Options

[Rep. Giffords] thread (NOT A GUN THREAD)

• Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I can agree with that, but worrying about the mote in our eye and pretending it's equivalent to the log in the RNC's seems wasteful.

Keep in mind I was responding to someone saying he couldn't think of a single egregious example on the left.

Not sure I would come out guns-blazing at someone who claims there's *more* negative rhetoric on the right currently. Being on the political outs will do that to you (see dems 2000-2004).

I will, of course continue to call out knee-jerk "but I just know this guy's a right winger" comments until that's proven.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can agree with that, but worrying about the mote in our eye and pretending it's equivalent to the log in the RNC's seems wasteful.

Keep in mind I was responding to someone saying he couldn't think of a single egregious example on the left.

Not sure I would come out guns-blazing at someone who claims there's *more* negative rhetoric on the right currently. Being on the political outs will do that to you (see dems 2000-2004).

I will, of course continue to call out knee-jerk "but I just know this guy's a right winger" comments until that's proven.
    I'd like to see some of your examples from 2000-2004 coming from elected officials and significant movers and shakers in the party.

Code Pink doesn't count.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have never heard anyone say Scalia needs to die. Lots of people, including me, wish he weren't on the Supreme Court because he's an intellectually dishonest fuck virtually all the time, but that's not the same thing. And claiming that Bush would reinstate the draft were stupid, but certainly nothing close to accusing him of being a terrorist sympathizer, which was applied to a shitload of Democrats by Fox and friends.
    What he's referring to is the fact that there was a controversy over Dick Cheney being Scalia's hunting buddy while the White House had a bunch of cases up in front of the Supreme Court. Then, Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face while he was hunting with him, and some of us said stuff along the lines of "oh, well I guess I don't have a problem with Scalia hunting with Cheney."

Agent Cooper is taking this to mean that we wanted Scalia to die; of course, he's the one intimating that going hunting with Dick Cheney is a death sentence.
    At liberals absolute worst, we hope Scalia dies.

And that was just from the last thread.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    I don't think there were any government representatives shot during the Bush years were there? Did anyone crash planes into an IRS building (not counting 9/11 of course)? Was there a Dr. Tiller during the Bush Years? The Clinton Era? I know that Reagan had an attempt on his life, but how many have occurred since then?
    Hey, now, that plane thing doesn't count as a terrorist attack:

1) It was a white guy.
    2) It was against the IRS, so they totally had it coming.

Oh yeah my bad

T: Deacon. I am that guy. I also am claiming that the current violent rhetoric is larger in magnitude than that used by the democrats from 2000-2004.

And remember, you have to keep actual accounts of violence in mind as well, and that "Insurrection Timeline" linked earlier, while obviously biased, still has a lot of damning stuff.

Are you claiming also that the democrats and political climate from 2000-2004 was just as violent as it is now?

I would disagree.

Arch on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Compare to: Revolution

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have never heard anyone say Scalia needs to die. Lots of people, including me, wish he weren't on the Supreme Court because he's an intellectually dishonest fuck virtually all the time, but that's not the same thing. And claiming that Bush would reinstate the draft were stupid, but certainly nothing close to accusing him of being a terrorist sympathizer, which was applied to a shitload of Democrats by Fox and friends.
    What he's referring to is the fact that there was a controversy over Dick Cheney being Scalia's hunting buddy while the White House had a bunch of cases up in front of the Supreme Court. Then, Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face while he was hunting with him, and some of us said stuff along the lines of "oh, well I guess I don't have a problem with Scalia hunting with Cheney."

Agent Cooper is taking this to mean that we wanted Scalia to die; of course, he's the one intimating that going hunting with Dick Cheney is a death sentence.

Well done removing the link to the actual post, so we can't see context. Also, well done at totally misreading that; enlightenedbum wasn't saying that he hopes Scalia dies, he was saying that at the absolute worst, that's what liberals do. As opposed to shooting Congresswomen in the face.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There was more violent rhetoric/delegitimizing rhetoric from the right while they had all three branches of government than from the left at the same time. At least, I seem to recall being referred to as treasonous and anti-American...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if it has come up yet, but I like this quote from...Wired? I think?
    The real policy issue: how to keep a violent, mentally ill man from buying a gun, while preserving 2nd Amendment.

Arch on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if it has come up yet, but I like this quote from...Wired? I think?
    The real policy issue: how to keep a violent, mentally ill man from buying a gun, while preserving 2nd Amendment.

Pysch evaluations in addition to the 3 day waiting period. Only people that can bypass it are people with CW permits since you have to take a pysch test to get one. At least here in FL.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well done removing the link to the actual post, so we can't see context. Also, well done at totally misreading that; enlightenedbum wasn't saying that he hopes Scalia dies, he was saying that at the absolute worst, that's what liberals do. As opposed to shooting Congresswomen in the face.

Even then, it's not equivalent, because that statement doesn't imply violence.

Saying "I hope you choke and die" is different between saying "I hope someone shoots you in the head." Yes, both statements are hateful. But they are not morally equivalent.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You really can't do that if someone can go from sane to insane at any moment.

Although, as a usual pro-gun guy, this and the VT spree is making me a little suspicious of extended mags for pistols. What purpose do they serve for the law-abiding citizens that outweigh their potential harm in the hands of nutters like this guy and the VT guy?

Hoz on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47294.html#ixzz1AZuUEqgt, Politico has an "unnamed Republican Senator" criticizing the violent rhetoric of recent times:
    A senior Republican senator, speaking anonymously in order to freely discuss the tragedy, told POLITICO that the Giffords shooting should be taken as a “cautionary tale” by Republicans.

“There is a need for some reflection here - what is too far now?” said the senator. “What was too far when Oklahoma City happened is accepted now. There’s been a desensitizing. These town halls and cable TV and talk radio, everybody’s trying to outdo each other.”

The vast majority of tea party activists, this senator said, ought not be impugned.

“They’re talking about things most mainstream Americans are talking about, like spending and debt,” the Republican said, before adding that politicians of all stripes need to emphasize in the coming days that “tone matters.”

“And the Republican Party in particular needs to reinforce that,” the senator said.

The fact that he feels like he has to comment on this anonymously is enormously revealing IMO

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    Tie gun ownership to membership in the state militia (nowadays called the national guard), police, or military.

If their boot camp finds you lacking, or you seem off your fucking rocker on one of your weekend service times, you get your right to bear arms revoked.

It's so simple.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Pysch evaluations in addition to the 3 day waiting period. Only people that can bypass it are people with CW permits since you have to take a pysch test to get one. At least here in FL.

Amusingly I am linking Fox, because it is the only place I have found with info.
    Loughner, accused of killing six people, shooting Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and wounding 13 others, did not present a concealed weapons permit so he was required to pass an FBI background check. He did so"immediately and without incident," said Matt French, speaking from the Sportsman's Warehouse's Utah headquarters.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »

Although, as a usual pro-gun guy, this and the VT spree is making me a little suspicious of extended mags for pistols. What purpose do they serve for the law-abiding citizens that outweigh their potential harm in the hands of nutters like this guy and the VT guy?

Nothing.

They are impossible to conceal and when a standard mag for 16+1 do you really need 14 more bullets?

They used to be banned, but that lapsed.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't want to make this into a gun control thread but I will at least say

As someone who is vaguely for stricter access to firearms...the last few years have made me raise my eyebrow a few times.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tie gun ownership to membership in the state militia (nowadays called the national guard), police, or military.

If their boot camp finds you lacking, or you seem off your fucking rocker on one of your weekend service times, you get your right to bear arms revoked.

It's so simple.
    Uh except that can't be done because the Supreme Court made it clear that's not how the 2nd amendment can be interpreted.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    syndalis wrote: »

It's so simple.

Not really. That complicates the fuck out of things. You've eliminated gun ownership from people based on their age, their firmity, their career choices, and their stance on violence (ironically, you're keeping pacifists from owning arms, but not the violent).

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Because if you're home is invaded by 30 people and you only have a magazine with 20 something bullets you're never going to protect your family!

I have such a hard stance against guns I could never run for anything. I think for the most part no one needs a gun, and that anything that isn't a hunting rifle shouldn't be owned by anyone - let alone stupid shit like extended magazines and the like that no normal person would ever need. This tragedy just strengthens my beliefs.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Amusingly I am linking Fox, because it is the only place I have found with info.
    Loughner, accused of killing six people, shooting Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and wounding 13 others, did not present a concealed weapons permit so he was required to pass an FBI background check. He did so"immediately and without incident," said Matt French, speaking from the Sportsman's Warehouse's Utah headquarters.

Background checks do not include a psych eval. They just check to see if you have warrants or if you have been convicted of a crime.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Nothing.

They are impossible to conceal and when a standard mag for 16+1 do you really need 14 more bullets?

What? The problem is that they can be concealed, which is why a spree shooter would prefer a pistol with an extended mag over a semi-automatic rifle.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

Because if you're home is invaded by 30 people and you only have a magazine with 20 something bullets you're never going to protect your family!

I have such a hard stance against guns I could never run for anything. I think for the most part no one needs a gun, and that anything that isn't a hunting rifle shouldn't be owned by anyone - let alone stupid shit like extended magazines and the like that no normal person would ever need. This tragedy just strengthens my beliefs.

Besides, a 12ga pump action shotgun is the best weapon for home defense. The pellets from 00 buck aren't going to go ripping thru multiple walls like a bullet will, given the spread at close range you are more likely to hit your target, if you run out of ammo you can use it as a club, and the simple sound of chambering a round is enough to scare off most would be assailants.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

Even then, it's not equivalent, because that statement doesn't imply violence.

Saying "I hope you choke and die" is different between saying "I hope someone shoots you in the head." Yes, both statements are hateful. But they are not morally equivalent.

Too bad for you they're saying the latter and not the former.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Nothing.

What? The problem is that they can be concealed, which is why a spree shooter would prefer a pistol with an extended mag over a semi-automatic rifle.

Have you seen how long an extended mag is in a pistol?
    11.jpg

I am amazed that he was able to conceal THAT.

Now a normal person would never carry that around daily as their concealed weapon mag. It is way too big and too hard to conceal.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't want to make this into a gun control thread but I will at least say

As someone who is vaguely for stricter access to firearms...the last few years have made me raise my eyebrow a few times.

There have been a couple of recent supreme court decisions that have reinforced that individuals have an inherent right to bear arms. So I don't doubt there will be plenty more similar incidents in the next few years.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

Besides, a 12ga pump action shotgun is the best weapon for home defense. The pellets from 00 buck aren't going to go ripping thru multiple walls like a bullet will, given the spread at close range you are more likely to hit your target, if you run out of ammo you can use it as a club, and the simple sound of chambering a round is enough to scare off most would be assailants.

Thank you - I know nothing about guns and Im ok with that.

12ga Pump Action Shotguns for all! Turn in everything else promptly! Im all for having something to protect yourself. That's fine. But I really think that it needs to be something like this - some committee somewhere picks THE gun. THE gun you can own as a normal joe, passing the current background checks, if you so choose.

You want a different gun? Then you can go get a psych evaluation, pass certain tests and requirements, ect...

I have no idea how even purchasing a gun works, but it's just insane this guy could go into a gun store, and have his choice of several guns and crazy things like extended mags right away and that's that. If you walk into a gun store, you should have one choice - a bright red gun with one of those giant wood blocks they put on bathroom keys at gas stations.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've never held a handgun with an extended mag but I'm pretty sure I could conceal that. Maybe not in a way that's comfortable for potential every day self-defense like an LEO would need to, but if I needed to get that to an area with lots of people without being noticed I could do it easily.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    At http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47294.html#ixzz1AZuUEqgt, Politico has an "unnamed Republican Senator" criticizing the violent rhetoric of recent times:
    A senior Republican senator, speaking anonymously in order to freely discuss the tragedy, told POLITICO that the Giffords shooting should be taken as a “cautionary tale” by Republicans.

“There is a need for some reflection here - what is too far now?” said the senator. “What was too far when Oklahoma City happened is accepted now. There’s been a desensitizing. These town halls and cable TV and talk radio, everybody’s trying to outdo each other.”

The vast majority of tea party activists, this senator said, ought not be impugned.

“They’re talking about things most mainstream Americans are talking about, like spending and debt,” the Republican said, before adding that politicians of all stripes need to emphasize in the coming days that “tone matters.”

“And the Republican Party in particular needs to reinforce that,” the senator said.
    The fact that he feels like he has to comment on this anonymously is enormously revealing IMO
    The person is a fucking coward, that's why they're speaking anonymously.

"Oh, hey, this party has had way too much violent rhetoric, which I will happily benefit from while not openly speaking out against it even though I know it's fucking wrong. In order to alleviate my conscience and make myself feel a little bit better about what a horrible fucking piece of shit I am, though, I'll 'speak out' anonymously."

Fucking disgusting.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

You could conceal multiple of those under any jacket that isn't super tight unless you're uber tiny or something.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You can't. You can just try to make sure that mentally ill people are lead to violence as rarely as possible.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

The person is a fucking coward, that's why they're speaking anonymously.

"Oh, hey, this party has had way too much violent rhetoric, which I will happily benefit from while not openly speaking out against it even though I know it's fucking wrong. In order to alleviate my conscience and make myself feel a little bit better about what a horrible fucking piece of shit I am, though, I'll 'speak out' anonymously."

Fucking disgusting.
    wow. I can't believe it's anonymous, especially after what just happened. What would have been respect is now absolute disdain.

Wow.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait what? How the fuck is telling someone "I hope you die" and "I hope you die a different way" not "morally
    equivalent?"

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    One encourages a natural death, the other a violent death. Encouraging a violent death is encouraging someone to kill that person.

Hoz on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You could conceal multiple of those under any jacket that isn't super tight unless you're uber tiny or something.

Concealing any pistol 9mm or above that isn't expressly made for concealed carry under a normalish jacket isn't easy. A Glock 17 is a large, bulky pistol. A trench coat, however, could conceal a Serbu Super Shorty with ease.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of violent rhetoric, has no one mentioned those goddamn Psalms-verse bumper-stickers/other paraphernalia that people like to use to call for Obama's death?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait what? How the fuck is telling someone "I hope you die" and "I hope you die a different way" not "morally
    equivalent?"

Advocating violence vs. you know, I hope you die because that's the only way you lose your seat on SCOTUS, you disingenuous fuck.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Because public figures are generally held to a higher standard of conduct due to their influence on society?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, I'm not sure if it was posted, but they found evidence of premeditation in his home
    The federal complaint outlines discoveries from the investigation since the shooting on Saturday. In a search of Mr. Loughner's home, authorities found a note in a safe with a handwritten note saying, "I planned ahead," "My assassination," and "Giffords," as well as what appears to be Mr. Loughner's signature. Investigators also found a note, dated Aug. 30, 2007, addressed to "Mr. Jared Loughney" from Ms. Giffords's office thanking him for attending a "Congress in Your Corner" event in Tucson.

The complaint also details how Judge Roll came to be at the event. He received a call about it on Friday, and he came to speak to Ms. Giffords about the volume of cases at his federal district court -- bearing out the hypothesis offered by his colleague, Judge Alex Kozinski, to The Times's John Schwartz.

A Glock semi-automatic pistol that Mr. Loughner purchased on Nov. 30 in Tucson was recovered at the scene, according to the filing.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so a friend posted an anti-2nd amendment rant on facebook. To which I responded, i think rather politely and perfectly sanely that the problem wasn't with the 2nd amendment, but with control and allowing people to have uzis and other guns that are not necessary for protection or hunting. I then went on to say that one of the real problems that contributed to this situation was the lack of mental health care availability and affordability. It seemed a very well reasoned and non-inflammatory post. Aside from where I called myself a liberal but said I wasn't going to push the blame onto Sarah Palin and the Eliminationist Rhetoric all over the place.

The response?

"no. you are wrong."

sigh.

There are reasons I enjoy discussing things with you guys.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Because public figures are generally held to a higher standard of conduct due to their influence on society?

Ayup.

Look, even the Governor says we oughta stock up on ammo and won't unequivocally agree that Obama was born in the States! I'm reasonable!

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.