Options

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OK, that gauntlet on the guy's shield there is supremely boss; is that the FW icon pack bit or something?

As for edges on black, I like a really, really light drybrush of something ridiculously pale like VMC White Grey; that way I can build up the colour in layers but still get decent contrast with the first one.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it's the big one from the FW resin icons. I think I filed the middle of the shield down a little but otherwise it was just stuck right on

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like Gunmetal Or whatever they call it now as a highlight on black.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yes, sometimes I'll just do a light drybrush of boltgun to highlite it.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I typically just work up from Chaos black -> Adeptus Battlegrey -> Astronomicon Grey, with some mixes depending where. Often, I'll base in Adeptus, wash with badab black, highlight with 1:1 Adeptus to Astronomicon, and then a smaller highlight with pure astronomicon. Its hard to see in these pictures, and I over-highlighted a bit, but I think the black parts came out well...

DeathCompany2.jpg

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was hoping to have some more Hormagaunts to show off. I even made progress! Four got a mud bath, one has had its red done. Then the next day, I developed sciatica. So for a while, sitting at the table painting is excrutiatingly painful. :(

-Loki- on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy crap, I just finished catching up on the last dozen pages of Art of War; everything is looking awesome. I'm always really pumped up to get painting after seeing everyone's stuff.

saluksic on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Baneblade:

5738311171_b121325332_b.jpg

For more, check the 40k thread!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So clean and precise! It looks amazing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    altmanns stuff reminds me of someone painting a historic model. Clean and crisp lines everywhere and no overdone highlighting. Makes the tanks look fantastic.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I like to paint my blacks with silver chipping along the edges.
    I tried a bunch of different methods but that struck the right balance for me between looking decent but not driving me mad to do.
    SgtNemo1.jpg
    Aronnax1.jpg
    Ironclad1.jpg

Iron Hands, eh? Thats super-cool!

Also, Altmann: nice work on the Baneblade - looks great.

Niklas on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Its funny. Right after I decide to sell my tau, I decide I'd love a tau force painted black. Ugh, I have issues.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Raslin wrote: »
    Its funny. Right after I decide to sell my tau, I decide I'd love a tau force painted black. Ugh, I have issues.

There, there fella. The Grey Knight army I played against last night was proxied Eldar because dude sold his Grey Knights last week but got the itch again this week.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, god sake bloody auto logout.

Anyways, what would make a decently convincing group to convert for bloodbowl? I was thinking of a final box from maelstrom with the discount. It's between black orks, stormvermin, or rat ogres. I can trade around for the rest of anything for a team I think.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well a skaven team can only have a single rat ogre on it, but it can have up to 16 lineman, which can be represented however you like, 2 throwers, 2 blitzers, and then 4 gutter runners.

Speaking of representing however you want, I'm getting a real kick out of using my tyranids in the game. I think once I've got a little experience under my belt, I'm going to do a halfing team, represented by Tau Gundrones standing in for the halfings, with a single krootox as the treeman. It's such a ridiculously good conceptual fit, I can't resist.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So far, I've heard great things about Bloodbowl, BFG, Necromunda, Mordhiem, and various Warhammer 40k expansions, all in the last week on these threads. Does GW just poop gold?

saluksic on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In the last thread someone posted an incredible link to a paint comparison website. My old computer died and I wasn't able to retrieve the bookmarks. Anyone have that link handy?

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This one?

Link

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    saluksic wrote: »
    So far, I've heard great things about Bloodbowl, BFG, Necromunda, Mordhiem, and various Warhammer 40k expansions, all in the last week on these threads. Does GW just poop gold?

They used to have game design weeks as part of their appraisal process or something like that, so the studio would take time off from WFB/40K to come up with a completely new system - it's where the Brewery Bash, Jousting and Bombas over the Sulpher River games came from, along with BFG I think.

They've definitely had a very talented pool of designers working for them, you should also add Epic 40K and Aeronautica to your list. Epic has a really elegant method of representing suppression and the morale of formations under fire (one I really hope at some point makes it into 40K) and Aeronautica is just plane fun, bluffing with the manoeuvre cards on top of a pretty simple system works brilliantly. One of the few games I think that is still really fun at tiny levels with only 2-3 units each side.

Both games really capture the spirit of what they're trying to represent really well, which I think is their main strength as a studio.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A lot of those games have quite a history.
    Blood Bowl has existed for years, since the late 80s I think. I remember seeing adverts for it in the earliest White Dwarf mags me and my brother would get. It's changed and been refined over the years.

Necromunda (and thus, Mordhiem and Gorkamorka) can trace it's roots back to a system GW put out around the same time (the internet tells me it was the very early 90s) called Confrontation. It was set in Necromunda and had groups like rich kid noble Brats and the Arbites.

BFG again has an ancient ancestor named Space Fleet. I don't know much about the gameplay of that particular game, but I remember seeing the eldar ships advertised in the back of old WDs

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spacefleet's mechanics were just completely off the wall though - it involved dice, but rather than having conventional tables, you threw them into the box lid, which had areas marked on it which then determined what happened.

Laid the groundwork for the setting, but the rules are pretty distinct (other than the being the inspiration for the way the Eldar moved).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It Burns wrote: »
    This one?

Link

That was it, thank you!

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think a lot of GW's success has started with the fluff - they start with what looks and sounds cool and go with rules from there. Hence you get some balance issues, but their games are *fun* and characterful and most everything in them looks badass.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think BFG's flaw was incorporating idiot things from user submissions and house rules into it. Well, by things, I mean one thing. Fucking Nova Cannons. And the warhams obsession that 'more is more' and stupid 3000 point games were getting a bit too common.

1000-1500 point games are great, and anything well above that is getting into a quagmire of tedium and torp spam I think.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Only thing they should have done is restrict the number of Nova cannons, torps aren't so bad since there can be a pretty heavy price when you've got to pick between your orders up close (Brace/Lock on/Reload).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    A while back there was an eBay auction with some extremely well-painted Tyranids someone painted just for the fun of painting. I know I saved the images, but I can't for the life of me find them now.

It was a similar scheme to my 'nids - bone-brownish skin (darker than bleached bone), pale green carapace. Anyone know which ones I'm talking about? I could use those pics for reference.

Echo on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    saluksic wrote: »

Speaking of pooping gold, we should start a PA Bloodbowl League. You can get BB: Legendary Edition off of Steam, and the fact that I just bought it means it's almost guaranteed that it's going to go on a $9.99 sale next weekend...

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would do that. I have the game and have only played against the cpu.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I also have the game, played a few online matches but not many. It's a fun game in small doses.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I currently have as many games under my belt in the digital version as I do in real life. And, completely unrelated, my ears have just started ringing. That ogre made one real hard tackle, I guess. Gave me a concussion right through the screen.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow, ultra-realistic!

saluksic on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can you play against the legendary edition with older versions?
    I have the Dark Elf edition already.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure.

Given that this is essentially the table top game converted to digi form, the fickleness of the dice can be intensely frustrating. I had a guy with Sure Hands fail to catch the kick off, and then fail to pick up the ball four turns in a row. Since your turn ends when a guy gets flattened or the ball fumbled, that meant every time I tried to pick up the ball it ended my turn, until a couple of runners managed to make it to the ball, grabbed it, and easily made it the six squares to my end zone.

Reminds me of the time an exploding ork trukk killed four of my terminators. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't stop Painting! HELPPPPPPP.
    Makeda1.jpg
    Makeda2.jpg
    Makeda3.jpg

agonizer1.jpg
    agonizer2.jpg
    agonizer3.jpg

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My girlfriend just started playing D&D and she's looking for a little psychic girl miniature to use. Anyone know where we can find one?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    reaper has really nice 1 off type character mini's.

I stole ashers scheme he just used above for my 1 off for D&D. which sucks because I was going to post update pictures.......

5724511257_db4c396525.jpg

No head or arms w/ axe

Wooooo shitty blurry mini's!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    McGibs wrote: »
    My girlfriend just started playing D&D and she's looking for a little psychic girl miniature to use. Anyone know where we can find one?
    "Little psychic girl" as in child?
    Hmmm
    Unfortunately there is a massive disparity in the male:female miniatures ratio and even greater one in the adult:child ratio...
    Actually you might want to look at the more sci-fi mini ranges as those tend to have more tiny children wandering around with a psychic apocalypse in their head.
    Though they also tend to be creepy as all fuck:
    wrd_mfx_nbn_min_111_000_01_large.jpg

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hasslefree miniatures has a big range of juveniles. I ordered a bunch to be an objective markers and the like.

Check out my post in the 40K thread on the 2nd or 3rd page. It has links to non-GW, but cool miniature companies.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ruby1xv.jpg

What model is this or where is it from?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »
    ruby1xv.jpg

What model is this or where is it from?
    Studio McVey's Ruby.

Mr_Rose on
This discussion has been closed.