As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superpower Idol- Superhuman vision/Cold manipulation, Reality warping/Mind control

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The last two superpower-vs.-superpower threads seemed to work well, and I am bored, so we're busting out the bracketology. I have 34 superpowers lined up to go. It would have been 32, but I couldn't make those last two cuts. I was able to make some cuts, but not enough to make a nice, clean 32. So everything that's halfway decent should be here, and if your favorite power is missing, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that you are wrong.

So here's how things will work:
*For as long as we're able to do so (which means up until the final), we'll have two matchups going at once. There will be four poll options (assuming I can get a mod to hook me up with one), containing each of the four possible winner combinations (for matchups of A vs. B and C vs. D, you'd see A/C, A/D, B/C, B/D). This is done to save time.
*Each set of matchups will be considered for about three days. Each matchup, as you'd expect, is calculated individually- if A/C has 10 votes, A/D has 12 votes, B/C has 7 votes and B/D has 2 votes, A beats B 22-9 and C beats D 17-14.
*Each power is considered as a broad category. For 'energy blasts', you're considering everything from Cyclops to Starfire to Jubilee. For 'shapeshifting', think everything from Mr. Fantastic to Mystique to Clayface. And so on.
*When voting, consider whatever the hell you feel like as long as you're considering only the powers given. Consider the science behind each power or write it off as 'it's a comic book, who cares', the havoc you could wreak, downsides, whatever.
*Please don't combine powers when voting. It's just A vs. B and C vs. D, not A and B vs. C and D.

That established, THE BRACKET:

Play-In Round (Salem Center, NY):
Invulnerability 54, duplication 24
Time manipulation 65, invisibility 13

ROUND 1 REGIONALS

Portland, OR regional:
Invulnerability vs. telepathy
Pheromone manipulation vs. flight
Teleportation vs. force fields
Weather manipulation vs. gravity manipulation

New Orleans, LA regional:
Fire/heat manipulation vs. telekinesis
Superhuman senses vs. wallcrawling
Immortality vs. shadow manipulation
Shapeshifting vs. intangibility

Annandale-on-Hudson, NY regional:
Time manipulation vs. electric manipulation
Superhuman vision vs. cold/ice manipulation
Superhuman speed vs. energy blasts
Waterbreathing vs. precognition

Deerfield, IL regional:
Healing vs. air/wind manipulation
Superhuman strength vs. probability manipulation
Superhuman intelligence vs. earth manipulation
Reality warping vs. mind control

(Final 4 is set for Anchorage, AK, in case you were going to ask. Bonus points for naming the hosts of all the regionals, but not too many because only one has any semblance of difficulty to it.)

That said, let's start this and see where things go. We'll start with the Play-In Round, held in Salem Center. Invulnerability vs. duplication, and invisibility vs. time manipulation. You've got three days to vote, approximately, so until Monday night.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Invulnerablity and Time Manipulation

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Duplication. You get to make out with yourself and you'll always have enough players for Double Dash. Being able to play pranks on people is a nice bonus.
    Time manipulation. It's like superspeed and precognition rolled into one. For the bonus: fast-forward your significant other when they're nagging at you.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Invulnerability and Time manipulation.

I am not so wonderful that there must be more of myself. Invisibility blows and time manipulation, provided you don't age when it's stopped, is practically immortality.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    There you go

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Now you have to say I'm the best mod.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks. Irond Will is the best mod.

(And yeah, Monday's the 28th.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Duplication means you can't be killed. One of your copies will go on living,
    like The Prestige
    . Also the making out with yourself thing is cool.

Do... do I have to say Will is the best mod too?

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Couldn't hurt.

I'm just saying.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Where is possesion? Such as I grab somebody, possess their body, and can then carry on until I find somebody else to grab and possess? That's a pretty cool power, but I don't see it up there.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also, I'm going with Duplication and Time Manipulation.

I mean - invulnerability whatever. Duplication could just spawn like fifty copies and throw invulnerability in a trash can and throw it in the ocean.

Time Manipulation can just stop time and be very thorough in looking for invisibility. Or else just go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby and then Invisiblity's grandparents would never had emigrated to America.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Duplication and time manpulation. I'm assuming the Duplication works like Multiple Man's. I could learn every thing ever, and be done in a half second. Plus, I could always have my back in a fight. Best of all, I could become my own voting bloc! How important is wooing RI now, assholes?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wait, is this a Superpower vs Superpower thread, or about the actual heros themselves (re: Irond's post about killing Hitler). If the second, shouldn't this thread get tossed in Graphic Violence along with all the other Batman vs Spiderman vs God threads?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Will is the best mod because he liked the season finale of Heroes and has a refined sense of taste.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I should mention two things:

A) The bracket was constructed randomly. (Though there's a nice Spiderman matchup in the New Orleans regional I see.)
    B) Invulnerability and time manipulation. Who needs to be hidden when conducting your chaotic whims when you can alter time again and again until you get it right. As for the other one, you COULD have clones run around town doing stuff, but I'd rather just have the one me do the most brazen shit and know nobody could beat me up for it. (And with all those duplicates, I might not be able to keep track of them all.)

As for possession, that was one of the last couple I had to cut. Mind control is pretty close, though.

And jmilliken, it is in fact a superpower vs. superpower thread. The characters mentioned are examples.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also, for duplication, do you maintain control over the duplicates, or do they have their own free will? Are we talking Zerg or Sixth Day?

EDIT: I keep thinking of new questions. Do duplicates also have injuries, illnesses, and aging from the original? Can a duplicate be duplicated? Is duplication instant or does it take time? Is it unlimited, or require some energy expenditure?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Your call. Just about every one of that kind of question is answered with "your call". Where are you shooting the energy blasts from? You pick. What kind of shapeshifting? Whatever you want. Do you age with immortality or is it eternal youth? Your call. And so on.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, OK. Then duplication and time manipulation. Freeze time, duplicate infinitely, become your own race. Assuming duplicates are created in good health, you wouldn't have to worry about food, water, or healthcare. Eventually you would be able to research everything needed to whatever you wanted.

EDIT: or just go back in time, don't freeze it, do the same thing. If you went far enough back, you'd have millions of years to do whatever.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, time manipulation to me means I'll have enough time and opportunities to just breed an army. Sure, it'll take some effort but I'm a trooper. So that makes duplication almost redundant.

Therefore, I go with Invulnerability and Time Manipulation. Since my offspring will have the same characteristics, I'll have an army of Invulnerable Time Manipulating brats.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Even Time Manipulation on it's own would be insane. you could simply learn everything there is to know perfectly.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Which is kinda how it's supposed to be here- everything on its own. I'm not really sure how people saw 'time manipulation vs. invisibility' and 'invulnerability vs. duplication' and concluded 'time manipulation combined with duplication'.

Let's make a clarification:

The four combinations are there only to speed the tournament along. You're not supposed to combine the powers. Do that for fun if you want, but don't base your actual vote off of a combination.

Gosling on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can I reabsorb my duplicates? That might make me want it over invulnerability.

Time manipulation for sure though.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can I have clonecest with my duplicates?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alas you fools who turn your noses up at duplication.

fools

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Duplication means you can't be killed. One of your copies will go on living,
    like The Prestige.
    Also the making out with yourself thing is cool.

Do... do I have to say Will is the best mod too?

By the way, you probably want to spoiler this. Had you posted this 24 hours earlier, you would have fucked up that movie for me.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ah, I get it now, I think. Duplication, so long as I can reabsorb. The short lived multiple man comic just made it seem so awesome! Plus, I would be a huge asset on a terraforming expedition. 0-full of human in 10 seconds.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ah, I get it now, I think. Duplication, so long as I can reabsorb. The short lived multiple man comic just made it seem so awesome! Plus, I would be a huge asset on a terraforming expedition. 0-full of human in 10 seconds.

Genetically homogeneous human of a single gender.
    Not that useful for colonization

Feral on

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I went Invuln/Time Manip, which is almost redundant...if you can control time to a strong enough degree, you could pretty much avoid any harm anyway. But they're both wicked cool.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ...oh, wow, I check the scores just now and we got a couple of slaughters on our hands. Less than one day in, invulnerability leads duplication 31-10, and time manipulation is pistol-whipping invisibility 34-7.

Is this what it's like when hawkgirls cry?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fixed, Feral.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited May 2007
    This is a pretty easy one, I gotta say.

I mean, invisibility is cool, because you could touch boobies, or steal shit, but really you could do that with time manipulation as well.

And invulnerability? Not dying is the best power ever. I mean, really, what's the downside? You see all your friends and family pass away while you remain vigorous and time-manipulatey? Fuck them! What did they ever do for you anyway? Uh-huh. That's what I thought. Also, if you've got time-manipulation, you can always just go visit them in the past if you get nostalgic. Then you can remember why you became divorced/estranged from that person in the first place, and return to the future and your buxom love-android.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man.

Duplication is awesome.

But Array's version from Gold Digger is the best: You make "duplicates," but they're not clones, but rather new people, with whichever abilities you want to give them (within a certain power limitation) and their own personalities, which can be reabsorbed when no longer needed. Sure, you get multiple personalities, but they all love you anyways, so you're a walking party.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Frankly while I understand the merits of invulnerability Time Manipulation and Duplication seem to trump it for me. I skipped whatever post explained how powerful both abilities are so I'm assuming they range anywhere from weak to extraordinary. Depending on how powerful both abilities are you could conceivably rob an entire town instantly. If you have to go anywhere dangerous send an entire army to scope out the situation while time is stopped. Keep lookouts and bodyguards posted at all times and if danger presents itself stop time and start kicking ass. A major flaw of duplication I can see is if you are only able to make naked copies of yourself. I'd grow my nails out to sharp points and wear gloves to conceil it. Of course with time stopped the copies could just arm themselves with whatever they could pick up or they might not depending on what time stop rules that are in place; hence the razor sharp finger nails.

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Time manipulation wins.

Duplication is useless if you have time manipulation. You can just go forward and back again and get as many of you as you need at any given time.

Invisibility is useless for anything but parlour tricks, pranks and voyeurism.

Invincibility is more useful than these two, therefore I pick it with Time Manipulation.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I went with invisibility/invincibility.

Because it would be cool to hunt Osama Bin Laden.

Shinto on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I went with invisibility/invincibility.

Because it would be cool to hunt Osama Bin Laden.
    You could do that much more easily with time manipulation. Just go to a place you know he's been, then go back to when he was there, then shoot.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Aemilius, I believe you're confusing invulnerability with immortality. Immortality will come later on. (How much later I'm not sure, because I might not put up pairings in the order seen on the bracket; I might just do them according to whatever I want to see go up at the moment.)

Gosling on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To me, invulnerability seems like a best supercharged version of immortality. If you're truly invulnerable you can't die or even get old because if you could, then you'd be vulnerable to the natural processes of aging and death.

Grid System on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How often would invulnerability be useful? I'd use duplication every day.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Okay, let me give a ruling so we can separate the two:

*Invulnerability- people can smack the shit out of you and you don't go down. You can die from stuff like cancer or diabetes or something, but nobody's going to lop your head off or anything.
    *Immortality- you don't die. You might get into a Mr. Freeze-in-Batman-Beyond situation where you're a disembodied head forever, but you don't die.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Time Manipulation is a no-brainer over Invisibility. There's no point in being invisible if you can just do stuff while time is frozen.

Invulnerability vs. Duplication is a tougher call. It depends a lot on the functionality of the duplicates. Is it a perfect clone right down to behavior? Can I make them as backups in case I'm killed or injured? Can I absorb their experiences if I send them to do stuff? If we assume I have complete control then I'll take that, I can use it to avoid death and it has so many other applications to boot.
    Richy wrote: »
    Time manipulation wins.

Duplication is useless if you have time manipulation. You can just go forward and back again and get as many of you as you need at any given time.

Invisibility is useless for anything but parlour tricks, pranks and voyeurism.

Invincibility is more useful than these two, therefore I pick it with Time Manipulation.

You can't have two powers at the same time. It's two separate polls.

Zek on
This discussion has been closed.