As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 - Out now on Steam, XBL and PSN

Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
2hd9laq.jpg

(Op blatantly cribbed from Funkmaster General over on SA)

Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 is the sequel to Stainless Games's popular downloadable title Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers, originally released June 17, 2009. Both games present a streamlined digital version of the Magic: the Gathering trading card game using preconstructed decks. This sequel is set to resolve several of the first game's issues as well as introduce new decks and game modes. The original Duels of the Planeswalkers was a sleeper hit on XBLA, selling well over 500,000 copies, and was popular on PSN and Steam as well.

Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 is out on Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, and Steam for $10.00 (or 800 Microsoft Points on XBL).

2rwp4sh.jpg

So what the hell is Magic the Gathering?
Magic: the Gathering is a trading card game published by Wizards of the Coast. Dating back to 1993, it was the first example of a modern trading card game and remains the most popular and best-selling today. Read more here.

So you'll collect cards and build decks to use against other players?
Not exactly. Like it's predecessor, Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 doesn't feature full-on deck building or card collecting. Instead, as you play through the single player campaign, you'll unlock new preconstructed decks to play with, and by winning games using the decks, you unlock new cards to add to them (the new cards are specific to the deck you used). The developers have given two reasons for the lack of this feature: 1) Wizards of the Coast doesn't want DotP to directly compete with Magic the Gathering Online card sales, and 2) The preconstructed deck setup makes the game more accessible to newer and more casual players.

So I can't edit my deck at all?
As you play and win with a deck, you'll unlock new cards which you can choose to add (or not) to the deck, typically making it more powerful and interesting to play as and against. However, unlike the first DotP, in DotP 2012, you will be able to remove cards from your core deck after unlocking some new ones, rather than only being able to remove unlocked cards. This allows for much more deck customization and optimization, but still prevents any deck build from becoming overpowered and overplayed.

I can't build my own deck? That's bullshit! Will they add the option in DLC?
No. The lack of deck construction was a very deliberate choice and it's not one that's going to be implemented in a patch or in DLC. Anyone who spent a good deal of time with Duels of the Planeswalkers will probably tell you, however, that it isn't such a big deal in the long run. Playing with preconstructed decks allows the developers to ensure that everything is balanced and no deck or deck theme becomes totally overpowered. Even the first game's elf and vampire decks, both regarded as ridiculously strong when they were released, eventually became trivial to counter once you knew the cards in the decks well enough. It also lightens the game's atmosphere and makes it a much more fun game to play in a social setting. You'll rarely want to chop your friend's testicles off and shove them violently down their throat, something I can't say is true from my experiences with paper Magic.

Okay, fine. So what kinds of decks CAN I use?
Duels of the Planeswalkers decks are all themed and (loosely) based on the personalities of the planeswalker they represent. The decks confirmed for DotP 2012 so far are:
* Kiora Atau's unnamed blue/green deck
* Warriors of the Woods (green/black)
* Strength of Stone (red)
* Unquenchable Fire (red)

Although other decks are not currently confirmed, teaser trailers have shown images of every planeswalker featured in the first game (including DLC), suggesting that there will at least be analogues to every original deck available.

I already have the first Duels of the Planeswalkers. What new features does this version offer?
* New decks and planeswalkers
* Improved UI
* Limited core deck editing
* Online Two-Headed Giant
* The new Archenemy co-op gametype

What the hell is Two-Headed Giant?
Two-headed giant is a 2v2 team-based gametype in which members of the same team share a turn and life total, but have separate battlefields, hands, and lands. It was available in the original Duels of the Planeswalkers, but teams could only consist of two local players. In DotP 2012, it will be playable over the internet with your friend on your team.

What the hell is Archenemy?
Archenemy is a 3v1 co-op gametype in which one team of three players share a turn and battle against a single "Archenemy." Unlike in two-headed giant, teammates do not share life totals and can be eliminated individually. The archenemy has a leg-up in the form of a second deck of oversized Scheme cards. Schemes usually offer incredible abilities and are drawn once a turn (unless specified otherwise by the previous scheme). Schemes are not played in the traditional sense, but rather "set into motion," and enter play at the time they are drawn.

2mg7fc3.jpg17eczc.jpg [img]http://i53.tinypic.com/2ec0v0j.jpg[/timg] [timg]http://i52.tinypic.com/ohl8r9.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately, players will not be able to control the archenemy in DotP, making this a strictly co-op gametype for up to three players.

What if I play paper Magic? Is there any reason I'd want to buy this game?
Aside from the convenience of playing a couple of games digitally against the computer or a friend online, each version of the game also includes a special code that can be redeemed at any MTG "dealer" (read: hobby and book stores) for a free limited edition physical card. Xbox Live purchasers will get a Grave Titan, Steam purchasrs will get a Frost Titan, and PSN purchasers will get an Inferno Titan.

2i1fij8.jpg

All of these are 6/6 mythic rare giant creatures with a mana cost of 4 colorless / 2 black/blue/red mana repsectively, and each with their own unique abilities.

And if that's not good enough, you can pre-order the Steam version for some TF2 hats. Garruk Wildspeaker's face mask, and Chandra Nailar's goggles.

296d5oy.png

So when does this come out and how much will it cost?
The game will be released across all three platforms on June 15, 2011, and will cost $10.00 on Steam and PSN, or the equivalent 800 Microsoft Points on XBLA.

Possibly worth noting, as well, is that the original DotP's promo card sold for around $20-$30 on eBay when it was released, paying for that game's price and then some. As the promos are platform-specific this time, they'll likely sell for slightly more this time around, so if you don't care about the card and have access to a store where you can pick it up, the game will essentially be free, or, better yet, you could make a profit off the game.

Why the hell is it called Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 if it's being released in 2011?
The game's decks are constructed primarily from cards from the upcoming 2012 Core Set.

What about DLC?
No plans have been announced for DLC, but the first DotP had 3 DLC packs, each containing three new playable decks, one new unplayable deck, several new "challenges", achievements/trophies, and several unlockable cards for each deck. It's a safe bet that DLC will be very much the same this time around.

Fuck this digital shit, I want in on the real deal. How do I get started with paper magic?
The Critical failures thread for MTG has a ton of info and really great resources. The absolute best place to start is probably by reading the official rules (PDF link).

Fuck that paper shit, I want in on the real deal, but I live in the middle of nowhere and have no real life friends. What do I do?
You can play Magic Online. The MTGO thread on these here forums contains a load of info. Bear in mind that buying cards on MTGO is pretty expensive for the most part and the client looks like something out of an 80s Sci-Fi movie.

Cynic Jester on

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    However, unlike the first DotP, in DotP 2012, you will be able to remove cards from your core deck after unlocking some new ones, rather than only being able to remove unlocked cards. This allows for much more deck customization and optimization, but still prevents any deck build from becoming overpowered and overplayed.
    Oh, thank God. You couldn't even add or remove basic lands if you wanted to add unlocked cards.
    You'll rarely want to chop your friend's testicles off and shove them violently down their throat, something I can't say is true from my experiences with paper Magic.
    Looks like someone hasn't been Blightning'd or Mind Rot'd twice in a row. :P

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just hope the game is out on Steam by the time I get off work. Want to solve me some puzzles =)

Edit: Game be out now on steam, download is so slow though =(

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, I played Magic as a kid, but no longer have the will or the time to spend obscene amount of money on cards or obscene amounts of time researching and constructing decks. This might be just up my alley. I was scared off from the first one because I thought it was what MtG:O is?

Either way, I may have to give this a shot. For $10 it's not like I'd be out much if it sucks.

Namrok on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just beat the first dude in the campaign.

It's really more of the same, but hell I loved the first so it's fine by me. More decks and more battle options is all good. I'll probably be playing it for a lot longer than some games that cost £40 so for 800 points it's a pretty good bargain.

I will probably buy it again on Steam in some sale too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also one new thing I like, cards unlock in blocks of the same type rather than individuals.

So rather than getting another Angel's Feather you get all three at once per unlock.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    boughted! i'm super psyched for this, I had the original game on 360 and liked it but always regretted not getting it on PC instead.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grabbed it this morning. My friends are hyped to try out Archenemy this weekend.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I <3 this game so much. They've really stepped up a lot of the decks to remove filler crap.

I played the bejeezus out of the original one (it got me to buy some cards even too!), and this one looks much better.

This is also my first experience with Archenemy, and boy is that fun. Flipped the scheme card to make us lose X life for the number of cards we have in our hand on Turn 0, so we all started the game at 13 life! Tons of fun, that is.

I can't wait to unlock all of the decks, and I really hope they put out more expansions than just 3.

Tejs on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So Garruk in multiplayer Archenemy is no joke.

Decimated us in my first match. Probably could have done with at least 1 blue deck to counter his creatures.

Also worth getting a player list up? Playing on 360 now but it's cheap enough that if PC is the dominant platform I may grab it on Steam too.

lego pencil on live.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Garruk in multiplayer Archenemy is no joke.

Decimated us in my first match. Probably could have done with at least 1 blue deck to counter his creatures.

That new wurm he has in his deck is beastly; destroy and blocking or blocked creature and gain life equal to it's toughness?

I'm glad the AI didnt know how to use that card.

My gamertag is Tejs on XBL.

Tejs on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got a deck of awesome. You got a deck of fail.

The first game felt overwhelming for me. I might try again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The game is in my opinion much improved, the AI seems a bit brighter and a lot of the obvious omissions from the last iteration have been fixed...

1)You can now play with more than one AI player, so people with no magic playing chums who don't like strangers can play archenemy and 2 headed giant etc.
    2) Taking out core cards really allows you to boost your decks different strengths, although more so with certain decks.
    3) Archenemy is a TON of fun but incredibly hard unless you vaguely cheat (all illusions, or all elves, vs an archenemy who has no creature stealing powers) since the AI powers vary between useful for it, and game over for you.
    4) The menus are prettier, and the loading times are faster.

My main issue is that the decks themselves feel a little weak compared to their old iterations, espescially those that were very strong before. Elves for example still makes an OK deck, but would be trounced by the old elves deck. Now, this is good for balance, but feels disappointing considering we were just playing with these hugely powerful decks and now it feels like you are playing with their little brothers. I'd have removed the 'overpowering' decks altogether to avoid this feel.

Hopefully there will be lots of DLC. If wizards could put out a deck, 2 more cards for all decks, and 3 challenges each month for say $5 that would be amazing.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How is it they've still not made a game better than the old one I played on PC about 10 years ago?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kelor wrote: »
    How is it they've still not made a game better than the old one I played on PC about 10 years ago?

The old one existed in a time where it was 99% single player gaming, and there was no concern that releasing a full decklist with full customization would destroy paper magic and all Wizards profits. They should do more with planeswalkers (IE, put the overworld map view and campaign in from the old game) but there is little chance of them just giving you 10000 cards and saying 'go nuts!'

I mean, the AI in the new one is much better than that in the old one. As are the graphics, and cards.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That would be another game though.

Honestly I don't want to build a deck from scratch, just modify an existing well built one to suit how I use it and that's what Planeswalkers is about. It's a more accessible experience for people who want to enjoy the game but don't want to spend hours building the right deck or being cheesed by gimmick ones.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kelor wrote: »

14 years ago. The best thing that came out of that Microprose game was that Sid Meier ended up starting Firaxis afterwards. I thought the game to be sub-par at the time but then again I wasn't very into Magic at the time anyway.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That game was my first experience with Magic, but it still offered more options than this new stuff is.

I've not actually played with the cards for years and years but the tinkering about with building a deck is the most enjoyable part for me.

Does everything from the previous one on Steam at least carry across to this new one? The OP seems to indicate it doesn't.

Kelor on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Im stoked this version has Archenemy. Thats going to add a lot of fun to the game. Anyone else get this? I bought it last night.

Having serious issues redeeming my code to get my Frost Titan though. It keeps telling me im under the age of 13 and cant get it, despite the fact my birthday states I am clearly 26.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, it's 2 AM. Son of a bitch. But the game is good. Fun times. Cynic_Jester on steam if anyone wants to murder some archenemies later this week.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is probably worth it just for the ten dollar Inferno Titan, will probably pick this up once I'm back home with the PS3.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Im stoked this version has Archenemy. Thats going to add a lot of fun to the game. Anyone else get this? I bought it last night.

Having serious issues redeeming my code to get my Frost Titan though. It keeps telling me im under the age of 13 and cant get it, despite the fact my birthday states I am clearly 26.

How do you redeem it? Went to the site and they made it sound like I had to go to a card shop to get the card.

Been playing mostly with the green deck, been having fun even though it seems like the AI cheats at times.

I haven't played MTG in years, so I have to ask. I was having a good match against the blue/green deck and it was like 15-20mins in and we both just had a wall of big creatures out there. The opponent was about to run out of cards. When he finally did, I decided to just attack for the hell of it, destroying most of the creatures out. His turn starts and instead of losing, the game throws him 24 cards, what the shit? Are you unable to use mill decks anymore?

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ph blake wrote: »
    This is probably worth it just for the ten dollar Inferno Titan, will probably pick this up once I'm back home with the PS3.

If you can figure out how to get the card, let me know. Wont work for me. Seems like BS so far.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ph blake wrote: »

The Inferno Titan is a POS. Buy it on Steam so you can get the Frost Titan.

EDIT: If you can get the registration site to work, that is.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It indeed tells you to go to a store to pick up the titan...thats stupid. I have no idea where I am supposed to pick it up in my small town.

Elimination on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not a big fan of a lot of the UI changes. Not awful, just feel like DotP1 had things arranged to make mouse users happy, while this is completely optimized for the console crowd without a single ounce of concessions for the different interactions mouse/keyboard can present.

Minor gripes, though, considering it's a game I'll probably pound 70 hours into like I did the first.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TenexTenex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Picked this up last night on the PSN and already sunk quite a bit of time into it. The Archenemy campaign if pretty nifty, but sometimes your teammates AI is ridiculously frustrating. Otherwise, it's pretty much of the same thing from the older Duels of the Planeswalkers game.

Another thing of note is that if you pick it up with PSN+ (who doesn't have it now?) it's only 8 bucks instead $10.

If anybody is down to play some Magic on PSN, let me know! PSN ID is rotar2.

Tenex on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't decide which platform I want to pick this up for.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SO I finally get the registration to stop saying im under 13. It lets me sign up for Canada and says its available anywhere but Quebec...so i sign up as British Columbia...."Not available in your region" at the end of my sign up...what a crock of shit.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Having completed the single player normal campaign I can say that the game is fun but that the addition of a countermagic heavy deck is needed, the karn deck is just absurd against anything but that since he tinkers a collosus into play on turn 3 95% of the time. The only deck I had any success with was the other artifacts deck with a perfect starting hand.

The artifact deck still plays really well, I can see it and illusions being strong contenders for #1 but the other decks are powerful. Artifacts thrives in the format though since it rewards decks with staying power.

Archenemy is a bit insane though. You really have to almost cheat to win with the ai (weakest enemy deck, bs 3 elves or 3 illusions decks) I've won a few games like that, but can't evenmake a serious dent in the campaign. Garruks scheme cards are just so effective.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beat archenemy Koth in one try, Garruk in 2 using Ancient Depths/Realm of Illusion/Unquenchable Fire. Probably 75% luck, 25% the combo meshing pretty well.

e: on medium difficulty

e2: tezzeret in one try

gideon too, this deck combo is a steamroller

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck the first duel in campaign, and my insistence on using the white deck!

I loved duels 1 a lot, and I'm looking forward to burning countless hours on this one as well.

Turkey on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Picked this up for XBLA yesterday.

Unfortunately, I've been playing so much Yu-Gi-Oh on the Wii lately that I need some time adjusting to the way Magic deals with damage and everything.

Still, I'm having fun. On the lowest difficulty setting. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SO I finally get the registration to stop saying im under 13. It lets me sign up for Canada and says its available anywhere but Quebec...so i sign up as British Columbia...."Not available in your region" at the end of my sign up...what a crock of shit.

Probably IP locked. I know Europe is fooked too.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

it's broken right now, check their forums

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Probably IP locked. I know Europe is fooked too.

Yeah but it specifically says when signing up only Quebec is not eligible. Says nothing about the rest of Canada...until you get to the very end and click sign up.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Namrok wrote: »
    You know, I played Magic as a kid, but no longer have the will or the time to spend obscene amount of money on cards or obscene amounts of time researching and constructing decks. This might be just up my alley. I was scared off from the first one because I thought it was what MtG:O is?

Either way, I may have to give this a shot. For $10 it's not like I'd be out much if it sucks.

You're in the same boat I was in when I started in DotP 2011 on the 360. It's fun, but beware....

It was so much fun that I got back into paper magic again. Who knew that my Mishra's Workshops would be worth 200$ dollars apiece now?

seriously

DotP is great for a quick fix and some casual fun. The 2011 version eventually put out 3 "expansions" that added 1-2 decks per xpac and 3 cards per older deck. On the 360 they were 200pts apiece, so around 2-3 bucks per xpac.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Despite their "free card" promo screwing me, which angers me greatly. I am enjoying the actual game a lot. Archenemy is all kinds of fun when you get 4 people in on it.

Elimination on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »
    4) The menus are prettier, and the loading times are faster.

Me likey! The loading times in the first were really annoying.

I'm Steaming this now. Just the thing to kill off some lazy summer days.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, seeing that you could actually remove cards from the deck instantly elevated this from "maybe" to "must buy" for me.

Now hopefully they've improved the algorithm that determines what land to tap, because that fucked me over a few times in the first game too.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK, I'm already stumped by one of these challenges. These kind of card game puzzles frequently stump me.

Welcome to the Pit.
    I start with 2 Bloodthrone Vampires, a Death Cultist, a Lord of the Pit, a tapped Mortivore and one hit point. Sarkhan Vol has one 1/1 creature, two 6/4 creatures and one 9/9 creature with trample. It's his turn and there is no way I can see to put up a defence against his attack (there must be, of course; it's a puzzle. I just don't see it).

Either each one of my creatures blocks one of his creatures and his trampling golem kills me. Or I sacrifice my Mortivore to give one of my Bloodthrone Vampires +2/+2. This allows me to use my Lord of the Pit and my boosted Bloodthrone Vampire to completely block his golem. However, this also means one of his other creatures will make its way through and kill me because I just don't have enough blockers.

WotanAnubis on