Options

game journalism is shit

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I assume if it gets a 7 on metacritic it won't be that fulfilling.

so far I've been kinda correct, at least in my personal opinions of gams.

Particularly in Gran Turismo 5.

Now I try and make it my business not to buy anything lower than 8.

oh and it appears Gran Turismo actually scored an 84.

So hey I am wrong again

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would love to break into games journalism as a lark (got my BA in Journalism from IU last december) but it is really had to get into without an expansive portfolio. And I would probably want to do something independent with people I know. Unfortunately for me, I can't think of anyone I know who is interested in reviewing games and knows how to write.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm with NaS

Weaver on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    The problem the article quoted in the OP is trying to point out is that most games journalists don't have training in art

they don't have the basic lexicon at their disposal to actually describe the things they are paid to describe about

they can't say anything beyond "this game is pretty" or "the colors are bright" because they lack the critical understanding about how the bright colors or sharp textures tie into the game itself beyond the most superficial means, aka "ooh pretty"

it is essentially an art critic that doesn't understand technique, composition, color theory or practical application of the medium and has only the most basic understanding of art history as it relates to whatever their doing

add to that the fact that most reviewers are in the PR/Consumer Information Mill, churning out game reviews at top speed without giving them the time or attention they deserve and are immediately on to the next one as soon as that one has been processed into its base decimal system, and you have a system ripe for exploitation by lazy uninformed writers who use press releases as their core source for information and rely on controversy and hype to generate their paychecks

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Personally I'd like to see how much content would be lost on gaming sites if they were forced to never make Top ____ lists ever again. The distinction between enthusiasts and critics is a big one.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    What's wrong with more after the jump!? :x

It's a stupid term that doesn't really do anything but add word count and re-affirm that these are just blogs and not news sites.

Also it sounds stupid.

Did I mention it is stupid?

It is a system that is basically there for metric tracking

they add the jump so that they can entice the reader with an initial blurb from the home page into clicking a link to read an article that would be too large to fit into the flow of the home page layout, which also serves to allow the admins of the site with a way to track what pages are getting read more then others

it ain't going away

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't really blame the vast wasteland of video game journalism for any lack of elevation in the medium itself.

No one would argue that there are some fantastic movie critics out there, and even though the internet has given rise to the same "I'm a critic too!" mentality that games journalism suffers from, there are still the stalwart, respected film critics that most people turn to when they want to hear about the merits of this year's Oscar winners.

And yet the movie industry is bloated with cash that is routinely spent on pumping out trite bullshit and huge vapid blockbusters. So while games journalism certainly isn't helping to hold games to some higher standard, the people who go out and buy "Madden X" and "Call of Duty Y" every year without question are more the problem, I think.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    start a "game journalism" site where it's like real news articles done from the in-universe perspective of the game

Weaver on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The problem the article quoted in the OP is trying to point out is that most games journalists don't have training in art

they don't have the basic lexicon at their disposal to actually describe the things they are paid to describe about

they can't say anything beyond "this game is pretty" or "the colors are bright" because they lack the critical understanding about how the bright colors or sharp textures tie into the game itself beyond the most superficial means, aka "ooh pretty"

it is essentially an art critic that doesn't understand technique, composition, color theory or practical application of the medium and has only the most basic understanding of art history as it relates to whatever their doing

add to that the fact that most reviewers are in the PR/Consumer Information Mill, churning out game reviews at top speed without giving them the time or attention they deserve and are immediately on to the next one as soon as that one has been processed into its base decimal system, and you have a system ripe for exploitation by lazy uninformed writers who use press releases as their core source for information and rely on controversy and hype to generate their paychecks

My new site is going to be called "Reviewing Games That Came Out Six Months Ago". It's overkill in the other direction, but I like it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm an Art History major!

I actually wanna write a thesis on games as art if I ever get into a grad program.

If anyone wants me to review the art in games I'd be happy to!

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    If I wasn't so disillusioned with grassroots internet stuff I'd try to start my own review site. But I'd rather spend that energy trying to make an awesome game.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would love to break into games journalism as a lark (got my BA in Journalism from IU last december) but it is really had to get into without an expansive portfolio. And I would probably want to do something independent with people I know. Unfortunately for me, I can't think of anyone I know who is interested in reviewing games and knows how to write.

The best way to do anything is just to start doing it. You have every single tool you need at your disposal. Begin writing about games, and if you show any bit of competency toward the craft you will earn the attention you deserve and with that comes the ability to do more with it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's a stupid term that doesn't really do anything but add word count and re-affirm that these are just blogs and not news sites.

Also it sounds stupid.

It does sound a little dumb, but in most cases I've seen it used, it's pretty similar to newspapers and magazines having longer features continue in later pages of the publication. I can't really think of layouts where "after the jump" just punctuates gaps in a single page. Unless the phrase is carrying over from their headline roll or something, which is just bad editing.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I was listening to joe rogan talk about the UFC judges and its a pretty similar situation

It's mostly people from boxing and they just don't understand a lot of the stuff dudes are doing. He brought up an instance of a judge leaning over and asking what it was the fighter was doing

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    start a "game journalism" site where it's like real news articles done from the in-universe perspective of the game

http://www.firstpersonobserver.com/

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

have a personal ads section.

"Male Human seeks Female Asari for space adventures.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I assume if it gets a 7 on metacritic it won't be that fulfilling.

so far I've been kinda correct, at least in my personal opinions of gams.

Particularly in Gran Turismo 5.

Now I try and make it my business not to buy anything lower than 8.

oh and it appears Gran Turismo actually scored an 84.

So hey I am wrong again

This is why number scores are dumb. My personal example is the Conan game for the 360, which is averaging a 69 on Metacritic. While that's definitely the "objective" score that it deserves, I love the hell out of that game. If I'd just looked at the number and not read reviews I'd have never picked it up and I would have missed a lot of fun.

Peen on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peen wrote: »
    I hate reviewers that won't sack up and give a bad score. Every time I read a review that completely shits on a game and ends with "7/10" it makes me crazy.

I vastly prefer sites that don't give a numerical score at all, not the least because fuck metacritic.

I think I've made my opinion of RockPaperShotgun clear, but they do everything as "Wot I Think"s, which are literally that - the reviewer's opinion, and as well written as the rest of the site. Their recent review of Precursors a buggy, flawed, but also very ambitious russian game is a good example of how things should be done.

Ars Technica is also pretty good - they too eschew traditional review scores for a "Buy, Rent, or Skip" at the end.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If I wasn't so disillusioned with grassroots internet stuff I'd try to start my own review site. But I'd rather spend that energy trying to make an awesome game.

What do you think about my idea for a site?

I really think that I get more detailed and custom tailored game reviews and suggestions from my social circle than anywhere else.

I think it would work.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can't really blame the vast wasteland of video game journalism for any lack of elevation in the medium itself.

No one would argue that there are some fantastic movie critics out there, and even though the internet has given rise to the same "I'm a critic too!" mentality that games journalism suffers from, there are still the stalwart, respected film critics that most people turn to when they want to hear about the merits of this year's Oscar winners.

And yet the movie industry is bloated with cash that is routinely spent on pumping out trite bullshit and huge vapid blockbusters. So while games journalism certainly isn't helping to hold games to some higher standard, the people who go out and buy "Madden X" and "Call of Duty Y" every year without question are more the problem, I think.
    why are they "the problem"

because they'd rather spend their money on an experience they know they would enjoy, faced with a glut of potential disappointing experiences that they don't know about? Games cost sixty fucking bucks any more, and take forty to sixty hours to beat. You can't blame the consumers for knowing what they enjoy, nor can you blame the producers for wanting to deliver a guaranteed profitable game to a demanding market instead of risking tens of millions of dollars on a product that may not make it back.

Innovation has always happened on the fringe. That's what the fringe is for.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Uriel wrote: »

I really think that I get more detailed and custom tailored game reviews and suggestions from my social circle than anywhere else.

I think it would work.

As they say, the proof is in the execution of your idea.

I think that's what they say, anyway. They say a lot of things.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I think it would work.

As they say, the proof is in the execution of your idea.

I think that's what they say, anyway. They say a lot of things.

It would require much planning.

Probably studying sites that are similar, like Last.FM or Boardgamegeek.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    metacritic is complete shit unless you want to reaffirm your opinions for a game based off of one number

In aggregating review scores and averaging them you lose all sense of bias and personal opinion of the review author, so you can't weigh the emotions and opinions behind the number. If THE INDUSTRY was as objective in its reporting as it could be, then metacritic would actually be useful.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It would require much planning.

Probably studying sites that are similar, like Last.FM or Boardgamegeek.

This is in the nicest tone possible:

I don't care.

The internet is filled with people who try to do something and then realize it actually takes work. I'll be glad to offer my opinions on your site once it's up, but until then giving you my thoughts on an idea is worse than useless.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Also it sounds stupid.

It is a system that is basically there for metric tracking

they add the jump so that they can entice the reader with an initial blurb from the home page into clicking a link to read an article that would be too large to fit into the flow of the home page layout, which also serves to allow the admins of the site with a way to track what pages are getting read more then others

it ain't going away

What's wrong with this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

If you are using accurate and descriptive headlines, you can just put the link there and track to a permalinked page for the story.

The "put a little blurb in and then a 'jump'" method basically reduces the first paragraph of a story into extended sensationalism like the headlines with the sole purpose of getting people to click on the jump link.

For all of their flaws, Kotaku isn't horrible about this. They have a headline and a small blurb and then a link that simply says "More" (which doesn't appear on the story page). However, to scan their stories on the front page, I still have to scroll down through all the blurbs and any time they are randomly inserting a larger box for an image or video in the middle of it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But numbers determine everything! If you can't tell me everything I need to do know about a product by giving it a generic quantifier then I don't want that product

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another point is that people who would take the time and energy to study art with the goal of working in the video game industry would probably prefer to work in design rather than the journalistic aspect.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    But numbers determine everything! If you can't tell me everything I need to do know about a product by giving it a generic quantifier then I don't want that product

emot-suicide.gif

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I figured, Orik.

It's been a while since I've had a good idea just let me enjoy it for a minute.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've actually read a lot of game magazines (mostly in the past when I was a kid, stuff like GamePro and Nintendo Power and what have you). Now with stuff like Nintendo Power, it wasn't until pretty recently that there was any real criticism about any of the games. But fuck, it's sponsored by Nintendo what do you expect.

That being said, what's driven me most crazy (especially in console game reviews) are the opinions on the controls or the camera. Either the controls were unresponsive or they weren't. Either you couldn't see your character or you couldn't. They were never able to come up with anything more clear headed than "the controls are A, they should be B." or vice versa, and it drove me nuts.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Another point is that people who would take the time and energy to study art with the goal of working in the video game industry would probably prefer to work in design rather than the journalistic aspect.

That's sort of a silly point to make, though. Of course they would. Is it so easy to get into design? Ask Rank. Ask NaS. That aside, there's no reason one couldn't contribute to a publication while working a day job. It's the mode of operation for almost every writer of note in the last century.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

which is precisely why most media critics are fucking worthless

most of the time, they're just folks without the ability or training to actually do anything useful at all

they're just fans who want to be part of the system they are fans of, but they're lazy and terrible at their jobs

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

My new site is going to be called "Reviewing Games That Came Out Six Months Ago". It's overkill in the other direction, but I like it.

I still want to review movies that are no younger than five years

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

tru tru

but I can't draw and am poor in the creative sense, so I'm hoping the study of the history of art will lead me to a career in the history of videogame art.

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there something like Netflix suggestions, but for games? It would just be an aggregation of opinions on games, but it would be interesting anyway.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I skipped a couple pages, has anyone gotten angry about "This-But-This" reviews, where the entire review is structured so as to give one bad point followed by one redeeming quality for 10 paragraphs? Because fuck.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I skipped a couple pages, has anyone gotten angry about "This-But-This" reviews, where the entire review is structured so as to give one bad point followed by one redeeming quality for 10 paragraphs? Because fuck.

Compliment sandwiches! Fuck them, fuck them in their formulaic... bread

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

which is precisely why most media critics are fucking worthless

most of the time, they're just folks without the ability or training to actually do anything useful at all

they're just fans who want to be part of the system they are fans of, but they're lazy and terrible at their jobs

I have a friend who wants to work in IGN. Why? Because he likes video games. I've told him a few times what I think of that idea, at least to get to him to seriously evaluate why he wants that job. He doesn't even like writing.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That's sort of a silly point to make, though. Of course they would. Is it so easy to get into design? Ask Rank. Ask NaS. That aside, there's no reason one couldn't contribute to a publication while working a day job. It's the mode of operation for almost every writer of note in the last century.

It is so difficult to get into design that I realized that it would be easier to learn how to program and literally make the games myself.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Going to make a website where review scores are 1-100, based on how many dollars I'd spend on the game.

artifexite on