As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire: The pilot is so close you can taste the incest.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well then they will continue to get aboslutely no money from me, while I enjoy all their shows for free. Thanks for buying the Tivo Dad!

they are already getting the money from your dad in this scenario, so they are pretty cool with that I think

But they could be getting money from me as well, that is the point.

The amount of money they would lose by offering JUST game of thones, or true blood for a substantially lower price than their subscription would amount to a loss.

Either they'd have to set the price for the series on its own high enough where you might as well just buy a subscription or they'd lose out. Now if you're talking about just avoiding the cable service altogether, yea it'd be awesome if HBO had its service online for like $30 a month, I mean that's more than they get from a television subscriber. We're never gong to get entirely ala carte (for live airing shows, for past shows sure) viewing, because they'd never be able to take any risks or fund new projects.

Hell wouldn't $10/month be more than they get anyways?

Probably not, because unless all their subscribers like 6 or more shows, they'd dump the subscription and a la carte the shows they like. Now instead of a subscriber paying $60/month for the whole channel (a subscriber who is able to check out all your other shows/movies/whatever), you have someone paying $10-50/month who doesn't really give a shit about your other shows.

HBO is $20 a month, at least through Charter

override367 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well whatever it is; someone was throwing around $60 so I used that as a hypothetical baseline.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry I didn't mean HBO was $60, but to get the service and everything else to lead up to HBO, so the package with HBO would cost me about that much.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yea I think most of us can agree the cable companies herp when they derp. If you could get just HBO that would be great, but getting individual shows for a few bucks is at present an unworkable business model

override367 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He could do what I'm doing - give one of my friends with TV $12.

I expect the show's run to be about 4 months. AT&T is doing an "upgrade to HBO, get first 3 months free" thing. So I pay for the fourth month. I get to watch it at his place (DVR'd, but we normally have a weekly "watch sci-fi and eat chili" night anyway, so it'll just be the first thing each week on that), enjoy the show as it comes out, and don't have to pay for TV as a whole.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, HBO itself isn't that experience. I've said on more than one occasion I would gladly pay HBO the cost of HBO via cable, if I could get HBO via not-cable.
    edit: Jragghen's plan was mine as well. However my buddy with cable is dropping it as soon as the basketballs stuff is over, and he's quitting his job in a couple months, so unless he finds something in the next couple weeks I'm not gonna be able to convince him to keep it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah maybe but I think the majority of people who get HBO are just the middle class and up family that wants something for their new TV or whatever and they get a package. But this is getting way too speculative, I just think that they could offer something for the poor college student who can't afford bundles and doesn't want to steal.

This is what people refer to as entitlement. The fact that you feel you are entitled to the content one way or another, and will steal rather than go without, is pretty fucked up. If you can't afford their content package, you just don't watch the show until you find a way where you can legally pay to watch it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah maybe but I think the majority of people who get HBO are just the middle class and up family that wants something for their new TV or whatever and they get a package. But this is getting way too speculative, I just think that they could offer something for the poor college student who can't afford bundles and doesn't want to steal.

This is what people refer to as entitlement. The fact that you feel you are entitled to the content one way or another, and will steal rather than go without, is pretty fucked up. If you can't afford their content package, you just don't watch the show until you find a way where you can legally pay to watch it.

I don't see any reason as to why the latter sentence should be the case.

But this is really a topic for another thread.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

But I can legally get the shows, I just have to go to my parents to watch them, have them record them for me. I would gladly for the shows at a reasonable price though.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, is there any word on who is going to play Gregor Clegane? He's supposed to be gigantic, so I'm quite curious if they're actually going to get a huge dude to play him.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Conan Stevens, according to IMDB.

He's 7 feet tall.

e:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14627&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=bf30f0dc83d914076d70a87a2227153f

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The name of the actor is, appropriately enough, Conan Stevens and he's 7 feet tall.

He's popped up in a couple of the behind the scenes docs, there's photo here

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Minor spoilery screencap from the guy's website, where he's fighting Sandor.
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14631&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=e51045d50dc4102191cbff35b1328108

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The guy playing Sandor is 6'6 for reference, and you can see in that screenshot that Gregor is clearly bigger.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That guy is GIGANTIC, but still in my mind Gregor is like 10 feet tall and near as wide as Lord Manderly without being fat.

Reminds me of when they were talking about casting bad guys for Conan the Barbarian. They said they really needed to find guys that were bigger than Arnold so he could look threatened. Tough job!

The Mountain in book 5:
    ZOMBIE/SKELETOR GREGOR SOOOOOOOOOON.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »

He's 7 feet tall.

e:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14627&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=bf30f0dc83d914076d70a87a2227153f

Holy shit.

The Mountain looks like a...

A...

Mountain!

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just hope the knight of flowers is beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-yew-teh-full.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We just finished reading A Game of Thrones and so we are onto a Clash of Kings.

It is crazy. The writing is SOOOOoooo small.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    i know gregor's actor

he posted on bodybuilding.com at the same time as me, we talked a bunch

nice fellow

Organichu on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HBO has put up a Game of Thrones iPhone app.

It's the best weather app ever.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »

He's 7 feet tall.

e:

Holy shit.

The Mountain looks like a...

A...

Mountain!

He also totally looks like the kind of dude who would
    push his little brother's face into a fire for playing with his toy.

V1m on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just hope the knight of flowers is beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-yew-teh-full.

Finn+Jones.jpg

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »

Does it just tell you winter is coming?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Monday: Winter is coming.
    Tuesday: Winter is coming.
    Wednesday: Plentiful sunshine. Nah just shitting you. Winter is coming.
    Thursday: Still coming.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps Spring wasn't the best time of year to launch this show....

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »

Basically the nerdiest thing I've ever put on my ipad.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps Spring wasn't the best time of year to launch this show....

It's @#$% snowing today in Boston. I blame the app.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We're expecting up to 6 more inches over the next two days.

Every now and then I wish I didn't live here. It's so depressing.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. Today's Maester's Path is up. Not sure what to make of it. I presume that we're supposed to work out the number system and just order via page numbers.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Monday: Winter is coming.
    Tuesday: Winter is coming.
    Wednesday: Plentiful sunshine. Nah just shitting you. Winter is coming.
    Thursday: Still coming.

Friday: Hodor Hodor Hodor.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have no idea about the puzzle. Just clueless.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I have no idea about the puzzle. Just clueless.

There's 10 characters, so it's almost certainly bound to be a numbering system of some sort. Not sure how it's supposed to tie to "touch" though.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hint
    That may help you, but I still had to google the answer.

Solution:
    Mormont, Lannister, Tully, Frey, Prestor, Targaryen.

Kryntek on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kryntek wrote: »
    Hint

Solution:

I clicked your link and then saw "Hmm forums"

So I clicked their first result which was "The Strongest Man in Westeros!"

And an argument ensued as to who the strongest man in Westeros was. The frontrunners being Robert and The Mountain.

There were a contingent arguing that Robert in his youth was probably stronger than the Mountain.

I made me sad/disgusted/miss this thread.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Robert wins jut for the balls of using a two handed maul in full plate armor

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hate to say it but I don't know if I'm feeling the acting in all of these short clips. Half is great, half seems a bit on the stiff side.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hate to say it but I don't know if I'm feeling the acting in all of these short clips. Half is great, half seems a bit on the stiff side.

That's sort of how I feel. I'm confident it will be better in context, though.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hint

Solution:

And an argument ensued as to who the strongest man in Westeros was. The frontrunners being Robert and The Mountain.

There were a contingent arguing that Robert in his youth was probably stronger than the Mountain.

If they hadn't qualified it with Westeros, everyone would know the answer was Strong Belwas!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hint

Solution:

I blame anime.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a pressing question and it demands a serious answer. Who would win in a fight: Goku or Lord Beric

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
This discussion has been closed.