Options

[Star Trek] Whose turn is it to mop out the holodeck?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

my brain why did you have to post that

Pony on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Because sometimes you get the best hard sci-fi of all when you disregard the actual technology

Robman on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Because sometimes you get the best hard sci-fi of all when you disregard the actual technology

Actually, disregarding the actual technology is what we call soft sci-fi. So, it is, in fact, not the best hard sci-fi, but it is pretty god damned good sci-fi.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    darmok is one of the most retarded episodes of star trek ever aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pony on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    holy shit did you read the first comment for this thing?
    This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be sometime around 2007 for whomever is reading this. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES. Something... happens with them. Something came through, something from somewhere else. We were overrun in days, not many of us are left. WE LIVE UNDERGROUND! ONLY YOU CAN STOP IT NOW. SAVE US. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES.

I don't have much time. This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be--

Almost every comment on that page is wonderful entertainment.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    So, Worf just made a personal shield out of a comm badge.

Sure itll only last 15 seconds, but I guess that means theyre totally doable, raising the issue of why dont they have these?

might be because it only stops bullets and no one uses that anymore other then the 'Peace' planet.

But mostly budget reasons prevent the away team from going in in full iron man power suits complete with shields and disruptor shoulder canon from predator.

Yeah, but Worf set it up in the holodeck in 15 minutes with a fucking Swiss army knife.

I understand the whole budgetary reasons and stuff, but you would think that in one of the episodes where they show a commando team theyd have them armed with personal shields.

As for the whole bullets thing, theyre not really bullets, theyre photons or some shit so arent they really just low grade phasers?
    Squigie wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Anyone using the holodeck after me would be walking knee-deep through my semen.

D:

Ever notice that you never see anyone actually cleaning on TNG? How the heck does the place stay so clean?

Holographic janitors?

They did repurpose all the Mark 1 Holodocs for menial labor in high radiation asteroid mining. Its not out of the realm of possibility they use holograms for other dangerous/unsanitary jobs.

Dirty photonic scabs are just stealing jobs from hard-working exocomps.
    Cant they just use the teleporters to clean the spunk out of holodecks? I mean, they can teleport all sorts of shit, why not just teleport the semen out into space? Or turn that shit into stuff that can be reused by the replicators, atoms are atoms (although from a psychological perspective its kinda gross, I mean, some people worry about getting some man milk on their sandwich...)

You should be aware that everything you have ever eaten was, at some point in the past, semen. Replicators just speed up the cycle of life.

Shutupshutupshutup

EDIT: Im currently watching Chain of Command Part I and Im left wondering if theyll ever explain why theyre using Picard, Worf and Crusher as a covert ops commando team instead of an actual commando team tasked with this sort of thing. The Federation must have at least a small number of commandos in case diplomacy fails and they need to extract hostages, I mean, I cant believe that every time diplomacy fails theyll require the command staff of the ship negotiating their release to train to extract the hostages.

emp123 on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One thing to think about is how large of an energy pack they would need to make personal shields.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Commando Team?

Remember these guys:

200px-MACO_Enterprise_logo.svg.png

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, but Worf set it up in the holodeck in 15 minutes with a fucking Swiss army knife.

I understand the whole budgetary reasons and stuff, but you would think that in one of the episodes where they show a commando team theyd have them armed with personal shields.

As for the whole bullets thing, theyre not really bullets, theyre photons or some shit so arent they really just low grade phasers?

now here's the other thing, why the fuck didn't the shield work for the Borg?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought holodeck technology was a different application of replicator technology. So that if you turned off the safety protocols they would indeed be "real" bullets.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Either way, we got holodeck bullets stopped by a shield made from a com-badge and then the same thing working on borg with no downside.

edit: bah, what ever. General lack of vision for the writers and directors of the show.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I thought holodeck technology was a different application of replicator technology. So that if you turned off the safety protocols they would indeed be "real" bullets.

This is my understanding as well.

Or, as seems to be the case, "a wizard did it".

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Favorite episode by far is the one with the satellite that makes Picard relive the final memories of that dying planet. The one with the piccolo, god DAMN was that some good television.

Those aliens were dicks. The best way for their memory to remain was to convince someone that they were one of them and then have them live a full life on their planet. He felt like he was in there for 20+ years, and most of that time the people there were trying to convince him that he was crazy and that he was actually one of them, after the 20+ years he thought he was there he must have at some point decided that he was in fact crazy and that he must be one of them, thus determining that his prior life was a hallucination.

I understand what they were trying to do and I understand why they were doing it, and its definitely more effective than just running a holodeck simulation of whats going on but Jesus.

EDIT: And now Picard has been stripped naked and is being held hostage by a Cardassian. Im pretty sure its part of some BDSM thing... Star Trek just got freaky.

emp123 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't get way rotating phaser frequencies only work a few times before the Borg adapt.

Either the Borg should be immune to all frequencies at all time, or the Borg can only be immune to a few frequencies at a time, and you can get around that by constantly changing the frequency.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EDIT: And now Picard has been stripped naked and is being held hostage by a Cardassian. Im pretty sure its part of some BDSM thing... Star Trek just got freaky.

Actually a spoiler if you haven't seen this episode.
    THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aren't there episodes where the holographic shit can't go outside the holodeck no matter what?

Couscous on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EMP123, are you seriously just seeing this episode for the first time?! Holy shit you have to post your thoughts at the end.

The last line between Picard and whats-her-face is so god damn amazing.

I still get chills.

EDIT: FUUUUCK. The complete series on Amazon is three hundred goddamn dollars?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Aren't there episodes where the holographic shit can't go outside the holodeck no matter what?

There are also episodes where the holographic shit leaves the holodeck and takes over the ship, although these may have been from Voyager. And by may have I mean were.

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    EMP123, are you seriously just seeing this episode for the first time?! Holy shit you have to post your thoughts at the end.

The last line between Picard and whats-her-face is so god damn amazing.

I still get chills.

Yes, yes I am. Netflix can get you the discs for the simple price of a monthly fee.

The Next Generation and I are about the same age so I missed most of the episodes, I caught more DS9 episodes I think, but again I was little. I saw a bunch of Voyager though. Luckily I dont remember most of the Voyager episodes.

Prior to my decision to watch the entire run of TNG, I had seen the first 4 Star Trek movies, and then every movie from Generations on.

Full disclosure: I like Generations, First Contact, and Star Trek: The Movie.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I can accept FTL travel
    I can accept replicators
    I can accept transporters
    I can accept a post scarcity society without a need for money

I will never accept that we can one day reach the point where we no longer need/want pockets.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I can accept FTL travel
    I can accept replicators

I will never accept that we can one day reach the point where we no longer need/want pockets.

what keeps their phasors on?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Alright, that episode was pretty stellar. The show has really gotten good since season 4 (Id say it was pretty mediocre with some great sprinkled in until half way through season 4, but since that time its been pretty good with fantastic sprinkled in), and this two parter was definitely a high spot.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    which episode are you on? Best of Both Worlds?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

The scene where the Borg start playing Miley Cyrus was a little off putting.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The later seasons of TNG were IMO the best, of course the exact same thing could be said about DS9.

Also, Whaletrek is my second favorite of the Star Trek movies.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The beasties look happy captain!

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The later seasons of TNG were IMO the best, of course the exact same thing could be said about DS9.

What the fuck is your first? Also, I should let you know that no matter how you answer, it's FUCKING WRONG and you have horrible taste.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I assume that means Khan is your first, but I must inform you you are incorrect, as the correct order is Whaletrek first, Khan second.

Im currently on Season 6 Episode 12 Ship in a Bottle. Professor Moriarty is back and hes not happy with Picard.

EDIT: Moriarty just walked off the holodeck and everyone is amazed, but nobody suspects theyre still on the holodeck and that Moriarty is just fucking with them? Im like 15 minutes in and only half way through the season, but Im declaring this episode the weak spot of the season.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I can accept FTL travel
    I can accept replicators

what keeps their phasors on?

Magic? Alternatively something that looks like a belt loop, or a holster it changes from episode to episode.

Speaking of phasers. Anyone remember the small ones that were about the size of a silver dollar during the early TNG seasons? Way too easy to lose something like that and then step on it one day.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Actually, disregarding the actual technology is what we call soft sci-fi. So, it is, in fact, not the best hard sci-fi, but it is pretty god damned good sci-fi.

Does science fiction rely on the specific presence of technology? I mean, technology is science but not all science is technology, right? We can do sci-fi without advanced devices involved, right?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Does science fiction rely on the specific presence of technology? I mean, technology is science but not all science is technology, right? We can do sci-fi without advanced devices involved, right?

Forgive me, I was using technology and science more or less interchangeably.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

TNG hit its stride around season 3 and the good times lasted until about 6. Season 6-7 is when they started running out of ideas and started bringing in everybody's fucking family members. Worf's step-brother, Crusher's mom, Geordi's mom, etc.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Forgive me, I was using technology and science more or less interchangeably.

No worries. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but, it's a thing I've wonder about.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

TNG hit its stride around season 3 and the good times lasted until about 6. Season 6-7 is when they started running out of ideas and started bringing in everybody's fucking family members. Worf's step-brother, Crusher's grandma's hot Irish ghost-lover Geordi's mom, etc.

FTFY.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have an admission to make folks.

I've seen every episode of TNG, and can usually ID an episode within 5 seconds of the beginning of the teaser.

With all that in mind I have never watched The Inner Light from beginning to end. I've seen the beginning, and the end, but never watched it all the way through.

I'm currently rectifying this extreme oversight.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I've been watching through DS9 and I came across a pretty lul-worthy episode:

Worf's brother Kurn shows up at the station and demands that Worf ritually kill him, as this is the only way Kurn can die with honor. (Worf's various clashes with the Klingon government have left his whole family stripped of land and title, etc.) Worf agrees, but is caught in the act, and Julian saves Kurn's life. Sisko is right pissed, and tells Worf that if he tries to kill his brother again he'll be tried accordingly, and there must be some other way. They try and have him do a couple of jobs around the station, but of course he's horrible at them.
    The solution?
    They have Julian erase Kurn's memory, alter his appearance, and then he's given a false identity and fostered out to a Klingon famliy that say he's their son and was in some accident.

So, I guess as long as his body doesn't die, it's okay to kill the guy's mind.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    inner light it's pretty good

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, that's the thing. Julian and Sisko didn't really think it through. I think Worf did, though, and realized it was a death, and that in the end his brother got what he wanted.

Now, if it was they simply suppressed his memories in the hopes of the House of Mogh's fortunes turning later on, that would be more TNG-ish. But DS9 goes with, "I'm uncomfortable with actually stopping his biological process, but I can accept wiping out everything he is as a person." In that light, DS9 got started early on the "protagonists don't always do the right thing" part.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    that's some Terri Schiavo shit right there.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aioua wrote: »
    So I've been watching through DS9 and I came across a pretty lul-worthy episode:

Worf's brother Kurn shows up at the station and demands that Worf ritually kill him, as this is the only way Kurn can die with honor. (Worf's various clashes with the Klingon government have left his whole family stripped of land and title, etc.) Worf agrees, but is caught in the act, and Julian saves Kurn's life. Sisko is right pissed, and tells Worf that if he tries to kill his brother again he'll be tried accordingly, and there must be some other way. They try and have him do a couple of jobs around the station, but of course he's horrible at them.
    The solution?
    They have Julian erase Kurn's memory, alter his appearance, and then he's given a false identity and fostered out to a Klingon famliy that say he's their son and was in some accident.

So, I guess as long as his body doesn't die, it's okay to kill the guy's mind.

As far as the law is concerned, yes

override367 on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

What the fuck is your first? Also, I should let you know that no matter how you answer, it's FUCKING WRONG and you have horrible taste.

Undiscovered Country.

I <3 that movie so much.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
This discussion has been closed.