers)
    This is not for you Feral, or anyone else who hasn't completed ME2
    They might not be all that super-evil or whatnot. I mean they appear to be some kind of AI built on the essence of organic species that have lived throughout millions of years in the galaxy. They just pop in every 50k or so years, see if there are any worthy races to be elevated to their status and join their community and annihilate everything that they deem a waste of organic time/something that'll peter out and die anyway.

Then they let everything restart.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, Gunnerkrigg has gotten kind of fucked up.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

Ep1. Scanning a Planet
    Ep2. Scanning the Planet
    Ep5. Scanning the Planet
    Are they scanning Namek yet.

Asharaxx on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If a Cowboy Bebop game was made, everyone would just bitch that the main story was too short, and all the developers did was spend too much time on "stupid fucking side missions."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I don't agree with this.

For one, Mass Effect is good.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    If a Cowboy Bebop game was made, everyone would just bitch that the main story was too short, and all the developers did was spend too much time on "stupid fucking side missions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop_(PlayStation_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop:_Tsuioku_no_Serenade

Sheep on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    This is on the front page of HuffPo.

Love this commercial.

"Opulence. I has it."

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/222198/thumbs/r-OPULENCE-huge.jpg

I was trying to figure out why in the fuck that couch looked so familiar

Then I realized I'd seen Jenna Haze get rogered on it

Wait, this image is funny and pleases me. What is it from? A commercial?

desc on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were some top tier voice actors in Fable 3. John Cleese, Simon Peg, Stephen Fry. And they actually used them. I'm always reminded of Fallout 3. Let's cast Liam Neeson and then give him like 2 dozen lines and have him vanish for the first half of the game.

I haven't met the character played by Stephen Fry in Fable III yet, but
    I loved him in Fable II.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

Ep1. Scanning a Planet
    Ep2. Scanning the Planet
    Ep5. Scanning the Planet

Ep6. Here Honey Can You Scan This Planet For Me While I Take A Break?

This may or may not have happened.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Y'know, concerning the Reapers of the ME franchise:

(Major ME2 spoilers)
    This is not for you Feral, or anyone else who hasn't completed ME2
    They might not be all that super-evil or whatnot. I mean they appear to be some kind of AI built on the essence of organic species that have lived throughout millions of years in the galaxy. They just pop in every 50k or so years, see if there are any worthy races to be elevated to their status and join their community and annihilate everything that they deem a waste of organic time/something that'll peter out and die anyway.

Then they let everything restart.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree.
    Bioware as a team always have a super evil. And considering that full on fucking Terminator at the end of ME2? I'm going to just call it for "Reapers are evil."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ugggggh

when is DK going to update the minecraft server

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

(the humans are America)

Maybe you guys should make some decent video games if you want to cast yourselves as the heroes...

I mean, I'd play it as long as it was translated into English.

Problem with that is I really don't think any Scandinavian devs would make a space exploration/adventure type game.

Because of the afformentioned depression. The underlying cultural feel to Sweden is basically "strive to achieve your best, then settle down and be happy" there's very little of that "woooooooo let's be reckless and do something possibly stupid" thing that America tends to embody.

Daxon on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm racist against the inanimate.

I firmly believe that inanimate beings are inferior to me and that I am the master over them.

Sometimes when I get extremely frustrated or angry I take out my frustration with physical violence against the inanimate.

It's not even a crime. That should tell you something.

We don't use that term, we prefer to call them "differently animate"

Winky on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    woo, bought some RPGs and stuff for my iPhone

now back to Mage? or basic C coding? hmmm

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    achievements are too... easy?

what a strange complaint

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "male violence is an expression of power and control over women; men are hitting to control and get things. Women's violence is an expression of frustration and rage and exasperation."

I really hate this idea.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I don't agree with this.

For one, Mass Effect is good.

Oh, I think you know what I meant. I was having a revelation about side missions. The relevance. And how at least I often considered them for no more than a distraction from "the game."

JamesKeenan on
This discussion has been closed.