As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    That interview with Richard had me practically fist-pumping the air in excitement.

Like said above, the thought and direction they're putting into this game is really really encouraging and Brink is shaping up to be a really fun experience that I can get lost in for a long time.

If they can deliver on 50% of what is promised here, it would still be head and shoulders above many shooters out there for fun and gameplay.

Very very pumped about this! :!::!::!::!: <3<3<3:!:

Edit - It's not often I post 5 exclamation marks with 3 hearts...

Just going to agree with all of this. Everything I hear about this game makes me more and more excited, and it shows that the developers are really sitting down and thinking about every little aspect of the gameplay rather than just copying what has been done a hundred times before. Can't wait to see how it all comes together. I want to hear at least one hands-on impression with the PC version, but as soon as that feedback comes in, I'm putting down my preorder.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everything sounds good so far, aside from two of the perks. There is something similar to Second Chance, I think it is called Downed Fire. I think there is less chance for rage with this game though-- there are very few one hit kills, almost everyone drops to the ground rather than dieing on the way down, so there shouldn't be the transition frames or whatever that allow a guy to kill you as he falls down. Brink is also less lethal than some of the shooters out there-- it takes more shots to kill. So this Second Chance type perk may not be that big of a deal.

And the cortex bomb thing that Operatives get late in the level up process could be an excellent counter-troll (one of the devs mentions it is a good way to kill someone who teabags you as you are dieing), or it could become a really obnoxious thing.

I just hope we have good netcode. Black Ops has terribly inconsistent netcode. I have a decent connection, and some times my game will be three or four shots behind the host, despite the game telling me my connection is great.

I would like to see some footage of someone going crazy with SMART. Lots of the videos we have don't really showcase it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everything sounds good so far, aside from two of the perks. There is something similar to Second Chance, I think it is called Downed Fire. I think there is less chance for rage with this game though-- there are very few one hit kills, almost everyone drops to the ground rather than dieing on the way down, so there shouldn't be the transition frames or whatever that allow a guy to kill you as he falls down. Brink is also less lethal than some of the shooters out there-- it takes more shots to kill. So this Second Chance type perk may not be that big of a deal.

Personally, I'm not too worried about second chance v2.0. Less lethality seems like it would make this much less annoying. And personally, I never had a problem with it in the CoD series. I can see why people would, but it just never bothered me.

And yes, I would love to see some more SMART videos. Really hoping it can be used to liberally change the flow of the game if you're clever with it. Placing turrets in really strange places is going to be fantastic.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heavy Medic Guy: "Why Engineer put Turret in such strange place?"

Talkc on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Personally, I'm not too worried about second chance v2.0. Less lethality seems like it would make this much less annoying. And personally, I never had a problem with it in the CoD series. I can see why people would, but it just never bothered me.
    The only thing I particularly recall hearing people complain about was the martyrdom perk.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Martyrdom was so easy to avoid, it made it a non-issue. I don't know why people were ever worried about it.

Fawst on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fawst wrote: »
    Martyrdom was so easy to avoid, it made it a non-issue. I don't know why people were ever worried about it.

I generally agree, but it was less fun when spammed by enemies. Much like some servers / games have class limits because the game is more fun with a mechanic in it, but only in moderate quantities.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is there any SP to this? Can you have a multi game with just you and a friend with the rest being bots?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So is there any SP to this? Can you have a multi game with just you and a friend with the rest being bots?

Yes

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Yes

raging semi

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yes

raging semi

:lol:

The entire game's campaign can be played singleplayer, co-op or full blown pvp Multi.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yes

raging semi

:lol:

The entire game's campaign can be played singleplayer, co-op or full blown pvp Multi.

So rocking. How many in co-op?

I'm gonna Amazon it. The psycho pak looks neat and they have 10$ credit.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe its you and up to 3 buddies.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Isn't it 8 players per team? So if you wanted you could have the full 8 player co-op?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Isn't it 8 players per team? So if you wanted you could have the full 8 player co-op?

It is up to full 8 player co op. The devs themselves have said this before.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man, I thought it was 8 but then I thought it was wrong, so I went with 4 cause I didn't want to be wrong. :P

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So much coop goodness coming down the pipe. This, Serious Sam 3, and Saints Row 3.

Where am I going to find the time?

Drake on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So this will have CoD-esque perk system? Not sure if I like that or not.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    warder808 wrote: »

No, it'll have like a tree of abilities you can get, and you build up one character that you use for all classes and stuff.

And you can choose to play on different types of servers, like some of them will "de-level" people at a higher level so they only have the abilities of a lower level person, so they don't have an unfair advantage over people who haven't played the game as much.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Fraa JadFraa Jad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

And yes, I would love to see some more SMART videos. Really hoping it can be used to liberally change the flow of the game if you're clever with it. Placing turrets in really strange places is going to be fantastic.
    The fact that people comparing this to CoD tells me that more people need to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, because it's a mechanic straight out of that game, before CoD did it.

Fraa Jad on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played that game, but I thought medics healed you, not you yourself.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    So much coop goodness coming down the pipe. This, Serious Sam 3, and Saints Row 3.

Where am I going to find the friends?

Fixed that for me :(

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    warder808 wrote: »

No, it'll have like a tree of abilities you can get, and you build up one character that you use for all classes and stuff.

And you can choose to play on different types of servers, like some of them will "de-level" people at a higher level so they only have the abilities of a lower level person, so they don't have an unfair advantage over people who haven't played the game as much.

It sounds like the perk system will be more varied and more specialized at the same time. It sounds contradictory, but that is how I see it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/09/board-the-ark-at-pax-east-for-an-early-demo-of-brink/
    Listen up, PAX East attendees -- provided you're not already on some form of transit to Boston that's preventing you from accessing the internet. Splash Damage and Bethesda are hosting a demo event for their upcoming shooter Brink this Friday at a fairly unique location: At a cruise terminal on the Boston waterfront. Guests who attend the party at "The Ark," will find themselves awash with refreshments, goodie bags, and opportunities to participate in 8 vs. 8 multiplayer matches.

You'll have to catch a shuttle running from the convention center to the event from 8 - 11 p.m. ET if you want to attend. Sure, that sounds like kind of a hassle, but considering that folks aboard the Ark are also guaranteed safety once the raging floods consume the Earth, we think it's worth it.

Wait, it's not that kind of Ark? Well, what's the point, then?

This is crazy.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh christ that sounds like fun. Wish I could take off that kinda time to attend :(

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fraa Jad wrote: »

The fact that people comparing this to CoD tells me that more people need to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, because it's a mechanic straight out of that game, before CoD did it.

Yep. Just watching the gameplay videos of Brink makes me feel like I'm coming home to Wolf:ET or Quake Wars, but with SMART tacked on.

For those of you that have never tried a Splash Damage offering and are worried about medics etc, in previous games, people rarely ever stopped firing when someone fell down from damage, they stopped firing after the person on the ground stopped waving their arm around.

Well, that or they stopped firing and threw a grenade on the soon-to-be-corpse, ensuring that they were gibbed and maybe catching an over-eager medic in the blast range as well.

The only think about Brink that's making me a little uncomfortable is that it comes out about the start of my exam period.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It comes out like 5 days after I finish this semester, so I luck out pretty hard there.

Lemming on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fraa Jad wrote: »

And by CoD, that's the original CoD, not any of these newfangled ones. I remember when the RTCW server I used to play on ended because the admins wanted a CoD one instead... :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Want to know a dark secret?

Did not like Quake Wars. It was nothing but brown and dumb.

Then again I played the 360 port, so maybe the port was just stupid.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quake Wars ended up more about the vehicles than anything else, you could say it suffered from Battlefielditis. They also tried for asymmetric teams, which was vaguely interesting but led to a lot of early balance issues.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's probably the main reason I didn't try it, the fact that the aliens had guns that only overheated, which in my mind it meant you shot 15 shots instead of a human 30 shot rifle, but you can cool down faster than the human. I don't know, it seemed to make aliens more powerful in my mind.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    According to digibawb, as posted on Something Awful's Brink thread, there will be hard limits to the player count.

digibawb works at Splash Damage.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What does that mean?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Talkc wrote: »
    According to digibawb, as posted on Something Awful's Brink thread, there will be hard limits to the player count.

What do you mean? Only so many people can be each class on each side? That is a good idea.

Especially if they keep that guy who sort of yells at you when you pick an objective. I think that was a thing, right?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

What do you mean? Only so many people can be each class on each side? That is a good idea.

Especially if they keep that guy who sort of yells at you when you pick an objective. I think that was a thing, right?

It means there will not be 16v16 or any other crazy amounts of players in a match.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There's enough in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRWvbWzV-k&feature=related

to get me really excited but I don't like the new character customization screen and HOLY BALLS I better be able to turn off in game voices.

Pretty surprised you can't be female, too.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It means there will not be 16v16 or any other crazy amounts of players in a match.

Thank god. I hate that so many servers for so many games just up and fuck the map balance by adding MAX POSIBUL PLAEYRS! That gets incredibly aggravating once objectives and classes are tossed into the mix.

Every time the devs open their mouths I want to give them big hugs.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink, that video was at the beginning of the beta. I am sure a lot of things have changed since then.

check out this Brink compendium, it is fairly up to date:
    http://www.fragworld.org/frag/fragbook/groups/viewgroup/15-Brink-Brink.html

The "sergeant/officer/guy giving orders" thing is integral part of the game. VOIP is off by default, because the majority of players are jerks or silent on it, and SD wants to make the best team-based FPS around. They looked at what really good players did on their past games, and tried to make the game lead you in that direction. The really good teams all had amazing communication. Everyone did their class's job and followed orders. The VOIP off by default thing is a key part of their philosophy.

Are you trolling with the lack of female thing? That is a thing people do with Brink. If you are not trolling, the devs decided to have really awesome characters and character dress up pieces, and they didn't have the time or resources to do both male and female. They wanted a lot of variety and they know the majority of gamers are guys, so they went with that.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, with the level of customization available you could probably go pretty far into creepy/cringe-worthy territory really quickly with female character models. That's fine for some games, but I really don't want that here. And we all know that's where 99.9% of the female models would go with a quickness in the FPS community.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Are you trolling with the lack of female thing? That is a thing people do with Brink. If you are not trolling, the devs decided to have really awesome characters and character dress up pieces, and they didn't have the time or resources to do both male and female. They wanted a lot of variety and they know the majority of gamers are guys, so they went with that.

Trolling? Seriously? Just because I was surprised that there were no females? Nice.

And any developer knows that BECAUSE the majority of gamers are guy, you include females.

I'm fine with just the guys; they're all mega-sexy. Less chicks means more eye-candy for me.

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.