As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS Games

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    Added you Green. I can't change your name from Mike to Green though.

The names that show up are whatever your Mii is named, I think, and can't be changed

Green on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just played with the AR cards for a little bit and I'm pretty excited for the technology possibilities

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My phone has a non-capacitive touch screen. It is really bad.

The DS one is... good enough I guess for having a decent stylus and good buttons. I'm a big fan of the thing above the dpad

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    resistive touchscreens are cheaper i think

also, harder to make styluses for capacitive

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And there'd really be no need for the extra resilience a capacitive screen could offer with the clamshell design anyway

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    does OoT have touch controls

I really enjoyed how they did things in Phantom Hourglass

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2011
    You don't move around with the touch screen like Phantom Hourglass, no. You use the circlepad. The touch screen is used for menus and to quickly switch items and stuff

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can see more games shifting to a more traditional control scheme since the devs will want to focus action to the top screen since thats were the 3D is and then just relegate the touch screen to menu navigation or secondary functions. I dont see a whole lot of companies putting all the action on the bottom screen like the zelda games had or canvas curse.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I can see more games shifting to a more traditional control scheme since the devs will want to focus action to the top screen since thats were the 3D is and then just relegate the touch screen to menu navigation or secondary functions. I dont see a whole lot of companies putting all the action on the bottom screen like the zelda games had or canvas curse.

But most people seem to play with the 3D function turned off.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been switching the 3D on and off when I play SSFIV

Like, I'll have it on for a bit, then some motherfucker who keeps spamming hadoukens shows up and I am like OKAY SERIOUS BUSINESS TIME and I turn it off because I need all my concentration for my minimal SF skill to work.

Sure is pretty with it on, though.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't liked the 3D on any of the tuff I've messed with, so whenever I get one I'll probably just leave it off (or turn it on for a second to see what a particular game looks like)

Hopefully developers will find a way to use it to the game's advantage instead of just "cool it's in 3D!"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Butters wrote: »

The thing is, you can instantly switch from 3D to not 3D with the slider. And I'm not sure "most" people have been doing that. You might have just been reading about enough people doing it that it has scared you off.

I'm sure as more games come out they are going to get better at the whole 3D thing, what we have so far is only the first wave. I think ultimak's point makes sense, that developers are going to want to focus stuff on the top screen because of the 3D. I don't think there is going to be this big move to just abandon the 3D aspect of the 3DS.

Artreus on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    monkey ball was too 3D for my eyes to handle at max settings so I turned it down to about 80% and it's gorgeous

unintentional on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought a used DS game at Gamestop today and they don't even put it in the blank case anymore

He just handed me the cartridge and receipt

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's like black market trading.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I bought a used DS game at Gamestop today and they don't even put it in the blank case anymore

that's because a good 90% of the DS games traded in get traded in with no box or anything, and a good 80% of the people buying don't care

you could ask them to give you a blank case. i mean, they don't have to but they'd just be being dicks if they didn't

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Butters wrote: »

This statement is based on scientifically conducted opinion polls and statistical analysis, I'm sure. ;-)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    God that winking smiley is the worst thing

Artreus on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God that winking smiley is the worst thing

Be thankful PA's vBulletin doesn't use the eye-rolling smiley, which is immeasurably worse.

Speaking of vBulletin, fuck "the server is too busy."

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I know one of the gamestop employees and they said that that they had switched to that system because of space issues and because of the fact that most people dont seem to trade in the game with the case.

@butters: I see your point, but I dont think devs are going to just not use the selling point of the system. There will be games were the 3D probably doesn't come into play much depending on genre though and for those I could see the bottom screen being the focus instead of the top.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

We don't have blank boxes just sitting around for our games that come in without one, so we put them on a display shelf. Still just handing someone a cart is a bad idea since it's so small, I just stick it in one of the CD envelopes.

Green on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Like, I'll have it on for a bit, then some motherfucker who keeps spamming hadoukens shows up and I am like OKAY SERIOUS BUSINESS TIME and I turn it off because I need all my concentration for my minimal SF skill to work.

Tell me about how the online is

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »

I've experienced lag like, twice, and I've done probably 30+ games

A lot of the people on there so far seem to have about as much experience as me (very little), though there are quite a few dudes who are straight spergin' at Street Fighter.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So when you win a round of Street fighter, a V just means you won, a U means you finished with an ultimate combo, S means super combo.. what does C mean?

C means you won with chip damage, it is the little bit of damage special moves do even when you are blocking

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think it mostly automatically pairs you with people who are about at your level.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »

I've experienced lag like, twice, and I've done probably 30+ games

A lot of the people on there so far seem to have about as much experience as me (very little), though there are quite a few dudes who are straight spergin' at Street Fighter.

I am impressed that nintendo is finally doing some good work with online.

Monster Hunter 3d and Smash Bros 3d gogogogo

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what do I do with the rest of these AR cards? Is the "?" the only one I can use yet?

Has anyone messed around using this thing as a pseudo mp3 player?

Also I LOVE the little thumbpad

SO NICE

Arch on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Probably gonna upgrade to one of these whenever RE: Mercenaries comes out.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    So what do I do with the rest of these AR cards? Is the "?" the only one I can use yet?

SO NICE

Once you play the first AR game, one of the unlocked boxes is a thing that lets you pose the different characters on the cards. It's pretty neat.

I'm hoping we get more cheesy AR games/cards, they're really fun.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arch wrote: »

SO NICE

Once you play the first AR game, one of the unlocked boxes is a thing that lets you pose the different characters on the cards. It's pretty neat.

I'm hoping we get more cheesy AR games/cards, they're really fun.

I didn't think those cards would be any good but I was definitely surprised.

Although it seems to often lose sight of the card, but I'm probably just moving too fast.
    Fighting a dragon that pops out of my desk was awesome.

Aeyther on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Capcom needs to also make MvC3 for this.

...and whoever mentioned Smash Bros 3DS being a good idea is correct.

Dys on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't use my 3ds as an mp3 player as the battery life seems to be pretty shitty and I would rather just use my actual mp3 player that lasts for days

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    NINTENDOGS 3D:

SO FUCKING ADORABLE

I grabbed it from the shelf walked up to the counter, slapped it down and said "NO SHAME."

The guy just kinda

stared at me for a bit.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He probably would have stared at you less had you just bought it without saying anything.

Also I kind of enjoyed nintendogs on the original ds but I think I will pass on this version. Though the 3d and improved graphics probably look really cool

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah the 3D in this is pretty awesome

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so i just signed up for an addendum to my job which requires me to stay some fridays and/or saturdays at hotels

which pretty much necessitates that i pick one of these guys up

convincing yourself that a luxury good is instead a commodity is a good feeling

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so i just signed up for an addendum to my job which requires me to stay some fridays and/or saturdays at hotels

which pretty much necessitates that i pick one of these guys up

convincing yourself that a luxury good is instead a necessity is a good feeling

Ivar on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fridays and Saturdays in hotels for work sucks balls.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought about it last night Homeworld would make an awesome 3ds game

Brainleech on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    aaahhh I just impulse bought one of these with my birthday cash aaahhh it'll get here tuesday aaahhh

VALVEjunkie on