As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XII: Congratulations to Spectrum, Dana White

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lets talk about conditioning, cause its kinda related to MMA, and In the past 2 months I've gone from being the worst shape in years to best shape of my life. Im in a program that has me PTing an hour a day mon-thursday, sometimes friday. Stretches, calisthenics, then either circuit training, or running, usually. Due to ice on the ground we havent run this week. I want to go running now but A) Its 30 degrees outside and B)Im about halfway through a cold.

How bad is it to run in the cold gentlemen, when already sick? I'd like to be back to near-normal again by monday, but having not run in the past week may hurt me a bit as well. Is a 3-5 mile run a bad idea?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doing any strenuous physical activity while sick will delay your recovery.

adytum on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Take it easy, Cango. Just stick to minor physical activities like stretching and some moderate shadow boxing to dull the urge for now.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Lets talk about conditioning, cause its kinda related to MMA, and In the past 2 months I've gone from being the worst shape in years to best shape of my life. Im in a program that has me PTing an hour a day mon-thursday, sometimes friday. Stretches, calisthenics, then either circuit training, or running, usually. Due to ice on the ground we havent run this week. I want to go running now but A) Its 30 degrees outside and B)Im about halfway through a cold.

How bad is it to run in the cold gentlemen, when already sick? I'd like to be back to near-normal again by monday, but having not run in the past week may hurt me a bit as well. Is a 3-5 mile run a bad idea?

Rest dude. You wont notice the cold if you're exercising hard, but that sort of work is tough on your body. Get plenty of sleep, eat well, and you'll recover much more quickly.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If he feels the need to continue to train, it is possible to be less intense by observing and practising technique slowly and methodically, correct?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anthony Pettis's crazy-ass cage kick was inspired by Tony Jaa

And if for some reason you don't know who Tony Jaa is, you need to recognize. Quickly.

I actually trained shit like this back in the day. Heh. It's not that hard once you figure out how to get the knee of the non kicking leg up high enough. Until that point though, there is much humiliation and pain involved.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I showed that kick to my girlfriend.

And she says

"I don't get what's so special about that. You'd figure someone would have done it before people do it in movies and games all the time."

:(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, Tum. I think we can safely get rid of the WEC section of the OP. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So I showed that kick to my girlfriend.

And she says

"I don't get what's so special about that. You'd figure someone would have done it before people do it in movies and games all the time."

:(

Keep punching her in the face and yell at her to just jump off the wall kick you in the face.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I considered it.

But she plays a lot of Left 4 Dead.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here's the current Dynamite card. Not sure how much it will change in the next two weeks, though.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3495%3Aso-heres-the-complete-dynamite-2010-card-thus-far&catid=35%3Aevents&Itemid=2

*wishing I had HD Net*

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I considered it.

But she plays a lot of Left 4 Dead.

Then she'll understand Shotguns and chainsaws right?

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Waiting an extra month or two for a pretty bad fight (if Silva remains the opponent) really sucks.

815165 on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Waiting an extra month or two for a pretty bad fight (if Silva remains the opponent) really sucks.
    Or maybe it'll be a really really good match.

"We've secretly replaced Bigfoot Silva with Anderson Silva riding on the shoulders of Wanderlei Silva. Let's see if Fedor notices."

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So Joe Warren is going the Kid route and Fedor isn't going to fight anyone that matters until he's too old to compete.

Cool.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    B:L wrote: »

"We've secretly replaced Bigfoot Silva with Anderson Silva riding on the shoulders of Wanderlei Silva. Let's see if Fedor notices."
    Other way round, maybe? You want Silva's flying knee and Wand's hooks.

Fuck it, either way I'd still bet on Fedor.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Other way round, maybe? You want Silva's flying knee and Wand's hooks.

Fuck it, either way I'd still bet on Fedor.
    How about we stack a Thiago Silva on top as well?

• Options
    edited December 2010
    He'd only be there for the cool throat slit celebration.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So I gave the EA MMA iPhone app a shot, since it was on sale for 99 cents.

It's a way simplified form of the console version, so much that I would compare it to THQ's UFC 2010.

You tap the corners of the screen for strikes; upper left for left punch, upper right for right punch, lower left for left kick, lower right for right kick. Except your opponent can block your attack and you waste stamina, OR your opponent can parry your attack and get a free counterattack opportunity which you can't defend except by parrying back. Sliding two fingers inward would attempt a clinch (and improve position in grappling), outward would escape, and sliding two fingers down would attempt a double leg takedown (or a submission on the ground). During these attempts, two points appear on the screen and you have to tap the points within a certain time frame to succeed. This is the same system during a submission, to torque it or to defend against it. Submissions first damage the stamina, then their health when stamina runs out. The game depends on stamina; run out of stamina and they escape your sub attempts., throw too many strikes and your max stamina goes down quite severely.

As you can tell, the app doesn't have that much depth. It does have multiple tracks from the actual game, and some challenges that are either recreations of actual matches (defeat Rogers via KO in 2nd round with Fedor) or really strange ones (defeat Shinya Aoki with Brett Rogers via submission...WUT). Yes you can mix and match weight classes, which results in hilarity.

For 99 cents it's a fun MMA time waster, but I'd stick with the actual console EA MMA for a fun in-depth fighting engine.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh, Lashley vs Overeem takes place in Japan. Now it makes all kinda sense.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're not excited about the upcoming Brazil card you are terrible

20101215025418_midia2.JPG

I can't wait for it<3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!"

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I gave the EA MMA iPhone app a shot, since it was on sale for 99 cents.

It's a way simplified form of the console version, so much that I would compare it to THQ's UFC 2010.

You tap the corners of the screen for strikes; upper left for left punch, upper right for right punch, lower left for left kick, lower right for right kick. Except your opponent can block your attack and you waste stamina, OR your opponent can parry your attack and get a free counterattack opportunity which you can't defend except by parrying back. Sliding two fingers inward would attempt a clinch (and improve position in grappling), outward would escape, and sliding two fingers down would attempt a double leg takedown (or a submission on the ground). During these attempts, two points appear on the screen and you have to tap the points within a certain time frame to succeed. This is the same system during a submission, to torque it or to defend against it. Submissions first damage the stamina, then their health when stamina runs out. The game depends on stamina; run out of stamina and they escape your sub attempts., throw too many strikes and your max stamina goes down quite severely.

As you can tell, the app doesn't have that much depth. It does have multiple tracks from the actual game, and some challenges that are either recreations of actual matches (defeat Rogers via KO in 2nd round with Fedor) or really strange ones (defeat Shinya Aoki with Brett Rogers via submission...WUT). Yes you can mix and match weight classes, which results in hilarity.

For 99 cents it's a fun MMA time waster, but I'd stick with the actual console EA MMA for a fun in-depth fighting engine.

I did the same thing since it was $.99, You can't really compare it to the full UFC 2010. There's some really wacky crap going on this that makes absoultely no sense. Every time I fully mount someone I've got to defend against their Gulitoine from the bottom... that's not possible. It teleport clips me immediately back into guard. So I'd say it's worth $.99 if you need some sort of MMA simulation on your iphone, but other than that it blows.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    If you're not excited about the upcoming Brazil card you are terrible

20101215025418_midia2.JPG

I can't wait for it<3

I love...
    GOOOOOOOOOOLD

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Overeem vs Bobby Lashley sounds like hilarity in the making.

Wibod on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wibod wrote: »
    Overeem vs Bobby Lashley sounds like a massacre in the making.

Fixed

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A guy who doesn't like getting hit vs arguably the most elite striker in the heavyweight division.

Yep, sounds like a massacre to me.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have we gotten the 'Next Round' post from adytum yet?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not yet, I'm going to get to it this afternoon!

adytum on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Well that's sure nice of Dana.

Now if only he could treat all fans like human beings and not tell them to fuck off constantly.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just got to see the WEC from last week, but...

HOLY SHIT ANTHONY PETTIS OFF THE FUCKING CAGE WHAT
    I recently visitied Tiger Muay Thai and had the experience of a lifetime, But this is not about me, this is about SAVING THE LIFE OF A 4yr OLD GIRL!!!!

I had the pleasure of training with Kru Nai and meeting his family....When I returned home I learned that his daughter needs a LIVER TRANSPLANT or will die....the doctors gave 4 weeks to live.....

Please donate and help save a life

Mr. DANA WHITE,
    If you are a true ambassador for the sport.....PAY FOR THIS SURGERY!!!

Please help, no donation to small........the clock is ticking
    http://savetuptim.yolasite.com/ or contact TIGER MUAY THAI for details

Nai is the trainer in Roger Huerta's HL Video.....

STEP UP Mr. WHITE.....please save a life

That ... I really don't know how I feel about that. What the fuck does this have to do with him being a "true ambassador of the sport?" I mean, awesome of Dana to actually do it, but I certainly wouldn't have held it against him if he didn't, the way that "plea" was put together.

Maybe I'm just a bad person.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I just got to see the WEC from last week, but...

HOLY SHIT ANTHONY PETTIS OFF THE FUCKING CAGE WHAT
    I recently visitied Tiger Muay Thai and had the experience of a lifetime, But this is not about me, this is about SAVING THE LIFE OF A 4yr OLD GIRL!!!!

I had the pleasure of training with Kru Nai and meeting his family....When I returned home I learned that his daughter needs a LIVER TRANSPLANT or will die....the doctors gave 4 weeks to live.....

Please donate and help save a life

Mr. DANA WHITE,
    If you are a true ambassador for the sport.....PAY FOR THIS SURGERY!!!

Please help, no donation to small........the clock is ticking
    http://savetuptim.yolasite.com/ or contact TIGER MUAY THAI for details

Nai is the trainer in Roger Huerta's HL Video.....

STEP UP Mr. WHITE.....please save a life

That ... I really don't know how I feel about that. What the fuck does this have to do with him being a "true ambassador of the sport?" I mean, awesome of Dana to actually do it, but I certainly wouldn't have held it against him if he didn't, the way that "plea" was put together.

Maybe I'm just a bad person.
    It's the pleas of someone that sounds desparate for help. Good on Dana White for this good deed.
    Dana White's heart must've grown three sizes that day.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm waiting for the inevitable flood of people who try and take advantage of this particular act of kindness. Then when just one person gets turned down for it, Dana will be called and asshole, etc.

Not just because it's Dana. But just because that's how people are.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm waiting for the inevitable flood of people who try and take advantage of this particular act of kindness. Then when just one person gets turned down for it, Dana will be called and asshole, etc.

C'mon Willy let's not spoil this moment with negativity.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

The thing is this is already taking advantage of Dana's previous acts of kindness. He's been doing stuff like this for a while.

That was one of the first points someone made in that thread, maybe the very first reply: where does he draw the line? However wealthy and/or generous Dana might be, he can't pay for everything everyone else ever wants.

And yes, you're right of course that that would be the reaction.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So Sengoku has a massive farkin' card going down.

Nightmare of Battle

Also, it looks like Strikeforce is setting up a Heavyweight tourney of sorts. Might actually be pretty interesting to watch, mainly because Fedor, Reem and Barnett are in it. Interesting possibilities for sure.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3506%3Afour-fights-have-been-announced-for-strikeforces-2011-heavyweight-grand-prix&catid=35%3Aevents&Itemid=2

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nightmare of Battle: The Soul is Complete

they are doing this on purpose.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. Engrish is pretty much awesome.

ChillyWilly on