As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stargate Universe: Getting good just as it ends (Spoilers Ahoy)

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That must be one badass newspaper staff to survive a drone attack.

The actual newspaper held up pretty well too.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the alternate timeline crew were kind of dicks for not mentioning anything about the drone race. I mean, they a) it's part of the story of how they got stuck on that planet in the first place, so it's sort of relevant. And b) they had to figure that their descendants would eventually become space faring, and the drone race would still be out there, so it might be nice to issue a word of warning.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's actually disappointing that the episodes have started to get interesting.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From Joseph Mallozzi's blog, about the last episode:
    Late last year, after watching the producer’s edit of Epilogue, Carl expressed a sentiment that has echoed throughout fandom since the episode aired: “That would have made a great series finale.”. Yes, in hindsight, it certainly would have. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case and Stargate: Universe WILL end on a cliffhanger. Now I’ve noted some discussion here and elsewhere on what, exactly, I mean when I refer to it as “a cliffhanger”. Am I, as some suspect, referring to it in the sense that SG-1′s finale, Unending, was a cliffhanger? In a word: no. Unending was NOT a cliffhanger by any stretch of the imagination. We knew SG-1 was done and Robert told a story that (like, say, Cheers) suggested the adventures of the characters we’d grown to know and love would continue, whether we were witness to them or not. Other fans have pointed to the Atlantis finale, Enemy at the Gate, and wondered whether the Universe finale, Gauntlet, is a cliffhanger in similar fashion. In the same word: no. Enemy at the Gate was NOT a cliffhanger. While the episode certainly left some questions unanswered (what of Todd, Teyla, and Ronon who had taken the voyage to Earth?), it offered closure of sorts. Atlantis finally returned the the Milky Way and our crew finally returned home. At the time we wrote Enemy at the Gate, we were hopeful that we’d be getting that sixth season pick up (Hell, we had a batch of stories ready to go) and, when it failed to materialize, we were disappointed but took solace in the fact that, at the very least, fans wouldn’t be left hanging. No, the Stargate: Universe series finale, Gauntlet, is not a cliffhanger in either respect. It is a true cliffhanger along the lines of a Camelot, Incursion II, and The Siege II. The kind that, once it ends, will leave you asking yourselves: “How the hell are they going to get out of this one! Can’t wait until the next episode!” Except there won’t be a next episode, much less a next season. Also, in response to a question several have posed: Unfortunately, the last few episodes build upon each other so simply switching the airing order wouldn’t have helped. You could consider Epilogue the series finale and move on to some other show (I hear great things about Breaking Bad) but that would rob you of two truly awesome episodes in Blockade and Gauntlet. Both deliver action, adventure, humor, and some terrific character moments. Gauntlet, in particular, is very touching and its conclusion will no doubt you leave you…among many other things…frustrated, incredulous, outraged, offended, annoyed, vexed, saddened, distressed, bitter, aghast, irritated, unsatisfied, pissed-off, melancholy, miserable, confused, furious, dejected, riled, shocked, heartsick, angry, surprised, exasperated, indignant, enraged, despondent, bewildered, dismayed, incensed, stunned, and grief-stricken.

Fair warning.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Late last year, after watching the producer’s edit of Epilogue, Carl expressed a sentiment that has echoed throughout fandom since the episode aired: “That would have made a great series finale.”. Yes, in hindsight, it certainly would have. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case and Stargate: Universe WILL end on a cliffhanger. Now I’ve noted some discussion here and elsewhere on what, exactly, I mean when I refer to it as “a cliffhanger”. Am I, as some suspect, referring to it in the sense that SG-1′s finale, Unending, was a cliffhanger? In a word: no. Unending was NOT a cliffhanger by any stretch of the imagination. We knew SG-1 was done and Robert told a story that (like, say, Cheers) suggested the adventures of the characters we’d grown to know and love would continue, whether we were witness to them or not. Other fans have pointed to the Atlantis finale, Enemy at the Gate, and wondered whether the Universe finale, Gauntlet, is a cliffhanger in similar fashion. In the same word: no. Enemy at the Gate was NOT a cliffhanger. While the episode certainly left some questions unanswered (what of Todd, Teyla, and Ronon who had taken the voyage to Earth?), it offered closure of sorts. Atlantis finally returned the the Milky Way and our crew finally returned home. At the time we wrote Enemy at the Gate, we were hopeful that we’d be getting that sixth season pick up (Hell, we had a batch of stories ready to go) and, when it failed to materialize, we were disappointed but took solace in the fact that, at the very least, fans wouldn’t be left hanging. No, the Stargate: Universe series finale, Gauntlet, is not a cliffhanger in either respect. It is a true cliffhanger along the lines of a Camelot, Incursion II, and The Siege II. The kind that, once it ends, will leave you asking yourselves: “How the hell are they going to get out of this one! Can’t wait until the next episode!” Except there won’t be a next episode, much less a next season. Also, in response to a question several have posed: Unfortunately, the last few episodes build upon each other so simply switching the airing order wouldn’t have helped. You could consider Epilogue the series finale and move on to some other show (I hear great things about Breaking Bad) but that would rob you of two truly awesome episodes in Blockade and Gauntlet. Both deliver action, adventure, humor, and some terrific character moments. Gauntlet, in particular, is very touching and its conclusion will no doubt you leave you…among many other things…frustrated, incredulous, outraged, offended, annoyed, vexed, saddened, distressed, bitter, aghast, irritated, unsatisfied, pissed-off, melancholy, miserable, confused, furious, dejected, riled, shocked, heartsick, angry, surprised, exasperated, indignant, enraged, despondent, bewildered, dismayed, incensed, stunned, and grief-stricken.

Fair warning.

Well

shit

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never would have thought it when this show first started, but I'm really going to miss SG:U.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Fair warning.

Well

shit

Bah.
    Damnit, writers and creators of the show, now is not the time to realize that ending a season on a cliffhanger isn't a good thing to do.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think Farscape did it best. It always tied up everything in a season, and then only at the last 2 minutes or so would it throw in something to lead to the next season. Something that could be cut out if you needed to.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You clearly don't remember how FarScape ended that last season they were canceled.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Window of Opportunity, the Groundhog Day episode, is on right now, awesome

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know whether or not I'm going to waste the hour watching the last episode of SG:U. They're going to putter around for an hour, fail to resolve anything, and it's over.

MKR on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You clearly don't remember how FarScape ended that last season they were canceled.

I'm pretty sure that was because the producers and writers were told they were getting another season. Only for [strike]Sy-Fy[/strike] Sci-Fi to pull the rug out from under them at the last second, since they wanted to harvest Farscape's remains for decent replacement actors for the SG franchise.

So instead, we got a part of a season in movie format.

Now, this is more like, they knew they were getting canceled, and said the fuck with it and just went their own way regardless of them knowing the series was going to end. Granted, i'm under the impression that they hadn't finished filming the last few episodes yet when they learned about Universe's cancellation.

Sci-Fi isn't the best these days, when it comes to actually taking care of their shows. I mean, Universe is pretty much a pastiche of "200" parodies woven together in a straight, serious, format.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As I understand it, SG-U was under the impression they were getting one more half season. Then, after they finished filming and SyFy saw the upcoming block of episodes (the ones we are watching now), SyFy lost hope in the show and decided to can it.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So Sci-Fi lives in opposite world. Explains why a science fiction channel has so little science fiction.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that was because the producers and writers were told they were getting another season. Only for [strike]Sy-Fy[/strike] Sci-Fi to pull the rug out from under them at the last second, since they wanted to harvest Farscape's remains for decent replacement actors for the SG franchise.

What.

they canceled farscpe, so they could wait 2 years to put the actors into stargate.

Is this what you are saying.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

What.

they canceled farscpe, so they could wait 2 years to put the actors into stargate.

Is this what you are saying.

Is that any harder to believe then "Sci-Fi channel hates you personally and wants you to be miserable"?
    Because that's been the hypothesis I've been working under for the past several years.

see317 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure it had something to do with being able to focus on SG at least.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    So Sci-Fi lives in opposite world. Explains why a science fiction channel has so little science fiction.

Explain why MTV doesn't show music videos anymore.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »

Why would I do this in the Stargate thread? :?

MKR on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This site has an interesting take on the matter:

http://www.watchfarscape.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=25

It's speculative but a lot of the info/dates should be correct. Vivendi bought Sci-Fi, and then started cutting corners to save money for the parent company, initially by reducing the order from 22-episode season to just 13. Then Sci-Fi tried to negotiate for cheaper episodes with EMTV who owned the Jim Henson Company, but EMTV wouldn't back down (they were also having financial troubles). The Vivendi-apointed head of Sci-Fi at the time tried to play chicken with EMTV, suggesting they'll just cancel Farscape if they wouldn't agree to cheaper episodes, but EMTV called their bluff because they would get a large payout from Sci-Fi for exercising their contract's "out" clause.

Kronus on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Edit: Oh shit, you posted that article I just described. Frustrating mess, and had nothing to do with the show's ratings nor popularity. That article also mentions how the new studio head actually disliked Farscape, too, and even wanted it to be more like South Park. The hell? South Park?

Anyway, I'm really going to be sad to see Stargate Universe go. I quite liked it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »

Why would I do this in the Stargate thread? :?

It...was rhetorical?

I know argument by analogy isn't exactly infallible but it's a time-honored interwebz tradition.

Anyway, I imagine that like MTV, Siffy has found that they make more money if they retool the network, never mind that their name doesn't change and they leave their original purpose behind. (At least TNT changed to Spike.)

And this is completely relevant in a Stargate thread, because it's why Stargate isn't being made anymore.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The channel has always been sparse on science fiction. My comment was on how they cancelled SG:U because the show was improving in the last few episodes.

edit: Maybe not sparse, but it's always had a lot of non-science fiction stuff.

MKR on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mallozzi's got new blogpost up about the finale:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/may-9-2011-farewell-destiny/

Didn't really realize until now that this is pretty much the end of the franchise for the foreseeable future.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yup. Dead as a dodo. Deader than tank-tops*. :(
    +5 kudos for people who get that reference...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I really cant see the franchise going forward as is anyway.

Earth has access to pretty much all the technology ever, and atlantis. Its only a matter of time before they learn how to make ZPMs and become kings of all creation.

I admit, I was not happy with Universe at first. Felt way to soap opera, but it gained ground, and became real good. It was then I realized that this is where the series had to go, so they could be free of the burden of deus ex technoligica, to give real feeling to all their issues like the Co2 scrubbers and the FTL drive and avoid the whole " Pft Carter could make a energy to matter converter and make the ship 100% functional in an hour " thing.

To bad we'll never see how they they manage to continue on.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep.

A semi-solution would the The Animated Series I guess. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Close Wars proved that you can have a good story told through animation, I just don't know any of financial savings, if any.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Earth has access to pretty much all the technology ever, and atlantis. Its only a matter of time before they learn how to make ZPMs and become kings of all creation.

I admit, I was not happy with Universe at first. Felt way to soap opera, but it gained ground, and became real good. It was then I realized that this is where the series had to go, so they could be free of the burden of deus ex technoligica, to give real feeling to all their issues like the Co2 scrubbers and the FTL drive and avoid the whole " Pft Carter could make a energy to matter converter and make the ship 100% functional in an hour " thing.

Did anyone say reboot?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tonights graphics of Destiny in FTL makes me think that its using Warp-style drive.

The expansion of space behind and a compression of space infront of the ship to accelerate a localized bubble of normal space-time at FTL speeds while avoiding the pesky issue of relativity.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That wasn't the "Oh shit!" cliffhanger I was expecting. It actually wasn't too bad for an ending.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It wasnt the worst ending by far.
    Still a little depressing not knowing if Eli, or the others, will make it, or if the drones will figure out how to hit destiny in FTL, or any of the thousands of other things

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »

Did anyone say reboot?

Great, now you just made Dean Devlin's ears perk up and race to MGM's studios as fast as possible.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    That wasn't the "Oh shit!" cliffhanger I was expecting. It actually wasn't too bad for an ending.

Yeah, I was actually pretty satisfied with that as a series ender.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lanz wrote: »

Great, now you just made Dean Devlin's ears perk up and race to MGM's studios as fast as possible.

Man, fuck that guy. I know he came up with the whole thing, but the series is so far removed from the movie (which was adequate at best) I want him no where near the franchise to muck it up.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the whole idea of Young volunteering to stay behind...

...They realize that they still have communication stones, right?

It wouldn't have to actually be Young solving the problem.

Come to think of it, that would have been a good time to have McKay and Carter visit the ship.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Actually, running the series with them having near God-like powers and crazy tech that can solve anything doesn't necessarily mean the show gets awful. Doctor Who is one example.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That was a fairly satisfying ending. Although, they passed between galaxies previously and it wasn't a big deal at all (Which doesn't make sense, as the ship must have pods for a reason and a good reason would be transporting them for the long periods with no gates).

Also, having exactly the right number of pods was a bit of a stretch.

Still, I am satisfied. Those last episodes were really good.

That was always the stated purpose of the series.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That was a good ending. Still going to miss having Stargate around.

MKR on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    :cry: I am a sad monkey

Xaviar on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the whole idea of Young volunteering to stay behind...

...They realize that they still have communication stones, right?

It wouldn't have to actually be Young solving the problem.

Come to think of it, that would have been a good time to have McKay and Carter visit the ship.

Having one of them show up in a finale, that ended up being the series finale, would have sucked though. It would have undermined all the hard work that Eli and Rush had done. At the beginning I too was going "Just have McKay and Carter stone in and get this thing all fixed up" but I'm glad that didn't occur. It gave Eli and Rush both a chance to figure things out on their own and get things accomplished. I loved the other Stargate shows, but forcing the crew that was on board to find solutions was a better route to take. Otherwise it would have been the "who are we gating in this week to fix our problem?" show, and that would have been awful.

So true that this show got good as it was cancelled. I think the finale works though. Leaves it up to the viewer to decide what they think happened next. I'm going with eventual happy ending.

Bolthorn on