As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks Scos, looks pretty decent.

Aldo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So i'll go ahead and plug Faxion. It's done by the developers of Shadowbane, which was a great game, but is very old now. It focuses heavily on PVP, and takes place in a persistant world where the PVP changes the face of the map/world itself depending on which of the two sides is winning. Cash shop will be only used for customization options (clothes and stuff.) and XP boosting items to help leveling, in the hopes that the cash shop will never unbalance the PVP.

Game sounds great on paper, but not sure how it plays yet. It is in open beta RIGHT NOW, so yeah. Anyone can hop in and try it. It sounds promising enough and different enough for a F2P game, at the very least it wont be an asian grind MMO. Though some of the character models look downright horrific in this game, mostly the eyes on the females...they freak me out.

Apparently the game also has multiclassing in it, as well as a skill queue to allow your character to progress while you are logged off to alleviate grinding and focus more on the PVP and world events if you are so inclined, though it still offers a grind and quest PvE if one so wishes to do things that way.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    rustyzipporustyzippo San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Downloaded and installed Faxion. Only lasted 10 minutes though. The sprites are downright ugly and the game looks dated. Plus the gamma seems to be cranked way up and I couldn't find a setting to lower it. I might end up giving this another try due to its pvp focus at later levels. Eh, we'll see
    This video pretty much sums it up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yYhDkx26Y

Gonna give Shin Megami Tensei a shot.

rustyzippo on
    Steam:Reign48
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah the game looked really ugly to me too.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I too can vouch Faxion is Crapxion.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks Elim and Rusty, it looks terribad. :lol:

I just realised the name's a word play on "faction"... you know, because the game has two of them...?

Aldo on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I gave up on Faxion after 10 minutes as well. It controls just like shadowbane, but with only 2 sides it won't have any of the interesting player driven content.

Metal Assault on the other hand has been pretty fun and a nice diversion for a half hour here and there.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just wanted to say how much fun I'm having with Runescape. I just started a couple weeks ago and I did subscribe pretty quickly, but the game can be very fun even if you're not subscribed.

sumwar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    sumwar wrote: »
    I just wanted to say how much fun I'm having with Runescape. I just started a couple weeks ago and I did subscribe pretty quickly, but the game can be very fun even if you're not subscribed.

o_O Really...

Elimination on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

o_O Really...

There has to be something in there that is enjoyable, maybe...

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

o_O Really...

To be fair, Runescape was given a pretty significant facelift a while back. It still pales in comparison to most newer MMOs... but then, how many older games don't?

[Edit]
    ...And it looks like Elsword's now up. Trying it now.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've given Elsword a shot. It feels sorta incomplete. I don't know if it's just the early content, but I feel like I'm on a rail with enemies set on it, along with an occasional quest.

All of the combat happens in the dungeons. You basically go from the left side of the stage to the right side, running into monsters and smashing buttons until they die. The gameplay feels 2.5D, both literally and figuratively, no depth.

The dungeons do split off into different paths, but it's basically a choice of door A or door B, with an "elite" monster down one of the paths. The bigger, badder monster has more health, does more damage, and looks different... but that just means you have to hit him a few more times.

Leveling is pretty typical for your Korean MMO fare. You gain skill points, assign them to a skill tree, then use your abilities you've bought with them on occasion because it's a different button to press. You can gain titles that give you a few stat bonuses for completing certain objectives.

You find gear and various other treasures from the enemies, and gain gear from completing quests. The gear progression has been fairly linear so far, with a few set bonuses. You can enhance your gear like you'd expect: talk to an NPC and spend a special upgrade gem on the item with a chance to fail, which increases the higher the upgrades get.

I'm only level 9 so far, but the game hasn't gotten me hooked in the least. I might shoot for 20, and see if things get more interesting a bit later on, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably just forget about it, and end up uninstalling it next time I clean up my hard drive.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elsword's gameplay is shallow, but it's at least relatively snag-free. Even on a very full channel, I haven't had any real problems with lag. ...As opposed to, say, Spiral Knights, which is nearly unplayable for me. I'm still only at level 4, but the game seems enjoyable enough that I plan on sticking with it for a while.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've gotten a few more levels under my belt, and I just think that the earlier dungeons are better played solo. Even if the dungeon is a couple levels above you and you're running through it on "very hard", it's still pretty damn easy... but at least it's a little more enjoyable. The gameplay design just isn't working well for groups of players. If you bring in four players to a dungeon, everything gets completely obliterated in seconds. If you go it alone, then you get to trade a few hits with enemies instead of watching them explode.

It does run well, I'll give it that... and it seems like the PvP might be fun, basically a platforming fighting game fuckfest. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The only reasons to take on dungeons in groups are because there are rarer loot drops when there are three or more party members, and because stamina drains less quickly for everyone, meaning more dungeon runs overall.

I tried the PvP for the first time... and it was a horrible experience. The game relies on P2P connections for the PvP, so it's really easy for the match to get thrown off by one or more of the players being a lagger. Next time I head in that arena, I'll make a point to keep an eye on what the other players' ping rates are, and avoid fighting the (intentional?) laggers.

Otherwise, the PvP feels a lot like Super Smash Brothers. There's options for both team battles and free-for-alls, along with the option to include items that cause different effects. Like shrinking you. Or giving you superpowers. Also, taking an arrow to the face hurts. Ow.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is ARGO still terrible? I love me some Steampunk too and would love to play a good non cutesy Steampunk game.

Also, I started playing Forsaken World yesterday and it doesn't seem too bad, but then I have only put a few hours into it.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

o_O Really...

To be fair, Runescape was given a pretty significant facelift a while back. It still pales in comparison to most newer MMOs... but then, how many older games don't?

Runescape was my very first MMO years ago, back before the game went 3D. I only subbed to it briefly with my friend for a while when I was younger but me and him had some good times in that Java based adventureland. It's lacking in places looking back, but I would still recommend it to anyone interested in trying out an MMO, specifically one with a sizeable free section and no item shop silliness.

All rune armor is way too easy to get anymore, I prefer the black armor skins.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My son (age 6) is playing the Marvel Superhero Squad MMO. It's aimed at kids, but for those of you who have them, I highly recommend people avoid it. It's the most blatant cash grab I've seen in some time.

From what I've seen so far, this should sum it up:

You have two types of currency, Gold and Silver coins.

The primary lure of the game is to buy all the hero characters.

Free players get mostly Silver coins. Your access to Gold is nearly zero.

Almost all the characters cost Gold. The ones that cost Silver? Those are in a separate "Members Only" store.

PvE content consists of what amounts to "minigames" in the two social areas (city themed areas featuring the Daily Bugle or the Baxter Building), and "missions" where you and up to three other players take on enemies.

The missions are pretty simple, and for winning you're awarded tickets, XP, and silver. Tickets get you spins on a prize wheel where you can win gold, silver, or items. If you land on Gold, those spots on the wheel flip over and become Silver. If you're a member, those will flip back to Gold every day. If not, they stay Silver.

Oh, btw - you only get one mission. The others are unlocked with...you guessed it...Gold.

You can get two free weeks of member status by putting in the code "heroup" on the main page. Since I had signed him up for the closed beta I received a code in the mail that got him some Gold and a free Captain America. Right now he's spending the day grinding for more so he can buy Spiderman (with Gold) and Iron Man (members-only store, silver).

Safe to say he's getting an important lesson right now. :D

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This?. It says it's not available in my area. =/ I'm not sure your kid is old enough to really get how he's being swindled out of his free time. If he talks to other kids the lesson he is most likely to learn is that to succeed in games you need your dad's credit card.

Aldo on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    haha, well...he's learning how to work for what he wants, anyway. ;)

I'm not putting any money into it, that's for sure. He's enjoying it...for now. I have a feeling once he's gotten all the characters he can get and the two free weeks of membership expire...essentially preventing him from getting the others...he'll get tired of it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "He'll get tired of it"?

Is that a joke?

Astale on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The kid of one of my cousins has all the pokemon. He has all of them. And he has them sorted by type and then by strength. He also has a lot of pokemon toys. He also got those sorted by type and strength. Sometimes I swith 2 around and he will not pay attention to his mom until he has fixed that problem.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, it looks like Elsword has officially launched. Considering they were already selling things in the cash shop during open beta, there hasn't been much difference. Just a couple new classes that each of the main characters can level up into, along with a free skill point reset that expires on the 18th.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    PuppetShowJusticePuppetShowJustice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I see NEStalgia listed in the game list but I don't see much talk about it here. Which seems a shame. It's a total gem and I can't put it down. How can you not get pumped after watching the YouTube trailer?

PuppetShowJustice on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I see NEStalgia listed in the game list but I don't see much talk about it here. Which seems a shame. It's a total gem and I can't put it down. How can you not get pumped after watching the YouTube trailer?

gosh, let's see:

number of posts - 1

join date - minutes before posting

and the place you decide to make your grand Penny Arcade Forums debut? in the free MMO thread praising a game no one has spoken of in weeks.

nice try, shill

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Would you have preferred I go around posting nonsense in the other threads to get my post count up before talking about something I was interested in talking about? I found the appropriate thread and figured I could drum up a decent conversation about a game I thought was worth talking about.

I guess I'll go around insulting some games first before I speak well of anything so folks won't think I'm some sort of paid drone. Pardon me. Next time I'll think before I attempt to stir a conversation about a free MMO in the free MMO thread.

PuppetShowJustice on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Some other folks were excited about it a while back, but I don't think they ever really got into it. Me for me: the NES age was right before I was old enough to comprehend videogames, so I don't have nostalgia for the games NEStalgia brings back to the screen. I think that is a bit of a requirement for people to get hooked to this title.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's a fair point. It very much wants to be the online version of an old early 90s Dragon Warrior style game. And that's very much a niche thing these days. Then again I suppose it was a niche thing in America at the time it was relevant too.

PuppetShowJustice on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Some other folks were excited about it a while back, but I don't think they ever really got into it. Me for me: the NES age was right before I was old enough to comprehend videogames, so I don't have nostalgia for the games NEStalgia brings back to the screen. I think that is a bit of a requirement for people to get hooked to this title.

It doesn't help for me that the guy who develops NEStalgia is a complete asshat. I've had to spar with him several times over the issue of fan-games on Byond. He just doesn't seem to get that that's where most of Byond's population, and a good deal of it's originality in ideas, comes from.

Trying to hold a civil conversation with him regarding the mores and trends of game design on Byond is like trying to talk to a brick wall that can fling shit. I'm told he can be quite personable on other issues. But trying to talk to him about game design turns him into a raging, elitist dick.

There's also something of an issue, that the guy might have been trying to sabotage his competition on the fan-game side by siccing a few copyright holding companies on Byond using false claims.

He claims he never sent the notices that got a bunch of innocent games de-listed, and canceled. But got rather silent after some evidence that was dug up by someone who frequents his blog. His blog, for the record is frequented regularly by some members of the Byond service, and had a post showing a smarmy "lol gunna send this notice of profit via copyright infringement" picture, complete with response emails.

His actions, whether directly, or not, (The other running theory, that's even more plausible, is that he provoked someone else to do it.) lead to a huge number of games getting de-listed and "suppressed" by Byond, most of which hadn't even done what he claimed. Some of those same games had player-bases that numbered in the thousands, and were direct competition to, or severely out-classed NEStalgia on the population and features front.

I did dig up some interesting information on NEStalgia, too, which kind of pissed me off, given the developer's personality.

At least some of NEStalgia's turfs (The map tiles, essentially.) appear to be slightly edited versions of old NES games, according to several people who've done a compare and contrast. This is a big no-no, according to most official design groups on Byond, and to the Byond service itself, as stealing work from someone else and profiting from it is against the service guide-lines, and, in several cases against the law.

Byond is apparently cool with it however, according to an old forum topic I dug up, since they aren't "exact" copies. But that left me with a bad taste in my mouth that only helped to keep me from playing it. Especially given the crap that's gone on on that service lately.

I could go on. But I really don't want to seem like i'm ranting. Suffice to say that, coming from someone who's been on the inside of the Byond development community, both the game and developer absolutely reek of shadiness to me.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So Elsword is a stinker... Its way to easy and just not really all that fun. A shame because the graphics are alright and the concept is nice. Also gender locked classes are lame, and if you want to customize your character AT ALL (Even basic stuff like hair colour/style.) you have to cough up real money. It also has the whole 2 different currencies thing for items, so basically everything costs real monies if you want to get anywhere or have ny semblance of fun. And it isn't cheap, its like $5 for a vanity item t-shirt with no stats.

Elimination on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone playing the Drakensang beta?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh is that a thing already?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drakensang beta? Isnt that a single player game? I had no idea that was something on the horizon...

Also Pirates of the Burning Sea is awesome fyi. Been hooked on it with some friends, its improved significantly since i played back on release day when it was still pay to play. The game is awesome now, leveling curve is in the sweet spot, cash shop does not effect the PVP or main game at all what so ever. Spend $14 for a month, and you unlock everything, never have to pay again if you dont want to. Even without paying, the limitations are nothing game breaking, the only annoyance would be the amount of ships you can carry. Anyone who subbed to the game in the past or bought the boxxed game is automatically a premium member and doesnt have to pay anyways (like me.) but really, the game is awesome.

Going to be starting up a society soon if anyone else is interested, will give more info later once its all up.

Elimination on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have played the Drakensang beta and was underwhelmed. It plays like Diablo with really bad pacing and unsatisfying combat. Clunky, slow, probably very early stage development given that the entire UI looks like placeholder and much of the text was untranslated.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Took a look at Drakensang Online, yeah it looks underwhelming to me as well. It only has 2 classes? And it does not look like it plays like the single player DRakensangs, games i enjoy quite a lot. It just doesn't really even look like Drakensang at all.

Elimination on
  • Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just read that Age of Conan is about to join this list.

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Dagon wrote: »
    So finally a chance for everyone to check dem tittays. Thanks for the heads up.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    The Dagon wrote: »
    So finally a chance for everyone to check dem tittays. Thanks for the heads up.

I can see it now: they'll announce a free & premium account structure. Premium accounts get nudity, free accounts don't.

Horny nerds everywhere will consider it a good investment, and send them $$$.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’ will receive a digital re-launch this summer under the new name ‘Age of Conan: Unrated’. As well as reaffirming its position as the sexiest and most savage MMO in the world...
    Speechless.

It's no wonder they failed.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They use the word sexy a lot in that press release. I dont find anything particularly sexy about a some dork running around with no top on as a female fapping to pixel tits.

Elimination on
This discussion has been closed.