As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computers keep falling off the wireless network.

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
It has been happening more frequently now that I had to move my main desktop to a wireless card and built a media pc that is also wireless.

The router is a dsl modem / wireless router combo from Verizon, a 327w Westell from 5 years ago that came with the service. The modem itself stays connected to the internet over the dsl line but the machines that wirelessly connect to it just lose connection. They can still see the network name but can't do anything on it. To fix it all I do it disconnect and immediately reconnect, things will then work for another day or three until I have to do it again.

Any ideas on how to fix this or is the modem getting old? Can things like that really even wear out? The modem is b/g, the wireless cards I am using are b/g/n. Wireless mode on the modem set to 11g only. Everything running Windows 7.

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are there other wifi networks in the area? I am not an expert, but interference is a thing that exists..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, they can wear out, and older devices may not be equipped for handling a lot of wireless traffic.

Not to mention that anything that old probably doesn't support WPA2.

You're best off investing in a nice new b/g/n router. You can find decent models for $50-100 today.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum