As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e DnD] (OOC) Temple of Elemental Evil

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't forget that you can ready your actions also. If you want to ready a standard action to make an attack against the first enemy to enter your range, you can do that. Like Faergus readied his Dragonbreath.

That way, you can just sit and wait for the spiders to come to you, then crush them when they do.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mata Taki, Tiefling Wizard of Ioun

Background/Storytime:
    Mata Taki. Mata-Taki. Matataki. She ran the words through her head several times, trying to make sense of them. Her parents had never real explained her name, only hinting that it had something to do with her arcane powers. Shrugging Mata walked over to the bartender and smiled. "How much for a bed in your place?" she coyly asks. The barkeep blushes and offers 10g a night. Pouting Mata flicks her black hair over her shoulder, "Aww, and I only have five...suppose I'll have to sleep somewhere else tonight." She begins to walk away, weaving a bit of magic into her waggle, making it all the more enticing. The barkeeps agreement to five gold a night pleases her. Perhaps she could get a good deal at the market tommorrow?

To most people Mata seems like a well read follower of Ioun with a knack for smooth talk. She likes it that way. Afterall, it wouldn't do to have everyone know what she is really planning. She wants knowledge...all of it. Her upbringing in a massive library run by her parents drilled this into her mind. If she has to dazzle a few eyes and show a little leg now and then to get it she doesn't mind. Half the fun of learning new things is what you go through to learn them.

Appearance:
    Mata is lithe for a tiefling, only have any heft on her personage in the most advantageous of areas. Her skin is very light for a tiefling and her horns mostly hidden amongst her long black hair. In fact if she were to hide her tale and you had consumed a choice beverage or two you might think her human.

Picture:
    Matataki.jpg
    This young lady with a big longer hair.

Anialos on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just as an FYI, with a Con like that, I probably won't be healing you until you get knocked unconscious. :)

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, with a Con like that, I probably won't be healing you until you get knocked unconscious. :)

That's nothing--my first 4e character was a Warlord with 20 INT and a 9 CON. That's what can happen when you roll the dice for stats. (Which is still my favorite way to come up with stats. It provides for so many unexpected roleplay possibilities.)

3seed on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't apply at the beginning, but I thought up this concept and I'd like to try it out.

Flight, Warforged Druid
    Character Portrait
    Flight.jpg
    Flight in his humanoid form.

FlightBug.jpg
    Flight in his swarm form.
    Character Appearance
    Flight is, as far as he is aware, unique among the warforged. He is not one magical being given life, but a swarm of metal beetles with a hive intelligence that can link together to form a humanoid shape.
    Background
    Flight brought itself together a few years ago, a horde of small metal beetles slowly gathering from the dark places of the world. As each one found another, their intellect would fuse and grow. Soon there was enough to reason that finding more of itself would be prudent to survival in the world around it, and so began a quest that Flight is still on.

Its travels have brought it to the village of Hommlet, where a few miles outside the village, deep in the wilderness, Flight found a small colony of like-minded bugs that had formed into a giant frog modeled after the smaller, natural ones in the nearby pond. It welcomed them into its colony, and was surprised when it retained its ability to exist outside of itself.

While investigating the surrounding area, Flight found the village and heard rumors of an ancient dark temple. Something in the words of the townfolk drew it there, down into one of the dark places of the world...
    Crunch
    Flight is a Swarm Druid, but instead of a humanoid who can turn into a swarm, he is a swarm that can come together to form a humanoid. The damage reduction should help keep him up with his low defenses. He's a little bit of everything for a druid - some zone denial, close bursts, and a single target slide - very little friendly fire. I'm wanting to put some summoning in there, but I'll slowly retrain that in as I get more dailies to summon more often.

I am in some other PbPs here, so if that's a consideration I understand. I am available to post at least once a day most weekdays and weekends.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    3seed wrote: »

That's nothing--my first 4e character was a Warlord with 20 INT and a 9 CON. That's what can happen when you roll the dice for stats. (Which is still my favorite way to come up with stats. It provides for so many unexpected roleplay possibilities.)

That sounds awesome, a tac-lord with an int like that you could totally get a ton of flavor and good mechanics to boot. Like a frail looking dude standing in the corner, weakly coughing out incredible battle strategies.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Post is up, Valesti didn't list a readied action, so she's up. Then one more spider that wasn't seen inside the tower.

FYI - Internet is down at my house. I need to get a new modem, and currently I'm connecting via the 3G hotspot from my cellphone. So posting should continue on schedule, but could be spotty if I can't get the internet working. Getting a new modem today to try.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just as an FYI, anyone that hits that deathjump spider gets 3 temporary hit points. In addition, Faergus got 4 temporary hit points when he killed one of the little spiderlings.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just as an FYI, anyone that hits that deathjump spider gets 3 temporary hit points. In addition, Faergus got 4 temporary hit points when he killed one of the little spiderlings.

Missed the 4 TPH on Faergus, I'll update that now.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll be out of town Friday through Sunday. So just take all the proper actions for Valesti, please. I might be able to check in, but likely not long enough to post anything.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Paela is still around, and could easily fill a controller role just going on AoE damage. I really like the character, so please re-consider her :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Side note for Faergus: You'll take 10 poison damage at the start of your turn, which will make you bloodied, so +1 to hit.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alphonse, make sure you get your three temporary hit points for hitting the deathjump spider.

Valorous bard = awesome proactive healing.

Unless I am mistaken, Faergus should be at 14/29 HP at the moment, as a consequence of the poison damage he took at the start of his turn.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yup, missed Faergus's damage, and Alfonse's TPH. I'll get those edited, then I'll move for Valesti and get the next round going.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    FYI, since Faergus is +2 to hit this round, he went after the Spiderling (AC 18) instead of the Ambush Spider (AC 16).

3seed on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just a quick bump to everyone out there saying that recruitment ends at the end of today (GMT -7), so if you're still lurking about get that app in :)

I'll put together all the apps that are out there, and then the current PCs can each have a vote on who they think would mesh best with the party.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just need to know if the spiderling is dead...

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

SPLAT! It's dead. Ambush spider is all that's left, with 3hp.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »

SPLAT! It's dead. Ambush spider is all that's left, with 3hp.

Yes, someone please kill it. Kill it dead.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I tried, I failed, hopefully I can be bait long enough to keep it off you. Valesti, or Quinn Flank that spider, im on the other side of it.

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alfonse - You don't need to move. If you are going to move, I would suggest attacking first, otherwise the spider gets an OA. Then I would also recommend taking the path from J8 -> K9 -> L8 to avoid any OAs from moving (I'll assume you're taking the OA-less route in most cases, just want to point out that you'd need to move around the spider to not get attacked)

I'll let Quinn give it a shot before I go for Valesti, unless Reynolds gets back in time to take her turn.

If Quinn and Valesti miss, then there's still Elmo. If he misses...Faergus is going to be spider-food! :twisted:

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Edited post, Attack, then move, around so no OA against me. I thought about that, but didn't type it out. Guess that's why I wasn't great at Proofs in Math, never wrote the entire process. :oops:

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, ambush spider is dead and Faergus is healed. My attack rolls have generally been very good in this campaign, let's hope that persists.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    If Quinn and Valesti miss, then there's still Elmo. If he misses...Faergus is going to be spider-food! :twisted:

With 7 points of poison vulnerability, the tiniest scratch from any of the spiders would've knocked Faergus out. Fortunately the initiative order was stacked in his favor. :-)

3seed on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Luckily the Ambush spider couldn't actually do poison damage to you unless it ran away and charged again, or had cover/concealment and was hidden...it's MBA is just untyped damage...

That being said, it could have dropped you from just regular damage if it hit. And in fact I had rolled it's attack/damage preemptively (or perhaps in excited anticipation :twisted:) and it would have hit for 13(max, but not a crit) damage.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, post up. Applied Quinn's Majestic Word on Faergus, so the statblock should be up to date.

Couldn't find any rules commenting on whether ongoing damage ends with combat, so I gave Valesti one more round of the poison damage. She made her save anyway, so only took the 5 damage. If anyone has an idea of how that works, throw it out and I can adjust her back up if effects end when combat ends.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It lasts until a save is made, though with sufficient people standing around the person, they can get multiple saves per round out of turn, i.e. Faergus, Quinn, Alphonse and Elmo all make a heal check on Valesti to grant her a save, which is often enough to get a person out of trouble in this way. I don't remember what the DC for the heal check is though, off the top of my head.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alright, recruitment is closed. Thanks to those that threw up an app. Controller is a hard one to fill. HEre are the apps that came in:

Mata Taki, Tiefling Wizard of Ioun (played by Anialos)

Flight, Warforged Druid (played by Lord Palington)

Paela, Halfling Sorceress (played by El Skid)

PC's, take a look at the apps over the next day or two and then shoot me a PM with your vote. I'll tabulate the results and we'll introduce the selected member.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    El Skid, it looks like Orokos is having a hard time with Paela's character sheet. Would you please post the character summary here so that we can see her powers? Thanks.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shot a PM to Infidel to let him know. He made some changes based on some updates Wizards did to their Character Builder and the files, and it's having some weird side effects.

Until then, throw us the summary block like 3seed mentioned, El Skid?

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Paela's sheet is back. Blazing Starfall isn't showing as an At-Will, but Infidel says it's because the .dnd4e sheet is corrupted.

El Skid, if you see this, you may want to try updating your character with the sheet again after resaving in the Character Builder?

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Have one vote in. Everyone else try and get your selection to me by the end of tomorrow. Reynolds, if you need an extra day, seeing as you were away, let me know.

Also, someone decide which one of these beasties is next on the chopping block, and what your tactics are. If it helps the decision-making process at all, you guys poke around a little and it sounds as if the drake is still sleeping behind the door. The snake and the frog also have not seemed to move from their previous positions.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If the goal is to clear out the ruins without slaughtering every creature in it, then it makes sense to ensure that the way out is open. I guess that means taking care of the giant toad first.

I have to say that the image of us knocking all the beasties unconscious and then dumping them out into the swamp is hilarious. We'll have to make sure that they're all well away from each other so that the first one awake suddenly doesn't find itself with food for a week dozing nearby.

Perhaps if we toss rocks into the moat it would bring the toad out into the open?

If someone would rather we tackle something else first, that's okay too. This is just my 2 cents to keep things rolling.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Back now. I guess we might as well check the one door we didn't open, but I really don't want to fight any more monsters up here if we don't have to. Should probably head down the hidden, shorter staircase next. I have a feeling we shouldn't leave the prisoners alone again either.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey everyone, forgot that Faergus was looking around specifically to try and figure out what happened to Otinan. Threw up a post in the IC with the results.

So the newfound knowledge that Otinan went down the secret staircase might alter everyone's thinking (or it might not...he was always kind of off...)

Sorry for the delay in getting you that.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Back now. I guess we might as well check the one door we didn't open, but I really don't want to fight any more monsters up here if we don't have to. Should probably head down the hidden, shorter staircase next. I have a feeling we shouldn't leave the prisoners alone again either.

Actually I wanted to fight the rage drake so I could intimidate it into being my pet/mount/horrible monster friend. I doubt it would work.

We can't take the prisoners with us downstairs, so something will have to be done about them. I don't particularly want to stand guard on them for the rest of the adventure. I recommend letting them go with their weapons, since it seems they're "bandits" who haven't done anything wrong other than defend themselves when we charged in and attacked them as they were living in a crappy ruin.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3seed wrote: »
    El Skid, it looks like Orokos is having a hard time with Paela's character sheet. Would you please post the character summary here so that we can see her powers? Thanks.

Sure thing!

At wills: Blazing Starfall (+5 vs reflex, 1d4+8 damage in an area 1 burst within 10 squares) and Chaos Bolt (+5 vs will, 1d10+8 damage, half the time get secondary attacks when it hits, which trigger secondary attacks if they hit half the time...)
    Encounter: Bedevilling Burst (+5 vs will, 1d10+8 damage vs enemies in a close burst)
    Daily: Chromatic Orb (+5 vs reflex, 3d10+8 damage with random bonus effect)

Dex/Cha stat focus

So basically a consistant-damage AoE build- she attacks vs reflex or will, so almost always hits, and does small amounts of variable damage with a large static kicker, so very steady. She also has wild magic, which means she gets some random bonuses/resistances at the beginning of every fight.

Overall, really excited to get a chance to try her out- let me know if you have any more questions!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have no problem with letting them go. I would suggest you make them swear to report to Hommlet and volunteer for the militia. Praise their martial skills and remind them that the city with food and shelter is a lot better than a ruin full of monsters, and that we've spoken with the captain of the guard and he'll take them seriously. Hand over some food and such to get them through the night.

Just, you know, need someone with good conversational skills to do that.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't know--I suppose Quinn can speak eloquently about the lure of a just life and making amends for wrongs done. They just don't seem that repentant though.

There's also the other idea mentioned earlier, which is to lock them in one of the rooms. Maybe one with a sleeping monster nearby? That way if they break down the door, they have to deal with the beastie.

As for what to do next, Faergus believes that the party should head down the secret staircase now that there's evidence that Otinan went that way. The rage drake can wait till after the group solves that mystery and spoiled the kidnapping plot.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, some bits of housekeeping:

1) After a popular vote, Flight the Warforged Druid will be our newest party member.

Lord Palington, I'll shoot you a PM to get the process started, and we'll get you inserted into the party asap.

2) Looks like the consensus is to either lock the prisoners up or let them go, depending on how they respond to Quinn, and then go down the secret staircase looking for Otinan. Based on those assumptions, I'll get the post together and get it up sometime today.

Illianthar on