As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you are still making gains squatting twice a week, keep doing it unless there is some reason you can't.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xego wrote: »
    So week 2 started and I'm pretty happy about the whole thing. Added 15lbs to my squat, 10lbs to my bench, and 20 to my deadlift. I also made a startling discovery this last week, I apparently lost 20 pounds over winter break! I'm down to about 150 from being between 165-175.

So here we go, another nutrition question. I'm pretty sure I'm not eating enough. I am, however, eating all the time and I'm hungry a lot more than I used to be. My day usually is 2-4 eggs and veggies in the morning for breakfast, tuna or peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and dinner is whatever I decide to eat that night, so something like stir fry or hamburger helper or whatever. For snacks I eat apples and oranges whenever I'm hungry. I'm don't think I'm getting enough calories. I have these mexican twinkie things that are 200 calories a pop but I'm sure its mostly sugar and bad stuff. Is it ok to just down a few of these a day to make up for just not having enough to eat?

A sandwich is generally a snack, not a meal. Unless it is a big biiiiig sandwich.

You can have a couple of those twinkies a day, one or two, you have the luck to be working up, rather than trying to work down on shitty food.

Nuts make a good snack too. They're calorie-rich, and chock full of fat and protein. And with a small ziplock bag, they also travel even better than fruit.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I see all this talk about squatting twice a week and it makes me feel weird for doing it three times a week. I'm not over-doing it am I?

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you feel like you're overdoing it?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invincible wrote: »
    Man, I see all this talk about squatting twice a week and it makes me feel weird for doing it three times a week. I'm not over-doing it am I?

that's what things like starting strength call for

basically if you can keep making gains with that, then you're good

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay good. I enjoy squats three times a week. It is like a really good friend.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i am jealous

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been running Starting Strength for a month now, and still enjoying it and making gains in all of my lifts the majority of the time. Sometimes I struggle with trying to increase squats 3x a week. I've also struggled increasing power cleans from time to time, but I think that is because I let my form get away and not anything to do with strength. I had to reset weight for Press when I realized I was using my legs in a way similar to the power clean.

Jan 3/5
    Squat 135
    Bench 90
    Deadlift 135
    Squat 145
    Press 95
    Clean 45

Jan 28/31
    Squat 190
    Bench 160
    Deadlift 190
    Squat 195
    Press 120
    Clean 115

I know it wasn't all strength gains because it took me a few trips until I reached the point where I was in the right area, but I'm seeing results. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i am jealous

Well, its a friend that is trying their best to brutally crush you.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh, i know, i was squatting 3x a week before i hurt myself and then have been lazy and am now slowly recovering but i have to avoid heavy squats for a while till my shit is better
    hence jealous

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    GMs ARE unpleasant- they make me sweat and pant, they're exhausting- but I don't feel them in my back. I do 135. Wendler said he gets more out of low weight high reps on them.

You can do more than 135 on GMs. You're in the 300s on the squat, right? Go for at least 185 on the last heavy set of GMs.

Eugh 185x10 was not fun, but I definitely felt it!

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    First day off after a two week break. Was getting some solid pulls, go to do my third set and a trainer sets up right next to where I'm doing my deadlifts with two girls that can't stop giggling and laughing and being stupid. Got so annoyed, set up and couldnt focus, trashed my set while they ignored the trainer and goofed around ((and man do they ever need to listen to this trainer)).

I can't wait until some of this new years crowd is gone.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GMs ARE unpleasant- they make me sweat and pant, they're exhausting- but I don't feel them in my back. I do 135. Wendler said he gets more out of low weight high reps on them.

You can do more than 135 on GMs. You're in the 300s on the squat, right? Go for at least 185 on the last heavy set of GMs.

Eugh 185x10 was not fun, but I definitely felt it!

Cool. Now start seeing if you can get down to x5. :) That's where you really start to notice it. I've found that I need to concentrate more on my GM form than I ever need to on squats.

And I've finally got the all clear to get back in the gym for lower leg workouts. Ugh, I'm so weak. I hate coming back from injuries.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    First day off after a two week break. Was getting some solid pulls, go to do my third set and a trainer sets up right next to where I'm doing my deadlifts with two girls that can't stop giggling and laughing and being stupid. Got so annoyed, set up and couldnt focus, trashed my set while they ignored the trainer and goofed around ((and man do they ever need to listen to this trainer)).

Oh man, my university gym is FULL of the new years crowd. I am so curious to see how many stick with it. But people fucking around in the church of the bigmen is so fucking annoying. I feel for ya.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Oh man, my university gym is FULL of the new years crowd. I am so curious to see how many stick with it. But people fucking around in the church of the bigmen is so fucking annoying. I feel for ya.

Thanks, yeah, I'm at a globo-gym and normally love the place, but holy shit do I hate going there lately. I don't care if someone's in awful shape, I don't care if people don't know what they're doing, but when people go in there and just screw around and annoy the shit out of people that are really trying to accomplish something, well that's when I'm ready to murder someone

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I saw a billboard for Planet Fitness the other day that said

"If you've ever invited anyone to see the GUN SHOW...This ain't the gym for you!"

And I was like, well then who is it a gym for? People who don't want to get big?

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    MplsOsirisMplsOsiris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey what is the feeling on this forum towards creatine and protein supplements? Trying to bulk up for the first time since high school (did cross country in college, and I'm still pretty skinny - 6' and 150lbs), and was wondering what the word on the street is on how to best go about it.

MplsOsiris on
    A while back I hated where my life was and where my life was going. Now I'm happily engaged, in the best shape I've been in since high school, have a bunch of wild stories and most importantly I enjoy my life! You can check out what I'm up to next at http://coolbyintent.com/blog
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Daric wrote: »
    I saw a billboard for Planet Fitness the other day that said

"If you've ever invited anyone to see the GUN SHOW...This ain't the gym for you!"

And I was like, well then who is it a gym for? People who don't want to get big?

That's funny because that's is ENTIRELY what Planet Fitness is for. And "Gun Show" people aren't just lifters, they're lifters who do 95% upper body work, most of which is biceps. I guess. Maybe they just couldn't bring themselves to go whole hog and make a bro joke.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MplsOsiris wrote: »
    Hey what is the feeling on this forum towards creatine and protein supplements? Trying to bulk up for the first time since high school (did cross country in college, and I'm still pretty skinny - 6' and 150lbs), and was wondering what the word on the street is on how to best go about it.

Both are great but for bulking up your best bet is the GOMAD setup. Drink a gallon of whole milk every day, do squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press, go heavy, you'll put on the weight. I did a bulk and started out with a weight gainer protein powder, it didn't work very well for me so I heard about GOMAD. Started GOMAD and went from 165-170ish to 214.

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

There's the GOMAD link I have handy. Short story, buy gallons of whole milk and lift heavy things.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Now, if I've already been trying to bulk would it be too late to start the whole milk thing?

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Now, if I've already been trying to bulk would it be too late to start the whole milk thing?

Not at all. Just make sure you focus on doing the big compound lifts and really pushing your limits on those. I jumped straight from trying to bulk with true mass to the GOMAD setup and it made things much much easier ((and MUCH cheaper))

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Awesome. I am super excited to try this. I've felt for a while that my lifts need some extra juice and that food wasn't helping. But is it really cheaper? I mean seven bottles a week seems like it would add up.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Awesome. I am super excited to try this. I've felt for a while that my lifts need some extra juice and that food wasn't helping. But is it really cheaper? I mean seven bottles a week seems like it would add up.

Yeah, compared to alternatives it's quite a bit cheaper, especially if you go with a generic brand of milk. Meijer brand/Jewel brand, whatever, runs somewhere around 2.50 a gallon. Just make sure you really focus on finishing it throughout the day, you don't want to get to the end of the day and try and play catch up. If you're sitting around go, hey, am I drinking milk? No? Yeah, I better drink some milk.

What lifting program are you doing? Starting strength?

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Yea I'm doing a modified SS. Modified as in a few accessory lifts thrown in and certain lifts have more sets, like 4x5 squats.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah you're good then, I'd run GOMAD, stick with that plan, don't miss days at the gym, you'll see big progress fast. For creatine you can get a thing of powder pretty cheap that will last quite awhile, I got some krealkalyn creatine for around 12 bucks, powder form so it'll last two months at least.

Also, whey protein powder is excellent for post workout shakes or an extra protein fix throughout the day, there's plenty of other supplements that are going to help, omega 3 fish oils are very good, l-arginine, beta alanine, or a blend like x-pand or N.O. xplode but really the most important thing is the lifting and the milk/food.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh also, make SURE to do a warm up and some stretching, every day. I really, really, really wish I had started out stretching the way I do now when I started up a year ago. If there's anything I've learned since I started, it's this- start a little light, keep adding weight, warm up and stretch every day and what do you need to eat? More. Always more.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I've got creatine covered, cheap supplements is awesome, same with the fish oil. I was thinking of using that site posted a few pages back to order some custom whey that has some BCAAs in it, but I just need some money first.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Had a really irritating day at the gym today.

First I weighed myself and found out a lost like 4 pounds in a week because i've been running around like a madman for my business, then I lined up my DLs, smashed 396 like nothing, got cocky and proceeded to miss 440, 430, 420 until I got a measly 400 off the rack at the end of it all... BAH!!!

I tell you if I hadn't lost that weight I would have made 440... now I reckon it will take another two weeks of effort. :x

Docken on
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Note to self: you need more than 2 hours of sleep if you're going to do DLs at 6 in the morning. Stupid insomnia

Branu on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've got creatine covered, cheap supplements is awesome, same with the fish oil. I was thinking of using that site posted a few pages back to order some custom whey that has some BCAAs in it, but I just need some money first.

Lots of premixed whey powders have BCAAs in them already, you don't need to get fancy mix-your-own for that.

Peen on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, finally getting my trueprotein order today. Took about a week to get here. I'm too spoiled with fast shipping. Yeah, it came all the way from cali to out here in kentucky, but come on... I want things in 3 days tops!

So take that into consideration when buying from them. If you're on the east coast, it might take awhile to get your order.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This should really be in the O.P. I think...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ^That is awesome. And sad, but mostly awesome.

How much cardio should I be doing on a bulk? right now I only do 5 min of running as a warm up.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find fast-paced hiking to be a good cardio workout during the bulk phase. I like to do a good 5 miles in the city with a 55lbs pack, adjust mileage or weight pending how the week is going. Gives you a good sweat and elevated heart rate for an extended period of time.

I dunno about the calories burned as compared to a run, but I feel the fast pace typically keeps me in good cardiovascular condition for when I start running again after a heavy lifting cycle.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, I wish I could major in being a bigman.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ^That is awesome. And sad, but mostly awesome.

How much cardio should I be doing on a bulk? right now I only do 5 min of running as a warm up.

You don't HAVE to do any cardio during a bulk, and if you really have trouble putting on weight you may not want to. You can do warm ups with lighter weight of the day's lift even, but basically adjust your cardio based on your gains. If the weight is getting put on really easily you can add a bit more with no problems, or you can do normal amounts of cardio, half hour a day, whatever, and just add more food ((though I know for me, eating enough was the biggest problem so I couldn't manage this and still put on weight.))

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited February 2011

Seen it before, it's a photoshop. Look at HER right quad. The doorframe warps around it.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's not even the most improbably one I've seen, I'd swear there's a version that's been in here before where her legs are bigger.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Guys, vanilla ice cream and chocolate milk is so fucking delicious.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Seen it before, it's a photoshop. Look at HER right quad. The doorframe warps around it.

Pfeh.

How about Laura Phelps squatting 650 lbs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYij2xJCpg

Kakodaimonos on
This discussion has been closed.