As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV Shows that died too early.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I thought Swat Kats ran for a while and ended. I did love that show just because they went away from the speed of light stuff everyone does. They ran at the SPEED OF HEAT!

I had no clue what that meant, but it sounded cool.

The used the SPEED OF HEAT! to go into space once...

Also, they had a missile that shot knives... I worked up schematics as a young child to build that jet and that missile...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I thought Swat Kats ran for a while and ended. I did love that show just because they went away from the speed of light stuff everyone does. They ran at the SPEED OF HEAT!

I had no clue what that meant, but it sounded cool.

The used the SPEED OF HEAT! to go into space once...

Also, they had a missile that shot knives... I worked up schematics as a young child to build that jet and that missile...

I kinda remember those few episodes where they had to convert the jet to move that fast. I think aliens invaded or something like.

Looking back everything was solved by firing missles. If they didn't have the right missle they would retreat and go make it.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I distinctively remember California Dreams running for long enough that by the time it ended the original cast had mostly been replaced by brothers/cousins/runaways/foreign exchange student etc.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think nobody mentioned Farscape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEC5UE34_4

Stopped way to early :(

I was enjoying Farscape until about halfway through season 2, when it went completely off the deep end.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    I uh, don't remember seeing it mentioned, but I could have done with at least 6 more episodes of Black Books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWjuIW4w7Q

YES. Forgot Black Books. Another season would've been great.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At what point do you think Farscape was in the shallow end? The entire series was bugfuck crazy and awesome.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I distinctively remember California Dreams running for long enough that by the time it ended the original cast had mostly been replaced by brothers/cousins/runaways/foreign exchange student etc.

Really, I don't remember that... Then again, I really only remember Kelly Packard

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Farscape was awful, through and through. When I moved to Canada land, I had to wait for my paperwork to go through to get work, so I sat at home and did mostly fuckall... except my wife had brought the whole Farscape show with her, and she made me watch it, from beginning to end, in about 3 weeks or so.

Muppets in space, that show. What a giant bag of horrible.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want more Firefly, and Serenity wasn't it. We went from sci-fi western to sci-fi action. If I wanted sci-fi action I would have been watching a different show.

Also Sports Night and Studio 60. Both ended early. Maybe I should watch West Wing. At least then I'll know going in that I'm getting more than 1 or 2 seasons.

2 that didn't go early, I think, are Caprica and Stargate: Universe. I decided that when SyFy gave me 5 more episodes of Caprica and I still had 2 from October to watch that I just wasn't interested anymore. Same with SGU. I watched the first ep back from the break and haven't touched the 9 that are just sitting there. I kinda want to watch those though, but that's just because Rush is great.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, and Dresden Files on SyFy was great, and I'm still sad that the canceled it. I don't know who played Bob the Skull, but he was awesome.

Eureka and Warehouse 13 both being awesome takes a bit of the sting away though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A lot of people have said Space Above and Beyond, but I really wonder if you all have gone back and watched the show again, it really isn't as good as you remember. Or, at least for me, it was pretty lackluster with some very bad acting and cheesiness.

A similar example is Battletech, I loved that show as a kid and would have loved to see a second season. But watching it now, jesus christ.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Comahawk wrote: »
    A lot of people have said Space Above and Beyond, but I really wonder if you all have gone back and watched the show again, it really isn't as good as you remember. Or, at least for me, it was pretty lackluster with some very bad acting and cheesiness.

A similar example is Battletech, I loved that show as a kid and would have loved to see a second season. But watching it now, jesus christ.

Yeah, I've gone back and watched it again. It's still great. Of course, there are some episodes better then others. For example, "The Angriest Angel" is my favorite episode and gets the most rewatches, but the overall quality of the season is damn high. Not too fond of the handful of conspiracy episodes with AeroTech. Ya know, like that election one with the UN secretary general.

BattleTech was a great kid's introduction to the BattleTech universe. It only pales somewhat when you compare it to a contemporary like Exosquad, which had more depth.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Comahawk wrote: »

I felt that way about 21 Jumpstreet. I remembered an episode about a teenage hitman that had music by Suicidal Tendencies. I thought it was really mature and edgy.

I rented the first season on Netflix a year or so a ago and it was the most awful, awful shit.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I might be a weird one here, but I thought Journeyman should have been given a longer run...but that also was the writers guild strike year.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have Journeyman in my saved queue on Netflix, since there aren't any DVDs for it. I liked Kevin McKidd in Rome but for whatever reason I didn't catch Journeyman when it was on.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rohan wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEC5UE34_4

I was enjoying Farscape until about halfway through season 2, when it went completely off the deep end.

Wait so you didn't even get to the episodes with the princess and the statues and crap?

Damn

override367 on
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere_Man_tv_series

Nowhere Man only lasted one season, and although my recollection is probably making it out to be better than it really was, I think it was cut way before its time. Copied directly from the wiki:

"Nowhere Man is the tale of a photojournalist named Thomas Veil. After leaving to use the restroom while out to dinner with his wife, Tom returns to find that his life has been "erased." His wife does not recognize him and is living with another man. His ATM cards no longer work. His best friend turns up dead. His mother was previously recovering from a stroke, so she is incapable of confirming his existence. In the course of a single evening, every trace of Tom's identity has been erased.

Tom comes to believe his erasure is related to a photograph he took a year earlier called “Hidden Agenda.” The photo depicts four men being hanged in South America by what appear to be US soldiers. The only shreds of evidence Tom has of his past are the negatives to that photograph. A mysterious "Organization" (as it is referred to throughout the series, since its name is unknown) covertly pursues Tom in search of the negatives. The series revolves around Veil's attempts to get his life back by trying to find out more about the Organization, while also trying to keep the negative safe."

It was a really intruiging show that made you want to know more about the seemingly deep story. Always the worst kind to get canned.

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The worst part was, it got canned with the most INSANE ending reveal type thing to. That show was going crazy places.

shryke on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Serenity was great ... the only thing that sucked was they killed off two major characters without much repercussion since it was like "hurry danger!" and "happy bittersweet ending".

Over Christmas wife and I watched Firefly (she had never seen it) and Serenity.
    The only thing I really hate was the last episode had a bad guy much too similar to the vastly superior bad guy in the movie.

I would have liked about three episodes inbetween that showed the companion leaving and Book choosing to leave the ship.

useless4 on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's the comic book that bridges that gap actually, it's quite good.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I bet Nielsen hands out boxes to the people who didn't like XYZ in this thread! :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would have liked at least one more season of Fox's X-Men cartoon from the 90's just to get more of the new animation style they used for the last few episodes. I remember thinking "wow, this looks amazing!" and then 2 or 3 episodes later it disappeared into space with Xavier to never return.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bbyzambbyzam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Swat Kats should have MOREEEE!

bbyzam on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved Nowhere Man. It's one of those shows I try to describe to people, and it blows their minds, especially that it ended so fast. If you search a bit, the guy who made the show put up his summary of how the show really ends and what most of the truth really was.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rohan wrote: »

That was kind of the point of the show. The main character is pushed over the edge and climbs his way back.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Oh, speaking of Sci-Fi Shows, anyone remember it's Invisible Man?

I liked that show, but I don't think it got more than one or two seasons.

Is that the one with the snake tattoo and something to do with quicksilver or something?

Because that show was pretty great. The two main characters really made the show with their comraderie and panter and whatnot.

I really liked this show, but sadly its quality did start to decline towards the end of its run. Case in point: The episode where they are attacked by an invisible bigfoot.

Diorinix wrote: »
    I might be a weird one here, but I thought Journeyman should have been given a longer run...but that also was the writers guild strike year.

Not a weird one at all--I absolutely loved what Journeyman was and still feel the bitter sting of its cancellation.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Your title/location reminds me to add another : American version of Life on Mars.

Any show where Albert Wesker performs a Vanilla Ice song for Whoppi Goldberg needs some love.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know, the ABC Life on Mars had a couple of good episodes, but I think the ultimate direction was poor.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I really enjoyed it, then I think I gave up when it went on break and I immediately knew it would be canceled. I own the DVDs, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, Swat Kats was awesome. I remember watching that shit early Saturday mornings on TBS or something, along with Two Stupid Dogs. I was also a fan of Biker Mice from Mars. Anyone remember their SNES racer game? That was fun shit.

My favorite thing about that show was that almost every episode introduced some new crazy type of missile.

Though one thing that bothered me about that show - actually most animated shows in general - is that the animation quality for the show's intro is almost always much better than what the show actually uses. I wonder why this is?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, it has to be the best part. If the intro sucked, people wouldn't stay on to watch the rest of it. Besides, it's, like, twenty seconds of stuff that you're going to see every time you watch the show. As part of the overall development budget, they likely hire out some quality people to make that one sequence, or get the best people on their team to do that bit.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I slip Sliders in if we pretend it was ended in its second season? Because it was nice when it was basically logically inconsistent characters visiting interesting alternate realities, and not so much the interdimensional conquerors and rape camps and body doubles.

More relatedly, I will throw in a vote for Firefly.

And add in a completely random Sonic SatAM. It was drawn well (much better than the other Sonic cartoon on at the time) and had decently interesting characters and a much livelier setting. Plus Urkel's voice. And a sweet opening song.

And then it got canned at the end of its second season (but eventually the (late) screenwriter provided the basic outline of what they had had planned for season 3).

President Rex on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And add in a completely random Sonic SatAM. It was drawn well (much better than the other Sonic cartoon on at the time) and had decently interesting characters and a much livelier setting. Plus Urkel's voice. And a sweet opening song.

And then it got canned at the end of its second season (but eventually the (late) screenwriter provided the basic outline of what they had had planned for season 3).

I thought it was crazy awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jd0UWGPgY

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I slip Sliders in if we pretend it was ended in its second season? Because it was nice when it was basically logically inconsistent characters visiting interesting alternate realities, and not so much the interdimensional conquerors and rape camps and body doubles.

I was a kid when I watched Sliders. It was fun and my parents enjoyed it, too. And then it got grim-dark and raped my childhood. I mean, seriously? You put the female lead character into an actual rape camp where she'd spend the rest of her days? I really liked her, too! I was fucking traumatized after that episode.

The actual story behind that and the show's change is pretty depressing, too.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap. Just read the wiki. I think I only watched the first two seasons cause I don't remember shit getting so dark.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    :?:

Why'd it take such a shift towards the dark?

Leitner on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Executive meddling.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feuding Castmembers. The two female castmembers didnt get along(either Sabrina Lloyd or Kari Whurer was a complete bitch to work with). John Ryhs Davies didn't like the writing and insulted the head of Fox programing. Jerry O'Connell tried to become executive producer(with matching payraise). His brother was cast as a favour to him(and kicked the moment he left).

The Usual

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Which is sad, because Sliders is a kickass concept that should have been a major success. The Family Guy Road to the Multiverse is a riff on the Sliders concept and it rocks.

Sliders is one of those ideas, that should rock beyond belief if handled right.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, it has to be the best part. If the intro sucked, people wouldn't stay on to watch the rest of it. Besides, it's, like, twenty seconds of stuff that you're going to see every time you watch the show. As part of the overall development budget, they likely hire out some quality people to make that one sequence, or get the best people on their team to do that bit.

I know, tangental to the thread, but the WORST OFFENDER EVER when it comes to intro versus show is actually an anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLUD7gEqTA&feature=related
    This was amazingly crafted. Excellent fantasy fare, the elf standing on the pike looked like animated diterlizzi from the planescape days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zi0ZVo8lyo&feature=related
    This is about as good as it ever got.

So fucking low budget and horrible.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...