As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[deleted]

124»

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Boring7 wrote: »
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I get that you are probably kidding, but acting under the impression school children are too dumb to appreciate science that doesn't involve flash or wow factor is probably part of the problem.

But they are.

Or perhaps I should say their parents are? Or that society as a whole is? The underlying problem remains that unless you dumb science down not enough people are interested in it for our ever-more randian society.

Now, I know I'm riding the nostalgia train with a blindfold on, but it seems like the desired careers of youths today are a lot more focused on making money than the desired careers of yesteryear. Everyone wants to be a lawyer or a middle manager rather than a doctor or an astronaut. I remember reading somewhere that (in the US) lawyers per capita had grown by 400% while doctors per capita remained fairly steady.

Now clearly I'm an old codger shaking his cane at this point, but it really does seem from my limited view like we've changed from building a future to boom-flash and mo' money. Whatever happened to wanting to "be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien lifeform... and fuck it"?

*adjusts onion on belt*

That has more to do with the AMA and the ABA than it does with Nixon's space truck or social mores.

moniker on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I get that you are probably kidding, but acting under the impression school children are too dumb to appreciate science that doesn't involve flash or wow factor is probably part of the problem.

But they are.

Or perhaps I should say their parents are? Or that society as a whole is? The underlying problem remains that unless you dumb science down not enough people are interested in it for our ever-more randian society.
    A big part of my job is to interact with the public with regards to Science education. A lot of adults have very little education (in general) and/or really terrible education. Compound this with most adults not continuing to learn on their own outside of school and you're going to have problems. You can get these people interested in Science though (or at least my salary depends on it).

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pariel wrote: »
    Discussion relating to future of "space" travel:

More serious losses of life and/or failures of space vehicles will occur in the short term as the private space industry grows.

I was talking about this with my mother (who is an expert in privacy law, not astronautics), and wondered what others might think.

I've thought about this as well, and frankly, I don't have a problem with it. Breaking new frontiers is friggin dangerous, now way around that. Look at the great sailing days, or the migration across the west. None of those was without significant risk and frequent loss of life. Space is the same way, being squeemish about deaths along the way isn't going to get us up there. I'm all for making as safe as possible, but there really isn't a way to make a place as hostile as space "safe". So long as the people involved are there of thier own violition, and know the risks involved, let them go. I know I'd go.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Now clearly I'm an old codger shaking his cane at this point, but it really does seem from my limited view like we've changed from building a future to boom-flash and mo' money. Whatever happened to wanting to "be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien lifeform... and fuck it"?

*adjusts onion on belt*

Well, Im well on my way to becoming a lawyer and Im still totally down to be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien life form and fuck it.

But then again I dont really care what I make when I get out of school, so long as it covers my loan payments.

emp123 on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    emp123 wrote: »

*adjusts onion on belt*

Well, Im well on my way to becoming a lawyer and Im still totally down to be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien life form and fuck it.

But then again I dont really care what I make when I get out of school, so long as it covers my loan payments.
    Seeing a new galaxy sounds awesome when you've already got a decent job that makes ends meet. It's harder to focus on that when a huge chunk of the country is unemployed, and the world is rapidly being destroyed.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

*adjusts onion on belt*

Seeing a new galaxy sounds awesome when you've already got a decent job that makes ends meet. It's harder to focus on that when a huge chunk of the country is unemployed, and the world is rapidly being destroyed.

I dunno, kinda seems like an ideal time to get the fuck off the planet if the opportunity is presented to you.

emp123 on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:

*adjusts onion on belt*

I got an idea for an employment project; built this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udi_Cv7wkFw
    (and personally i't suggest solar sail propulsion to get rid of all that fuel)

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Instead of solar sail propulsion you could collect inter-stellar hydrogen and use it to power a fusion reactor.