As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Many 360s have YOU gone through?

1383940414244»

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    im actually willing to beat the original 360 is the most unreliable console of all time, because, if you play a game for 5 hours straight, without installing it, it WILL BREAK. The original 360's cd drive will crack under any sort of heat strain, its not a matter of won't it/will it, its just a question of WHEN.

That's just flat out untrue.

Eh.... both of the 360s of mine that broke, broke after extended play sessions after 1-2 years of what I would call moderate use. Here is hoping the slim doesnt break in a year or two.

Well, there's a difference between correlation and causation. For instance, my first 360 croaked when I tried to turn it on after having it off for 48 hours, but that doesn't mean it happened that way to everyone. I honestly think that the 360s that died were, for the most part, fated to die.

Yeah, no doubt they break randomly but our brains are really not wired to accept that as an answer so you get all this superstition. Somewhere there is a person who won't change his socks because his first console broke while he was putting a pair on.

Yes a terrible attempt at a sports superstition analogy was the best I could do there. If I can think of an appropriate car analogy, I'll edit it in.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, completely depends on game, I was playing games on my launch day 360 for 7-8 hours a day fine, but Bioshock was the one that killed it. The funny thing was, it was the level when you explode the core and every-things blowing up and going to hell, it was also, the middle of summer, so yeah, it was pretty hot in my room, even if the 360 was on a table with nothing around it in the middle of a room.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In which case, if that were true, it depends on the game and the console, because I ran through Bioshock in one sitting (letting it sit paused for lunch and dinner) with no trouble.

As Lowly pointed out, most people don't like to accept that sort of randomness. Me, I have no trouble for with it, I just grumbled at my 3 broken PS2s and started looking for a PS3.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    In which case, if that were true, it depends on the game and the console, because I ran through Bioshock in one sitting (letting it sit paused for lunch and dinner) with no trouble.

As Lowly pointed out, most people don't like to accept that sort of randomness. Me, I have no trouble for with it, I just grumbled at my 3 broken PS2s and started looking for a PS3.

I would accept randomness if it was a random thing breaking. But its not.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    call me a dick, cause I am, but you left the game paused, which gave the machine time to cool down. Untill i see a youtube video of someone playing Bioshock for 5 hours straight on a launch 360,without an install, and without it breaking, I aint gonna believe it, I'm just a cynical bastard that way.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    proyebat wrote: »
    I don't see how you are having problem connecting an older power brick to a newer console, is there a bent piece of metal somewhere?

The plugs are literally shaped differently. Or at least they were between my launch 360 and my late 2008 360. And the Slims are radically different... instead of this big fat squarish plug, you have something that looks like two prongs of component cables welded together.

The point is that the prongs you see are designed in a way to make power supplies for newer consoles not fit the plug on older consoles. The original power supply had no prongs so it could fit any console. The Xenon/Zephyr revisions used the original 203W power supply, the Falcon/Opus revisions used a 175W power supply, and the Jaspers used a 150W power supply.

My question was based if you knew what the newer plug looked like and could see if your older power supply had a bent connector, and that could have been the issue. Now I don't know what's wrong.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, completely depends on game, I was playing games on my launch day 360 for 7-8 hours a day fine, but Bioshock was the one that killed it. The funny thing was, it was the level when you explode the core and every-things blowing up and going to hell, it was also, the middle of summer, so yeah, it was pretty hot in my room, even if the 360 was on a table with nothing around it in the middle of a room.

Yet my RROD 360 handled Bioshock, and that level, just fine.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    call me a dick, cause I am, but you left the game paused, which gave the machine time to cool down. Untill i see a youtube video of someone playing Bioshock for 5 hours straight on a launch 360,without an install, and without it breaking, I aint gonna believe it, I'm just a cynical bastard that way.

Well, I don't eat dinner and lunch less than 5 hours apart from each other because I'm not a senior citizen. In fact, given that it was a weekend of my junior year as an undergrad, it was probably more like 9 hours apart.

So you're wrong. I'm sorry, but you are. Is it possible your Xbox 360 worked that way? Absolutely. It's possible. It's possible that it caused similar results to other consoles. It's possible something else was the factor. But if you're saying all Xbox 360s of the early type worked this way everywhere beyond any uncertainty, you're just wrong.

And I'm one of those people who didn't like Bioshock. I have friends who played the whole thing in one sitting without breaks, multiple times, because they loved it. There are people on this forum who have done that more than once. I only did because I had to borrow a copy, having refused to purchase it.

You're not a dick, BD, you're just wrong in regards to a statement of universal truth.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, just red ringed again. And my box isn't under warranty anymore.

Someone tell me the best option for getting a new one with a decent hard drive.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So, just red ringed again. And my box isn't under warranty anymore.

Someone tell me the best option for getting a new one with a decent hard drive.

New? Your only option is the slim 250GB. $299 without Kinect, $399 with. The only other model nowadays is a 4GB.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have actually been considering getting a 360 as well. Is the 4GB even worth consideration at all, or should my baseline be the 250GB?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I have actually been considering getting a 360 as well. Is the 4GB even worth consideration at all, or should my baseline be the 250GB?

Eh, you can get by with a 4GB... but only if you never, ever plan on downloading DLC or games or such. And there's some damn fine stuff in both categories, no matter what your tastes.

So you may as well spend the extra hundred bucks.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yup, next time my 360 dies Im going for the 250GB. Tired of deleting stuff all the time.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Eh, you can get by with a 4GB... but only if you never, ever plan on downloading DLC or games or such. And there's some damn fine stuff in both categories, no matter what your tastes.

So you may as well spend the extra hundred bucks.

I'd agree. That being said, with the 3GB or so you'll have to work with, you can fit in a few XBLA arcade games. Or maybe DLC for one game. Both? Nope. And forget about installing games, if you wanted to do that.

Granted, you could get around this if you had a USB drive sitting around your home that you're not using (up to 16 GB, right?). I believe you can run XBLA games on these (though not full game installations).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am on my first 360 that I bought used that had never red-ringed. Knocking on wood as we speak (this was 2 years ago).

as long as you install games you'll be fine, 360's break because of DVD drive stress, 90% of the time, its the whole reason Microsoft introduced the idea of installing games in the first place.

I only have a 20gig harddrive and I've never installed a game.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am on my first 360 that I bought used that had never red-ringed. Knocking on wood as we speak (this was 2 years ago).

as long as you install games you'll be fine, 360's break because of DVD drive stress, 90% of the time, its the whole reason Microsoft introduced the idea of installing games in the first place.

I only have a 20gig harddrive and I've never installed a game.

I did the same thing for more than two years, before NXE hit and you could actual start installing games.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My 360 red ringed on me in December. It was just a couple of months out of warranty and no one at MS would help me. Reading from the same script, they all tried to get 100 bucks out of me to fix it. I tried a couple of tricks to get it working, but nothing panned out. I was ready to give in and chuck it when I found a tutorial on permanently fixing it yourself.

I ordered a kit off of Ebay that contained 8 fitted screws, 8 vinyl washers, 8 metal washers and a link to a really swell pdf guide. It came in over the weekend and I used part of today to fix it. The kit cost me less than 5 bucks and only a couple hours of my time. It worked! I now have a "permanently" fixed 360 for almost nothing. It tuns out those fucking x-clamps were the whole reason for most of the 360 failures. They are just not tight enough to properly cool the system. If Microsoft had gone with screws instead of shitty clamps, they could probably have saved 10s of millions of dollars.

It blows me away that it took them 3 fucking years to fix the issue.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have been through one 360 and PS3 each. I was able to get the 360 replaced because it was when they were covering all of the 360's for red ring failures. The PS3 was a refurbished 20GB so I waited for the PS3 slim to be released.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »
    My 360 red ringed on me in December. It was just a couple of months out of warranty and no one at MS would help me. Reading from the same script, they all tried to get 100 bucks out of me to fix it. I tried a couple of tricks to get it working, but nothing panned out. I was ready to give in and chuck it when I found a tutorial on permanently fixing it yourself.

I ordered a kit off of Ebay that contained 8 fitted screws, 8 vinyl washers, 8 metal washers and a link to a really swell pdf guide. It came in over the weekend and I used part of today to fix it. The kit cost me less than 5 bucks and only a couple hours of my time. It worked! I now have a "permanently" fixed 360 for almost nothing. It tuns out those fucking x-clamps were the whole reason for most of the 360 failures. They are just not tight enough to properly cool the system. If Microsoft had gone with screws instead of shitty clamps, they could probably have saved 10s of millions of dollars.

That really really really really really pisses me off.

I wouldn't be surprised if my 4th xbox dies soon, it'll give me a excuse to get a slim but this stupid box has given me more trouble then any PC i've had.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really hope the next generation of consoles is more reliable than the current one, this one is fucking ridiculous so far. I'm glad I do most of my gaming on PC. I sent a 360 for repair under warranty but they wouldn't fix it as they claimed it was tampered with, thus voiding the warranty. I bought it brand new and never opened the thing.

Has anybody else ever been screwed over in this way?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mine's on the way out again. Took way too long to even get a disc to read.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I wouldn't be counting my chickens if I were you.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

I wouldn't be counting my chickens if I were you.

Hm? I did a nice burnin session when I got home tonight. Played some games and some HD video. Seeing has how the fucker wouldn't even post before today, I think it is safe to count a few of them. They do have heatbeats.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    gameworkergameworker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Welp, just had my second x-box die on me. I'm not even bothering with the hell that is MS support so I'm gonna just buy another one. I'm looking at the 120$ refurb that Gamestop carries. Already have a hard drive so no worries there. Anyone had experiences with GS refurbs? I think they offer some kind of warranty but don't know the cost or what it covers.

gameworker on
  • Options
    gameworkergameworker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anybody? I'm headed to Gamestop this evening.

gameworker on
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    its been 2 months since my xbox gave me the E74 message - and im not paying microsoft 125$ to fix it. Had a friends friend attempt to fix it - worked for 3 days and E74 msg came back. Anyone know a good site or video to try and fix it for oneself?

I cant find any.

Berserkis on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Berserkis wrote: »
    its been 2 months since my xbox gave me the E74 message - and im not paying microsoft 125$ to fix it. Had a friends friend attempt to fix it - worked for 3 days and E74 msg came back. Anyone know a good site or video to try and fix it for oneself?

I cant find any.

I could be wrong but my understanding is E74 is another (the new?) way of reporting the same error.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's possible to 'fix' a RROD 360 without any new bits and bobs, though how long it will remain fixed is anyone's guess. Open it up, remove the fan, turn it on and let it RROD. Leave it on, grab a sock (or a glove, or something thick) and push down fairly hard on the heat sync. Do this for about 5 minutes. Now turn the 360 off. Leave it for fifteen minutes and turn it back on, all could well be fine.

It doesn't fix the problem (i.e the board flexing and breaking the solder) but it does reflow the solder to make it function again.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I got the 4gb when it came with a $60 amazon discount, figuring that I'd see how it would go with USB drives. I mean, 4GB internal + a 16 gb thumb drive is the same as the original 20GB I had, right?

Well, after searching for cheap 16gb drives and using a mix/match combo of 4gb drives, I decided that it wasn't worth it an shelled out for the Hard Drive, even before I would have come close to running out of USB/internal memory. USB seems like a good idea, but I ended up getting storage space phobia.

Do with that what you want, but I'm much happier with a hard drive.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Berserkis wrote: »

I cant find any.

I could be wrong but my understanding is E74 is another (the new?) way of reporting the same error.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

E74: I/O Hardware Error - HSIO related, could be crc error, or many things: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. Microsoft covers this error under their 3-year warranty, this is availble to anyone who hasn't modified their console. contact MS to get a free replacement console before attempting to fix this yourself. Failing that this error In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement (see error 0102)

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Argh! Went to turn mine on this morning just to download some stuff... aaaand RROD, completely out of nowhere, almost exactly two years after I last sent it in for repair. :(

Don't think I'm going to bother getting it repaired again, I might as well get a new 250GB slim for only £120 more, since this one is so old (and out of warranty) it doesn't have HDMI.

Bah! I'm going to miss out on the ME:2 DLC on tuesday. Great timing. :(

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Argh! Went to turn mine on this morning just to download some stuff... aaaand RROD, completely out of nowhere, almost exactly two years after I last sent it in for repair. :(

This happened to me nearly a year ago (literally 2 days out of warranty). I bought a new arcade unit and slapped in the old hard drive. It was basically the same price as having the thing repaired out of warranty.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You might as well do that. Odds are you would get the current revision of the hardware. That would be better than a patch job.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    Ah, that's a useful link. I didn't even know you could get it to display extended error codes. Seems mine is this:
    E08: Unconfirmed: General I/O Malfunction, could be caused by an error with any of the I/O devies such as A/V port, USB, Hard drive, DVD drive, etc. over torquing of the AV or heatsync bolts can cause this error.

Man, I am peeved though, I was saving for a 3DS, now all that money has to go on getting a new unit. :x
    Ah well, maybe in June...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry for Necro bump. But I've been hit.

Last Saturday my 360 started showing no picture but played sounds. I connect the system to my HDTV with a VGA cable since it's a launch system and has no HDMI inputs. It has worked fine until saturday. I tried an old monitor I had and it still wouldn't work, so I thought it's the cable getting old and ordered a new one online. I get the cable today and it still wouldn't show a picture. Yay.

I call Microsoft and the guy was helpful but we couldn't get it working, and the system is out of warranty and renewing the warranty would cost $109. Which is fine but I wonder unless they decide to send me a new system when I send the old off to repair, if I'm better off just buying a new S model system..

I read online that forcing a RRoD can fix the issue, but I'm not willing to do that before I decide to send it to repair.

Either way I hope I can return the VGA cable I ordered.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was getting an E71 error whenever I booted up my 360 cold, but it would always boot fine after a restart. One of the more recent dashboard updates finally fixed the issue. (MS Support says it's a firmware issue) but the update from last week reintroduced the fucking problem.

Anyone know how to force a firmware update? I wanna see if reinstalling it helps.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Either way I hope I can return the VGA cable I ordered.

It's little consolidation, but you did the right thing (and depending on where you bought the cable, I'd be REALLY surprised if you couldn't return it). VGA cables can be found for about $4 on Amazon.com, including shipping, so presumably you got it fairly cheap.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I broke down and just bought a new Xbox. The $300model with 250GB harddrive. I figure since I would've needed to renew the old box's warranty plus eventually needing a new harddrive since the launch's 20gig was getting cramped, new one would work best. I just need to be extra frugal for a few months.

And when I contacted customer service about the VGA cable, they said they can't refund products that have been opened. Damn.

So, in the spirit of being On Topic. This is my second 360. Hopefully my last.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now you have two, you could try and breed them?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    One is old and blind. Not a good sign for potential offspring.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg