Options

Longhorn Reloaded - Free Windows?

DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, the first time I tried this, I lost my connection. I'm not sure of the legality of this, if it isn't alright, mods - please delete.

So, as we all know Microsoft scrapped some Longhorn features and abandoned some of their builds. So some people are now working to finish what Microsoft started.

Check this out: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Longhorn-Resurrected-and-Available-for-Download-55624.shtml

According to Wikipedia, the build of Longhorn, as well as the serial number are now public domain since Vista has seen it's release.

Some features have been readded it seems, like WinFS and the original Onyx interface. So my question is what can/will Microsoft do about this, there's no way this could be legal could it? Even if it really is public domain? Discuss.

Edit: Project Website: http://snip.org/

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
DHS Odium on

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Microsoft pretty much owns all their code, even the scrapped stuff. Where'd these guys get the source? Are they MS employees?

Frem on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Frem wrote: »
    Microsoft pretty much owns all their code, even the scrapped stuff. Where'd these guys get the source? Are they MS employees?

Yeah I've been trying to get more info about this. They don't seem to be former MS employees. As far as I can tell, they don't have access to the source code, but since it was a scrapped alpha version of Longhorn, it should be legal to use it along with the key, since Vista is now released.

It seems these guys are just using this version of longhorn, and added functionality back in through their own drivers/patches/software to make it usable?

Could MS shut this down though? I mean, people can freely make their own patches or drivers for Vista, this is the same thing, but with an unsupported, unreleased MS OS that should be entirely legal for people to install and use.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is bizarre.

rayofash on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, but I don't really think they can legally do this. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft shuts them down soon.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't understand how they could invest the time and effort into this and expect it to go unchallenged by the legal behemoth that is Microsoft's lawyer tonne of bricks. To the point where they have announced they are working on the mark 2 release...

There has to be something missing in this story, or they're completely removed from reality.

devoir on
  • Options
    PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No Microsoft will wait till they've made heaps of progress and the program is looking quite promising, and THEN shut it down, ala that Halo RTS.

But yeah, pretty sure this is fairly illegal. Why do intelligent people try this sort of stuff? It seems like a waste of time.

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This is their reasoning: http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3858

They can not be serious.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    They... they don't really sound like smart people in that thread. I feel like I just read a GameFAQs messageboard... a Final Fantasy GameFAQs messageboard.

devoir on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, the build of Longhorn, as well as the serial number are now public domain since Vista has seen it's release.

Copyright doesn't work that way, and I can't see where in Wikipedia you're getting this from.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In a sense they are right.

M$ isn't going to come after them unless they get a lot more attention than this. Its just not worth M$'s time.

On the other hand, I don't think that Longhorn falls into the abandonware category.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    They... they don't really sound like smart people in that thread. I feel like I just read a GameFAQs messageboard... a Final Fantasy GameFAQs messageboard.

I know, the only thing I could think of while reading that was, "these guys are the ones doing this? They're idiots, this can't be real".

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, no.

This can't be legal. A leaked operating system beta doesn't become 'abandonware' just because the final release is out, and it especially doesn't mean these guys are free to distribute it without consent. They might consider it such, but I guarantee Microsoft doesn't.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm pretty sure that MS could load up a simple cease and desist, especially after the expiration of the Longhorn community release (June 2007?). At that point if they're distributing a modified version of the software that explicitly circumvents the built in protection against further use past the clearly defined 'use-by-date', it's a slam dunk case that I really see no argument against.

They seem to be floating past on the "well, we're being ignored so we're in the right" attitude. I'm sure a simple letter would sink that little red boat.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    On second thought I'm not going to lock this, we can still discuss the implications of this and how cool it'd be to have Longhorn released with all of it's original features intact.

Just don't link to any sites that include a download, such as the project's site.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Isn't Longhorn Server meant to have most of the server-orientated features that were pulled from Vista?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I believe all of the 'Longhorn' named releases, except maybe the absolute latest ones, have the features that were pulled from Vista. But they weren't really complete, or else they'd have stayed in the OS.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What's the difference between Longhorn and Vista?

rayofash on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the only legal Windows-compatible OS is ReactOS, which looks like it could have real potential.

Kriz on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Kriz wrote: »
    the only legal Windows-compatible OS is ReactOS, which looks like it could have real potential.

I heard that with every new release, an angel gets it's wings.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

Longhorn was the base development prototype, I believe. You essentially have a base which is then built upon/altered to fit the needs of the platform it is meant to target.

So Longhorn becomes Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Home Server, etc.

devoir on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wtf. how can these guys possibly think they can get away with this. that is not even close to the longhorn 4074 build(I actually tested it). hell, THEY EVEN USE THE FUCKING VISTA ICONS.

And "longhorn /= vista" is idiotic. longhorn was the development name of vista. just because they pulled some features from it doesn't mean they don't still own that.

This is the stupidest thing that I have heard of this week.

As for how cool it will be to have what was promised to us in the early builds of longhorn in a full release, wait for Vista SP2, MS has said they want to eventually get all of the features into vista, just not right now.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Longhorn was the base development prototype, I believe. You essentially have a base which is then built upon/altered to fit the needs of the platform it is meant to target.

So Longhorn becomes Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Home Server, etc.

Actually, to nit-pick just a little bit, Windows Home Server is actually a slightly modified version of Server 2003 Small Business. In the beta 2 release you can actually see lots of refrences to small business server in it, including it named as such in a few places.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kriz wrote: »

I heard that with every new release, an angel gets it's wings.

Soon we shall be free from Microsoft's tyranny!

Once it's stable, I imagine it will very useful for simple everyday tasks, and should be able to run on really old computers.

Kriz on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Actually, to nit-pick just a little bit, Windows Home Server is actually a slightly modified version of Server 2003 Small Business. In the beta 2 release you can actually see lots of refrences to small business server in it, including it named as such in a few places.

Cool, I didn't know that. I wasn't 100% sure, especially considering the timeline for the two products (Longhorn and WHS).

Impressions of WHS?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Longhorn and Vista are very very different. It wasn't just a bunch of features taken out, it was a complete rebuild. They scrapped Longhorn (which was built off of Windows XP) and then started over using the Windows Server 2003 source.

Longhorn was going to be a whole new Windows. Backwards compatibility was going to dropped in favor of WinFS, which was going to be the primary file system (it was a SQL database on top of NTFS). Vista didn't have any of this.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Cool, I didn't know that. I wasn't 100% sure, especially considering the timeline for the two products (Longhorn and WHS).

Impressions of WHS?

Pretty nice for a family with no IT member on staff ;) I actually really like it. easy to use gui to set up the backups, monitor other machines, manage shares and such. adding storage is stupid easy. install a HDD(or add a usb or firewire drive), go into the gui console, and click "add" it just puts all of your drives into a pool of space for storage. Only a 10GB partition for the actual OS, which I find a bit tight, and you couldn't change that in the beta 2 install, which dissapointed me.

and, if you want, remote desktop into it and it has full win2k3 server functionality. like, everything. Some stuff you do have to install manually after(hence why 10GB can be limiting), but it's all there. the first thing I did was remote desktop in and set up my FTP server in IIS.

If I wasn't planning on migrating myself and my parents to Macs within a couple years, I'd totally buy a good one when they come out.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Longhorn and Vista are very very different. It wasn't just a bunch of features taken out, it was a complete rebuild. They scrapped Longhorn (which was built off of Windows XP) and then started over using the Windows Server 2003 source.

Longhorn was going to be a whole new Windows. Backwards compatibility was going to dropped in favor of WinFS, which was going to be the primary file system (it was a SQL database on top of NTFS). Vista didn't have any of this.

hmmm, an alpha version ends up very different than the final version......what a concept.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

hmmm, an alpha version ends up very different than the final version......what a concept.

Yea?

rayofash on
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Will Vista ever receive WinFS? Did Microsoft ever say what is going to happen to WinFS?

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Looks like a crappier version of Vista, by those screens anyways. Anyone install it?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

Will Vista ever receive WinFS? Did Microsoft ever say what is going to happen to WinFS?

I think they said they plan on using it in future operating systems.
    Looks like a crappier version of Vista, by those screens anyways. Anyone install it?

I would, but I'm afraid of what Microsoft would do to my system if they figured out I installed it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pretty nice for a family with no IT member on staff ;) I actually really like it. easy to use gui to set up the backups, monitor other machines, manage shares and such. adding storage is stupid easy. install a HDD(or add a usb or firewire drive), go into the gui console, and click "add" it just puts all of your drives into a pool of space for storage. Only a 10GB partition for the actual OS, which I find a bit tight, and you couldn't change that in the beta 2 install, which dissapointed me.

and, if you want, remote desktop into it and it has full win2k3 server functionality. like, everything. Some stuff you do have to install manually after(hence why 10GB can be limiting), but it's all there. the first thing I did was remote desktop in and set up my FTP server in IIS.

If I wasn't planning on migrating myself and my parents to Macs within a couple years, I'd totally buy a good one when they come out.

That's pretty sweet. I've toyed with the idea (even bought some second hand hardware from a friend) to just whack up a FreeBSD box to act as a file server at home, but to be honest, I know my Windows shit and I work with it 10 hours a day, so I'd be more comfortable with a Microsoft product which integrates with my Windows desktop and Windows notebook well (and hopefully my Xbox 360!).

Is there any data redundancy? I heard something about it using some kind of software doodling that essentially gave you RAID5-style failure threshold, but never heard anything else about it.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

I heard that it's in the pipeline for the second service pack, around the time that it hits the server product in the boxed form. But as to how they're going to convert the file system, etc... I can't imagine that it's going to be as easy as FAT32 to NTFS, at least from the programmer point of view.

devoir on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Who would want to use this anyway? You won't be able to update anything, and probably can't play games on it. Plus its going to have all kinds of security holes... you'd probably get all kinds of nasty viruses just trying to surf the web.

Just get Linux?

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Obnoxious geek e-peen.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Obnoxious geek e-peen.

Where?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That's pretty sweet. I've toyed with the idea (even bought some second hand hardware from a friend) to just whack up a FreeBSD box to act as a file server at home, but to be honest, I know my Windows shit and I work with it 10 hours a day, so I'd be more comfortable with a Microsoft product which integrates with my Windows desktop and Windows notebook well (and hopefully my Xbox 360!).

Is there any data redundancy? I heard something about it using some kind of software doodling that essentially gave you RAID5-style failure threshold, but never heard anything else about it.

ya, there is redundancy. if you turn it on, and you have 2 or more HDD's, it will put one copy of each file on 2 HDD's. it's all software based, but it's so seamless, with a mouse click you could backup the entire server storage system. There's also a nice chart and info screen that tells you exactly how much space is being used by file shares, PC backups, and redundant data.

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention that it does incrimental backups of each pc every night(or at a schedule of your choosing), and you can choose how long to keep the backups.

---

As for WinFS, MS has stated that it will make it into Server 2008 at some point(probably SP1), and Vista too(probably SP2 if I were to guess). You'll probably have to do some kind of add in on the install if you have vista now(either slipstream the disc or a thumb drive, or something), but they plan to put it in.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, has anything termed 'abandonware' been legal anywhere, ever?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, has anything termed 'abandonware' been legal anywhere, ever?
    There are some instances where the creators have declared it freely distributable after fans asked them to, but there aren't a whole lot of them. Legal Abandonware

Frem on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    No Microsoft will wait till they've made heaps of progress and the program is looking quite promising, and THEN shut it down, ala that Halo RTS.

To be fair it was because MS was actually making a Halo RTS, and that Generals mod hadn't been updated in months when they got the C&D

FyreWulff on