As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo announces DS successor... IN 3D?!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    sighing so hard over this region locking stuff. i want love plus :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Has anyone discovered THIS yet?

This Scandinavian retailer has a pretty good record of predicting prices for new hardware. They had the european price for the Kinect spot on way before it was confirmed by Microsoft.

You are able to preorder it at their site for 1999 Danish Kroner which converts to £225 or $350.
    That US price should say something about how expensive it is to be a gamer in Europe :P
    But the Wii launched at $400 here, so that should give you something to compare the price with.

Oh! And the release-date seems to be 31/3

CDON.com just changed the release date to march 25, but the price has not changed. Guess it'll be around £225

2000 dkk is around what I was expecting. In case anyone cares, the Wii launched at 2200 dkk here in Denmark.

Now I'll just have to wait and see if Gamestop is going to do a fair trade in deal. If not, I'll just order it online.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Is that confirmed now? Fuck.

I really, really hope they release everything here in Europe..

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Same. Gundam 3D Battle & Time Travelers look good.

Add that to the fact that I may be spending a lot of time in Japan soon, and the region-locking becomes very annoying.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Region locking is confirmed, although I heard that it is not mandatory (ie publishers can decide to release region free versions of games if they like, much like the 360 and PS3).

LewieP on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Super Street Fighter IV confirmed for 3DS NA launch by Joystiq.

w00t I say.
    Oh Capcom, you always know how to get my money.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Region locking is confirmed, although I heard that it is not mandatory (ie publishers can decide to release region free versions of games if they like, much like the 360 and PS3).

Link?

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I must have missed this, from the Euro press release:
    The SpotPass feature can connect to compatible public hotspots and through a wireless broadband Internet connection at home, even if the system is in Sleep Mode. Once connected, the Nintendo 3DS system will receive new content and updates on a regular basis.

Nintendo of Europe has partnered with a number of organisations to deliver this content including Eurosport, Europe’s leading sports entertainment group, to bring engaging 3D sports video to the Nintendo 3DS, and Aardman Animations to provide a series of original Shaun the Sheep short movies in 3D. Nintendo is also in discussion with partners at a country level; in the UK for instance, Nintendo has partnered with British Sky Broadcasting to provide short-form content from Sky 3D to Nintendo 3DS.

To ensure broad access to compatible public hotspots, Nintendo of Europe are in contact with a number of potential partners across Europe including tmn, METEOR, Guglielmo, Linkem, KPN, Deutsche Telekom and BTFON.

Also:
    With Nintendo 3DS Sound, users can enjoy sound-manipulation tools or enjoy listening to their MP3 or AAC music files.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So which colour is the sexiest? Thinking of going red this time.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn, I can't afford $250 at all, and a list of games that is mostly ports or franchise standards isn't inspiring me to consider it.

I'll probably wait till this sucker is $150 or so, in what I'm sure will be 3-4 years.

I'm kind of bummed out by this news, because it's nintendo sort of falling onto the wagon that I was always glad they stayed off of. I liked the low prices for a machine that just played quality games. Having a handheld that costs what your current console did at launch feels somewhat ridiculous. Also, I'm wondering how consumers will respond.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So which colour is the sexiest? Thinking of going red this time.

Unfortunately the only launch colors are blue and black.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Damn, I can't afford $250 at all, and a list of games that is mostly ports or franchise standards isn't inspiring me to consider it.

I'll probably wait till this sucker is $150 or so, in what I'm sure will be 3-4 years.

I'm kind of bummed out by this news, because it's nintendo sort of falling onto the wagon that I was always glad they stayed off of. I liked the low prices for a machine that just played quality games. Having a handheld that costs what your current console did at launch feels somewhat ridiculous. Also, I'm wondering how consumers will respond.

Even if the response is anemic, 4 million consoles worldwide means instant shortages.

People paid $250 for the PSP on the promise of pretty graphics. They'll probably pay for the 3DS enough to burn through that 4 mil. The cool kids get 3DSs. They show their friends. Word of mouth spreads. Christmastime? 3DS firestorm.

The question is what Sony will bring to the table and when. They have a chance to catch something but their product needs to be out this year. With awesome games at an awesome price.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    maybe their smart move is to not go against the 3DS, and wait until launch and hype and omg omg omg is over before announcing anything or launching anything? sounds like a smart move i think?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Even if the response is anemic, 4 million consoles worldwide means instant shortages.

People paid $250 for the PSP on the promise of pretty graphics. They'll probably pay for the 3DS enough to burn through that 4 mil. The cool kids get 3DSs. They show their friends. Word of mouth spreads. Christmastime? 3DS firestorm.

The question is what Sony will bring to the table and when. They have a chance to catch something but their product needs to be out this year. With awesome games at an awesome prices.

Yeah, I do agree that Sony really has a chance to compete this time.

Also, I've really been weary of the whole 3D gimmick, as well as even bringing back the dual screen format that was honestly rarely used for anything important last gen. The DS was awesome because it was affordable and had a parade of great games, including a bunch of unique IPs like Professor Layton. So far, neither one of those things is really happening here, so I'm not really feeling it yet.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The question is what Sony will bring to the table and when. They have a chance to catch something but their product needs to be out this year. With awesome games at an awesome prices.

with the 3DS priced as high as it is, i have no idea how sony is going to package a miniaturized ps3 into a portable and sell it at a reasonable price.

with the 3DS, i think the the 3D is as much of a hook for developers as it is for consumers. Devs seem really excited to make games for the device, and where the games are, that's where the gamers will be. Whether the thing will be able to emulate DS numbers or not is uncertain, but I think it's safe to say

1. The initial 4 mil shipment is going to sell out quick
    2. The 3DS will dominate the 2011 holiday season
    3. Developers have shown up in for force to support the device

in the end, i don't see how gamers don't end up coming out on top, even if the price of entry is kind of steep. the company this hurts the most is probably nintendo if they can't reach the same numbers they did with the DS

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    maybe their smart move is to not go against the 3DS, and wait until launch and hype and omg omg omg is over before announcing anything or launching anything? sounds like a smart move i think?

A Bloomberg source said they're planning to unveil it at an event on January 27. *shrug*

Well like I said earlier, there are now a lot more consumer electronics to compare it to on price, and it's cheaper than many of them. The PSP launched at this price too with a fraction of the features, and that's not even taking inflation into account.

The GB was $90, GBA was $100, DS was $150 and so on. Prices go up; this is undeniably a jump but I think they've justified it pretty well.

@Guek: also, devs are finally realizing that more powerful consoles are really expensive to develop for. There have been a lot of stories recently about devs begging console makers to stay with this generation as long as possible. Will they want to spend as much as they do to make a PS3 game for a handheld, or will they go with the cheaper option?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, but like I said, I will never use any of those features, and a lot of the time the feel quite gimped. The PSP always felt like a failure as a media player to me, and so to this day I regret getting one because the games ended up being very generic and few and far between.

I'm kind of getting the same vibe from this, honestly. I'm just sort of angry that these companies are putting in all these features I will never use so they can charge me twice the price (3DS)/keep prices from ever declining (Apple's iPod lines).

I just want to play games/listen to music. I don't care about that other shit.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also I'm glad they brought back the whole "dual screen gimmick" because it means backwards compatibility. I may have more DS games than I do for any other console.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One thing people are seriously forgetting is just how much devaluation the dollar has experienced in the past few years and even more worrysome the cost of basic durable goods and fuel.

I'm frankly surprised this thing isn't 300.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    UKers:
    Nintendo 3DS + Super Monkey Ball 3D – £217.91 delivered

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

If they wait, the battle will be over. iOS is already out there. Android is coming up next. That last spot will be taken by a dedicated game console.

Sony needs something more than graphics. The market has spoken. Graphics don't matter. It needs a device that needs to stand toe-to-toe with iOS and the 3DS at a competitive price. The 3DS has it's hook. iOS is everywhere.

I have no clue what Sony could bring to the table, but they need to do it quick.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm surprised at the $250 price. I thought for sure it would be $300.

And I'm upset at the release date because I can't buy one until November :(

Oh well I suppose the shop and DSiWare transfer will be functional by then. I may even get another colour choice.... but still, it's going to be hard to wait.

Taya on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The DS itself was a crazy slow burn at the beginning; it suffered from an abysmal launch lineup and took almost a full year to really start building up momentum. The summer of 05, I think, when they had just rolled out Kirby Canvas Curse and Meteos (which is when I bought my DS) and were just about to launch Advance Wars DS and Nintendogs, was when it really started picking up steam.

I can see a similar setup with the 3DS, with the benefit being that a massive number of Japanese developers have already swung early support onto the system. Yep, we've got our checklist of requisite launch-lineup ports, but I think the fact that devs are willing to put their more well-known franchises on their from the get-go is promising. The DS was a fantastic breeding ground for Eastern third-parties (and Western devs, by and large, really don't give a shit about handhelds anyway)—and they know this, so they're far more willing to go all-in with the 3DS early on.

It's still buying something on the premise of potential versus what it actually has right now, but I feel much more comfortable with my bet now than, say, if I had bought the original DS at launch.
    One thing people are seriously forgetting is just how much devaluation the dollar has experienced in the past few years and even more worrysome the cost of basic durable goods and fuel.

I'm frankly surprised this thing isn't 300.

It was mostly the economics of the weak dollar that was pushing me into betting on a higher price point. Still, you have to admit that all of the $300 price rumors have done a rather good job of making more people feel like "Wow, $250 is actually pretty inexpensive!" :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got an e-mail from my boss over at Amsterdam, he got the word straight from Nintendo that Samus is a playable character in DOA.

Kind of already figured that, but confirmation is confirmation.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I remember the games I played early in the DS's life. Feel the Magic, Rayman, Yoshi Touch and Go, Lunar Dragon Song, Puyo Pop, Mr Driller.... those were the days.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Zoo Keeper, Pac Pix, Sprung.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I bought my DS Phat on eBay mostly for Kirby and Meteos, but I had a lot of fun with Feel the Magic and Yoshi Touch & Go. The latter was a really underrated game; it felt like a tech demo at first, but after playing it for a while it really became a complex, enjoyable arcade experience.

I feel like Steel Diver might be another one of those kinds of games; I've been hearing a lot of good buzz about it, and I only played it for a few minutes but it felt very polished (and used 3-D really, really well). I'm still not sure what I'd buy right at launch, but I definitely want Kid Icarus when it becomes available, and either SSFIV or DoA, depending on how they turn out.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just saw their Dragon-Card AR game on Kotaku, and wow, I am impressed. The fact that you can move the console around the table and see the back of the creature is really neat.

Ideally, Imagine if this takes off to the level of the DS, by which I mean everyone has one. You could have ads that pop out like that, or some kinda Citywide game where you have to actually hunt down spots. With the Gyroscope, hotspot locations and the Pedometer (I know, a frelling step-counter? Why?) things could be very interesting. In any case, it'll be a very interesting piece of tech, and I can't want to get my hands on one to try it out.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got an e-mail from my boss over at Amsterdam, he got the word straight from Nintendo that Samus is a playable character in DOA.

Whoa whoa whoa, wait? Would Nintendo really allow this sort of thing? Wasn't Nintendo the one that tried to shut down Suicide Girls for having a Nintendo character or tatoo or something on one of the girls? I can't imagine them allowing Samus to get a DOA treatment..

Considering Nintendo was taking an incredible hit to their profits due to the Yen/Dollar conversion, I'm not entirely surprised by the $250 price point. They probably were hoping to go with $200, but with the economy going the way it did and 3D becoming the new "hot thing" for all the TV companies, they probably felt they had to release this now and they had to price it a bit higher to weaken the blow from Yen/Dollar issues. That said, I'm either buying one at launch or getting one for my birthday in June. Depending on what the wife says. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, but like I said, I will never use any of those features, and a lot of the time the feel quite gimped. The PSP always felt like a failure as a media player to me, and so to this day I regret getting one because the games ended up being very generic and few and far between.

I'm kind of getting the same vibe from this, honestly. I'm just sort of angry that these companies are putting in all these features I will never use so they can charge me twice the price (3DS)/keep prices from ever declining (Apple's iPod lines).

I just want to play games/listen to music. I don't care about that other shit.

yeah, the cameras/augmented reality thing is dumb and just meant to drive up the cost. I'm with you on this.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think there's a reason Nintendo priced the 3DS at $250. Think about it, lets say the PSP2 comes out and matches/is a bit higher. Nintendo could easily drop the price and out maneuver the PSP2.

They have an advantage, but I still don't think they should count this as won yet. Not until a year or so after both release, anyway.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Zoo Keeper, Pac Pix, Sprung.
    :o

I enjoyed Sprung, I don't care what anybody says.

Pac Pix and Yoshi Touch and Go are good games, but they are very arcadey. It feels like the first year or two of the DS was a completely different system than current DS.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Ideally, Imagine if this takes off to the level of the DS, by which I mean everyone has one. You could have ads that pop out like that, or some kinda Citywide game where you have to actually hunt down spots. With the Gyroscope, hotspot locations and the Pedometer (I know, a frelling step-counter? Why?) things could be very interesting. In any case, it'll be a very interesting piece of tech, and I can't want to get my hands on one to try it out.
    That would be neat, program it to recognize the patterns on buildings, give rewards for having been to certain locations and seen the crazy 3D effects with monsters blasting out the side of Wal-Mart or whatever.
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Whoa whoa whoa, wait? Would Nintendo really allow this sort of thing? Wasn't Nintendo the one that tried to shut down Suicide Girls for having a Nintendo character or tatoo or something on one of the girls? I can't imagine them allowing Samus to get a DOA treatment..

It's not unprecedented for DOA, this is the series that previously had a Spartan in it. And Nintendo has had its characters in a few non-Nintendo games, including one of the snowboarding games.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I also enjoyed Sprung.

Well, enjoyed picking up a new "game" for a dollar and completely beating it in less than two hours.

Feel the Magic was my favorite of the tech demo-y games.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's not unprecedented for DOA, this is the series that previously had a Spartan in it. And Nintendo has had its characters in a few non-Nintendo games, including one of the snowboarding games.

I'm not saying I'm surprised the series is doing it, I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing it. If this were Soul Calibur or Street Fighter or something, no problem, but DOA has a 'reputation'.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really liking the possibilities for AR. As a more basic function, could it work similarly to how those pixel-looking codes for phones work to give you special URLs for free downloads? That would be kinda cool to have something on a poster get all animated and then present you with something free.

Mystic Terrapin on
    Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I'll be able to avoid the temptation of getting one at launch after looking at the launch window stuff. No way I'm sticking with you guys waiting for a huge price drop. When I do get one I'm sure it'll still be $250. By the way, any mention on the Internets in regards to Canadian pricing? I'm guessing $279.

Also hah to all you who said $300.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm not saying I'm surprised the series is doing it, I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing it. If this were Soul Calibur or Street Fighter or something, no problem, but DOA has a 'reputation'.

When did you last look at Soul Calibur?

I guess they could have Samus be in armor at all times.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    I think I'll be able to avoid the temptation of getting one at launch after looking at the launch window stuff. No way I'm sticking with you guys waiting for a huge price drop. When I do get one I'm sure it'll still be $250. By the way, any mention on the Internets in regards to Canadian pricing? I'm guessing $279.

Also hah to all you who said $300.

Gamestop Canada has it listed at $250.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dear god I hope Nintendo doesn't go with reaction shots for the NA commercials. They've got some on the 3DS site.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo