As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis 2- I would recommend against buying this game

1343536373840»

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the very arbitrary range of attachment availability was a clumsy attempt to make the game more difficult by preventing you from silencing the most dangerous weapons.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Run out of the jungle. Wait for half a minute for suit energy to recharge.
    I will agree with your point (omitted above) that shooting with Strength mode on in Crysis 1 drained your energy very very fast, but I have to take issue with your comment I did quote. Turning on speed mode and not holding sprint meant you were walking at a little more than your typical, non-speed mode sprinting speed, and without draining your energy one iota. However:
    In my Crysis and Crysis Warhead what happens when I try to pull of the stuff you describe is the above. Which frustrated me back then and still is, making sneaking or incredibly drawn out firefights with lots and lots of waiting for suit energy to recharge the only way to succeed in the game.
    It's absolutely not the case. Most battle setpieces and base assaults in the game allow ample foliage cover and concealment, and Crysis/Crysis:WH you can put that to excellent use without the need for cloaking or sitting in one place exchanging fire for ten minutes. Oftentimes, taking a few potshots, killing a Korean or two, then sprinting off into the jungle only to come around and flank the group who is looking for you is a perfectly fine solution. I'm sure you have heard this before, but one of my favorite runs was using nothing but speed mode and armor, and playing the jungle assassin. Did you ever try using the foliage and your mobility to your benefit?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just made a choice between Cloak Tracker and Visor enhance. I choose Cloak Tracker because of the "maximum visibility" of cloaked enemies. But now I'm stuck with killing 500 cloakers untill I get to tier 3 with that one? How long is that going to take. I'm up to 8 atm... And the effect tier 1 CT has is near neglectable!
    So I'm afraid I choose poorly.
    And my stealth is really bad, I'm lvl 12 power and lvl 11 armour, yet only lvl 5 stealth. So it'll take a while until I get to unlock the visor upgrade :-/
    What do you guys to in order to get stealth points? Stealth kills don't seem to get me that much at all.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In my Crysis and Crysis Warhead what happens when I try to pull of the stuff you describe is the above. Which frustrated me back then and still is, making sneaking or incredibly drawn out firefights with lots and lots of waiting for suit energy to recharge the only way to succeed in the game.
    It's absolutely not the case. Most battle setpieces and base assaults in the game allow ample foliage cover and concealment, and Crysis/Crysis:WH you can put that to excellent use without the need for cloaking or sitting in one place exchanging fire for ten minutes. Oftentimes, taking a few potshots, killing a Korean or two, then sprinting off into the jungle only to come around and flank the group who is looking for you is a perfectly fine solution. I'm sure you have heard this before, but one of my favorite runs was using nothing but speed mode and armor, and playing the jungle assassin. Did you ever try using the foliage and your mobility to your benefit?

This. All of it. Especially the bit about the no cloak mode run, because I did the same thing as well (even did a no cloak / armour run), and all it did was make the game even more fun as I started realising more and more of the possibilities available.

Speed mode was almost always way more effective at keeping you safe than armour mode, most people complaining about its "uselessness" never even bothered to find out about that.

subedii on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have nothing to add to the dispute currently going on, having never played any of the crysis games myself, but can I just say
    You know Battlefield, right? If they added the ability to switch to fists in order to punch faster then you could theoretically run up to your enemies and bash their heads in very fast. Sounds awesome, isn't possible. Just like in Crysis, you'll end up shot, rendering this ability pretty much useless unless you're going one-on-one.

JUST LIKE IT SHOULD BE
    /fuck knife lunging

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    subedii wrote: »

This. All of it. Especially the bit about the no cloak mode run, because I did the same thing as well (even did a no cloak / armour run), and all it did was make the game even more fun as I started realising more and more of the possibilities available.

Speed mode was almost always way more effective at keeping you safe than armour mode, most people complaining about its "uselessness" never even bothered to find out about that.

What you have to realize is that most people who played Crysis just simply followed the waypoint on their map and did nothing beyond that.

The ability to play in the sandbox, to play in the vast territory, murder everyone in the area, in inventive ways no least, or do a bunch of shit that doesn't involve killing anything (am I the only one who played through Crysis by not killing anyone, instead using the knockout rounds?), vehicles, etc.

Those people don't know what it offered. It was just another shooter to them, because they played it as such.

My main gripe with this one isn't the graphics. They're shit (shit's a strong word, they look nice and all, but the actual area chosen for the whole thing to take place in is shit concrete gray, thus, shit), sure, but that was just part of it. The heart of Crysis to me was the gameplay.

A fucking tank level you could do on foot or in a tank, or however. I mean fuck me.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

What you have to realize is that most people who played Crysis just simply followed the waypoint on their map and did nothing beyond that.

The ability to play in the sandbox, to play in the vast territory, murder everyone in the area, in inventive ways no least, or do a bunch of shit that doesn't involve killing anything (am I the only one who played through Crysis by not killing anyone, instead using the knockout rounds?), vehicles, etc.

Those people don't know what it offered. It was just another shooter to them, because they played it as such.

My main gripe with this one isn't the graphics. They're shit (shit's a strong word, they look nice and all, but the actual area chosen for the whole thing to take place in is shit concrete gray, thus, shit), sure, but that was just part of it. The heart of Crysis to me was the gameplay.

A fucking tank level you could do on foot or in a tank, or however. I mean fuck me.

Or do in a tank till you run out of tank round and finish the rest of the gigantic level on foot/in jeeps.

Was it possible to hijack a Korean tank? I never tried.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think so, but there were some empty tanks every so often in the level

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crysis 2 let's me stealth HMG. Before that, I found the game dull. Now, what else do I need?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Joril wrote: »
    I just made a choice between Cloak Tracker and Visor enhance. I choose Cloak Tracker because of the "maximum visibility" of cloaked enemies. But now I'm stuck with killing 500 cloakers untill I get to tier 3 with that one? How long is that going to take. I'm up to 8 atm... And the effect tier 1 CT has is near neglectable!
    So I'm afraid I choose poorly.
    And my stealth is really bad, I'm lvl 12 power and lvl 11 armour, yet only lvl 5 stealth. So it'll take a while until I get to unlock the visor upgrade :-/
    What do you guys to in order to get stealth points? Stealth kills don't seem to get me that much at all.

One of the major things tracked is simply time spent using the various suit modes. Just be more liberal with Stealth mode. I'm 10-10-11 (Stealth) because I never let my suit power bar sit at 100, I use Stealth when I'm changing mags, I use Stealth to cross Wall Street, I use Stealth at the start of matches to get the jump on everyone who immediately goes into Power Sprint so they can "find the fight" faster, I use Stealth when I'm watching out of a window for targets. My default movement mode when I'm in no hurry and just looking for targets of opportunity is to move along crouched and Stealthed.

As for "Stealth kills," assassinations aren't the only way to add to your score in that area. Any time you kill a target within a few seconds of breaking Stealth will add to your Stealth score. The problem comes with people who simply shoot their guns out of stealth or hammer the Stealth key then immediately fire, overloading their suits and draining their entire energy bar. If you really want to boost your ability to drop surprised targets without exposing yourself, use the Stealth Enhance module. It's a much better upgrade then people give it credit for, even at level 1.

The faster transition out of Stealth lets you start shooting almost immediately after coming out of Stealth, without getting a flash in your eyes and losing power. Faster transition into Stealth is pretty crucial if you're an opportunistic Stealther who engages the mode to stalk targets that haven't yet seen you, as without it there's a solid second and a half usually where your suit flickers halfway between Stealth and Visibility which is rather noticeable. The long haul to level 3 on Stealth Enhance is a bit tricky, but once you're there the lowered energy drain of Stealth becomes a huge advantage. If you're still enough you can almost hold the mode as long as Alcatraz on single player, which is amazing.

Stealth Enhance (lvl 3) + Mobility Enhance (lvl 1+) makes the sprint-stealth combo a shockingly effective option for flanking targets in Multiplayer.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I fondly remember my no guns strength/speed mode crysis run

probably one of my favorite moments ever in my entire gaming history

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was wondering how my comp would fare with this game... 9800GTX+ in SLI, Core 2 Duo e8400 3.0ghz, 4gb ram, win7! My monitor is 1080p so yeah.

Thank you dears.

donhonk on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a way to get more ammo in multiplayer? I keep looking for ammo crates but there aren't any. Several times I've had to resort to the pistol, which isn't ideal. And running over dead bodies doesn't seem to refill my ammo either.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Run out of the jungle. Wait for half a minute for suit energy to recharge.
    I will agree with your point (omitted above) that shooting with Strength mode on in Crysis 1 drained your energy very very fast, but I have to take issue with your comment I did quote. Turning on speed mode and not holding sprint meant you were walking at a little more than your typical, non-speed mode sprinting speed, and without draining your energy one iota. However:

Okay, now tell me where's the difference between

- A. Cloaking and either sneaking or stealth-killing your way through
    - B. Activating maximum armor and hiding behind vegetation - a.k.a. also stealth-killing

I've got a steel suit of nano-armor that weighs god-knows-what, needs extreme training to use but that can't withstand a direct assault of two standard weapons for more then a second in a mode called "maximum armor".
    What you're implying is that all the modes are best used in hit-and-run tactics which heavily utilise hiding and staying out of sight/concealed. That's not what I want when I play Crysis, that's what I want when I play stealth games that focus solely on that aspect.

My problem isn't not being able to kill soldiers. I can utilise cover, concealment, flanking, surprise attacks, grenades from the back etc. pretty good myself. The thing is that the first game did not allow you a direct assault. The second game takes away features that allow for really complex tactics, but there's something that somewhat makes up for it: Verticality. Now you can't kill one enemy in a group of soldiers from behind and disappear into the foilage; What you can do is jump on buildings, jump down from buildings (when you were up to begin with, of course) or sometimes even disappear into the sewers. Yes, I miss the high speed sprinting/movement of Crysis just as well and think they shouldn't have taken it out, but there's still a lot of strategic options there in the sequel. Power mode wasn't really taken out to begin with, all the features are there - at least I haven't found anything that didn't make it. Power jumps, powered punches, stabilizing aim, grabbing/throwing enemies - that's all still there. The only thing missing is speed mode, which imho could be mostly made up for by just raising the sprint speed to two times its ammount.

Edit: Regarding the very first part of your response: True, I never denied that. Though walking in speed mode didn't seem all that useful when you could just wait and then sprint again.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

- B. Activating maximum armor and hiding behind vegetation - a.k.a. also stealth-killing
    Since you missed this part, I'll re-quote it:
    mobility

Also, you were lamenting having to wait around all day a) for your energy to recharge, or b) in a prolonged direct firefight. Was that your complaint, or is it not being able to attack any confrontation directly like you were a human-sized tank?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Warcry wrote: »
    Hell, I'm confused as to why they did away with the wheel select for powers, something that would be highly intuitive even on consoles. Look at Prototype.

Your middle mouse button would like to have a word with you, assuming you're playing on a PC. Granted the options aren't as complex (lack of strength mode), but it IS there. I can't speak for the consoles, since I got the game for the PC.

I think the game is great, looks great on a PC. Probably looks as good as the original, if not better.

The motion blur is overdone, and they do sure like to use their bloom effects, which is unrealistic as all hell. Try going into the darkest room you can, until your eyes adjust and then go out around noon-time. It's not 3 seconds of overblown light. You automatically squint which reduces your pupil's aperture, but causes bluriness. Things are a bit brighter, and a bit blurrier, but it's not that dramatic. That's among my realism pet peeves, along with lens flare. Lens flare occurs because most high tech cameras have like 7-12 lenses, when they aren't perfectly coated light bounces around and causes the lens flare effects. Our eyes have essentially two lenses (inner cornea, outer cornea) so there is no way that you would ever see a 'lens flare' with normal eyes.

/rant off :)

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Since you missed this part, I'll re-quote it:
    mobility

Also, you were lamenting having to wait around all day a) for your energy to recharge, or b) in a prolonged direct firefight. Was that your complaint, or is it not being able to attack any confrontation directly like you were a human-sized tank?

Well, that's not true. You're mobile in cloak just as well. Not super-speed fast of course, but you can move, switch between sides of the road, etc. I'd say we should stop arguing about this particular point, because a) there seems to stand optinion against opinion, b) we both don't like not having super-speed in Crysis 2, making the whole thing somewhat redundant anyways.

To the latter: My complaint isn't waiting for the suit energy to recharge, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not fine with many of the overexaggerations of what you could do in the original Cryis when you really couldn't. I swear, everything mentioned before I can't do, as written in one of my posts a page ago. I CAN'T jump over soldiers with super strength and drop a grenade. I tried that and died. Yeah, I could quick save and reload about five times until it worked, but that's no fun. Why do all people praise Crysis for things it didn't have? I agree that I think it's a a)awesome lokking game and b)more strategic game, but it just does not offer the options many people think it does and that Crysis 2 lacks.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Lowlander wrote: »
    The motion blur is overdone, and they do sure like to use their bloom effects, which is unrealistic as all hell. Try going into the darkest room you can, until your eyes adjust and then go out around noon-time. It's not 3 seconds of overblown light. You automatically squint which reduces your pupil's aperture, but causes bluriness. Things are a bit brighter, and a bit blurrier, but it's not that dramatic. That's among my realism pet peeves, along with lens flare. Lens flare occurs because most high tech cameras have like 7-12 lenses, when they aren't perfectly coated light bounces around and causes the lens flare effects. Our eyes have essentially two lenses (inner cornea, outer cornea) so there is no way that you would ever see a 'lens flare' with normal eyes.

The nanosuit makes you see more light bloom and lens flare.

Cause it's a nanosuit and does stuff to your eyes.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, that's not true. You're mobile in cloak just as well. Not super-speed fast of course, but you can move, switch between sides of the road, etc. I'd say we should stop arguing about this particular point, because a) there seems to stand optinion against opinion, b) we both don't like not having super-speed in Crysis 2, making the whole thing somewhat redundant anyways.

To the latter: My complaint isn't waiting for the suit energy to recharge, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not fine with many of the overexaggerations of what you could do in the original Cryis when you really couldn't. I swear, everything mentioned before I can't do, as written in one of my posts a page ago. I CAN'T jump over soldiers with super strength and drop a grenade. I tried that and died. Yeah, I could quick save and reload about five times until it worked, but that's no fun. Why do all people praise Crysis for things it didn't have? I agree that I think it's a a)awesome lokking game and b)more strategic game, but it just does not offer the options many people think it does and that Crysis 2 lacks.

For sure there are a lot of options that are taken out, that are kinda prohibited in an urban environment. You make a good point about super speed, I had forgotten about that. I mean, a lot of times, I found that if I was in trouble, I could cloak into the nearest brush, wait a second, decloak, charge up, super speed into some brush farther away, and then cloak up and catch those Koreans from behind while they were all looking for me in that first bush.

The fact of the matter is that in an urban environment you just don't have the freedom of miles and miles of jungle everywhere. I guess that might have been offset by maybe allowing you to up your strength to jump like two stories high or something...

Still I think that the streamlining of the suit was sorta in the right direction. Putting your two modes conveniently located to WASD helps a lot, better than the wheel I think.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the way speed is handled in the game is dumb.

The enhanced running speed isn't any faster than what I see in other modern fps, and it drains power I could be using for something else. I'd be happier if there was an option to run without using speed, because right now it's just a crappy alternative for stealth or armour when it comes to moving from place to place. It's one suit power that feels anything but super-human.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Page- wrote: »

The enhanced running speed isn't any faster than what I see in other modern fps, and it drains power I could be using for something else. I'd be happier if there was an option to run without using speed, because right now it's just a crappy alternative for stealth or armour when it comes to moving from place to place. It's one suit power that feels anything but super-human.

I'm loving the game so far, much more than I expected to, but the sprint is probably the most nagging problem for me. It doesn't feel super-fast at all and the fact that you don't get a non-boost sprint makes it function the same as any other game's sprint at basically the same speed. In MP it makes people blur, too, even if they don't really move more than a step they get this blur streak over them for a moment or two and it's annoying and just looks wrong. It could be the game not playing well with my GPU or something, but I've seen a few complaints about the blur effect acting up.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Page- wrote: »

Yeah, I feel you there, I'm still early on in my first playthrough, and the only way you can sustain stealth without the upgrades is to constantly move in the crouched mode. I mean I wish I could walk at a normal pace and not have my energy plummet, but if I get out of crouch, stealth is shit.

edit: One thing I have to give this game kudos for is the +1 ammo. Other FPS's should learn from it. If I chuck in a new magazine when I have only fired 24/30 I will still have a round in the chamber, so I should have 31 bullets. On the flipside, I should also lose 6 bullets from my remaining ammo (which they don't model.)

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just came here to say that this thread's name is silly.

And so is the OP.

Carry on.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just beat the Pinger! Intense!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On the flipside, I should also lose 6 bullets from my remaining ammo (which they don't model.)

Why would you lose those 6 bullets? What if you put the magazine back into your pocket?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ragequitting seems to be a problem in multiplayer. I was just playing Team Deathmatch where we were at 45/50 and they were at 33/50 when the game stopped and it tried to migrate the session. Unfortunately, the migration never works and it just kicked me back out to the multiplayer menu. See, this doesn't seem fun. It's not fun to play most of a game and have it end without getting any xp just because the host was on the other team and ragequit. The game should finish when one team reaches 50 kills. There shouldn't be a way for the losing team to rob the other team of a victory by pulling the plug.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On the flipside, I should also lose 6 bullets from my remaining ammo (which they don't model.)

Why would you lose those 6 bullets? What if you put the magazine back into your pocket?

Now I'm a Navy guy, but I've trained with the Army, and I've been to Iraq. If shit was hot, I would drop the magazine and never look back.

I understand that videogames are inherently unrealistic, I mean walk over a corpse collect 60 ammo.

If both I and my opponent were weilding m-16's then I would pick up any magazine that felt heavy enough to be worth carrying. Emptying a magazine is time consuming, you have to push each round out one at a time and then thumb them in to a new magazine.

Given that you can carry six to ten magazines of 30 rounds, for an ammunition total of 180 to 300 rounds, and given that you are a lone operative, without squadmates, I would definately not take the 30 seconds or so to reclaim 6 rounds.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was recommended against buying this game and then I bought it anyway and the singleplayer campaign seems to be very fun so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to hate it.

Why am I supposed to hate it, guys?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I finished the single player but ruined it for myself by over-using the cloak to just get to objectives with hardly any fire-fights. I can't work out what I don't like about this game, the graphics are ace for the 360, and the gameplay seems pretty fun. It could really do with co-op, or multiplayer that worked better, or had more diverse maps. One of the things I loved in Modern Warfare 1 was the difference between playing in asylum against playing in the big field with the tunnels level. Everything I've seen so far in Crysis 2 is really same-y. Will probably sell it for need for speed shift tomorrow

TPSou on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    I was recommended against buying this game and then I bought it anyway and the singleplayer campaign seems to be very fun so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to hate it.

You're not?

I'm mean I feel Crytek got some of the essentials wrong, and I'm not willing to buy until those are fixed. But nobody's TELLING you to hate anything.

subedii on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Your combat suit makes your vision worse?

Glal on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So how might a chap go about accessing this post-human difficulty ive heard such good things about? Just finished on supersoldier on ps3 and I WANT MORE!! Ahem.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

That_Guy gives us a handy list of reasons in the OP, but they're mostly bullshit, multi related, or YMMV.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Worst OP ever. Seriously, its just plain obnoxious and rude. Also, why so critical about multiplayer? Crysis 1's multiplayer wasn't very good either, as I remember.

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    Your combat suit makes your vision worse?
    Obviously, the nanosuit is linked into your brain and provides you vision through its own camera system. Or something.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Someone make a new thread with a non-moron OP.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.