As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Football practices started on Wednesday and they are hellish so far. Today we practiced for two hours and then did conditioning for another full hour after that. Ran ladders, ran a mile, held a squat position for...a long time, more 40 yard sprints, more squats, pushups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, bear crawls...

My whole body freakin' hates me right now.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That sounds like death, but is truly awesome. After I played ball in high school, I did not feel conditioned or strong, but looking back, I was beastly and didn't realize it.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pro: Making new PB's on Squat, Bench and Deadlifts!

Con: Doing it an hour before I had to go to work. I'm there now and I swear I look like a newborn giraffe or something when I walk, legs all over the damned place.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    started kickboxing this week after a couple years off of martial arts because of being too broke to afford it.

first class was on tuesday, i made it 30 minutes then i went to the bathroom and vomited up my chipotle lunch. rested in the bathroom for about 5 minutes, went back out and finished up the hour.

thursday was better, made it through the whole class without break, but i had to do knee push ups and the like during the last half of class.

saturday was a bit better too. hopefully by the end of february ill be somewhat caught up on my initial fitness shock after not doing anything for years.

but yeah, my entire body hurts, and i just sneezed and fuuuck it hurts i think i might have pulled a muscle

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Today's the day I bench my weight for the first time since high school (12-15 years) after working up to it for a month or two. Two years ago in May I quit WoW weighing 210 pounds and unable to do 10 pushups. A big day for me.

/self-satisfied
    Now I just play WoW and do pushups during long in-game flights. :P

Huxley on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nogs, I'm with you. My gym offers a TRX class I tried out for the first time last Monday. I nearly lost my shit 30 minutes into the hour, then I couldn't walk for three days. I walked out saying there's no way in hell I was ever going back. Two hours later all I could think about was doing it again.

Huxley on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hear ya on that, I started muay thai last month, really really tough conditioning. Very cool though as it kinda showed weaknesses in what I had been doing for both flexibility and strength training.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What stuff can I do to work my fore arms on a resistance machine/resistance band?

I just started using a resistance machine, I'm just kind of putting the two pulleys in different directions, going into lunge formation, and pressing in toward my chest. I'm not really sure what all that is working.

iowa on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oi, resistance machine? Try and simulate doing Bumbbell Wrist Curls, both palms up and down.

Linksville on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iowa wrote: »
    What stuff can I do to work my fore arms on a resistance machine/resistance band?

I just started using a resistance machine, I'm just kind of putting the two pulleys in different directions, going into lunge formation, and pressing in toward my chest. I'm not really sure what all that is working.

There are a staggering number of things in this post that we could be dicks about, so apologies now if some of the responses have an odd tone.

When you say forearms, do you literally mean the area between your wrists and elbows? Because a pulley machine's an odd choice for that and there aren't many exercises that work only that area in the first place. Do you have any kind of routine, other exercises you're doing perhaps?

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Peen wrote: »

There are a staggering number of things in this post that we could be dicks about, so apologies now if some of the responses have an odd tone.

When you say forearms, do you literally mean the area between your wrists and elbows? Because a pulley machine's an odd choice for that and there aren't many exercises that work only that area in the first place. Do you have any kind of routine, other exercises you're doing perhaps?

I do squats, pull ups, knuckle push ups, bench presses, arnold presses, dumbell presses.

I guess I don't know what even works the fore arms. Yes I mean the area between wrist and elbow. I'm guessing that dumb bell curls would be working those?

I just started using the resistance machine because it feels really good to work with.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Most everything that you do with your arms is going to work your forearms too. I know wrist curls and reverse barbell curls have been suggested before as good ways to add forearm mass.

Peen on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fuck that shit off, and get some grippers. Alternately, become a mechanic, or baker.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Most everything that you do with your arms is going to work your forearms too. I know wrist curls and reverse barbell curls have been suggested before as good ways to add forearm mass.

that's what I needed, thanks.

iowa on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fuck that shit off, and get some grippers. Alternately, become a mechanic, or baker.

If curls get the girls and traps catch bears, does kneading dough get the hos?

Jyardana on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can I ask why you feel it is necessary to work your forearms?

Blake T on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cartoon-character-popeye.jpg

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gah, I have to deadlift 405 for 3 sets of 3 tomorrow... this is gonna blow. I did 385 for 3 last week and it was pretty damn hard...

Why do I suck so much at deadlifts? Tomorrow will be a good day to get some video, I'll post it here and we'll see what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011

The only things you'll find outside of targeted exercises that'll work your forearms will be various pulling exercises, mostly deadlifts. I don't think there are really any arm exercises that'll translate over to forearms other than some tricep-specific rows. I'd also suggest farmer's walks for grip/forearms.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shameless product placement plug here. If you want an extra little help with forearms get a set of fat gripz.

http://www.fatgripz.com/

They're very cheap for what they do and well made.

That said, the BEST things for forearms are deadlifts and pull ups I'm sure. The Fatgripz just give a lot of other things a bit more forearm/grip work.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you really want to work your forearms, take up rock climbing

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys I came across a mobility focused site. For those who are interested:

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Joe Chemo wrote: »

Fantastic find, bookmarked. Thanks Joe.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joe Chemo wrote: »

Fantastic find, bookmarked. Thanks Joe.

Thanks Joe!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    rock climbing would be awesome if I wasn't constantly afraid of falling and dying

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    but

unless you were lead or free climbing you would only fall like a couple feet

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should show Tommy my arm. I had a small fall on the weekend and my arm looks pretty gnarly.

Blake T on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If you want to increase forearm size (probably one of the most genetically influenced muscle groups after calf muscles), you should be doing farmer's walks.

Docken on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I'm trying to clean up my terrible bulking diet. At the moment, my "diet" consists predominately of 3-4k calories a day of hamburgers + whatever amount of a gallon of milk I can drink. Awful, I know.

But if I go the 'slab of meat + cup of veggies' route, where should my carbs be coming from? Oatmeal? Brown rice?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    fruit?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I didn't know Ronnie Coleman is a cop

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oatmeal and brown rice sound good to me even though i dont really eat much of either

and sweet potatos ham
    cut em into fries and bake them with some olive oil and salt and pepper and maybe some cinnamon and they are heaven

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, I'm finally back into lifting, for the first time in like 6 months. Did squats yesterday and am now sore as hell. It's hard to gauge where to start again after a break like that.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeez, day one of whole milk errday bulk diet. Whole milk is tasty stuff but good lord did I underestimate how filling it'd be. I just hope this translates into weight going up easier.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that mobility link has some interesting looking things

especially those things about knee pain

i wonder if those would help me out

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gentlemen, I have an announcement.

Today, I deadlifted 500 lbs.

I WISH I had recorded it, it was a great lift! Form felt perfect, didn't cheat at all, just a clean pull. Held it at the top like Konstantinov for what felt like 10 seconds but was probably only 4. Feelin' like a boss.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »

I WISH I had recorded it, it was a great lift! Form felt perfect, didn't cheat at all, just a clean pull. Held it at the top like Konstantinov for what felt like 10 seconds but was probably only 4. Feelin' like a boss.

Way to go!

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Congrats man, that's awesome!

Peen on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »

Good job sir! Since you couldn't get a video, I got one for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv57O53Jgk

Hoorah, I don't squat more than I deadlift anymore. They're both the same again. My hips didn't rise before the bar left the floor. It felt good off the ground. My upper back was a bit rounded, hard to tell from that angle. I can't really see much wrong with it. What do you guys think?

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Looks rock solid to me bruce, I mean if you're really worried you could take the next vid from the side so we can see your whole profile but I couldn't see a bit wrong with those and on an upper effort set that's pretty impressive.

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.