Options

[RIFT] Beta Keys available in thread, next Beta event begins Feb 4th

• Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    On my defiant they may have been more frequent, but they both were the SAME death rifts, and they also only gave 2-3 planarite, regardless of participation.

O_o

This is not something I've seen on the Defiant side at all. There are lots of different rifts. Major/Minor/Death/Water. Then there are mob variations within the rifts. From the death rifts I've seen Cultists/Undead/Rat people/Abominations/Strings of mini bosses. Theres the same sort of variety from the Water rifts as well.

I mentioned specifically that it was the VERY starting spot. You might get a water rift every once and a while, but for the most part they are forever locked into respawning the exact same rifts that have a 3 phase event. I'm talking the spot right next to the bridge.

That rift spawns in the exact same spot with a 3 fer as an intro to doing Rifts. The rest of the zone spawns rifts normally.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WTS Life Rifts. PST.
    201124153644.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whoops, there goes Faeblight.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    boom headshot

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sunrest goes boom! Sad as well, was testing my shaman/justicar/sentinal in pvp. Man she is hard to kill.

But ehh, going to take a break now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    there back, that was quick

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sunrest has 'sploded as well during the fire invasion.

That life invasion though...fuck.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Melee rogues in pvp are a joke and a half at level 20. Even 1v1 I can't down a healer or warrior. Only people I have a real chance against are other melee rogues. D:

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, we still planning Defiant on Faeblight?

EDIT: For release.

There will be a Defiant guild on both an RP-PVP and RP-PVE if I am not mistaken. As for the actual server, we don't know if the release servers will be named the same, so that's yet to be decided.

Why the RP?

My experience with rift RP thus far:
    I was soloing a minor rift in gloamwood and some cleric wanker runs up to 'help'. After the rift ends I start autorunning towards the next rift and he whispers to me 'May the gods be with you'. Trying to think of an appropriately in character response I didn't reply immediately, and after a couple seconds he adds, 'Well fuck you too'. To which I replied 'o.O' and went on my way.

Saphier on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OH MY GOD MY PIG
    2011-2-6_12316.jpg

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Saphier wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, we still planning Defiant on Faeblight?

EDIT: For release.

There will be a Defiant guild on both an RP-PVP and RP-PVE if I am not mistaken. As for the actual server, we don't know if the release servers will be named the same, so that's yet to be decided.

Why the RP?

My experience with rift RP thus far:
    I was soloing a minor rift in gloamwood and some cleric wanker runs up to 'help'. After the rift ends I start autorunning towards the next rift and he whispers to me 'May the gods be with you'. Trying to think of an appropriately in character response I didn't reply immediately, and after a couple seconds he adds, 'Well fuck you too'. To which I replied 'o.O' and went on my way.

Because there are generally less ass-hats on an RP server, despite your experience there. Other than that, the only difference between a regular server and an RP one is the "RP" in front of the server name if you don't care to participate in it.

Edit: Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at there, Arikado.

Edit:Edit: I was reading it as, "OH MY GOD PIG," so I was looking for a pig somewhere in the shot for like 2 full minutes.

Figgy on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    But if I rolled on an RP server with the intention to not RP would I not be an asshat?

Saphier on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Defiant invasion? Thats new.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The other difference is people cybering in-character

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Saphier wrote: »
    But if I rolled on an RP server with the intention to not RP would I not be an asshat?

Why? I've rolled on an RP server for nearly every single MMO I've ever played and I don't necessarily RP. I don't talk about the score to the football game in general chat, but I also don't talk in-character either.

RP servers are a place to play where role playing is encouraged. It's never enforced. As long as you're not going out of your way to ruffle feathers, you'll be fine.

Figgy on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    OH MY GOD MY PIG
    2011-2-6_12316.jpg

I don't see it. What am I looking for?

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well i can now confirm that the marksman range increase in distance and the bonus damage on crit do not work with candence. That and it takes for freaking ever to get a crit with the damn ability. Starting to wonder if candence is considered a spell, guess i need to whip up a batch of cloth and see what happens.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OH MY GOD MY PIG
    2011-2-6_12316.jpg

Hahaha

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Caedere wrote: »
    OH MY GOD MY PIG
    2011-2-6_12316.jpg

I don't see it. What am I looking for?

Chat.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does Guardian side have the pleasure of anything like the Death Rift enemy 'First Vision'? Hes the first wave of one of the random Death Rifts. Just a single enemy standing in this huge field of decay. And he kills pretty much everyone in a single hit. Its fantastic.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Waffling on buying this game, there's quite a few issues I have with it, the biggest being I can't get a single person I know to give it a second look. Got my nephew to play with me, but he's visually impaired and MMOs are difficult for him with so much information being presented everywhere onscreen. Not only that but with real life friends, people level at different rates so you can't really play together until max level. I think this is a fundamental flaw in MMOs as a genre though... it's a poor singleplayer experience that happens to be populated by strangers until endgame

such a difficult choice, I'm worried that I'm simply getting to a point where I'm unable to extensively enjoy MMOs - but I can recall so much enjoyment from them in the past

override367 on
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well i can now confirm that the marksman range increase in distance and the bonus damage on crit do not work with candence. That and it takes for freaking ever to get a crit with the damn ability. Starting to wonder if candence is considered a spell, guess i need to whip up a batch of cloth and see what happens.

All rogue abilities are based on melee crit and attack power. Dev confirmed, though I can't post a link.

Also, some advice - I'm pretty sure cadence does not deal weapon damage, which is why talents that apply to weapon damage don't work with it. Talents that apply to ability damage will work with it. I think.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Waffling on buying this game, there's quite a few issues I have with it, the biggest being I can't get a single person I know to give it a second look. Got my nephew to play with me, but he's visually impaired and MMOs are difficult for him with so much information being presented everywhere onscreen. Not only that but with real life friends, people level at different rates so you can't really play together until max level. I think this is a fundamental flaw in MMOs as a genre though... it's a poor singleplayer experience that happens to be populated by strangers until endgame

such a difficult choice, I'm worried that I'm simply getting to a point where I'm unable to extensively enjoy MMOs - but I can recall so much enjoyment from them in the past

When you play them with that mindset, you need a ridiculous amount of time to devote to it in order to enjoy yourself.

Join the PA guild. Play when you have the time. Join groups with guildies. Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about who is leveling faster than you.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There we go, nightblade and bard, guess the tooltip for best combos was right. Got a near 30% increase in damage thanks to the talents blazing fury and unstable state. That and ranger and i have my early start build :)

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How do you find the bosses that spawn with the big invasions? They don't seem to be indicated on the map.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    holy shit saboteur is fun

kind of a pain in pve situations cause you gotta run around so much and risk running into other mobs but

i can see how you could be A HUGE DICK in pvp with one

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

When you play them with that mindset, you need a ridiculous amount of time to devote to it in order to enjoy yourself.

Join the PA guild. Play when you have the time. Join groups with guildies. Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about who is leveling faster than you.

Rift is really screwing with me on a deep psychological level

Like I think it's going to break me from the routine of logging on my ventrilo server that I've done for years and playing games with the same people, and get involved in a new community and play with different people

It's intimidating

override367 on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure we can whip out a Vent server for our own, it will be fun man.

Also, I'm joining from a GMT+3 timezone, so it makes even less sense that I join a US server; but I will, 'cus you guys are awesome.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I don't see how you can avoid your PvP tree. The first root is Rift's PvP trinket. And the branches are full of goodies like a flat +15% damage to players is Tier 1 for Archmage.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cybrid81cybrid81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I don't see how you can avoid your PvP tree. The first root is Rift's PvP trinket. And the branches are full of goodies like a flat +15% damage to players is Tier 1 for Archmage.

Yeah, I specced it onto my Pyromancer as soon as I unlocked it and the difference, at least for mages, is night and day.

cybrid81 on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There we go, nightblade and bard, guess the tooltip for best combos was right. Got a near 30% increase in damage thanks to the talents blazing fury and unstable state. That and ranger and i have my early start build :)

I started with that build, but quickly learned that bard does not need that zero point ranger pet at all. Get bard/rift/nightblade, put 5 points in Unseen Fury in the rift tree, and not only do you have comparable survivabilty to having the ranger pet, but you get an attack power increase to boot (just make sure, obviously, that you get the 3 points in Invigorated Soul in your bard tree). I found that build to be much better for soloing than having the weak-ass ranger pet. Also, by putting 4 points into the rift tree, you unlock a nice little buff that gives you +5 Endurance for an hour, so that's pretty handy too!

Dourin on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love how absolutely epic the rift invasions feel. It really drags me into the world, feeling like I'm playing a part in its survival. Game is great.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hope rifting can be a viable replacement for raiding.

In the last year I've realized that preplanned raids of large scale are really not *for* me anymore. It'd be great to just be on dicking around mining and get into an impromptu raid where you get some epics

override367 on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Rifts feel like a bigger grind than raids ever did, you do the exact same two rifts about 50 times and then you can afford some okay gear. Gear that is easily replaced by the win 5 pvp matches quest.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to stop playing Rift until it comes out so I don't find out I don't feel like leveling to 50 again.

Gonna play Kotor 1 and 2 and maybe oblivion after that until then.

Khildith on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I advise re/playing Titan Quest; it has a mix-class system that could help smooth out your urges.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't know maybe MMos just aren't for me anymore...I just can't get into this game. It is definitely missing the polish that made WoW so successful at release...the animations are a little off...the music is incredibly lackluster, the voice acting is...well non existent or not even as good as Morrowind. The controls are pretty good just not quite as good as WoW...WoW just feels a little more responsive.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Rifts feel like a bigger grind than raids ever did, you do the exact same two rifts about 50 times and then you can afford some okay gear. Gear that is easily replaced by the win 5 pvp matches quest.

You seriously mean to have us believe you think end-game raiding is less of a grind than the public rifts?

End-game raiding. Where you sit in a group of dozens of players and mash a few buttons to take out trash mobs and eventually reach a boss. To have a 1 in 10 shot at an item you need dropping and a 1 in 20 shot of then winning that item?

If running around a zone and beating back scores of invading mobs alongside your group, and getting something for it every time is a boring grind to you, I don't know why you're even bothering with MMOs, because as far as the genre goes, PVE doesn't get much more interesting than that.

In other news, I like the new "Ascended Courage" buff you get in Warfronts if you're low level. At level 12, I was fifth in damage done as a melee rogue.
    2011271441.jpg

I don't know maybe MMos just aren't for me anymore...I just can't get into this game. It is definitely missing the polish that made WoW so successful at release...the animations are a little off...the music is incredibly lackluster, the voice acting is...well non existent or not even as good as Morrowind. The controls are pretty good just not quite as good as WoW...WoW just feels a little more responsive.

WOW wasn't this polished at release. Come on, if you're going to complain it's gotta be somewhat accurate. And the voice acting? What genre do you think you're playing, here?

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You seriously mean to have us believe you think end-game raiding is less of a grind than the public rifts?

End-game raiding. Where you sit in a group of dozens of players and mash a few buttons to take out trash mobs and eventually reach a boss. To have a 1 in 10 shot at an item you need dropping and a 1 in 20 shot of then winning that item?

If running around a zone and beating back scores of invading mobs alongside your group, and getting something for it every time is a boring grind to you, I don't know why you're even bothering with MMOs, because as far as the genre goes, PVE doesn't get much more interesting than that.

In other news, I like the new "Ascended Courage" buff you get in Warfronts if you're low level. At level 12, I was fifth in damage done as a melee rogue.
    2011271441.jpg
    I mean so far from what I have seen the Rifts are...incredibly boring and easy. There are two rifts that are pretty much the same mobs spawn, kill mobs, rinse and repeat. Then there are invasions which just requite enough people to come and then you can kill it. No excitement really, nothing unique from them at all from what I have seen. I think WAR did them much better, much more unique at least.

Anyways raids were a little bit more time consuming depending upon what part of WoW you played. They were challenging and you either got gear or tokens for the raid, same thing with rifts except the payoff for raids is much better. Raids were tough and required a good coordinated group to beat, not just a mob of players. Raids are exciting, unique, challenging and rewarding, Rifts are rewarding.

I played WoW in the open beta and at release, I think there was a higher level of polish in just how smooth the game ran and in the overall ease of getting into the game. There was just a certain simplicity to it I guess, and the music and all the small details and spell effects, they just worked so well to draw you in. I am just not seeing that in this game, it just doesn't have a feel to it, like it is missing its soul. Even WAR had a little something, a feeling to the direction of the game...this game just seems to be missing it. Oh and by voice acting I mean on NPCs, just another little polish thing that WoW did a decent job on for an mmo.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

2011271441.jpg
    I mean so far from what I have seen the Rifts are...incredibly boring and easy. There are two rifts that are pretty much the same mobs spawn, kill mobs, rinse and repeat. Then there are invasions which just requite enough people to come and then you can kill it. No excitement really, nothing unique from them at all from what I have seen. I think WAR did them much better, much more unique at least.

Anyways raids were a little bit more time consuming depending upon what part of WoW you played. They were challenging and you either got gear or tokens for the raid, same thing with rifts except the payoff for raids is much better. Raids were tough and required a good coordinated group to beat, not just a mob of players. Raids are exciting, unique, challenging and rewarding, Rifts are rewarding.

To say the public quests were much more unique in WAR is a bit misleading. Yes, they had the freedom for each to be a bit different because they were static PQs that were exactly the same, in the exact location, on an exact timer, at all times. Nothing changed. What ended up happening once the initial launch rush subsided was almost every single PQ was deserted. They relied on a healthy player-base in the zone to function as intended, and once you start needed to gather your own group to do one, it no longer is a "public" quest and it might as well be a triggered event.

In Rift, the PQs are dynamic. They happen anywhere and everywhere, with varied levels, and they're tailored to the zone population. If they're not closed, things get even more hairy. Eventually, entire zone-wide invasions sprout forth and shit hits the fan even more. I really don't know what else you're looking for with this mechanic. Frequent gobs of NPCs attacking questing hubs/towns where you have to band together with other players to fight them back. What would make this better in your opinion? Putting them on a timer and having set spawn locations, like a WAR PQ?

And your comments about raids baffles me. We're two different players, so I see why we don't agree here. We never will. To me, raiding was never fun. It was just the requirement if you wanted the best gear in the game to compete in PvP. After I stopped playing WoW, I know things changed, but overall endgame raiding requires a huge time commitment that many people just aren't able to offer. It was never fun for me. It was never challenging. And it was very rarely rewarding.

What's so fun about running through with dozens of people and being ordered around all night because there is a very specific way to run this giant dungeon?
    I played WoW in the open beta and at release, I think there was a higher level of polish in just how smooth the game ran and in the overall ease of getting into the game. There was just a certain simplicity to it I guess, and the music and all the small details and spell effects, they just worked so well to draw you in. I am just not seeing that in this game, it just doesn't have a feel to it, like it is missing its soul. Even WAR had a little something, a feeling to the direction of the game...this game just seems to be missing it. Oh and by voice acting I mean on NPCs, just another little polish thing that WoW did a decent job on for an mmo.

I think one of the reasons people feel that way about WoW's release is because it was very simple. MMOs in general were simple. As WoW developed, more mechanics were slowly added over time, and it was easy for the player base to learn and grow with the game. Now, you jump into a new MMO and it's got all the same depth as WoW, and in Rift's case, a much more complicated class system, and suddenly it's too overwhelming.

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.