As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    What can you do with the friend's code? (Except playing SF4)

See if they're only and what game they're playing. For example, Mantiz is playing Shadow Wars and Rhesus Positive is playing Face Raiders.

Face Raiders, by the way, is absolutely ridiculous. In a good way.

Don't try to use a picture of Chutulu for Face Raiders. It will not end well.

?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Could someone please give us some reviews of shadow wars.

And could someone please change the thread title to include the words 'unbelievable bastard europeans!' since the rest of us have to wait till sunday.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz: 2878 - 9572 - 9277
    Rhesus Positive: 3523 - 2023 - 9826
    Peewi: 3480 - 2527 - 9521
    Zoidberg: 1375 - 7188 - 8825

The Zoidberg has received the handheld.

He is lost to us now.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is great, preordering in January with expensive one-day delivery to find out that people who preordered this past week using the most economical delivery have got theirs and I don't have mine. Thanks Amazon.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz: 2878 - 9572 - 9277
    Rhesus Positive: 3523 - 2023 - 9826
    Peewi: 3480 - 2527 - 9521
    Zoidberg: 1375 - 7188 - 8825

Added you Zoidberg. We should play some Street Fighter.

The StreetPass Quest ghosts remind me of this comic. I hope I'm not the only one.

Peewi on
  • Options
    KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So can I play with my R4 cart?

Kworn on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just played the basic AR games, and bought the 3D tools, which are pretty cool.

Playing on a black table in a poorly-lit room is not a thing one should do. I've now got a slight headache, as the camera couldn't cope and I didn't move to a better place in time. Looks like I'll take a break before giving Rayman a go.

I also got three hours' sleep last night, which I imagine is contributing to the headache.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, this is out? I thought it didn't release in NA till the 27th! I can go buy one in a walmart tonight? Where would be the best deal to get one from?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's out today in Europe. Still the 27th for Americans.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jave wrote: »

Curses! Oh well, this is good I suppose. Anyone doing any neat deals or anything I can preorder?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, Amazon have dispatched Ghost Recon, but not my 3DS, boo :(

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I canceled my Amazon order of SSFIV cause of that BS, I'm going to get it and Pilotwings from TRU on Sunday.

I saw your frustration earlier, but you should have simply sent an e-mail to Amazon's customer service -- I just sent an e-mail this morning explaining how I preordered only because of the old promo, and they just responded a few minutes ago telling me that they were sorry for the confusion and they honored the old $10 promo credit offer. So now I get both promots. :P I've always had nothing but great experiences with Amazon!

The TRU offer is generally better if you're going to buy two games anyway, as you don't have to wait a few days for the credits, but now I got SSFIV for $30 and I have a potential $10 credit to use on a future 3DS game (I'm wondering if they'll ever add new 3DS games to the list, or if I'm stuck ordering from the original launch lineup).

I am jealous of you EU people and your fancy "THREE DEE ESS GAME SYSTEMS," but honestly I'm so swamped with work that I shouldn't be playing any games this week or next, so I don't mind waiting a while.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    but now I got SSFIV for $30 and I have a potential $10 credit to use on a future 3DS game

Um, didn't you just get SSFIV for $40? The potential $10 credit on a future game isn't making SSFIV any less expensive right now. Or did you have some other way of getting $10 off of Street Fighter?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    but now I got SSFIV for $30 and I have a potential $10 credit to use on a future 3DS game

Um, didn't you just get SSFIV for $40? The potential $10 credit on a future game isn't making SSFIV any less expensive right now. Or did you have some other way of getting $10 off of Street Fighter?

In all other cases you'd be entirely right—it's a fallacy that I see a ton of people submit to, and it's likely why so many retailers are okay with gift card promos—but in my case I paid for the game with $40 in Amazon credit, so it was like getting an instant $10 rebate!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure if the TRU deal is better. I mean, if you count the initial $25 from the system...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Walked into town and back and racked up a total of 6000+ steps.

I think this is likely because I was carrying the DS in my hand and I bet it shook around a lot more than if it was just in my pocket. Picked up a nice faux leather flip case to replace my battered gigantic DS lite case. Also grabbed Pilotwings and... Splinter Cell 3D? I could have sworn that wasn't a launch title.

Only read previews of it but decided to take a chance on it. Will post impressions later.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've finally tried the game I bought with the system last night. Rayman 3D is pretty excellent - the 3D graphics work well with the frequent changes in camera angles, and the controls for the camera work really well. The only issue is that sometimes the camera will clip through scenery, and the extreme foreground makes the 3D quite jarring.

Gameplay is standard cartoony 3D platformer, so if you've played any before you know what to expect. Overall, I'd say it's a solid buy if you have a hankering for some platforming action and haven't already played it three times on other systems.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    *sigh* My worst fears have been realized. Ubisoft is really outdoing themselves in bringing the shit for the 3DS launch, and apparently Splinter Cell is a HUGE STEAMING PILE of it...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/25060/splinter-cell-3d-review-nintendo-3ds/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/295238/reviews/splinter-cell-3ds-review/

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Walked into town and back and racked up a total of 6000+ steps.

I think this is likely because I was carrying the DS in my hand and I bet it shook around a lot more than if it was just in my pocket. Picked up a nice faux leather flip case to replace my battered gigantic DS lite case. Also grabbed Pilotwings and... Splinter Cell 3D? I could have sworn that wasn't a launch title.

Only read previews of it but decided to take a chance on it. Will post impressions later.

I don't think you get anything out of having more than 1000 steps tracked in a day. I got a notice about Play Coins that says you're limited to 10 a day.

Peewi on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really do think I'm going to hold out for Mario Kart 3DS.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hrm. Can't decide on a launch game. Amazon deal makes me want to get a game, since I want to get OoT when it comes out and the discount would be nice, but nothing in the launch lineup really strikes my fancy. Anyone played the Ghost Recon turn based thing? That looks interesting. I'm down between that or Pilotwings.

Totally getting pokemon though

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Speaking of Miis, you could transfer your Mii from the Wii Mii Plaza to your DS. Can you do the same with the 3DS?

Yes and no; the ability is there, but I think they are supposed to release an update for the Wii, which isn't available yet.

At least, that's my guess. I did as the 3DS prompted me to, and nothing came up on the Wii.
    It also looks like the Mario hat I won in Streetpass Quest only shows up on the Plaza. And after all those coins went towards hiring cats to fight ghosts.

I was a bit disappointed by that. Or at least, I will be a little more if they have a cowboy hat.

Still, the StreetPass thing is what other people usually see you through, so it's not too bad.
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Jave wrote: »

Curses! Oh well, this is good I suppose. Anyone doing any neat deals or anything I can preorder?

Bang.

Someone asked about Pictochat a few pages back. I don't think there's anything of the sort yet, unfortunately. 3DSWare?

And if anyone wants to know about the "+ cats" in nintendogs + cats...

And finally, is anyone going to be at the launch event tomorrow night in Toronto? I plan to be there.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm a little torn at the moment. Went to my local gamespot and saw that its €270, however if I were to trade in my ds lite + 2 games it'll be €200 a hell of a lot cheaper. Problem is though I still play GBA games on it so i'm having trouble parting with it. I mean I have the GBA SP but the brightness on it just sucks in comparison.

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    *sigh* My worst fears have been realized. Ubisoft is really outdoing themselves in bringing the shit for the 3DS launch, and apparently Splinter Cell is a HUGE STEAMING PILE of it...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/25060/splinter-cell-3d-review-nintendo-3ds/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/295238/reviews/splinter-cell-3ds-review/

Overall Ubisoft isn't doing too bad. Shadow Wars is everyone's second favorite launch game and Rayman hasn't been faring that bad with reviews and impressions - poor reviews seem more focused on the fact that it's an old and endlessly-ported game rather than any actual technical issues or glaring problems.

So that leaves Asphalt, which is more a Gameloft project than Ubi's, and Combat of Giants.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I'm gonna buy

Combat of Giants

DINOSAURS

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3D.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Speaking of Miis, you could transfer your Mii from the Wii Mii Plaza to your DS. Can you do the same with the 3DS?

Yes and no; the ability is there, but I think they are supposed to release an update for the Wii, which isn't available yet.

At least, that's my guess. I did as the 3DS prompted me to, and nothing came up on the Wii.

I tried it and it worked fine for me. Note that the only button it asks you to hold is 2. You release A, B and 1 right after pressing them. It also looks like after the Send to DS function has been used once, it is added to the buttons in the Mii Channel.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did a review of Nintendogs + Cats. Link.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is there any way to get pictures from the 3DS to other devices without an SD card reader? Although I do have a camera that could probably server as a card reader.

EDIT: Just because I can, here's a picture of my Mii and the QR code for it.
    cjj5l.jpgbCYow.jpg

Peewi on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay dudes, I have the site set up.

http://www.sirultimos.com/3ds

Right now you can't click anyone's name to email them, but I'll finish that up tonight. And make it prettier. Feel free to add all your friend codes and regions (I'm gonna have it so you can sort by region).

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sucks to hear that Ubi fucked up the portable version of Chaos Theory.

Again.

The first Nintendo DS version was... flawed but okay despite its shit ratings. The graphics were mediocre but serviceable. The controls were convoluted but actually pretty good once you get used to them. The touch screen served to tweak the camera and provide a "radar" of enemy activity, and the camera was never really that big of an issue and the radar was kind of useful. The game even had a multiplayer mode (local). The biggest problem with the game was that it ran at like 20 to 25 frames per second, and dropped signficantly with thermals on. Playable but choppy.

I was hoping that Splinter Cell 3DS would basically work the same way as Chaos Theory DS, except with improved graphics/audio and framerate. But apparently they felt that they could simplifiy the first game's complex controls by mapping every single in game action to a convoluted mess on the touch screen, and then make the camera both a pain in the ass and then map that to the face buttons. What the hell were they thinking. They also got rid of the different vision modes in favor of a single vision mode like the one from Conviction? Why? It was great having different tools at your disposal, I don't know if simplifying things like that was necessary or if it makes it more fun.

Really I'm just concerned that they effed up the controls real bad and it's going to be a pain in the ass to control. I'll try and watch footage of it before I buy. But if they had simply made the game just like Chaos Theory DS but with better graphics, I'd have likely bought it. But now I'm skeptical again. Thx ubi.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ubisoft making subpar ports!?!?! I NEVAH! D:

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Right now you can't click anyone's name to email them, but I'll finish that up tonight. And make it prettier. Feel free to add all your friend codes and regions (I'm gonna have it so you can sort by region).

Maybe you should put some linebreaks in between each set of name and code.

Peewi on
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Also, looks like it is using the same friend code for everyone - I put mine as 0000 and it made everyone's 0000.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I just realized my error. I'll take it down for one sec then fix it up. I knew there was one thing I was forgetting. Looks like I found out what it was :p

[EDIT] And there we go. I forget to set the index field to auto increment so it thought all users were the same. It's all fixed up now. Just have to change your codes back.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Already works. Looks great dude, thanks a bunch! Now to get my system...

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Some of the codes (including mine) is showing as "!@#$-%;^&*-??!!". Should I reenter it or can you fix it?

Peewi on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just tried to register, got:

"Error: Security word not enetered correctly. Please try again.Error: Passwords don't match. Please try again.Error: Please enter your forum username."

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ubisoft making subpar ports!?!?! I NEVAH! D:

:P

I know. And I almost always expect that now. But something like this.. I was kind of hoping they could have just done what they did before but make it run smooth instead of stuttery. But instead they went all nutso with the controls.

I hear great things about Shadow Wars so thats good at least.

slash000 on
This discussion has been closed.