As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    David_T wrote: »
    Or on his opponent's liver.

Also, I think this is what everybody wants to give Fedor right now.

"Listen, Fedor, considering your history in MMA and all that, we decided to get together, for your retirement... and we got you a big blonde guy. He's a bit scruffy, but a quick shave and he's good as new."

Fedor likes them hairy.

That's a polar bear he's hugging, right?

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Hmmm

If I stop signing up now

I'll be undefeated forever

That is very tempting

You're not really doing a good job of selling this.

Don't you wanna be like Liddell?

Staying to "win" only to lose?

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm

If I stop signing up now

I'll be undefeated forever

That is very tempting

You're not really doing a good job of selling this.

Look here is the traditional MMA forumula:

1. Win lots of fights early making no money

2. Win the championship

3. Continue to fight and actually start to get money

4. Become over the hill but keep fighting to make huge paydays

5. Get KTFO a few times and say you're going to retire

6. Get even bigger paydays to 'come out of retirement'

7. Retire 5 fights too late.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm game for this PAFCR. Someone has to end Spectrum's reign, and it may as well be a new upstart. You old fogies have had your chances - it's time for the next generation to show you how it's done.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Okay.

Well, consider PAFCR4 signups open. The first event will be UFC 127 on 02/27/11.

I'll figure out the format when we get closer.

Dangerbird, Campy, and Brodo Faggins are banned unless than can give me a good reason to let them in again.. assuming they ever return to this thread.

I mostly just lurk here, but I'd also like in again. Can't exactly retire with a 2-2 record.

Xrdd on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Great OP. Nice work, doug.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wanted to take a moment to call back to something from the last thread:
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Wait I guess I understand why Frank Shamrock is a Legend, why is this other guy a legend?

Ha, he's just an announcer. You could hear Mauro quietly saying "thank-you"; I suspect he would have disagreed with that assessment.

Gus Johnson is not just an announcer. Gus Johnson is the greatest announcer in all of sports. Period.

You need to watch some CBS College Basketball, or some football, with Johnson as the announcer. It is so damn great.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Great OP. Nice work, doug.

Always a pleasure.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    Wait I guess I understand why Frank Shamrock is a Legend, why is this other guy a legend?

Ha, he's just an announcer. You could hear Mauro quietly saying "thank-you"; I suspect he would have disagreed with that assessment.

Gus Johnson is not just an announcer. Gus Johnson is the greatest announcer in all of sports. Period.

You need to watch some CBS College Basketball, or some football, with Johnson as the announcer. It is so damn great.

He's a fantastic football announcer as well. But he is the fucking worst MMA announcer ever. He once asked if people would ever consider boxing a martial art. He really said that. On national TV.

So Gus Johnson in other sports? One of the best.

Gus Johnson in MMA? Fucking terrible.

Edit: Also we weren't talking about Gus Johnson. Gus Johnson is the one who called Frank Shamrock and the other guy a legend. I'm not even sure who the other guy is to be honest.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

He's a fantastic football announcer as well. But he is the fucking worst MMA announcer ever. He once asked if people would ever consider boxing a martial art. He really said that. On national TV.

Edit: Also we weren't talking about Gus Johnson. Gus Johnson is the one who called Frank Shamrock and the other guy a legend. I'm not even sure who the other guy is to be honest.

Okay then. I didn't get to see Strikeforce (the bar I was at didn't play it for some reason but my group wanted to stay there).

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps in enough time Gus Johnson will learn the trade and become one of the best at it too. Hopefully.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps in enough time Gus Johnson will learn the trade and become one of the best at it too. Hopefully.

This is the Joe Rogan appreciation thread, and I would bet just about anything to say that Gus will never be as good as Joe Rogan

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am not feeling entirely comfortable with all the bulls-eye on my back!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

This is the Joe Rogan appreciation thread, and I would bet just about anything to say that Gus will never be as good as Joe Rogan

Gus Johnson makes Joe Rogan look like Fedor in the Ultimate Commentating Championship.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Gus Johnson makes Joe Rogan look like Fedor in the Ultimate Commentating Championship.

So many anti-Fedor jokes I could make. But no I will never talk shit about Joe Rogan.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know.

It's hard to hate somebody who gives you a discount on fleshlights.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome OP Doug, you set the bar high for whoever does it next.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know.

It's hard to hate somebody who gives you a discount on fleshlights.

Yup I <3 Joe Rogan and Kevin Smith

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So... I'm in for PAFC. I've been waiting forever for a new round to start.

Also, just got caught up on the emotional rollercoaster that was the last 10 pages of the old thread, and wanted to bring this over.
    THAT ISN'T A FUCKING QUESTION GUS JOHNSON.

FUCK.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome OP Doug, you set the bar high for whoever does it next.

The logical solution is that Doug should do every OP for every MMA thread from here on out.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

when gus johnson calls a came he knows like basketball or football he is great
    but when he has to do a sport he doesnt know, like MMA, it's a trainwreck

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Which is the beauty of Gus.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Strikeforce events aren't complete without those special Gus Johnson moments.

I find myself mesmerized by his weird looking red lips. Are his lips usually like that or is that the worst TV makeup job ever?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thoughts on last night.

Frank, I know you can afford some Invisalign braces.

Gina Carano gives a terrible interview.

Shame about that Arlovski fellow.

Fucking Gus Johnson.

Oh and goddamn Fedor is small.

I mean, I know this is not a new thing, but in this day and age, it matters more and more.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was watching some MMA videos and I realized something. They should bring back the ref cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voILtDQjfrc

If nothing else we could check to see if the ref was paying attention at all times. It would also be great to see the angle the ref is looking at the fighters (good for judging proper stoppages)

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, the ref cam was, and is, great. I've watched 3 round fights entirely in ref cam mode, and I've got to say its really strange. But of course the real purpose is to give a different and very close up camera angle for replays. Also great for checking calls, even though this amounts to after the fact speculation. I believe Affliction had ref-cams in their fights.

They make so much sense, I see no reason not to implement them.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That kick is still fantastic, all these years later.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Strikeforce had ref-cams in at least one of their shows. The one where Mousasi KO'd Babalu. (Carano v. Cyborg)

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just another idea from PRIDE that isn't being used.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Agreed there. Ref cam offered some unique perspectives and I don't know why other organizations don't use it to the same extent

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    as much as I hate BJ Penn, I don't think John Fitch will take him.

jon fitch is going to do to BJ Penn the same thing that GSP did minus the fun, excitement, watchability, charisma, etc.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    as much as I hate BJ Penn, I don't think John Fitch will take him.

jon fitch is going to do to BJ Penn the same thing that GSP did minus the fun, excitement, watchability, charisma, etc.

Really? I think BJ will threaten Fitch from the bottom far more than he did GSP.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, Fitch has more hair, so he might be less slippery!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

He's not great so much as entertaining due to his bluster and extreme enthusiasm. plus he occasionally says some funny stuff with out thinking beforehand at all. "Chris Johnson is running like he's being chased by cops!" or whatever for example.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Strikeforce events aren't complete without those special Gus Johnson moments.

i still maintain that up-jabs are not an actual thing.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I can see BJ Penn hurting Fitch. I mean, Fitch is no stranger to getting hurt a lot on his feet by even just decent strikers, but can I see BJ finishing Fitch? No. Can I see BJ beating Fitch on the feet for 3 rounds? No, because Fitch seems to have an iron chin and is incredibly hard to strike against since he will exploit your stance and try to grapplefuck you. He's also notoriously difficult to submit, and I don't see any reason as to why he wouldn't be able to grind on BJ for at least 2 rounds. BJ does not exactly get stronger the longer the fight goes on, while Fitch is absolutely relentless in a 3 round fight.

Fitch got lit up on the feet by Mike Pierce (who is an excellent fighter and very powerful) but walked right through it and successfully grinded on that dude to a win.

I see him being able to do the same to BJ as well if he finds himself outmatched in the striking department.

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll say that BJ's chances completely hinge on how he looks at the weigh ins. Will we see happy buddha Penn or zombie Penn?

Also,
    Werdum has said that Fedor could've done better on the ground, but since he only trains Sambo, he couldn't get out.
    That's just Werdum sucking on BJJ's teat. Fedor survived three rounds against Nog, escaped the first triangle attempt against Werdum, and escaped a heavy arm triangle and kneebar attempt from Silva.

Edit: Oh yeah, sign me up for PAFC. I won't fight Spectrum though since he's from my camp, but this should all work out.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is the happy buddha Penn the devastating one?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    I'll say that BJ's chances completely hinge on how he looks at the weigh ins. Will we see happy buddha Penn or zombie Penn?

Also,
    Werdum has said that Fedor could've done better on the ground, but since he only trains Sambo, he couldn't get out.
    That's just Werdum sucking on BJJ's teat. Fedor survived three rounds against Nog, escaped the first triangle attempt against Werdum, and escaped a heavy arm triangle and kneebar attempt from Silva.

Edit: Oh yeah, sign me up for PAFC. I won't fight Spectrum though since he's from my camp, but this should all work out.

for reference:
    prodigy_bj.jpg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    prodigy_bj.jpg

That's pretty fucking funny

Metal Jared on