Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    So Rouge or Mage?
    anytime somebody does this i always laugh. picture some archer running around with a ton of makeup on his face
    Damnit. Rogue.

There so, help now? Or more jokes?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha. God damn it, Anders.
    So is there a way to shoot Anders down without him hating your guts?

TheBog on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Rouge or Mage?
    anytime somebody does this i always laugh. picture some archer running around with a ton of makeup on his face
    Damnit. Rogue.

sorry, i played as a Sword and Board warrior and DA:O
    (as an aside, he was an amazing warrior, bashing shields in dudes faces to throw them accross the room never got old)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Rouge or Mage?
    Damnit. Rogue.

sorry, i played as a Sword and Board warrior and DA:O
    (as an aside, he was an amazing warrior, bashing shields in dudes faces to throw them accross the room never got old)
    Yeah, I'm sure it's fun. I just play warrior in everything and I wanted to try something new.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I haven't played Awakening but I was under the impression that Anders was supposed to be sarcastic and laid-back or something

for the good ten hours since I've recruited him he has only been a pussy-ass bitch, consistently and without interruption

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    For the night terrors quest
    is there any way to not take an instant 10+ rivalry hit with merril on it? I've tried taking her, and leaving anders, taking her and anders, leaving her, taking numerous other combination and every time bam +10 rivalry
    Nope! Unless you don't have her in your party when you go, she gains rivalry with you for not taking her (because she likes demons) or because she succumbs to temptation and turns on you (in which case you can lose up to 20 rivalry)

Merril is straight up retarded I am sorry.
    Everyone who turns on you gains rivalry(which they all gain a convenient sidequest to make up or make worse after) , and to be honest without knowing what actually is going on in there there isn't a real reason not to take her. She has experience with demons, its dealing with her Keeper, and as long as you hear the demons talk before just killing them she doesn't care if you actually work with them. Just that you don't dismiss the option before hearing their deal. (I killed every demon in the game and Merrill didn't gain rivalry once, she approved most of the times)

Why would I listen to their offers they're DEMONS. SLOTH DEMONS AND DESIRE DEMONS THESE THINGS ARE PREDICTABLE.

THEY ONLY WANT ONE THING ARRRGGGHHHH

Also nthing that the itemization in this game is atrocious. It's like they learned nothing at all from Origins in that respect.

Thats the kind of closed-minded attitude that characterizes your kind. ;-)
    To be honest, I don't think she's totally wrong. There were plenty of opportunities in both Origins and DAII that let you gain power from demons with no ill effects, like when you confront the desire demon inside Conner's mind. Or dealing with the Sloth demon in the Mage opening. Or LATE GAME DAII
    Gaining free talents from the pride demon
    . I mean, its still usually a bad idea but it can have some pretty decent rewards with no cost if you're very careful.

And Merrill has experience gaining things for free from demons.
    So I haven't played Awakening but I was under the impression that Anders was supposed to be sarcastic and laid-back or something

for the good ten hours since I've recruited him he has only been a pussy-ass bitch, consistently and without interruption

Yeah, he was disappointing. He changed when he started hosting Justice.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

it's quite interesting if you have played awakening and listen to the first conversation you have with Anders because it's basically a flash forward of a year after awakening and some very interesting stuff seems to have happened in that missing year (he mentions Justice in that convo who is a major character in Awakening)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

He caught a bad case of angst during Awakenings, which has intensified greatly between then and now.

The doctors say it's fatal. He needs to be put down.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    man f you guys, i like anders
    (note i'm only in act 1 of DA2 and this is based just on awakening)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Brb taking Anders out behind the shed.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Rouge or Mage?
    Damnit. Rogue.

I would recommend Mage on your first run. It makes the game a lot more interesting when you're an apostate.

"Don't worry, I can help you escape the templars... I'm a mage, too."

Plus Mages are big fucking nukes. Even deadlier than they were in Origins. Dual Wield Rogues are fun... so are Archers... but, meh, the best Archer in the game, Varric comes free of charge, and right in the beginning of Act 1, no less.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So just finished Deep Roads.
    Damn it, Bethany is dead. This sucks she was my best mage. Don't like Anders and Merrill can't heal. I should have left her home.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mage Hawke just feels kind of absurd, story line wise. Why is it that Bethany needs to worry so much about Templars but Hawke gives nary a fuck, even working for them? No questions asked as to how he achieves these results in his robe carrying nothing but an oddly magical staff?

HEY TEMPLARS

THE GUY WITH THE HUGE MAGICAL STAFF?

PROBABLY AN APOSTATE

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    if the templars really wanted to start doing their job they could just arrest everbody who has the HUGE TALLER THAN THEY ARE STAVES FLOATING BEHIND THEIR BACKS

someting that always bothered me about the game

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spamfilter wrote: »
    So just finished Deep Roads.
    Damn it, Bethany is dead. This sucks she was my best mage. Don't like Anders and Merrill can't heal. I should have left her home.
    Even if you left her at home, she'd be out of your party until the end of the game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mage Hawke just feels kind of absurd, story line wise. Why is it that Bethany needs to worry so much about Templars but Hawke gives nary a fuck, even working for them? No questions asked as to how he achieves these results in his robe carrying nothing but an oddly magical staff?

HEY TEMPLARS

THE GUY WITH THE HUGE MAGICAL STAFF?

PROBABLY AN APOSTATE

Half of them know, or sympathize with mages, and just don't want to deal with your shit because you tend to help people and your enemies have a nasty case of coming down with dead.

Z0re on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also where does Hawke get dem Reaver powers

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    actually you know what else pisses me off in general about da/da2
    why are all the wapons just floating behind people's backs. the worst are the ones that leave a huge gap of air between the person and the weapon.

it looks terrible and lazy

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Just started the game on hard, wow this is actually difficult. I am usually stingy and don't like using health potions so I died on the demo ogre fight several time. Then I said fuck it and kited the ogre because this game has the AI of the average EQ mob.

Seriously though, kiting worked amazingly well.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Half of them know, or sympathize with mages, and just don't want to deal with your shit because you tend to help people and your enemies have a nasty case of coming down with dead.

Errr...where are you getting that number again? Because I was under the impression Kirkwall was infamous for its hardassed Templars.

Aside from
    Thrask but that's about it.

The more you think about it, the more absurd it gets. At least Origins Guy was a Grey Warden, he could hide behind that. Year 1 Hawke makes no sense. Here I am in Hightown hurf a durf gettin' attacked by thugs and shooting them with magic, anybody could just look out their goddamn window. Anybody at all, to see the light show.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys.

Tank Hawke? Best Hawke.

I will stand behind this position until proven otherwise, but seriously, because you play the tank, you can have all the fun party members. No more will you be bound by having to drag around that guard bitch!

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Errr...where are you getting that number again? Because I was under the impression Kirkwall was infamous for its hardassed Templars.

Aside from
    Thrask but that's about it.

The more you think about it, the more absurd it gets. At least Origins Guy was a Grey Warden, he could hide behind that. Year 1 Hawke makes no sense. Here I am in Hightown hurf a durf gettin' attacked by thugs and shooting them with magic, anybody could just look out their goddamn window. Anybody at all, to see the light show.

There is an actual reason that is expounded upon in late act 3. It involves certain politics of the Templar commander.

Z0re on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm having trouble pegging down Aveline with my dialogue options for quests and NPCs. Any mercenary job she really is watching over me, tsk tsking away.

With Varric it seems he likes the joke answers, and is trying to be dwarf Han Solo.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    With Varric is trying to be dwarf Han Solo.

i have been ok with this so far

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No more will you be bound by having to drag around that guard bitch!

I don't use her, I tank as a 2-handed reaver

like a bawss

dem 1k autoattack crits yo

EDIT: But fo reelz on another note

Does anybody else feel like there was a severe lack of dungeons in this game?

There's the deep roads... and that's it?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    is there any way to not take an instant 10+ rivalry hit with merril on it? I've tried taking her, and leaving anders, taking her and anders, leaving her, taking numerous other combination and every time bam +10 rivalry

Doing that one right now.
    You gain +5 friendship if, when the keeper pulls you aside, at the very end you say you can't be the one that makes him tranquil. If you say you will then she gets the +10 rivalry

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As I get closer to the end of Act 2, I'm still liking this game

But as with Origins, there is a sharp divide between Dragon Age production values and Mass Effect production values. The Dragon Age games never feel nearly as polished.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    By the way for those that informed me of the respec potions in the DLC market, thank you.

I have trimmed the fat and my team is now a lean mean death dealing machine.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The banter is once again totally awesome. Especially once you get Isabella. She's fantastic.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The banter is once again totally awesome. Especially once you get Isabella. She's fantastic.

Even the characters I didn't like as much had fantastic banter really.

I still maintain in year 1 Varric/Merrill/Carver is the best group for banter though. So good <3.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    what?
    so glad i'm a male hawke so i don't have to deal with that douche carver guy. what a pansy

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Cobra CommanderCobra Commander Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I've been completely lost in this game since release. Rogue Hawke is so much fun.
    Backstabbing everyone so hard they explode.

Fenris and Isabella -
    talking about lyrium infused breast tattoos? Might be the best thing ever.

Cobra Commander on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's based on class not sex.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    It's based on class not sex.

ah that makes more sense.
    my point still stands

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love slavers.

You can do whatever you want to them and not feel bad.
    "Okay, I told you where the boy was after you had your super elf shove his hand into my chest. Can you please show mercy and let me hobble away?"

"Pfft, no....you're a slaver."

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nope! Unless you don't have her in your party when you go, she gains rivalry with you for not taking her (because she likes demons) or because she succumbs to temptation and turns on you (in which case you can lose up to 20 rivalry)

I removed her from my party in favour of a Varric/Aveline/Anders/2H Hawke because I got tired of her attitude.

Night Terrors and also some swearing.
    The betrayal here was the straw that broke the camel's back. That stupid Dalish bitch has already endangered all of us, repeatedly, for ambition or plain stubbornness and refuses to fucking learn from her mistakes. She did the same thing to her own people with that stupid fucking mirror. Her bratty naivete is a huge liability and if I get a chance to murder her or make her tranquil by endgame I will do it without hesitation. Stupidity is a genetic tragedy, and selfishness can be learned or unlearned, but a combination of the two creates a perfect storm of incompetence that can only be solved by Hawkesplosion.

Frankly, if Morrigan can give you pointers on how to win friends and influence people there is no hope for you.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also who here knew the moment they saw Orsino that he was going to be a baller

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »

Anyone willing to
    share an uplifting story with my dog

is totally alright in my book.

Seriously, why would you hate her? Not Tali enough for you?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »

Anyone willing to
    share an uplifting story with my dog

is totally alright in my book.

Seriously, why would you hate her? Not Tali enough for you?

I think we've made fairly clear why we dislike her. She's incompetent.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ooh 9k mighty blow

I like merill because she gets some great dialogue

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.