Options

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah he just seems angry. Not creepy or anything.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If Wonder Woman had cut up my face and invaded some countries I'd want to beat her up as well.

I bet she was all "inferior man!" when she did it too, just to rub salt into the wound

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh so here's Flashpoint J'onn. I was wondering when he'd show up.

flsp_out_cv3.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I won't get Flashpoint 1 until Monday, most likely, but I already had it spoiled by... DC's solicits :(

I have honestly never been more excited for a big event, and I really want to grab a lot of the minis here if I can.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman sound like must-haves, Batman sounds awesome, Project S has a plot by Snyder, Robinson's Outsider will probably be more important than expected (and he's best when he's in his own sandbox of forgotten characters), and it will be a lot of fun to see how the Rogues turn out. And Gates on Bart also sounds fantastic.

And then there's a Slade series by fucking Palmiotti! Pirate Deathstroke by the perfect writer for it. Lemire's Monsters and Milligan's Magic Users. DnA on Lois Lane. And then all the others with inexperienced writers covering really neat sounding beats.

I hope the collections for this are really, really well organized and efficient.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DC's collections? Well organised and efficient? Does not compute.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »
    DC's collections? Well organised and efficient? Does not compute.

This will somehow end with 15 miniseries spread over 17 trade paper backs.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It seems like the minis are divided, like the first two parts are pre-battle and then the last issue for each one takes place during a climactic fight.

Also, Green Arrow being the name of the bomb that Hal Jordan has to use on the Amazons? That is... awesome.

Tairu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, #5 being the only comic from DC that week, they must be really naive in Kubert's punctuality or Kubert is drawing #5 right now. Especially if #4 is the first week in August.

It's actually a pretty neat move, and it's a 5th week so it's not really messing stuff up, I just have doubts in trusting it to stay on schedule.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kuberts been drawing Flashpoint for a year now. I think he'll do fine.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You'd think that, but previous examples in comics make me think otherwise:

Joe Madueria was drawing Ultimates 3 for 2 years, still delayed.
    Hitch had about 6-8 months on Ultimates 2, delayed.
    Frank Cho had about 6 months for Mighty Avengers, delayed.
    Adam Kubert had 8 months of lead time, plus two more at the last minute with a Busiek/Nicieza/Woods three parter, Action Comics still delayed.
    Dave Finch on Ultimatum
    Dave Finch on Dark Knight
    Art Adams on Ultimate X

And just for Andy Kubert, since his Thor run the following things he's drawn have been delayed:
    Origins
    Ultimate X-Men (the 4 part arc with BKV)
    His first Batman arc was done on time but DC had to throw a Ostrander/Mandrake fill-in arc on top of other artists to give him time to do another 4 issues before he was replaced by Tony Daniel
    Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Also given the fact he can't commit to either drawing a comic or teaching at his father's art school, I would say cause for delays are warranted. We are also in a world where event comics are repeatedly delayed, Blackest Night and Secret Invasion are the closest ones to do it, but they even slipped up (I'm counting the month gap that was scheduled for BN too)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Johns claims Kubert is working on the final issue right now. I think it'll be fine.

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    So, #5 being the only comic from DC that week, they must be really naive in Kubert's punctuality or Kubert is drawing #5 right now. Especially if #4 is the first week in August.

It's actually a pretty neat move, and it's a 5th week so it's not really messing stuff up, I just have doubts in trusting it to stay on schedule.

That's the only issue solicited, but it's not the only comic coming out that week from DC, is it?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, it is. That's the whole marketing stunt.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just realized that the Captain Thunder scene made no sense, they all summoned Captain Thunder on the rooftop above Crime Alley, but they were all holograms.
    Unless the storm cloud was a hologram too?

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah there was a lot of stuff that shouldn't happen with holograms

Johns and/or Kubert forgot they were, I guess

I mean HoloCold and HoloPiper had guns pointed at each other, Captain Thunder had a storm cloud and smoke, etc.

Plus, the light coloring that they got when Cyborg first announces they are holograms just disappears right afterwards so they look exactly the same as Batman and Cyborg until they all disappear

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I mean HoloCold and HoloPiper had guns pointed at each other, Captain Thunder had a storm cloud and smoke, etc.

Cold said "lower the weapon. ain't gonna do much if we're not really here"

but yeah, Kubert forgot on the art. He gave them shadows and stuff

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Plus, the light coloring that they got when Cyborg first announces they are holograms just disappears right afterwards so they look exactly the same as Batman and Cyborg until they all disappear

Who made you the experts on how holograms coming out of Cyborg's gun work in the Flashpoint universe ?

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    I just realized that the Captain Thunder scene made no sense, they all summoned Captain Thunder on the rooftop above Crime Alley, but they were all holograms.
    Unless the storm cloud was a hologram too?

No less improbable than the heroes of the planet abandoning their plan to confront world war because a 50-something guy with little to no training / resources who's idea of grand tactics is throwing criminals off the same building every night turned down the job of leading them.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes because we know the depth of Batman's career and skillset from half of an issue. You've saved us all from idiocy.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You're welcome.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Captain Thunder's storm cloud could still show up on the hologram, because it's magic we don't have to explain it.

If Cyborg has satellites in orbit they can probably do that too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How are all the tie-in books going to be collected? They're all 3 issues right?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Three issues, but the last issues for each mini seem to be poop hits the fan issues. The Aquaman and WW issues might be the same thing, just told from each other's views.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How were the Blackest Night tie-ins collected?

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    How were the Blackest Night tie-ins collected?

The Blackest Night tie-ins were kind of weird, because some of them led into others.

In singles, they were published in two waves, I believe it was Batman, Superman, Titans and then Wonder Woman, Flash, JSA. The trades collected 3 in one, and 3 in another.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking about getting the main Flashpoint book in singles and only get the tie-ins that have rave reviews. Or maybe wait to read them in collected editions.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The only tie-in that is pretty much guaranteed to be fantastic is the Batman one because Azzarello writing an angry Batman who is willing to kill is very exciting

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah the Azzarello Batman book should be fantastic.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There a bunch of other promising ones

but man there is no way Knight of Vengeance won't be fantastic

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, Azzarello has managed to write mediocre to genuinely bad Batman stories four times now (twice with Risso), so there is a chance.

But the reveal of the new Batman has given me a lot of hope, it fits more into his wheelhouse

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it is this Batman that has me so excited. Normal Batman is too moral for Azzerello.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Could end up collected like recent Age of Apocalypse re-release (think it goes something like Alpha and issue 1 of a bunch, then 2-3 of a bunch, 2-4 of some and then 3-4 and omega or some variation of that for the epic trades). So Flashpoint could collect in some weird order over multiple trades following suit. Or it could do double packs of 6 issue trades with 2 miniseries together. I imagine theyll do Flashpoint by itself and the minis in bulk trades though.

However, 3 issue trades wont work since they need minimum page requiremetns to get listed/stocked/discounts at major retailers like Amazon and B&N (its why stuff like Ares miniseries had to get bundled with original mini or Loki was repackaged with couple other issues to fill in space) or why others have the random blank pages at end.

KVW on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KVW wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Could end up collected like recent Age of Apocalypse re-release (think it goes something like Alpha and issue 1 of a bunch, then 2-3 of a bunch, 2-4 of some and then 3-4 and omega or some variation of that for the epic trades). So Flashpoint could collect in some weird order over multiple trades following suit. Or it could do double packs of 6 issue trades with 2 miniseries together. I imagine theyll do Flashpoint by itself and the minis in bulk trades though.

However, 3 issue trades wont work since they need minimum page requiremetns to get listed/stocked/discounts at major retailers like Amazon and B&N (its why stuff like Ares miniseries had to get bundled with original mini or Loki was repackaged with couple other issues to fill in space) or why others have the random blank pages at end.

Well, I doubt they'll go the Age of Apocalypse route, since the minis are not each part of the same of the same concurrent narrative. Each seems to be it's own separate story, some of which seem to be set in the past, and the only things they have in common is the setting. Having them ordered by publishing date probably would not help reading.

The two miniseries idea is probably the most likley. Though I can see a few of them being padded out with the one shots (like Hal Jordan and Green Arrow Industries)

MastaP on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha oh my god the last page of Booster Gold #44
    Flashpoint Doomsday!

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I.....actually like what Jurgens is doing with this, he's almost going to make it be a "what if" on his whole Superman run from the 90's, with Booster Gold to be our reference point.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it wasn't a bad issue. At least we got confirmation that
    it's not one of the parallel universes or an alternate timeline.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'm catching up on my books, and I started with things pertinent to summer events so I could get around to those.

I read all of Johns's recent Flash ongoing today, and it was kind of a let down. Not much really happened, it was all just building to Flashpoint, and we didn't really get to see much interaction with the Flash family until the last couple issues. The plots were pretty standard fare, and didn't really impact or change the character too much. Manapul's art was aweome, though.

So, I was kind of disappointed, and I was sort of expecting Flashpoint to not be the epic, incredible event that I had built up in my mind.

But man, issue 1 totally fucking rocked it. As a single-issue, this is the best thing Johns has written in a long time, and compared just to his other big widescreen-type stuff, this is probably the greatest thing he has done since the Red Lantern special of GL or the last SCW issue. Great, great stuff.

I'm so charged up after reading it now, that I want to read even more of the minis than I was originally interested in. I want to know where all of the little teases about Citizen Cold and the Outsider are going. I want to see the histories of the characters in this world.

This event is looking to be just as awesome as I had hoped.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Map of the World of Flashpoint:
    flashpointmapv6.jpg
    What the fuck happened to Alaska

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brazil: Nazi Occupied

Fuck yeah I love Superhero Comics

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Damn

That map has me pretty excited.

I really wish I could afford all the tie-ins.

Futt Bucker on