Options

The Free MMO Überlist

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spiral Knights head start is up, yay! People that participated in the preview event or earlier get a cool beta testers set of armor too. It's t0, but has a nifty skin.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    I was thinking about pets the other day and it's such an obvious feature I'm surprised it took free MMOs so long to implement it. Think about it: your players like cute creatures, in fact: the little shits probably look up pictures of puppies and kitties every day.

It's such an easy feature to implement too: no one expects decent path finding or AI from their pets, we're still totally OK with summoning and resummoning our pets every time we jump down a ramp in Pay to Play MMOs.

It's a beautiful money sink: make the pets have stamina/mana/live energy/loyalty that can only be replenished by a special item and you'll have every player in your game spending in-game/cash shop money on that item.

I don't like pets much, I enjoy playing classes that don't rely on a finicky NPCs trailing behind them. Exceptions are pets that I can have a lot of control over, like in LOTRO or WoW. I want them to be a vital part of my class instead of a little ball of fur adding some dps to my actions.

I could totally write a black book on "Shit no one wants to see in MMOs any more" by now.

Kingdom Heroes has a pretty decent pet system. You get 2-6 soldiers (depending on character class) which you raise from conscripts into a number of different specializations. They generally don't get hung up on terrain (they teleport/respawn next to you if they get too far away), and allow for AFK grinding if you're a Tactician (they get 6 soldiers). You don't get total control over them, but they only get 1 special attack and 1 skill (usually a buff), and they use them intelligently enough.

You do have to keep them loyal with cash shop items, though. Players sell them for in-game currency, and some minor loyalty items do drop from mobs, but you will almost certainly have to drop some cash at some point.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got into Metal Assault beta.

Impressions and VIDEOS incoming.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm in the beta as well. While I cant do any video, I can give some first impressions too. They are pretty high though. I rather like it.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not sure if these games have been mentioned in the thread yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NVDeI7MtqQ&feature=player_embedded

War Inc. is a team-based shooter that's in closed beta. Apparently the devs are being really good about fixing bugs quickly once they're reported. I'm planning on looking in to see if it's any better than Mars War.

---

Also, it looks like Cosmic Break did well enough to warrant an English translation of its prequel, C21. The video that Cyberstep has made available is too short for me to bother linking.

---

...And there's an English translation being made of another side-scrolling beat-em-up, Elsword. I've heard it's related to Grand Chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpaD6CLExs

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elsword looks like it will be fun as hell. Also, the giant sword thing.. lolriffic.

I'm also giving a +1 to Microvolts. It's quite a bit more fun than I was expecting.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elsword DOES look good. Plus, there's nothing wrong with more action MMO's. I hope it has good controller support, because that looks like the kind of game that needs it.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awesome, thanks Skul! I'll add Elsword to Promising Titles, the other two don't look all that awesome to me, so I'll just put them in my database and post them once I hear about the games going open beta/live.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heads up, War Inc. is horrible.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Here it is, the 40-minute Metal Assault impressions and review.

First up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CoYeLdp_Qg

As advertised, this is basically the first 15 minutes of the game, unedited. You start out being able to choose from 4 pre-made characters. They all have different base stats, and later on they get a few unique skills. They don't quite fall into classes, except for the obvious heavy and sniper. However, each character can use all the basic weapon types.

You can pick from a few different hairstyles and faces, though the faces are just different eyes that you can barely see anyway. I went with whatever I figured would stand out the most on screen, so I wouldn't lose track of the character.

You get dropped into a short, optional tutorial, then into the hub, where you're introduced to the quest NPCs. Everything there is fairly simple. There are huge flashing arrows to follow so you don't get lost, and the entire hub city is 3 different areas that are all pretty small. At any time you can go straight to gameplay, you don't actually have to walk all the way to the east end of town.

There no graphics options. Everything is on default, I couldn't even change the resolution. There's windowed and fullscreen, a few options to hide player names and helmets, and that's about it. You can reconfigure some controls, but not all. And the ones you can't change kind of restrict the ones you can. For instance, you can remap movement from wasd to anything else, but you can't remap the basic skill quickslots from Q and E.

There are 3 distinct modes to play with. The first, the one I did in the video, is the Mission Mode. This is where you do story missions, PvE, and I guess you can compete for high scores. Everything is fairly simple. You move to the right and shoot everything in the way. This seems to be where you'd complete the majority of NPC quests as well.

The gameplay is not Metal Slug, it's Soldat-light. Moving with wasd, jumping with space, shooting with mouse1. You can bring different weapon with you on a mission, but you don't have to bring ammo. You start with a default stock of ammo and enemies will drop ammo kits in every mode. It's possible to run out, but the different weapons don't seem to share, so you can switch in a pinch.

The weird thing after the missions is how you get loot. During missions you get cards that let you buy a chance to pick one of the boxes, which are randomly filled with different types and qualities of loot. It's totally random.

Next up, I tried the pvp. I wasn't sure how this would go, since I was level 1 or 2 and still had my default gear, and didn't even know how to use my skills -- you'll see that a few minutes into the PvP game I figure out that I have a healing skill that's mapped to Q.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePk0c9hi1AQ

Fortunately, most of the players are pretty terrible, and I was able to dominate easily without having any clue of what I was doing. There are different maps and modes the server can choose, this one was a simple TDM race to 100 kills. There's some sort of capture mode as well, where each team tries to hold different points on the map, and some other stuff I haven't tried.

There were people who were higher level than me in the game, and ones who had better weapons, but it seems like each player gets a default base of hp and mp to work with. I saw later that you can get slightly better weapons around level 5-8, but I'm going to stick with the assault rifle because it gets the job done, but there are other weapon categories to invest in, from shotguns to pistols.

There are individual side-goals each player gets during a PvP game, like I got one that was "Get 4 kills with headshots." If you finish them, you get an xp and money bonus after the map. I also got a 20% bonus for being the "Ace" of the game.

Lastly, there's another PvE mode which is a base defence against waves of zombies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04q70H-dyPQ

At first I had no idea what was going on here, and it looks like I was spending points on all the wrong things between rounds (I kept buying health, thinking it was a health boost, but it was just a full heal). Anyway, there are 10 rounds or so where the zombies charge at the base in the middle of the map and the players have to keep them away. You can die, but if the team survives the round you will revive. Or you can spend in-game currency to revive instantly. Those coins are very limited unless you buy them from the cash shop. I had no idea, which is why I used a couple in an earlier PvE mission (the jumping mechanics take a bit to get used to).

One thing that you can see in the Defend mission is that the game gets really weird when the servers start to lag. When there's a lot of shit going on, the lag is quite obvious, and you can see that my cursor starts to act up. It looks like an aim-correction system starts to take over, because suddenly my crosshais will lock on to an enemy and track them whether I want it to or not.

All in all, I liked the hour or so I put into it, and I'll play some more. If I find anything else of interest I'll record it or whatever.

I'll have to put more time in to figure out how the levelling works. Pretty sure I levelled up a bunch of times, and I got some skill points, but it only let me improve 1 skill, though it says I have points left over. There are a bunch of universal skills, both active and passive, like the self healing, repairing, and speed boosts. I didn't see any obvious stats to raise, no way to increase hp or mp or defence without buying gear -- and the gear all increases stats in percentages, relative to the character's base, so you can't buy gear that's +500 damage. Unless there's cash shop stuff like that, I haven't looked.

There's something called licenses you can buy for the different weapon types. You get them with what looks like experience, but I have no idea what increasing the license level does. I'd imagine it ups damage and accuracy and such. It also keeps track of how many kills you get with each weapon, and you can see your pvp k/d ration in the character's stat screen (and other people's, if you check them out).

So, yeah, could be a decent game. At least everything in it is simple and quick. You can jump on and do a 10-15 minute PvP or Defend mission and get money and xp whenever.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay. A few answers to the questions you bring up.

That actually IS the auto aim. It's incredibly sticky, and best turned off. There's an option for it in the menu, thankfully.

With skill points, you probably didn't have enough. For some strange reason, you don't get many skill points, but even BASE skill upgrades cost seven or more points. From what I think, not all of them are terribly useful, I just pumped them into healing and upping the damage and reload of rockets.

The License system is actually used to buy new weapons. You have to be at a certain rank with the licenses to be able to buy the better weapons. I've mostly pumped it into rifles, since they ARE basically the best weapon for any job.

I agree that the jumping is very odd, and takes alot of getting used to. It makes platforming levels in mission mode EXTREMELY aggravating.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that it might just be me, but the difficulty seems....off. At least for mission mode. I go levels upon levels with no problem whatsoever, and then I get to a boss which oneshots me with every single attack.

On another note, there are actually TWO versions of co-op mode depending on the map. Two of the three maps I've seen are you defending a base from zombies, while the other is trying to go from the first floor of a building to the roof. I have actually not yet seen a winning game of either.

Sadly, the game mode that I most wanted to see, the PVP "Zombie infection" Is either not IN the beta, or nobody has been playing it, so I don't know about that one.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've played the chopper co-op level.

It's basically a dps meatgrinder, that scales to the number of players and has a time limit.

So the only way to beat it is to have enough players who can put out enough dps to get through the later floors before the time runs out. A few players with substandard gear, or who can't stand in place and hold mouse1 down properly, will sink the entire thing.

Plus, it's really hard to see anything.

Not the best mode going.

It would be easier if I could figure out a way to prevent new people from joining. New players don't get the post-round upgrades, so they're more of a drain as the game goes on.

I got to floor 7 or 8 before we just ran out of time. With about 6 players it would be manageable, with 12 players constantly dropping in and out, it's impossible.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. I've never seen past floor 8 myself. I've usually been in groups of almost max, of course, which makes it almost impossible to see. I suppose turning off the blood would help but Eeeh. I mostly stick to mission mode anyway.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for that Page-, gave me a pretty good idea that that game is not for me. I'd lose track of where my character was all the time.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elsword looks cool, although I wish someone would come out with a more Western fantasy style of that kind of mmo - side scrolling D&D Tower of Doom, basically. Dungeon Fighter Online is sorta close to what I mean, but with a more D&D 2nd Ed. art style.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    High fucking five. I'd play that shit all day long.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RO, the game everyone copied before they copied WoW, is F2P now.

http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=75601

MKR on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MKR wrote: »

You could already play it for free legally, but I see they're rolling out a new scheme for their current 'VIP' servers.

Not that anyone in their right mind should play RO in this decade.

Cheers for the heads up. :^:

Aldo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

You could already play it for free legally, but I see they're rolling out a new scheme for their current 'VIP' servers.

Not that anyone in their right mind should play RO in this decade.

Cheers for the heads up. :^:

Ive got no idea how that game is still so popular and going. Its gameplay is super outdated at this point.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Same way people still play UO and EQ1. Nostalgia + intimate familiarity with the game make up for a lot. "Bullshit grinding" suddenly becomes "oh man, who wants to do an XYZ run, those are the best!".

Glal on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RO's also a bit pretty, and there's a TON of different music in the game. For some of us, that's a pretty good plus.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm running around with an archer on Valkyrie until the F2P update. I don't even remember what characters I have on the other servers. D:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    RO's also a bit pretty, and there's a TON of different music in the game. For some of us, that's a pretty good plus.

Oh i used to play the shit out of RO back in the day, it was my first real MMO. I loved it once upon a time. Don't get me wrong. I think free to play is definitely the right choice for them in the end. It just surprises me that game has lasted out so long. I think my fondest memories of it are actually sitting in that water town with the boats with my friends, chatting about things and just hanging out, then gathering up and hunting for loot. The music was really good in that game, even by todays standards.

It's hard to believe I was a beta tester for that game before it even came out, i remember playing a thief and he had no skills because they weren't implemented yet. Still though, the game esentially has no quests at all and only grinding, that kind of gameplay is pretty outdated now. Eq1 is also a ghost town, just to burst that bubble, i logged in for nostalgia sake with a friend last year during the $2 sale on steam and we were the only ones playing on pretty much our entire server. We ran into 1 other person within our month of play time.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played back during the beta a long ass time ago. I'll admit nostalgia definitely overpowers everything else about the game.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So...Spiral Knights just launched. I'm not sure it qualifies as an MMO; but if GW and/or Vindictus does, I don't see why it wouldn't. But it is a free to play game. I'm not entirely sure what the deal with it is as I don't see any sort of real money store on teh site or anything.

Anyway, dorked around in it for a bit; seems pretty fun. A little top down co-op in the vein of Zelda with some Diablo mixed in. For the cost of zero USD I think it's worth having some fun in.

Should it get its own thread? I figured it'd have had its own already; but there seems to be little to no interest in it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been playing Spiral Knights since its launch a couple days ago. It's a blast, and even better when you get a few people playing together. I'm Kyanilis in game, of course, if anyone wants to friend me and run a few areas.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spiral Knights is like Zelda 4-swords. Enforced teamwork and all that.

It does have a cash shop; you pay moneys in exchange for steam energy, which is related to revives and such in-game, I think? There's like three major currencies in the game.

The item system is a bit odd, as your equipment has "heat", which is item level, and a star rating, which is how effective it is to start with, I guess? It is a lot of fun, although I was somewhat disappointed to get to a point where the game basically says, "Your stuff it crap; go back and do it all over again until you can afford decent equipment."

The community seems nice too. This might be in part because loot is handled as close to automatically as possible, and each member of the party gets a copy of every crystal you haul out of a level.

As much fun as this is, it definitely needs a thread.

Frem on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but Paradox Interactive (people responsible for Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, and other strategy games) announced free-to-play MMO, Salem. It's supposed to be released in 2011.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem

Features:

Persistent and mutable world.
    Crafting, farming and building.
    Open PvP combat with permanent death.

Full text from their website:
    Salem
    The Crafting MMO

Salem is set in a fantastical New England and offers free form massively multiplayer gameplay in a persistent, mutable and online world. With players taking the roles of intrepid colonists from the Old World seeking to make lives for themselves in the New, Salem provides them with unique crafting, farming and building systems inspired by 17th century alchemy.

Cast in a mold of cute-gothic Salem's lighthearted art style makes for the perfect contrast to the otherwise grim realities of open player-versus-player combat and permanent death. Experience Squonks, Hidebehinds, Witchcraft and the fullest freedom of a sandbox conceived in Liberty.

It looks custom-made for PA forumers: permadeath, sandbox, crafting.... :winky:

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Have you see the Salem videos? It looks incredibly dull.

Elimination on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spiral Knights is fun, yeah. (On as Walker.)

I agree the boundary to get into Tier 2 is a bit jarring. At this point I've soloed depth 5-7 a couple times when parties dropped out, yet the game still says my stuff isn't good enough to try starting the next monster level with a party. At least that's gotten me more of the 2-star mats to use, I should be ready for tier 2 in another day or so.

Edit: It's interesting that even for the 2-star equipment that's available in the NPC shops, right now it's far more cost-effective to buy the mats and energy (with crowns) to craft them. I wonder if we're just in the phase before inflation sets in or what.

Mith on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spiral Knights in browser based, yes? Can you also download a client or not?

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I just did. You're right, nothing spectacular. Nothing to see, just move along....

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yes and yes; they've put the out-of-browser client a bit out of the way, but it's there.

Mith on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mith wrote: »
    Edit: It's interesting that even for the 2-star equipment that's available in the NPC shops, right now it's far more cost-effective to buy the mats and energy (with crowns) to craft them. I wonder if we're just in the phase before inflation sets in or what.

I came to a similar conclusion, although, is there a material trader? I ran around in the market district but didn't see one.

Mith wrote: »

Yes and yes; they've put the out-of-browser client a bit out of the way, but it's there.

The out-of-browser client got installed when I went to the play page, although it did initially start installing the game from there. Maybe that's just because I'm using Chrome and not Internet Explorer or something? But I didn't even have the option to play in-browser.

Frem on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JohanFlick wrote: »

I just did. You're right, nothing spectacular. Nothing to see, just move along....

It's the Farmville + Animal Crossing with PermaDeath™ MMO you've always dreamed of but never thought was possible! :winky:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You do want the equipment it suggests to get into T2. Trust me. I did in the preview a couple weeks ago. Stuff hits a lot harder there. I had several pieces of 2 Star armor with maxed heat and was getting brutalized if I wasn't careful.

The star rating on equipment is basically the tier. If you look it, the bars on it show it's power, and there's a faded bar that shows what it can grow to with heat.

If you craft an item, there's a chance you'll make a unique variant, which might have extra resist, or reduced charge time.

Energy is used for pretty much everything. Elevators cost 10 energy per use, unless you're going back to town, or one of the rest areas every 4 floors. There's "Mist" energy, which you slowly recover, enough to get 100 per day, which maxes out at 100. When you complete the tutorial you get a one time use item that replenishes 100 mist energy, and again when you make it to T2. I assume the same or similar occurs at 3. Crystal energy can be purchased via real world money, or can be bought with the in-game generic money, crowns. When it opened it was running about 1200 crowns per 100 CE. Last night it was about 1850. Glad I bought about 300 energy early :). Energy is also used to unlock special gates that extra treasure, or super hard arena style fights with nice rewards if you can win. You use energy to revive, which scales exponentially if you do it multiple times in one dungeon run. 2, 5, 20, and so on.
    It costs energy and crowns in addition to mats to craft items. The star tier costs for crafting as i recall are, starting from 0 stars: 10, 20, 50, 100, and I haven't gotten any farther.

The last currency is tokens. You find tokens from certain chests. Usually one per each floor or two. Though some floors are treasure floors with more. There's a vendor in Haven that sells trinkets and certain mats in exchange for them.

I play as Tofystedeth, and since i'm often playing other stuff, I'm willing to use my mist energy to craft stuff for folks on days I'm not using it for playing, if you provide recipes I don't have and the mats.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OK, one of you fuckers should make a Spiral Knights thread, we've already talked about this in the Screenshot thread.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If nobody's done it by tonight I'll try and get something up. Start thinking up good guild names!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If nobody's done it by tonight I'll try and get something up. Start thinking up good guild names!
    Considering you're all playing as robot knights it shouldn't be too hard to think of something appropriate related to PA. ;)

Aldo on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was playing this game yesterday and its hells a lot of fun. Does anyone know if we can Effectively use a 360 controller? As in all I need from my lelft joystiq is to face and move my guy I am directing him at. Not one or the other.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
This discussion has been closed.