As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]boy Slim is related to you

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    NO TIME IS WASTED

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Spool: I'm an adult. I mean, on the one hand there isn't really a good reason for me to visit right now. She's asleep, she most likely needs her rest, etc. The whole situation is just very stressful.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The song's name is "Rockafella Skank" goddamn it.

Kids today.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Angsting about my sister's dogmatically low self esteem here.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Does anyone want to sign my petition to end ironic petitions titled "no more petitions!"?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Welcome to notification hell! Population: me.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Gonna meet up with some PAXers and do some drinking in a few hours.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:

Kids today.

I love that Cure song "Melt With You".

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I really want to see my sister but she's already back in france and my next leave and her next vacation does not line up :/

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

I dunno, man. Is it really low self esteem or is it low self esteem + the boost she gets from you saying nice things in response to them? Maybe if you ignored her saying things like that she'd stop. There'd be a big extinction burst of it though since you've reinforced it for awhile.

Or get her in some therapy.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular

I dunno, man. Is it really low self esteem or is it low self esteem + the boost she gets from you saying nice things in response to them? Maybe if you ignored her saying things like that she'd stop. There'd be a big extinction burst of it though since you've reinforced it for awhile.

I've always wondered if it's like this. I have one friend who just constantly output self-deprecating comments until finally I have to say "I don't know how else to tell you that you're not <insert problem of the week>" and then she just stops.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Kids today.

I love that Cure song "Melt With You".

:/

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Whenever we tell her she's not fat/ugly/dumb, she automatically rejects this.

• Options

Have you tried to approach it from informing her how self sabotaging and damaging her outlook is going to be for herself? Not guarantee that she'll be responsive to it though. You need to try other vectors, is what I'm trying to say.

I used to have really low self esteem, and I have no idea what caused it to change, otherwise I'd try to give you advice. Getting through puberty helped a lot.

• Options

I've always wondered if it's like this. I have one friend who just constantly output self-deprecating comments until finally I have to say "I don't know how else to tell you that you're not <insert problem of the week>" and then she just stops.

"Are you trying to say I hang out with losers? You think I'm a loser, don't you. This is your way of saying I'm a loser.".

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    @RMSOceanic Regarding this post. Ugh, yeah that's a rough situation. Have you told her plainly (the way you did in that post) what you've just told us? Wording can make a big difference sometimes, especially when someone's hearing good things from family. It's too easy sometimes to think 'well, they're family, of course they think well of me so they don't really count'.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

What happens is she says "I don't believe you." but she's still receiving compliments that she is eliciting. It's almost guaranteed to be attention seeking to do it on that level, not actual venting and worrying.

• Options
    For many people putting themselves down can be just fishing for compliments.

Someone who does it all the time though probably has legitimate self worth issues.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Good thing I'm here to post Accurate Facts About Apple.

From my Macbook.

*sips latte*

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Maybe she needs to go on a date, Root-mean-square.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    God, I was a bit late, wasn't I?

Please delete my thread Jacob.

• Options
    So it is either a sign of depression "I am broken and I can't fix myself because it is too big of a problem." or attention seeking "I am broken, oh thank you for telling me I'm pretty, but I don't believe you." OR a combination of the two.

• Options
    Echo wrote:

From my Macbook.

*sips latte*

Microsoft Orbital Laser. Locked. On.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

Someone who does it all the time though probably has legitimate self worth issues.

I try not to fish for compliments.

I just accept the fact that I'm not good at anything.

Unless any of you feel otherwise about me...?

Fill in this blank if you feel I am not totally worthless: ______________________________________________________________________________________

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I don't have time for friends.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

It's OK, it uses Bing Maps for targeting.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Echo wrote:

From my Macbook.

*sips latte*

I just don't get it. I even tried to equivocate and go 'well, to be fair, both sides get pretty stupid sometimes'. And he, with a straight face, goes YEAH BUT THE STUFF I'M SAYING ABOUT THEM IS RIGHT.

me: o_o

• Options
    You're very bird like. I would say you move like and resemble a bird, Drez. Did that help?

• Options

What happens is she says "I don't believe you." but she's still receiving compliments that she is eliciting. It's almost guaranteed to be attention seeking to do it on that level, not actual venting and worrying.

OK more seriously, try a different tactic:

Rather than denying what she says "No you're not xyz!", try asking her "If you really feel like that, what can we do to help you change? Let's take some positive steps, make a plan right now with three things you can do to stop being xyz. We've got your back however we can."

Turn it into a discussion of how to fix things, rather than a pointless back-and-forth.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote:

You were so late you might actually be pregnant.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Because of Passer I watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4

I was like "whoa"

• Options
    Echo wrote:

I was picturing Sam Rockwell from Iron Man 2 and yes the laser basically powers up for 10 mins then just makes a sputtering noise. Maybe a bead of sweat pops out on your forehead.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Fill in this blank if you feel I am not totally worthless: Really big satisfying penis______________________________________________________________

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Haphazard wrote:

You were so late you might actually be pregnant.

Thank god, I thought I was fat!

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote:
    Because of Passer I watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4

I was like "whoa"

Yeeeeup. :)

• Options
    Spool has good advice. It may take therapy though if she's actually super depressed.

• Options
    Or just can't deal without the attention. :D

• Options
    Echo wrote:

I was picturing Sam Rockwell from Iron Man 2 and yes the laser basically powers up for 10 mins then just makes a sputtering noise. Maybe a bead of sweat pops out on your forehead.

Giant package of jiffy pop. Kernels of yellow popcorn bursting like a blister.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

Fill in this blank if you feel I am not totally worthless: Really big satisfying penis______________________________________________________________

Whew.

• Options
    See, but Val Kilmer's laser actually worked well because he is a man.

This discussion has been closed.