As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We are the future, Charles, not them. [X-Men: First Class]

1234568»

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think he cares about X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the X2 McCoy thing is probably too little a cameo for them to worry about. I mean, he's obviously not Kelsey Grammer and there's nothing in X3 to connect that Beast with the X2 four second McCoy appearance. For all intents and purposes, the first appearance of Beast in the X-Men movies is in X3.

And even with the Origins thing, they have an out. I don't think Emma in that movie is ever identified in the movie as Emma Frost, just as Silverfox's sister. In the trailer, possibly, and we all know who she was supposed to be, but...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, how long before Fox probably loses the rights and Marvel can start fresh with their own in-house X-Men film?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    So, how long before Fox probably loses the rights and Marvel can start fresh with their own in-house X-Men film?

The way most Marvel licenses were written, many years after they stop making the films.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

The way most Marvel licenses were written, many years after they stop making the films.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on the agreement, but most licenses are indefinite as long as X number of years do not pass between productions.

Which is why Fox will probably have a new Fantastic Four film in theaters in the next year or two.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm a big X-Men fan, and I have no recollection of Beast being in X2, so.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Scooter wrote: »

You may have blinked.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Played by Kelsey Grammer.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think he was on a TV in the background for a second.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry, brain fart. X2 had Steve Bacic as Beast. Here's a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjYx3i18B0

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait, Emma Frost is in this movie? Isn't she, like, Scott Summer's age? How does that even work chronologically

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THE X-MEN.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    She was in Wolverine: Origins, too, as a teenager in a brief cameo. I don't understand.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, in that scene in X2 I believe an even more brief split-second shows that McCoy is debating with one Mr. Shaw. So I believe that is clearly in the cameo/easter egg category. It could still make sense, Shaw and McCoy are both pretty old characters, so having them in FC and "guest" starring in X2 still kinda works. But the only thing I get from Hank tho is that maybe he's got an image inducer? Oh, and this film establishes them as (presumably) enemies, so I guess that's tossed out. :\

Emma Frost tho, I think is different entirely from Emma in Wolverine. They only emphasized her diamond skin if I remember, so it's plausible deniability really.

As for Mystique, her powers simply allow her to be whatever age she wants. And I believe her normal blue form also has some age suppression factor in itself. And IF they decide to make Azazel Nightcrawler's father, then there can be a bunch of explanations; ie, traumatic experience leaves Mystique with PTSD with some amnesia-like effects so she doesn't acknowledge him when they meet.

Finally, I recall a recent rumor that they were setting up Havok to be Cyclops' father. It would fit, and I wouldn't mind it really. It's easier to explain in a mass audience film than "Scott has a long lost brother and they were both pushed out of a plane while it got hijacked by aliens and his father is a space pirate because of it".

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think the retcons are that serious, and this might be a re-launch anyway like someone said earlier. Fox knows Wolverine Origins sucked ass, and the Aronofsky "The Wolverine" is going to be it's own movie without anything to do with Origins.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Aronofsky has said he's ignoring origins, so we may as well remove that from canon.

Beyond that, we can't call this a relaunch just yet, because there's a lot of buzz about Bryan Singer coming back for a proper X4 in a couple years time.

Without the Emma Frost thing, the only major issue is the 60s setting. If we pretend it's more like comic time, where the amount of time between 1961 and 2006 is malleable, but still significant, than it kind of works.

Besides that stretch of time, and the contradiction with that cameo in X2, I think this will work with the originals so far.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm definitely not a big follower of the comics, but I read and greatly enjoyed Whedon's run. Based on the strengths of that one, I'm wondering whether a TV series wouldn't work better than a movie. Obviously they'll go for the latter because if a film's a hit, there's big bucks to be had... but the long-term build-up of characters and their relationships, which drove Whedon's X-Men to a large extent, is much more difficult to pull off well in a big budget summer movie, I'd imagine. One of the reasons why Iron Man worked so well was that it was a lot more about one central character and not about a team that's basically a substitute family. (All of this very much IMO, as I've said, since I'm not a superhero comic reader.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man Aronofsky's wolverine is going to be fucking unreal. I can't even believe that's a thing.

This on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This wrote: »
    Man Aronofsky's wolverine is going to be fucking unreal. I can't even believe that's a thing.

Kenneth Branagh is making a movie about The Mighty Thor. That is actually literally happening.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    gtrmp wrote: »
    This wrote: »

Kenneth Branagh is making a movie about The Mighty Thor. That is actually literally happening.

Christopher Nolan's Batman. 'Nuff said.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shane Black is (hopefully) directing Iron Man 3.

'Nuffer said.

Atomika on